ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Season

Congrats @WeAreDePaul for landing one of the best transfers on the market. Javon Freeman-Liberty averaged 19 ppg and was 1st Team All-MVC. Not a grad transfer, but his grandma was sick, so I suspect he'll be immediately eligible. Two years of eligibility.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
Look, I'm not going to pretend to remember the final rankings as I'm not involved enough to care to (even?) look it up, but......

I followed Reid Travis' recruitment bc he was interesting and I thought he'd be a big pick for Minnesota (I believe at one time he was their top high school QB and a top 5 basketball player when he chose basketball over football).. borderline 5 star for most of that summer. I actually thought he ended with 4 stars. Was stoked if not the home school, Stanford.. nice.

Loads of kids at that borderline 4/5 star-line stay 4+ years. To use that against any school, regardless of their reputation, is kinda basic. Dudes with limited athleticism and range need as much polish as possible before jumping in with the pros.. they're going to need it.

Wow i has no idea he was a stud qb in highschool. I couldn’t even imagine trying to tackle a guy that size at QB.

But ur post is spot on, I was taking a trolling shot at the UKs fans that think that there’s no way (enter player name here) could have possibly made the nba without playing for cal at UK for one season. And the fact that Travis openly stated he transferred to UK to play for Calipari to improve his draft stock.

But ur totally right he was a very solid college player who lacked the athleticism and height to be a legitimate nba talent worthy of being drafted. Regardless if he stayed at Stanford his senior season or played for UK or Duke or UNC or anywhere his entire college career.

Reactions: KisteK
Michigan State peeps, any word on if Langford is going to transfer or return?
There’s no way he’s going to transfer. He’s either going to retire altogether from basketball or come back in a reserve role. He has been plagued with injuries and by the time the season roles around he wouldn’t have played CBB in 2 years.

Olivier Sarr transferring from Wake, so there's yet another big UK can whiff on.

Love this kid's game. Sarr wants to be the man. Danny Manning could give him that at Wake Forest. I highly doubt he'd be the man at UK with Clarke and Boston. But we all know what Cal is capable of. I also thought it was pretty funny how he commented on how UK fans were already harassing him.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Love this kid's game. Sarr wants to be the man. Danny Manning could give him that at Wake Forest. I highly doubt he'd be the man at UK with Clarke and Boston. But we all know what Cal is capable of. I also thought it was pretty funny how he commented on how UK fans were already harassing him.
Yes, we are pretty desperate for a big body that can contribute at this point. Laughing

Reactions: jhmossy

Would be real hard for Danny Manning to do that considering he just got shit canned this week.

Also the fans that tweet at recruits/players are fvcking morons. This flowchart people need to go by more imo-

B87IyX6CEAEx_Ir

Would be real hard for Danny Manning to do that considering he just got shit canned this week.

Also the fans that tweet at recruits/players are fvcking morons. This flowchart people need to go by more imo-

B87IyX6CEAEx_Ir
I think he knows Manning got fired. Laughing

B87IyX6CEAEx_Ir

I’m saying that’s a big reason that Sarr came to Wake and why Manning convinced him to stay at Wake instead of entering the draft.

I’m saying that’s a big reason that Sarr came to Wake and why Manning convinced him to stay at Wake instead of entering the draft.

My bad then. But let's be honest, he has no real nba future regardless. He's a 5 that can't protect the rim that well. He'll likely have a good career in Europe though.

B87IyX6CEAEx_Ir

Translations: Danny Manning could and was giving Sarr the opportunity to be the man at Wake Up to this point in his career. Now Manning is fired and Sarr is transferring. I don’t think @jhmossy was suggesting Sarr should transfer from wake to wake.

And I’ll take it a step further and say anyone tweeting anything thats doesn’t get paid to tweet, is a moron.

My bad then. But let's be honest, he has no real nba future regardless. He's a 5 that can't protect the rim that well. He'll likely have a good career in Europe though.

Same with Reid Travis and Nate Sestina. But Cal will probably convince Sarr that his best path to the NBA is through Kentucky. And he may be right about that.

It will also depend heavily on whether Sarr can get a waiver to play immediately. He has made it abundantly clear that he's not sitting out a year. Thus, I could see him return to Wake or playing overseas next year.

Reactions: RR30
I’m on the fence on that one, could give a couple of star players to get their coach fired, which I don’t think is necessarily fair. If he did something that makes him deserved to be fired that’s one things, but if the kids just didn’t mesh of get along with him bc he was strict, or didn’t give them the role they wanted or basically just don’t get along. I don’t think college stars should get Lebron power when it comes to coaching.

