ADVERTISEMENT

Uconn - 2 games away from blue blood status?

Uconn has been a blueblood since its last title. Your criteria basically says no one will ever else become a blue blood. That’s just beyond dumb

No, they join the “club” when they at least somewhat catch up in other categories.

What’s dumb is thinking that a program can do literally nothing for a decade, then make a run and gain blueblood status.

The number one factor for being considered a blublood is consistent greatness, not just banners.

Are you the authority on this topic, an Auburn fan???

So you're saying that if UNC has a couple of more seasons like this year you're not going to be a blue blood anymore? Same goes for last year too.

Consecutive 20-13 regular seasons isn't too blue bloodish.

At least by your own standards, you wouldn't consider yourself a blue blood anymore.

Reactions: AuHoosier420
So you're saying that if UNC has a couple of more seasons like this year you're not going to be a blue blood anymore? Same goes for last year too.

At least by your own standards, you wouldn't consider yourself a blue blood anymore.
This board is the most fun because of how delusional and tone depth unc, Kansas, Uk, and duke fans are. It’s why I have a blast here

I'm saying you have to be consistent. UNC has built up enough equity to have a few bad seasons, just like the other bluebloods
2016- Lost to Villanova in the title game
2017- Won the title
2018- Lost in S16
2019- Lost in S16
2020- COVID
2021- Lost in first round
2022- Lost to KU in the title game

Also UNC didn't go 20-13 in back to back seasons , so in the last 5 years where has UNC fallen off? I can go back further if you like but that will include more FF appearances and titles.

This board is the most fun because of how delusional and tone depth unc, Kansas, Uk, and duke fans are. It’s why I have a blast here

LOL

Literally everything you type is backwards. Are you actually delusional enough to think your takes represent the opinions of a majority of b-ball fans and analysts?

Reactions: Scotty00
My personal qualifications to be considered BB are

Titles
Conf titles
Tourney titles
FF
All time wins
NBA players, NBA HOF
Multiple HOF coaches (this one duke misses)
Historically good in multiple decades dating back to the invention of basketball.
Rich tradition and history

Here is a litmus test, if Hurley left after the tourney , could Uconn hand pick whomever they wants as their next coach. Because, except for some exceptions, KU UK UNC and DUKE all can.

My opinion, no team can time travel and have the history of KU UK UNC DUKE and UCLA from 1900 - 2023... There can't be any new blue bloods. It's an exclusive club.

My personal qualifications to be considered BB are

Titles
Conf titles
Tourney titles
FF
All time wins
NBA players, NBA HOF
Multiple HOF coaches (this one duke misses)
Historically good in multiple decades dating back to the invention of basketball.
Rich tradition and history

Here is a litmus test, if Hurley left after the tourney , could Uconn hand pick whomever they wants as their next coach. Because, except for some exceptions, KU UK UNC and DUKE all can.

My opinion, no team can time travel and have the history of KU UK UNC DUKE and UCLA from 1900 - 2023... There can't be any new blue bloods. It's an exclusive club.

Don't forget HELMS titles, lol

Don't forget HELMS titles, lol
Regular season titles are very foreign to iowa fans. Well, winning is very foreign to iowa fans. Well, not being an idiot out wandering around is very foreign to iowa folk.

Never stop being you please

Don’t plan to.

Come back when you find somebody who agrees that blueblood status is determined by adding up titles. Hold on, let me clarify…someone who isn’t a fellow football school doofus. 🤣

From a poster on the rupp rafters

No. Not the term blue blood. Power maybe
Blueblood means long time and inevitability.
Number 1, doing this over 25 years is not support. Thats a short time.
They didn't do anything in the 80s or the last 9 years.
Its more than just championships.
They have 6 final Fours. Bluebloods blew past that number years ago.
Bluebloods should be a power in their conference. In the past 18 years, Uconn won 2 conference tournaments and 2 regular season titles.
They are 27th in all time wins.

There's no sense of awe about uconn.
The head coach of Arkansas is not going to crawl to Hartford to coach Uconn.
North Carolina could probably hire Danny Hurley tomorrow if they wanted.
Did you know Danny Hurley was coach of UConn before this year?
They don't really have a fan base. They average 70 or 80 percent capacity for attendance.
Quick, name the arena Uconn plays in. Rupp, Pauley, Allen, Cameron, Dean, and.......
Espn is not hyping uconn games for ratings. And that's why espn was created.

