ADVERTISEMENT

UCLA fans: Is Alford on the hot seat?

srams21

Gold Member
May 23, 2004
You fired Howland after he won a conference title and 3 final fours.

Alford has zero conference titles and never made it past the sweet 16.

What's the feeling of the Bruin fanbase or others on Alford's seat in LA?

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Not sure how anyone could have had high expectations for this UCLA team. They lost their top 4 players from last year; they lost an unexpected OAD in Anigbogu; they had 3 freshmen this year that weren't eligible after the incident in China... I'll say Holiday goes pro and everyone else returns. They have the #3 recruiting class coming in. UCLA should be a top 10-15 next year. If Alford has a repeat of 2018, then yes, I think he would certainly be on the hot seat. But with a limited supporting cast, I don't think much could have been expected of UCLA in 2018... 2019 should be a different story.

Not sure how anyone could have had high expectations for this UCLA team. They lost their top 4 players from last year; they lost an unexpected OAD in Anigbogu; they had 3 freshmen this year that weren't eligible after the incident in China... I'll say Holiday goes pro and everyone else returns. They have the #3 recruiting class coming in. UCLA should be a top 10-15 next year. If Alford has a repeat of 2018, then yes, I think he would certainly be on the hot seat. But with a limited supporting cast, I don't think much could have been expected of UCLA in 2018... 2019 should be a different story.
Agreed, hes terrible but will get one more year

I'm not saying just this year. More, overall.

He went 15-17 just two years ago and has yet to put together a season even remotely close to what Howland did. It just surprises me that UCLA is okay with those results overall.

5 seasons. 2 top 25 finishes for Alford at UCLA. With the high level of recruiting, shouldn't more be expected?

They should expect more, certainly. More Top 10 finishes, a Final Four, or at least an Elite 8 in the next 2-3 years. I would think the UCLA fanbase wants their program to better than just "good." They want to be great - and have consistency.

I suppose UCLA took Howland's success for granted. 3 Final Fours doesn't come easy. I'm sure they also grew a bit impatient when the Bruins failed to make it to the 2nd weekend during his last 5 years...

I went to the game last night. Did not hear any rumbling form Bruins fans abut Alford, and I was in the UCLA donor section. FWIW, Holiday, Ali and Wilkes looked really, really good (except for the turnovers). The Bigs (Welsh, Goloman and Olesinski) all struggled though. Was a Bonnie Good night at the Dayton-Bonaventure Arena!

It's getting warm. Next year should be a big year for ucla. Alford can't underachieve next year

Well, first of all. This isnt the old days anymore. Its a more competitive landscape.

Kentucky just went 10-8 in the SEC, neither Duke or UNC won either the regular season or conf title.

At UCLA he has 3 Sweet 16s in 5 years. Not exactly terrible.

All these schools with past success feel entitled to certain results but just look at Georgetown, Saint Johns, and Indiana - all sucked and missed the tournament the past couple seasons so it can always be worse than getting into the tournament and giving yourself a chance.

Yeah I still never figured out why they hired him. Mediocre coach who has begotten mediocre results.

Tried telling people the Alford/IU noise was purely from Alford's people. The results considering the talent is underwhelming.

Reactions: klize17
Well, first of all. This isnt the old days anymore. Its a more competitive landscape.

Kentucky just went 10-8 in the SEC, neither Duke or UNC won either the regular season or conf title.

At UCLA he has 3 Sweet 16s in 5 years. Not exactly terrible.

All these schools with past success feel entitled to certain results but just look at Georgetown, Saint Johns, and Indiana - all sucked and missed the tournament the past couple seasons so it can always be worse than getting into the tournament and giving yourself a chance.

Possibly. But, I don't think UCLA measures success by Sweet 16's. Hence why they fired Lavin and then Howland.

However, one of those Sweet 16 seasons, UCLA barely got in as an 11 seed after a very mediocre season. They upset the 6 seed and got lucky when the 3 seed Iowa St. lost in the first round.

At any rate, I think next year is a do or die year for Stevie and his tenure at UCLA.

Possibly. But, I don't think UCLA measures success by Sweet 16's. Hence why they fired Lavin and then Howland.

However, one of those Sweet 16 seasons, UCLA barely got in as an 11 seed after a very mediocre season. They upset the 6 seed and got lucky when the 3 seed Iowa St. lost in the first round.

At any rate, I think next year is a do or die year for Stevie and his tenure at UCLA.
Ugh! I was @ Louisville for the UAB Upset over Iowa State and the UCLA win over SMU that year in the Round of 64.

Iowa State had a damn good team that year. I picked them to go to the Elite 8 I believe.
Just laid an egg that day. Odd thing is that ISU rarely loses in the first round of the Tournament. IIRC, the last two times they laid that egg was in 2014 as a # 3 seed vs. UAB and in 2001 as a #2 seed vs. Hampton. Oh well, didn't even have a chance to lay an egg this year!.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT