Two tankers torpedoed in the Persian Gulf

Discussion in 'College Football Soundoff' started by Deathroll, Jun 13, 2019.

1. ALMDawgfan

ALMDawgfan Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Only because we choose to ignore our deposits in areas deemed too "Nice" to exploit.... We still export quite a bit of the oil we do pump out....

2. TJW4SC

TJW4SC Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Which countries have such capability?

3. Deathroll

Deathroll Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

That puts us at the mercy of OPEC. We’ve already seen where that leads. It also requires us to be far more militarily involved than we would need to be were we near self sufficiency. Finally, that is much worse for the economy. Everything from an exploding trade deficit to lots of good paying jobs in the oil and gas industry would vanish.....and as I said it may all be for nothing. We may eventually develop another energy source and thus never get the value of our own fossil fuel resources.

Ergo drill baby drill.

4. ALMDawgfan

Expand Collapse

Probably a world wide effort by the "shadow governments" to prop up flagging oil prices...

[​IMG]

5. Deathroll

Expand Collapse

Fortunately ANWR is going to finally get drilled in the next few years. I just wish we could drill along the eastern Caribbean and along the Atlantic coast. We have exploitable oil and gas in some of those areas.

jobea01 and ALMDawgfan like this.
  6. CardX

CardX Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Naval mine?

7. ALMDawgfan

Expand Collapse

Yus.... I wish one of our largest was right off Martha's Vineyard...

[​IMG]

RedR8der4Life and Deathroll like this.
  8. iliketrafficlights

iliketrafficlights Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I really don’t think we’ll develop affordable alternatives until the other outlets have been fully harvested, personally. I just don’t think the appeal is there for a profit maximization perspective for the energy sector. It’s much easier to exhaust the existing before committing to the costly process of alternative energy development. Time will tell though. We also don’t know about what technologies that may be emerging that may be heavily dependent on fossil fuels which could serve to move up the timeline. I think protecting the energy reserves and only using them in an emergency is sound. While we can still attain other people’s shit I think it’s in our best interest to do so. Just my own opinion.

TeganInBama likes this.
  9. DawginSC

DawginSC Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I view it differently. I want to drill but I want to keep all US produced oil in the US, not add it to the world market. I also want to buy as much oil from the world market as possible.

I do think we'll develop other energy resources. But the reality of the economics of energy is that we don't ever really go down that road until the price of other alternatives becomes prohibitive. Even then it will take some time. If we use up middle eastern reserves until we reach the point where prices become prohibitive, we'll have US reserves to keep prices somewhat reasonable until alternatives arise. If we use up US reserves FIRST, then when we finally buckle down and try to find an alternative, we'll be at the mercy of the middle east until it happens because we burnt up our reserve while prices were still low.

I personally believe it's always better to save your resources and use someone elses until forced to do otherwise. Because when shortages arrive it's always better to be the one who has a stockpile.

I guess basically I'm a prepper when it comes to national strategic resources.

fsu1jreed, ALMDawgfan and TeganInBama like this.
  10. maxpower024

maxpower024 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I'm breaking out the t-shirt. The beautiful thing is that is works with all ayatollahs.

[​IMG]

11. Deathroll

Expand Collapse

We’re spending all kinds of money to develop alternatives. The internal combustion engine is not even 150 years old. By the time our own fossil fuel would be exhausted, it would be a minimum of 300-400 years. The US has over 2 trillion barrels of estimated oil and fog knows how much natural gas.

Leaving that in the ground while shipping oil from half way across the planet in makes us vulnerable, makes us have to stay involved militarily in some very unstable regions, means lots of Americans won’t get good paying jobs in the energy industry and drains huge amounts of cash out of the country....often enriching people who hate us like the Wahabbis, Iran, Russia, Venezuela, etc.

It’s also worse for the environment if you’re concerned about carbon emissions. Pumping that oil out of the ground thousands of miles away then shipping it then burning it here results in far more atmospheric carbon than pumping it and burning it here without having to ship it across the Atlantic Ocean.

Drill baby Drill!

12. Deathroll

Expand Collapse

Why do you want to buy abroad? That is bad for us in numerous ways. We should want to be as self sufficient as possible.

It is going to take hundreds and hundreds of years to use up US oil and gas and coal. We’ll have nuclear fusion or some other technologies long before that happens.

13. hdglidr

hdglidr Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

no we're not
    the amount of oil we get from iran out of the opec "pool" is a fraction of one percent.

14. DawginSC

Expand Collapse

It will take hundreds of years to use up US oil/gas/coal... if we keep it in the US.

That's not what happens when we tap those resources though. They go to the world market. We have no restrictions on where us extractors of raw materials can sell their products. The US exports between 2.5 and 3 million barrels of oil every day. We exported between 400 and 800 thousand barrels a day prior to Trump. And that was up from GWB... we only exported about 15-50 thousand barrels a day under his presidency.

Those exported barrels aren't doing a whole lot to lower our prices and increase our energy security. It's the opposite in fact. We're taking a resource under the control of our nation while it's still in the ground and letting private industries sell it to other nations for their usage.

