ADVERTISEMENT

UCONN - What will become of this program?

Ipartiedwithhopgood

Jan 20, 2011
As good as anybody over the years, if not better, but I fear this program is going to get hurt badly by realignment.

What are your thoughts?

Will UCONN maintain residence as an elite program despite being in the AAC?

Or will they slide? If yes, how much of a slide?

And just how long do you see them in the AAC? Do you think they are left out for a while, or on the move soon?

I love UCONN's fans and the teams they've had over the years. It would be a shame if they struggled moving forward because the Big East folded and they got left out of getting an invite to a legit league.

Thoughts?

Personally, I don't think the conference affiliation is hurting them that much. Even though they suck, they're still on TV all of the time. If a team like Gonzaga can maintain the success they'd have over the years, surely a school like UConn could do it as well.

I believe it really comes down to the man in charge. If Kevin Ollie is the right guy for the job, then UConn will continue to roll going forward. If Ollie bolts for the NBA or if he is just a flash in the pan success then UConn may slowly begin to fade as a powerhouse.

Edit: UofL won two of their 3 titles in the Metro lol.

This post was edited on 2/12 9:05 PM by manu1433

Conference affiliation really doesn't matter much if you have an elite program with a good coach. With that said I'd rather slit my throat than go back to playing Rice, Houston and SMU every night

There's enough talent in the system where we're going to be on the national radar for at least the next couple years. But if we don't get a P5 invite soon the well will eventually dry up.

Uconn traditional done poor the year after they win a title, but this year really hurts

as a uconn fan it has been very very very hard to watch them play this year. Uconn needs the acc or B10 in the next two or three years there can be a real issue.... this team has not developed the way I thought they would. Hamilton has been good at times but also has issues at time. Purvis has been so so at best...boat is a great second man

they did beat Tulsa by alot tonight

Man- I have to tip my hat to Uconn and I think they will be fine.

Hard to believe they have more championships than UL and almost as many as other blue bloods

Originally posted by ManRoar:

Hard to believe they have more championships than UL and almost as many as other blue bloods
uconn is a baby compared to some of those blue bloods. 1st title in 99... Calhoun is a very very underrated

Originally posted by Dr.O1:

uconn is a baby compared to some of those blue bloods. 1st title in 99... Calhoun is a very very underrated
Yeah but still. Can't ignore 4 titles. UL's first title was the 80's for example.

only by the fly-by-night fans
the real CBB fans know how good he was
i was never a JC fan but he was one of the greatest coaches to ever coach the game

can you imagine what he could have done at a blue blood program

now we find out if Ollie is the next JC or the next Tubby

This post was edited on 2/12 11:15 PM by mebeblue2

I don't ever see an invite from the ACC or Big 10. It's just not there in football. UConn would be better off folding their football program and joining the rest of the basketball onlys in the Big East.

Hell, I'm not sure why the ACC doesn't just extend UConn an invite as a bball only school. If Notre Dame is going to continue to be independent in football then you might as well balance the divisions.

All I know is, UCONN doesn't get the respect it deserves as a program.

Originally posted by manu1433:
If a team like Gonzaga can maintain the success they'd have over the years, surely a school like UConn could do it as well.

There are some travel issues in play for UCONN that don't exist for Gonzaga.

Edit: UofL won two of their 3 titles in the Metro lol.

Memphis was pretty good a number of years in the 70s and 80s and pushed Louisville during the Metro era. I don't see anything close to that in the AAC to help UCONN.

This post was edited on 2/13 6:56 AM by Ipartiedwithhopgood

Uconn traditional done poor the year after they win a title, but this year really hurts
Dr I'm not looking at this in terms of this year at all.

While it is kind of odd to be approaching March and seeing UCONN on the other side of the bubble this year, my question is more about the long haul outlook of the program.

I think the ACC brought in ND to try to get their football program to join down the line. It's a good deal for the ACC because ND is playing ACC teams now.

The B1G ain't gonna come knockin on that door. They don't move the needle enough ($$$$$$$$). It's a shame. But who wants to see Indiana v. UConn in the B1G East in October?

The B1G is the richest conference, and is only looking to expand for more dollars. Maryland was added for the DMV market and Rutgers to get into the NYC market. Right now the B1G, SEC, ACC, & PAC are all waiting and manipulating the final dominos to fall in the Big 12.

I could see GaTech moving to the B1G, and everyone wants Texas.

UConn and Cincy are left without chairs. If the Big12 was smart they'd be grabbing Cincy and whoever else they can to try to stabilize. UConn might actually be too far geographically even for the Big12.

I know this is a conference realignment post instead of UConn, but I agree with everyone else that UConn can still be very good while being a member of the AAC, but it really makes it tough to be great.

"If Ollie is a flash in the pan success".

I don't think so. His team was dismantled late, by UL. Only to regroup, Nd win the title.

That's coaching.

Originally posted by Don Pitinos Cards:
I think the ACC brought in ND to try to get their football program to join down the line. It's a good deal for the ACC because ND is playing ACC teams now.
they don't share the TV money.

How can that be a good deal.

The ACC is begging them. Screw Notre Dame, kick them out in basketball.

Hope they get rid of their program. Kevin Ollie won with calhouns players and that place will never be the same. Even with Calhoun running the show behind the scenes.

Originally posted by Bert Higginbotha:

ACC is begging who for what?

Originally posted by GE Nole:

Originally posted by Bert Higginbotha:

ACC is begging who for what?
The ACC took Notre Dame basketball to get four or five football games with Notre Dame but not share in the NBC football money.

If the ACC had been dealing from a position of strength they would have told Notre Dame to stay in the Big East and stick their football. But the ACC wants to become more relevant in football and stooped to get the name Notre Dame if only in basketball just like the Big East did years ago.

The ACC was begging for a decent name for their conference. Sorry but that is the way I see it. Plus Notre Dame football is not even a shadow of what it was before the BCS forced the playoff where you had to win on the field instead of a popularity contest by the AP.

Begging is what I see.

Originally posted by Ipartiedwithhopgood:
As good as anybody over the years, if not better, but I fear this program is going to get hurt badly by realignment.

What are your thoughts?

Will UCONN maintain residence as an elite program despite being in the AAC?

Or will they slide? If yes, how much of a slide?

And just how long do you see them in the AAC? Do you think they are left out for a while, or on the move soon?

I love UCONN's fans and the teams they've had over the years. It would be a shame if they struggled moving forward because the Big East folded and they got left out of getting an invite to a legit league.

Thoughts?
the barriers to elite status is not nearly as great in basketball for a mid-major as it is in football

Seems they struggle to make it to the NCAA tournament, what a misery. Maybe they should consider hiring choke artist coaches like Jamie Dickson, Bruce Weber, John Thompson III and Frank Haith. Yeah they won’t make it past the first weekend of NCAA tournament, but at least they can take UConn to dance in March consistently.

only by the fly-by-night fans
the real CBB fans know how good he was
i was never a JC fan but he was one of the greatest coaches to ever coach the game

can you imagine what he could have done at a blue blood program

now we find out if Ollie is the next JC or the next Tubby

This post was edited on 2/12 11:15 PM by mebeblue2

hmm

ADVERTISEMENT