Bluebloods should be a power in their conference. In the past 18 years, Uconn won 2 conference tournaments and 2 regular season titles.

They don't really have a fan base. They average 70 or 80 percent capacity for attendance.
Quick, name the arena Uconn plays in. Rupp, Pauley, Allen, Cameron, Dean, and.......
This is from a Uconn Message board:

“UConn made its 6th Final Four in the last 25 years. UConn has been in 24% of the Final Fours starting with the 1998-1999 season. UConn has done this with three different coaches, which is just as impressive. Most programs that have made Final Fours with more than one or two coaches have needed decades and decades to do it. Indiana is an example.

UConn has been in 11 of the last 34 Elite 8's. That is an amazing statistic going back a long way. UConn has finished the season with one of the 8 best teams in the country about 1/3 of the time.

If this team can win two more games, UConn would join UNC, Kentucky and Kansas as the only programs to have won Championships with three different coaches. Kansas and UNC have to look back to the 1950's to find their third coach's championship. Kentucky has an impressive 5 different coaches winning championships, although not surprisingly, Calipari only has one ring.

UConn is in pretty rarified company with this track record. UConn is a Blue Blood.”

This is from a Uconn Message board:

“UConn made its 6th Final Four in the last 25 years. UConn has been in 24% of the Final Fours starting with the 1998-1999 season. UConn has done this with three different coaches, which is just as impressive. Most programs that have made Final Fours with more than one or two coaches have needed decades and decades to do it. Indiana is an example.

UConn has been in 11 of the last 34 Elite 8's. That is an amazing statistic going back a long way. UConn has finished the season with one of the 8 best teams in the country about 1/3 of the time.

If this team can win two more games, UConn would join UNC, Kentucky and Kansas as the only programs to have won Championships with three different coaches. Kansas and UNC have to look back to the 1950's to find their third coach's championship. Kentucky has an impressive 5 different coaches winning championships, although not surprisingly, Calipari only has one ring.

UConn is in pretty rarified company with this track record. UConn is a Blue Blood.”

All it really boils down to is this:

Those who consider Indiana a blueblood would probably consider UConn one. Or should. Their all-time numbers would be very similar and UConn deserves points for accomplishing a lot recently.

Those who think the only bluebloods are UNC, Kentucky, KU and Duke aren’t going to be open to it. Obviously if they won’t include UCLA, they’re not going to add UConn.

Personally, I think UCLA is definitely one, and Indiana and UConn are debatable. Both are way behind the others in win% and just about everything but titles. If either could sustain some success for awhile, they’d be no doubters. This is UConn’s first above average year in a decade.

The first paragraph is an actual argument. the second paragraph is nothing but unadulterated nonsense and has no value whatsover.

Reactions: bMORE607
I'm saying you have to be consistent. UNC has built up enough equity to have a few bad seasons, just like the other bluebloods
2016- Lost to Villanova in the title game
2017- Won the title
2018- Lost in S16
2019- Lost in S16
2020- COVID
2021- Lost in first round
2022- Lost to KU in the title game

Also UNC didn't go 20-13 in back to back seasons , so in the last 5 years where has UNC fallen off? I can go back further if you like but that will include more FF appearances and titles.
Oh, so you're good enough to set your own rules and get to apply them when you want or don't want. Essentially as you deem necessary to fit your agenda.

They didn't have a final 4 for the first 60 years of the tournament so no, the answer is no.

Good point. Better kick Indiana out.

In seriousness, to some, "blueblood" denotes having history and tradition. To those people, UConn could win the next 10 and it wouldn't matter.
Honestly Blue blood status should be treated like premier league soccer leagues status where you can be promoted and demoted

Reactions: Chanman492
Don’t know, but I do know looking at all-time wins rather than all-time winning PERCENTAGE is dumb.

EDIT: I think there’s a clear cutoff after UK, UNC, KU, UCLA and Duke just because of how dominant they’ve been in the modern era most similar to what we’ll see for the foreseeable future (3-point line added, modern NCAAT seeding format, etc.). That’s a very easy cutoff if you want to gatekeep the term Blue Blood.

I think if you are going to extend it, you add Indiana, Louisville and at this point both UConn and Villanova…

UCONN is in the conversation, but to act like KU isn't a Blueblood is insane. Most wins ever, most conference titles, 4th most final fours, 4 tournament titles, 2 Helms titles(make fun of it all you want, it was the title at the time), most All Americans, inventor of basketball, father of modern basketball & reason for USA basketball (Allen), I mean that's a blueblood.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT