ADVERTISEMENT

Tweet!

It is cringeworthy.... but it makes you wonder what the deal is. They were suppressing the info for some reason l.

I was successfully raising Billions of Dollars to help rebuild Puerto Rico.

Anybody have pics of the lemonade stand and car wash he set up to fund the relief for PR? Its was huge lemonade stand. More lemons than any other stand......probably in history. The car wash was big...some of the biggest cars imaginable were washed. Big Big cars.

Im sick of the man not getting any credit personally.

It is cringeworthy.... but it makes you wonder what the deal is. They were suppressing the info for some reason l.

I don't think there is any reason to think they suppressed info. I think it is far more likely that it is REALLY tough to actually track down and record thousands of deaths in a place where there are no roads and no power and lots of records have been destroyed and access is so limited and most of the population is displaced. That, plus people not rushing out information before they have it? I think that is FAR more likely than some nefarious plot to hide the number of deaths, which would be pretty unprecedented.

I somewhat agree, but going from 67 to 3000 overnight? Any other situation they would update that number. At least 500, then 1000+, 2000+, 3000+.

The more deaths usually means more support/money you will get. There is no reason to keep it at such a low number.

Reactions: jace46555
I somewhat agree, but going from 67 to 3000 overnight? Any other situation they would update that number. At least 500, then 1000+, 2000+, 3000+.

The more deaths usually means more support/money you will get. There is no reason to keep it at such a low number.

I don't think it was overnight, really... GW did a study, and that's what the study reported. It's not from Puerto Rico or the PR government... I think they don't have that capability right now. I don't think usually people release findings partway through something like that... you create a study and then release it.

Interesting that apparently a Harvard study actually had closer to 4500 dead.

Its over a year since the hurricane hit. Its not like it was 64 on Monday, but on Thursday it rose to 3000. There have been multiple studies in between that were lower than 3000 (and some higher, like Harvard estimate).

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/29/us/puerto-rico-growing-death-toll/index.html

Its just completely unrealistic that only 6 to 18 people died from the Hurricane. 82+ people died from hurricane Harvey. And Harvey was a weaker hurricane than Maria.

It is just disappointing he makes it about himself. I mean, so many people died and so many people are still suffering there. That doesn't matter though. It is all about how it impacts his little ego.
This. Very self-centered.

Last month according to aries it seems the PR government said it was revising the death toll to be something like 2,700 and it had been around 1,500.

That makes more sense than jumping from 60 to 3000. I guess it's just a big deal now that Florence is about to impact?

Strange really.

I guess my confusion was my fault, I was under the impression these numbers were from PR not a study. It seems PR had done as I thought, continually raised the number.

Last month according to aries it seems the PR government said it was revising the death toll to be something like 2,700 and it had been around 1,500.

That makes more sense than jumping from 60 to 3000. I guess it's just a big deal now that Florence is about to impact?

Strange really.

I guess my confusion was my fault, I was under the impression these numbers were from PR not a study. It seems PR had done as I thought, continually raised the number.
Real question, what motive is there for PR to lie? What motivation is there for Trump to lie besides breathing.

The variation in the numbers published by these studies comes down to estimates of how many people would normally die in the given timeframe, absent any catastrophic disasters. That's the starting point; then, you see how far above that number you are and you're 90% of the way done.

I would bet Trump thinks the only deaths that should count are people directly killed by the hurricane, by drowning or getting hit with a tree or something. He surely doesn't realize that a lot more goes into it and people could die months later due either to health issues directly caused by the hurricane or circumstances brought about by the slow recovery from the hurricane's damage. Access to safe water/food, electricity, healthcare, shelter, etc. impacts the ultimate death toll.

I don't think there is any reason to think they suppressed info. I think it is far more likely that it is REALLY tough to actually track down and record thousands of deaths in a place where there are no roads and no power and lots of records have been destroyed and access is so limited and most of the population is displaced. That, plus people not rushing out information before they have it? I think that is FAR more likely than some nefarious plot to hide the number of deaths, which would be pretty unprecedented.

Really? You dont think that they were going for shock points? I can understand that to get the exact number in that area would be extremely difficult. However, how do you go from double digits to a year later almost 3k? I can see why they wouldn't have the exact number, but theres only one reason to not announce the climbing count as they went. Especially since its being released right before the midterms.

I'm not justifying him, or his tweets, but this seems like it has a lot of political minds behind it. Which honestly, I don't understand how anyone thought it would be better this way. With his ability to have zero self control, if it had been released throughout the year, it would have caused him to make stupid comments like this over the whole year.

Although, I guess it doesn't matter because he's still made stupid comments throughout the year anyways.

Really? You dont think that they were going for shock points? I can understand that to get the exact number in that area would be extremely difficult. However, how do you go from double digits to a year later almost 3k? I can see why they wouldn't have the exact number, but theres only one reason to not announce the climbing count as they went. Especially since its being released right before the midterms.

I'm not justifying him, or his tweets, but this seems like it has a lot of political minds behind it. Which honestly, I don't understand how anyone thought it would be better this way. With his ability to have zero self control, if it had been released throughout the year, it would have caused him to make stupid comments like this over the whole year.