I’ll use a completely ludicrous hypothetical to better explain what I mean. This would never happen and is borderline stupid just to use this as an example, which is partly why I am using it but.................

What if Jones, Carey, and Stanley went to the AD after the season and said they would all come back to Duke next year if he got rid of K and easily be the best team in the the nation. If not they are all leaving. I don’t think players should have that kinda power.

Now I understand that’s a very silly hypothical, but tbh these gummys have me feeling a bit silly .

ETSU's Bo Hodges is now in the transfer portal. I wonder if he follows Forbes to Wake Forest? 6'5 wing that averaged 12.7 ppg, 5.8 reb, 2.5 ast, 0.8 blk, 1.4 stl, and shot 50.2% from the field. He could be a dynamic player in 18 months.

How much influence does their previous coach have on whether or not players get a waiver to play immediately? I really don’t understand why they should have any influence in whether the player has to sit a year or not, but it’s the ncaa so nothing will surprise me. But Surely the previous coach doesn’t get to decide whether or not transferring players do or don’t get a waiver for their new team. I for sure don’t understand why Juzang got a waiver, bc I can’t see what the extenuating circumstance could possibly be when a kid from the west coast transferred from UK to ND. Which I don’t care that he got it, bc it makes ND hence the acc better, I just don’t understand.

I think the ncaa will grant more and more waivers until transfers are allowed to play immediately regardless, which I think is terrible for cbb, but that’s just my opinion. As if the top programs need any more recruiting advantages, they will also be able to recruit college players from less prestigious/smaller schools.

I can get behind the GT rule bc the player graduated, so immediate eligibility is like a reward for them excelling in the classroom, but just all out free agency in college seems nuts to me. Esp if and when the Name and likeness stuff passes. You can make the nba from a small school, like ja morant from murray state, but you won’t make anywhere near as much $$ during college with the name and likeness stuff at smaller schools.

March Madness Cinderellas might become a thing of the past, which would be unfortunate imo.

Edit: My apologies idk why I thought he transferred to ND when it was UCLA. My mistake, that makes much more sense on why he got a waiver.

Last edited:
How much influence does their previous coach have on whether or not players get a waiver to play immediately? I really don’t understand why they should have any influence in whether the player has to sit a year or not, but it’s the ncaa so nothing will surprise me. But Surely the previous coach doesn’t get to decide whether or not transferring players do or don’t get a waiver for their new team. I for sure don’t understand why Juzang got a waiver, bc I can’t see what the extenuating circumstance could possibly be when a kid from the west coast transferred from UK to ND. Which I don’t care that he got it, bc it makes ND hence the acc better, I just don’t understand.

I think the ncaa will grant more and more waivers until transfers are allowed to play immediately regardless, which I think is terrible for cbb, but that’s just my opinion. As if the top programs need any more recruiting advantages, they will also be able to recruit college players from less prestigious/smaller schools.

I can get behind the GT rule bc the player graduated, so immediate eligibility is like a reward for them excelling in the classroom, but just all out free agency in college seems nuts to me. Esp if and when the Name and likeness stuff passes. You can make the nba from a small school, like ja morant from murray state, but you won’t make anywhere near as much $$ during college with the name and likeness stuff at smaller schools.

March Madness Cinderellas might become a thing of the past, which would be unfortunate imo.
ND? Juzang transferred to UCLA.

Reactions: Villian07
Oh shit, my bad I dunno why I thought he went to ND.

That does indeed make total sense then.

thanks for correcting me. Maybe I was confused on why he had so many teams on his list that weren’t on the west coast idk, but I stand corrected.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Oh shit, my bad I dunno why I thought he went to ND.

That does indeed make total sense then.

thanks for correcting me. Maybe I was confused on why he had so many teams on his list that weren’t on the west coast idk, but I stand corrected.
I was surprised by his list too. Everyone knew he was going back west. UCLA is not a good fit for him though, imo. Cronin is a defensive-minded coach and will grind it out on offense. Juzang isn't much of a defender and not much more than a jump shooter on offense, so I don't know where he'll fit in.

I am very happy that Nembhard is leaving UF. He killed us. Assuming Mann stays, we will be much more athletic and creative at the 1. Watching Nembhard slow-walk the ball up the court was maddening.

ADVERTISEMENT