Flooding the market place with our oil is not a great thing for the nation. Some oil companies may like it... but effectively that means that other nations are using our oil and (if they have any) saving their own for future use. That's what I think we should be doing. What that does is let us retain the ability to be self sufficient whenever we like by keeping our reserves, but avoid doing so when it's not necessary. We save that ability to be self sufficient when the world supply begins to dwindle.

If everyone opens up their oil production to a global market and usage rates remain what they are today... (and no new depsoits of oil are found) we have about 60 years worth of oil for the world.

I say we take our oil out of that global market and save it for after that 60 years is up... to give us another 100 or so years of energy security after that. Otherwise we pump our oil into the market and in 60 years we'll be searching for oil if we don't have an alternative yet... and paying huge premiums. I'd rather others be paying us for that.

If someone put pressure on us for oil prices before that... we'd have the supply to not be forced to do anything. But that can only happen if our oil isn't going into the global market like it is now.

Oh... and it's important to note that 43% of our oil imports come from Canada. Opec as a whole only supplies 29% (and middle eastern OPEC countries only 16%... mostly from Saudi Arabia).

15. Deathroll

Expand Collapse

Sounds like what you’re really arguing for is to restore the ban on exports of oil and gas.

I would disagree with you that increasing production capacity which has led to increased exports does nothing to enhance our security. Having that increased capacity by itself massively enhances our security.

I’m not concerned about other countries saving their own oil for future use. That’s a sucker bet. There is no guarantee technology will not have moved on long before it was used in which case those resources are worth very little.

Canada also has massive reserves in their oil sands. Ideally, we will soon get to the point when we only need imports from Canada and Mexico in addition to domestic production to meet our energy needs. We’re getting closer every year. That’s a great thing.

16. Fishin-4-a-Livin

Fishin-4-a-Livin Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I really don’t want any more war, I just like the song....

17. 1Clemson

1Clemson Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Not sure our “leadership” understands proportionality. Response? yes, proportion? Who knows. Either 25% tariff on Persian rugs or WWIII.

57 1Clemson, Jun 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    iliketrafficlights likes this.
  18. HazMatCFO

HazMatCFO Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Maybe the NSA has Stuxnet 2 they can give the Iranians.

19. Stochdoc

Stochdoc Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

]
    If its the Iranians, I don't give a crap about proportionality.

MelbBamaFan likes this.
  20. sgacock

sgacock Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

jeans15 likes this.
  21. fsuguy83

fsuguy83 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Limpit mine. Magnetic mine placed on the hull by divers.

22. speedfrk

speedfrk Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Or worse. The response has to be so drastic and horrific that the thought of attacking Americans becomes unthinkable because of what the consequences would be

23. Stochdoc

Expand Collapse

24. UCFhonors

UCFhonors Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

fsu1jreed likes this.
  25. Stochdoc

Expand Collapse

You talking about in the 1950's?

UCFhonors likes this.
  26. LSU02

LSU02 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

27. speedfrk

speedfrk Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

So the US has said it was Iran. What will the response be?

28. Thunderball81

Thunderball81 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Does Gulf of Tonkin ring a bell?

ALMDawgfan likes this.
  29. BTSBuckeye

BTSBuckeye Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

The media isn't making a big enough deal out of this for it to be a false flag IMHO ...

The war machine likes a big audience.

Stochdoc and RedR8der4Life like this.
  30. CB3UK

CB3UK Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Im for energy independence, and the most cost effective for us the consumer at that. I don't really care what the source is.

Deathroll likes this.
  31. TJW4SC

TJW4SC Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

You can’t produce oil in the United States and not add it to the world market.

tigity likes this.
  32. buckymel

buckymel Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Time to send in John Clark and Ding Chavez.

33. hdglidr

hdglidr Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

and paint the ayatolahs residence with a laser?

Duckdude73 and buckymel like this.
  34. LSU02

LSU02 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

35. DawginSC

Expand Collapse

Sure you can. You may not like the way it can be done, but it can absolutely be accomplished.

You can ban the export of petroleum. Several countries do this.

You can put huge export tariffs on petroleum. While this doesn't ban it from being sold overseas, it does provide a strong fiscal incentive to sell to local buyers.

You can also nationalize the oil industry in your nation. Many OPEC nations (and some non OPEC ones) are already nationalized. This lets the government directly determine how much oil they export.

Until all US oil was produced in the US, it wouldn't impact US oil prices. We'd be selling at whatever the global market rate was because the excess needed would have to come from the global market. It wouldn't matter if 95% of it was sourced local... the prices would be set by the global market. But if we produced more than the US needed and had supply exceeding demand... it would mean we were in a completely national market rather than a global one and our prices would move separately from the global market. This would also happen if we made it illegal to buy from the global market.

We do this sort of thing with other products. The US does not allow most nuclear products to be exported outside of the US because they view it as a resource essential to national security. If oil or coal or natural gas was viewed the same way... the same sort of regulations could be applied.

fsu1jreed likes this.
  36. UCFhonors

UCFhonors Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Yep.

#UCFacts

SmokinSmile

fsu1jreed likes this.
  37. Sublight

Sublight Moderator
    Expand Collapse

I know nothing about those. Any navy ppl care to weigh in?

38. hawkit3113

hawkit3113 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

War!!!!!!

39. avgfootballfan

avgfootballfan Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

40. pooods

pooods Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse