ADVERTISEMENT

UCONN fans

WojoRising

Jul 3, 2015
Who are some names for the next HC being thrown around? Curious what caliber of coach you expect to pull

I think they've suffered more than any other team from the break up of the old big east. Would like to see if Geno could have success coaching the men's team.

That would be very interesting.

He'd be in over his head IMO.

The coaching in the Big East was pretty ridiculous...

Calhoun, Boeheim, Pitino, Huggins, Wright, Dixon, Brey, etc.
Most of those coaches went to the ACC to join K, Roy, etc. I think the ACC had 4 or 5 Hall of Fame coaches at one point... Then Pitino did some stuff.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Yeah, I'd definitely tune into UConn games to see that.

Side note... it's honestly sickening that Kevin fvcking Ollie has a NC and guys like Huggins and some other really great coaches don't.
I don't give a sh*t about UCONN but I'm still annoyed as f*ck everytime I think about how Ollie got Calhoun's 4th nattie. In my eyes Calhoun has 4 natties and Ollie has 0, I don't care what the facts are in this case. Most undeserving nattie winner. I liked Calhoun, lol. He recruited and built that 4th nattie team, he should've waited just a little bit until retiring, dammit! Haha.

He coached at Providence and with the Celtics. He has the New England accent down.
As a Celtic fan, I can’t call what he did in Boston “coaching.” Set back the entire franchise about a decade. To be fair he much was much worse of a GM than he was a coach. So a combination of being over his head.

RI coach and Xavier are the two coaches being tossed around. Uconn blows and I am a fan for life... hurts.

RI coach and Xavier are the two coaches being tossed around. Uconn blows and I am a fan for life... hurts.
Mack wouldn't leave Xavier for UConn. He is from Cincinnati and played at Xavier. The only other job he would consider would be Louisville, IMO... where his wife is from. Besides, Xavier is a better job right now anyway.

Reactions: saliva
Mack wouldn't leave Xavier for UConn. He is from Cincinnati and played at Xavier. The only other job he would consider would be Louisville, IMO... where his wife is from. Besides, Xavier is a better job right now anyway.

Yes it is

Just a couple years ago the UConners were telling us about their big following.

Note the empty seats.

That was over an hour before the game it looks like. I've been critical of UConn's fan base in the past but I think they're handling the current situation about as well as you could expect. They should have BC's place in the ACC.

As for the OP's question, Hurley is the name I've heard the most. I'd think that'd be on the outer limits of the caliber of coach we can pull in at this point. Matthews, Terrell, and Robinson are gone after this season, so I think if he's going to move, that would be the time. The A-10 is a shell of its former self - the AAC and Big East occupy the space that used to be theirs and the recent expansions that brought the league to 15 teams were a disaster. Barring another top job opening unexpectedly, UConn might be somewhat appealing. He could stay in New England and maintain his inroads on the recruiting trail there and also enjoy the luxuries of a decent sized fan base and great facilities. He'd also have the chance to grow south to New York, Baltimore, Philly, and other parts of the east coast. Again the conference would be a step up for him which would make it easier to overlook the AAC, although one thing to keep in mind is that UConn's conference situation is very much in flux and the interest of a new coach could hinge on UConn conditionally agreeing to join the Big East. Much easier to recruit out of the Big East than the AAC in the northeast.

I've heard names like Steve Pikell and Donyell Marshall thrown around, but I doubt they want to stay in house again. I can't imagine Chris Mack or Greg McDermott would answer, but who knows.

Also, it's no guarantee that they fire Ollie after this year. His buyout drops after the 2019 season and the athletic department is in dire straits financially after they just had to swallow a big check to get rid of the football coach Bob Diaco. Paying Ollie's buyout on top of the new coach (who will command significant money) is no slam dunk given the AAC TV deal.

Do you think he'd leave his alma mater for the town his wife his from? Do you think UConn is better than UL in anyway other than National Championships?

Do you think he'd leave his alma mater for the town his wife his from? Do you think UConn is better than UL in anyway other than National Championships?
The differences being that Louisville could offer a hell of a lot more money than Xavier ever could and they play in a major conference along with only being an hour and a half from Cincinnati.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Ollie need to coach a mid major for 100 or 200 games before uconn. He has turned uconn into low major

UConn is nothing without the Big East and that’s what has turned y’all into. “Low Major “

So will UConn ever be relevant again?

Or was Calhoun + the Big East just the perfect mix?

ADVERTISEMENT