ADVERTISEMENT

Udoka out indefinitely

Don't believe we'll see Udoka again until February at the earliest.

That blows. Hopefully he will spend that entire time out shooting free throws. He would be deadly if he could nail that part of his game down.

Reactions: KisteK
Sorry for the bad luck. Kid gets injured every year.. I feel for the kid.. I’ve got some horrible dna luck myself

Care to share. There's some doctors on here, some guys that might have it not know, and some ppl just curious.

It’s a long story. It’s my spine.... but I’m sure some KU doctors would just say it’s an ankle sprain LOL

Unfortunately for me, my spinal canal is too narrow, curving in and severe stenosis.. I wish they would control paralyze me the pain is awful...

Last edited:
I’ve had a high ankle sprain before, it was a few months before I could run again. Hopefully his isn’t as bad.

I’ve had a high ankle sprain before, it was a few months before I could run again. Hopefully his isn’t as bad.

Are you 7’ and weigh 270?

Unfortunately for KU fans I don’t see this guy at 100% the rest of the season. He may be back but man these feet/ankle injuries are tough. Duke fans know all to well about them. Next man up

Are you 7’ and weigh 270?

Unfortunately for KU fans I don’t see this guy at 100% the rest of the season. He may be back but man these feet/ankle injuries are tough. Duke fans know all to well about them. Next man up

I don't think he will be either. This will be 3 years in a row.

I personally, like our 4 and 1 offense we have been playing the last few years though.

D. Lawson/Dotson/Grimes/Vick/Garrett is a fast starting 5 and can put up points quick on people.

I don't think he will be either. This will be 3 years in a row.

I personally, like our 4 and 1 offense we have been playing the last few years though.

D. Lawson/Dotson/Grimes/Vick/Garrett is a fast starting 5 and can put up points quick on people.

Self runs on offense that always seems to revolve around having a true post player. Will be interesting watching him go “small” ball.

He’s a damn good coach. He will figure it out.

Self runs on offense that always seems to revolve around having a true post player. Will be interesting watching him go “small” ball.

He’s a damn good coach. He will figure it out.

KU has played small ball for the last 2 years and you could even say 2 1/2 years after halfway through 2016 Self realized Ellis playing outside-in was better than inside-out. I'm sure you were talking about the fact that Dedric isn't a true center like KU has had the last 3 years with Lucas and Dok. I actually think that will make KU even more wide open as they can run all 5 guys in the weave creating mismatches.

KU has played small ball for the last 2 years and you could even say 2 1/2 years after halfway through 2016 Self realized Ellis playing outside-in was better than inside-out. I'm sure you were talking about the fact that Dedric isn't a true center like KU has had the last 3 years with Lucas and Dok. I actually think that will make KU even more wide open as they can run all 5 guys in the weave creating mismatches.

That sounds pretty good really. Looking forward to see that in action.

Indefinitely means for an unspecified period of time. So no he is not out indefinitely, being that you posted a time. That would be like saying I'm not sure how long he'll be out, but it will be 4-6 weeks.

I hope that is the case. High ankle sprains can take a few months to come back from. They linger.

Hopefully bill is more honest regarding injuries than K. It’s always a damn secret at Duke and it drives me crazy. Not sure why K operates that way regarding injuries. Praying hard it won’t be an issue this year.

Reactions: denniden
We need Dok to be successful. He is key to helping defend strong post players. The sooner he comes back the better obviously.

Indefinitely means for an unspecified period of time. So no he is not out indefinitely, being that you posted a time. That would be like saying I'm not sure how long he'll be out, but it will be 4-6 weeks.

I did edit the post once they said ankle sprain. I like your username tho.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: toonces11
I bet that he’s not back until Kentucky.
I sure hope he is back before conference play. We were deep in the post...but no Silvio and no dok negates that. Dmac is high energy and Mitch is a stop gap---those are our best low post defenders right now and thats scary. Lawson is crafty, but lacks strength and certainly isn't a rim protector. He can get bullied in the paint. Nova will def be interesting now

Reactions: speedfrk and KisteK
Hopefully bill is more honest regarding injuries than K. It’s always a damn secret at Duke and it drives me crazy. Not sure why K operates that way regarding injuries. Praying hard it won’t be an issue this year.
I get where you are coming from but I tend to feel the opposite. I'd rather Coach K keep everything possible in house.

They'll still rout UK.
We might win, but we don't route anybody.

This year our games consist of 30-35 minutes of shit play and 5-10 minutes of really really good play that gets barely gets us enough to win.

Now...this is common of Self teams to be very bleh during November and December before he gets the formula right, so maybe we'll be playing better by then. But without Dok, I doubt it. We don't have good shooters this year, so our one major advantage was the fact that our big guy cleans up down low and forces teams into jump shots, but without having him down low, our defense will take a big step back imo. We actually play passable defense on the 3 point line when he's in the game, but when he's out, we sag in too much to make up for his absence. Lawson just isn't a big defender. He's a long body and moves pretty well for his size, but he can't jump and he's not a shot blocker.

If De Sousa somehow gets eligible we may have something, but I'm not confident of that happening.

Reactions: KisteK
I get where you are coming from but I tend to feel the opposite. I'd rather Coach K keep everything possible in house.
I say unless the player wants his injury status to be kept confidential, you might as well be honest about injuries. If you're afraid you'll lose an advantage over an opponent based on their knowledge of your injured players, then you don't have much confidence in your team.

I actually think we've performed better in the post-season as a result of going small-ball. Less of a chance of having an off night shooting when every guy on the court can shoot. Upsets happen in the tourney to teams that orient around big men because teams hack and muddy up the inside(and refs often swallow the whistle during the opening weekend) and force you to beat them with jump shots, which puts pressure on the shoulders of the shooters. If you don't have a ton of shooters, this can hamper you against mid-major programs. I still think that once you get out of the opening weekend, it's usually best to have a solid performance down low, though Nova kind of shows that this isn't necessary. So...the opening weekend, and perhaps the second weekend, give me Bill's small ball teams he's put out the last few years. But once we get to the final four, give me his old Aldrich/Withey/Kaun/Jackson/Morrii teams of the past.

This year's team doesn't have the shooters to go small ball. Vick is a very good shooter, especially now, but if he has an off night(like last night) we can and will struggle to beat ANYBODY.

ADVERTISEMENT