Although, I guess it doesn't matter because he's still made stupid comments throughout the year anyways.

I just read a few posts down that it wasn't the PR government that had released these numbers and instead it was from a study. If that's the case, disregard my last comment.

I'm sure none of you thought it was in bad taste to blame him for people dying. So why shouldn't he defend himself? That's an awful thing to be accused of.

I'm sure none of you thought it was in bad taste to blame him for people dying. So why shouldn't he defend himself? That's an awful thing to be accused of.

I don't have a problem with him defending himself, but the way he did it once again, it showed a considerable lack of judgment! Especially when the country is 1 day away from dealing with another massive natural disaster. Also, he did it when the island STILL hasn't been completely repaired.

These types of things are the reason why he doesn't have a 60% favorable rating. If he loses in 2 years, it will be because of these types of issues! With how strong the economy is roaring along he should easily be looked at as a lock to get reelected. However, you cant go a day where something doesn't come out that's cringeworthy. The craziest part is that its usually something that he did that makes you cringe.

The left has attacked him from day one over trivial shit, yet get upset when he defends himself over the same stuff.

Reactions: mebeblue2
I’m not sure that what some see as a poor response to a natural disaster that resulted in the deaths of thousands of Americans, all while the leader in charge says that actually he did a great job, is trivial.

As for why they didn’t release it... yeah, it was a study from GW. It was released when it was finished.

Reactions: Jaycg15
The left has attacked him from day one over trivial shit, yet get upset when he defends himself over the same stuff.
Trivial shit.. I don't recall the left attacking him for the type of mustard on his hot dog or wearing a tan suit. I wish we were in that ballpark of stupid things to look for.

Trivial shit.. I don't recall the left attacking him for the type of mustard on his hot dog or wearing a tan suit. I wish we were in that ballpark of stupid things to look for.

Have no idea what any of that is. It is a good thing I suppose when the main thing people complain about is his tweeting.

Have no idea what any of that is. It is a good thing I suppose when the main thing people complain about is his tweeting.
You think his main complaints are his tweets? Those are just temper tantrums he throws in response to the actual issues.

Two things:

First, you do realize that his tweets are official White House statements, right? The White House made sure to clarify that...

https://www.cnn.com/2017/06/06/politics/trump-tweets-official-statements/index.html

And the DOJ agrees:

http://www.abajournal.com/news/arti...s_tweets_are_official_presidential_statements

So that is official statements from the Executive branch calling into question government statistics and actively saying that there is a political conspiracy in which political opponents are manipulating American deaths for political reasons, all without any proof at all.

Second... it isn't the medium of twitter that is the issue... it is the thought processes of the CiC that are the issue (and, to a minor extent, the lack of leadership and dignity and all that jazz...)

Last edited:
Two things:

First, you do realize that his tweets are official White House statements, right? The White House made sure to clarify that...

https://www.cnn.com/2017/06/06/politics/trump-tweets-official-statements/index.html

And the DOJ agrees:

http://www.abajournal.com/news/arti...s_tweets_are_official_presidential_statements

So that is official statements from the Executive branch calling into question government statistics and actively saying that there is a political conspiracy in which political opponents are manipulating American deaths for political reasons, all without any proof at all.

Second... it isn't the medium of twitter that is the issue... it is the thought processes of the CiC that are the issue.

What did he say that was so insensitive? I feel like now anything he tweets that isn’t overly gracious is critized.

And the 20 million bottles of water that were not given to PR residents. Keep concentrating on his tweets while his actions continue to help the country.

I wouldn't believe a word from the PR mayor. She was anti Trump the day after the hurricane. Instead of politics she should have made sure her residents got the water and supplies they needed.

Reactions: SNU0821
What did he say that was so insensitive? I feel like now anything he tweets that isn’t overly gracious is critized.

Anything he tweets that isn't overly gracious is criticized? That seems like a bit of an extreme take to me. Judging by the responses to this particular tweet posted in this thread, I think your take on this one is, to put it mildly, a minority opinion.

When the leader of the nation looks at the official death toll of an American disaster, a death toll that rivals Pearl Harbor and 9/11, and turns that into an unsubstantiated attack on political rivals and literally says that it is not true, right as a similar disaster is about to hit... at best that's a pretty huge lack of leadership and a showing of the belief that people are playing politics with the dead. At best.

Reactions: Jaycg15
Anything he tweets that isn't overly gracious is criticized? That seems like a bit of an extreme take to me. Judging by the responses to this particular tweet posted in this thread, I think your take on this one is, to put it mildly, a minority opinion.

When the leader of the nation looks at the official death toll of an American disaster, a death toll that rivals Pearl Harbor and 9/11, and turns that into an unsubstantiated attack on political rivals and literally says that it is not true, right as a similar disaster is about to hit... at best that's a pretty huge lack of leadership and a showing of the belief that people are playing politics with the dead. At best.

Possibly the majority posting so far but the left in general always cries louder. I guess it is a good sign that he’s bothered by the fact the he believes, rightfully or not, that he was being blamed for deaths.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT