ADVERTISEMENT

TV Teddy Considering Retirement after Berry Incident

Carolina has agreed to continue to allow Valentine to referee as long as Valentine agrees to take over for Higgins whenever Valentine is assigned a UK game.

Reactions: tw3301
Teddy loves him some Teddy. I don’t care either way as long as there isn’t some lingering aspect of this regarding UNC, who really didn’t make an issue of this or do anything wrong. Hell, Roy had Berry apologize to him for setting the ball down.

No love for Teddy, but this was blown way up by media for no reason. Teddy has done way worse to get bashed over, this was not one.

I do think this thing is really getting blown out of proportion.

Berry is a nobody and TV Teddy had no obligation to listen or respond to him., I was glad when he stopped doing BT games.

when a player can call out a ref then its time to shut the BB down,
players play
Refs ref
Coach get in the ear of the Refs
as it should be.

the media ARE ASSHOLES and nothing more when it comes to making something out of nothing,

Berry is a nobody and TV Teddy had no obligation to listen or respond to him., I was glad when he stopped doing BT games.

when a player can call out a ref then its time to shut the BB down,
players play
Refs ref
Coach get in the ear of the Refs
as it should be.

the media ARE ASSHOLES and nothing more when it comes to making something out of nothing,

You are some kind of special.

No player called out Teddy and JB is your reigning Final 4 MOP.
the UNC player expecting a explanation from a ref is indeed calling out a ref,

players are to keep their mouths shut and let their coaches do the talking.

the day when ref any ref has to start explaining a call or no call its time to end BB

Teddy didn't owe that player anything other maybe a T.

Berry is a captain and yes captains can converse with the refs.

He doesn't know what Barnes said(reporter). But he's certain it didn't warrant two technical fouls? Weird. Also weird is how fans, reproters, etc, etc...complain that no matter what juncture of the game we are at, that we(officials) should call the game the same. An official does that, and now they're complaining. Again----weird.

It's a thankless job. It always will be. ANd I'm fine with that. I didn't get into it for "back slaps" and "that -a- boy" comments. I got into officiating b/c I love the game. But it does get tiresome only hearing the "horror story" sides of officials. We put up with a lot more from coaches than any fan, media member, etc, etc...will ever know. Some of the shit I've had coaches say to me would make a sailor cringe. But you let most of it go. It's part of the game. Part of the job. BUT..........when an official doesn;t let it go, he gets chastised for it. And the frustrating part is, is that most of the time---a large majority of the time MOF, no one knows what was said. Just like in this instance. If you're going to write an article, at least try and find out what happened that led to the two technical fouls. And maybe he did. But I doubt it.

the UNC player expecting a explanation from a ref is indeed calling out a ref,

players are to keep their mouths shut and let their coaches do the talking.

the day when ref any ref has to start explaining a call or no call its time to end BB

Teddy didn't owe that player anything other maybe a T.
Well, yeah, he did. I'm pretty sure Berry is a captain. And captains are the ones we tell that if you have an issue, a problem, it is YOU who comes to us. So yeah, Valentine did owe him the courtesy of at least listening.

I had thought for years that Teddy was the BIGs private cross to bear. I was surprised to see him doing other conferences.

Glad he was taken off two BIG games this last weekend. He always makes the game more about him than the actual play. Refs should be invisible during a game.

Now this is a very interesting tidbit
It has always been a part of my pregame, and any crew I've ever worked with---at any level. When we have our pregame meetings(with the captains), among the things we discuss is that you as a captain are the guys we will listen to . If you have an issue, a question, come to us. That's one of the privy's of being a captain.

That is why I was so surprised by Valentine's actions. I mean IDK if Berry is a captain or not. But I;d be shocked if he wasn't.

Now with this being said, being a captain does NOT give you the right to ARGUE calls. There is a difference. Just wanted to point this out.

Last edited:
I had thought for years that Teddy was the BIGs private cross to bear. I was surprised to see him doing other conferences.

Glad he was taken off two BIG games this last weekend. He always makes the game more about him than the actual play. Refs should be invisible during a game.
Why? Multiple officials work multiple conference's. When I was officiating full-time, I worked in 6-7 different conference's. I did have a primary conference that I did most of my games. But like any other official, I worked in multiple conference's.

dont you disrespect unc, cheat cal and you should win ref of the year- media

dont you disrespect unc, cheat cal and you should win ref of the year- media
giphy.gif

Berry is a captain and yes captains can converse with the refs.
Any player can converse with the refs however the refs aren't required to or anything so again, much ado about nothing.

Why does the media hate Kentucky
I've often wander this myself. The NCAA as well. Oh, and ESPN. Oh, an NASCAR. Shit......almost forgot. The PGA, NFL, MLB and of course----NHL.

Now the NBA loves them. And we know why.

Oooops, I almost forgot.

And the Pope. And Donald Trump. Of course Hilary likes UK. That's obvious.

Never understood why the world hated UK. Weird deal.

Any player can converse with the refs however the refs aren't required to or anything so again, much ado about nothing.
Meh, kinda of. Captains have a different, well, stance so to peak. Privilege is the better word. As I have said, before each game, officials have a pregame with said captains. During that pregame they are told, among other things, that if there are any issues, questions, concerns, etc, etc...they are the ones we expect to address those(with us). Of course any player can converse. But not any player can expected to be heard. Captains should expect that. Since well, they are told this.

Valentine should've at least given Berry his ear. It's not like JB was being disrespectful.

Reactions: Deezheelz
I think Higgins stalking Shaka Smart down the sideline was much more unprofessional, immature.

Meh, kinda of. Captains have a different, well, stance so to peak. Privilege is the better word. As I have said, before each game, officials have a pregame with said captains. During that pregame they are told, among other things, that if there are any issues, questions, concerns, etc, etc...they are the ones we expect to address those(with us). Of course any player can converse. But not any player can expected to be heard. Captains should expect that. Since well, they are told this.

Valentine should've at least given Berry his ear. It's not like JB was being disrespectful.
I have it on good authority that Berry told Teddy he ****ed his mother.

I've been out of the country with crappy internet so I'm just seeing the video...

Boringggggg....I was expecting something way worse/exciting. What a big deal out of nothing.

ADVERTISEMENT