ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Season

We need backcourt bodies for depth and in case of injuries. I’ll gladly take an athletic 6”4 sg who averaged 14 ppg, even if it was only in the wcc. Also avg 18 ppg in 3 conference tourney games. His shooting is suspect indeed, but I think he can still help us with experience, athleticism, defense, and he was very good at drawing fouls taking the ball to the rack. Now whether or not he will actually have an impact moving up a level, I have no clue, but with Scrubb hitting the pinnacle of collegiate athletics with his juco POY trophy, we had two schollys and needed another body in the backcourt, so I’m pleased with this addition. Not as big as landing Jones, and not as big as losing Scrubb, but can’t hurt.

Last edited:
Marcus Santos-Silva, VCU's leading scorer and rebounder (13 ppg, 9 reb), recently put his name in portal. He has the potential to be a grad transfer, but still needs to complete some summer classes. Would be a HUGE get.

Reactions: KisteK
Marcus Santos-Silva, VCU's leading scorer and rebounder (13 ppg, 9 reb), recently put his name in portal. He has the potential to be a grad transfer, but still needs to complete some summer classes. Would be a HUGE get.
giphy.gif

Reactions: dukedevilz
That might be a good fit. Pretty clear he wants to start, and he wants to start for a power program.

When you say power program, you mean Power 5 right? That's the only way I can wrap my head around calling Maryland a power program

When you say power program, you mean Power 5 right? That's the only way I can wrap my head around calling Maryland a power program

Well, yes. Any school from a Power 6 conference (I would throw the Big East in there). Maryland isn't a blue blood or top 10 program, but they're still pretty darn solid.

Dude must of not paid attention to Cals great development of Travis and Sestina. Granted UK needs from court bodies way more now than when they added those two. As thin as they are up front they would probably be better off taking both, but that would cut into each players PT/agenda

Dude must of not paid attention to Cals great development of Travis and Sestina. Granted UK needs from court bodies way more now than when they added those two. As thin as they are up front they would probably be better off taking both, but that would cut into each players PT/agenda
What kind of development exactly were you expecting from two slow, unathletic, below the rim players in 8 months? Was he supposed to magically turn them into supreme athletes? There is a reason they were 5th year college players, and it isn't because their NBA potential was through the roof...

Reactions: Scotty00
What kind of development exactly were you expecting from two slow, unathletic, below the rim players in 8 months? Was he supposed to magically turn them into supreme athletes? There is a reason they were 5th year college players, and it isn't because their NBA potential was through the roof...

…..he saw another opportunity to take a logic-less shot at Cal, knowing full well he would've loved to have had both of them on U6's roster.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan

That’s what he does with the freshmen right? He took the PAC 12 player of the year who was projected to at least get drafted in the late 2nd and turned him to a draft afterthought. I agree on sestina, wasn’t much hope for him excelling moving up a level with his skill set.

I was mostly flaming though, if Travis had been an nba talent he wouldn’t have been at stanford for three years he would have went pro from there. Just a shot at all the development sunshine pumpers that think cal turns coal into diamonds.

…..he saw another opportunity to take a logic-less shot at Cal, knowing full well he would've loved to have had both of them on U6's roster.

Lol Sestina no, Travis sure, he was the PAC 12 All conference before cal got his hooks into him. Not sure how it’s illogical, bbn wants to give cal all the credit in the world for having developing a freshmen in 8 months. He had Sestina and Travis 8 months as well, they just didn’t develop any. I know it’s apples and oranges but I figured the coach that is “by far the best at developing big men” could have added something to their game.

He took the PAC 12 player of the year who was projected to at least get drafted in the late 2nd and turned him to a draft afterthought.
His per 40 FG% and rebounds were virtually identical to his senior year at Stanford while his FT% and blocks increased significantly.

Lol Sestina no, Travis sure, he was the PAC 12 All conference before cal got his hooks into him. Not sure how it’s illogical, bbn wants to give cal all the credit in the world for having developing a freshmen in 8 months. He had Sestina and Travis 8 months as well, they just didn’t develop any. I know it’s apples and oranges but I figured the coach that is “by far the best at developing big men” could have added something to their game.

Neither were 5 star guys. You're also failing to mention that Travis' late season knee injury certainly hindered his NBA chances. His bank account is doing just fine playing for Germany. Sestina will likely play overseas as well.

For every 'he failed to develop ______________' there are many more that he did....players that were not expected to be OAD or weren't expected to be on NBA rosters:

Josh Harrelson
Deandre Liggins
Shea Gilgeous-Alexander
Eric Bledsoe
Tyler Hero

….just to name a few.

But honestly, Kevin’s right. There’s a reason Travis they hadn’t already made it to the league. He was undersized, and under athletic. I just find it amusing that Travis said he picked UK to improve his draft stock.

Sestina never had a chance potential/ceiling wise.

Neither were 5 star guys. You're also failing to mention that Travis' late season knee injury certainly hindered his NBA chances. His bank account is doing just fine playing for Germany. Sestina will likely play overseas as well.

For every 'he failed to develop ______________' there are many more that he did....players that were not expected to be OAD or weren't expected to be on NBA rosters:

Josh Harrelson
Deandre Liggins
Shea Gilgeous-Alexander
Eric Bledsoe
Tyler Hero

….just to name a few.

I can name more he failed to develop than the ones who weren’t expected to be OaDs but I don’t care to get into all that. Now if u include the surefire studs like AD Wall Cousins Kat then ur list will be longer.

And Travis was a 5 star burger boy, but he had limited nba potential regardless of coach bc of his lack of explosiveness/athleticism and size.

I can name more he failed to develop than the ones who weren’t expected to be OaDs but I don’t care to get into all that. Now if u include the surefire studs like AD Wall Cousins Kat then ur list will be longer.

And Travis was a 5 star burger boy, but he had limited nba potential regardless of coach bc of his lack of explosiveness/athleticism and size.

…. I love the U6 "UK recruiting analysts" out there. Laughing
Recruiting rankings 'miss' quite a bit on some guys. Skal is the best example of that, as is EJ Montgomery (most likely).

Cal has a lot more development success stories than 'failures'. Claiming otherwise is a futile effort.

Failures - Harrison twins, quade Greene, wiltjer, poythress, skal, Hagans, Whitney, Montgomery, on and on and on were projected higher in mock drafts before ever stepping foot in Lexington vs where they were actually drafted. But hell I saw Ryan Harrow on a mock draft the year before he played for UK so not exactly science.

Plus ur right tho, all those guys were either injury prone or overrated out of high school, through no fault of Cal. But u can’t sit on the fence and spout off all the success stories while ignoring the kids who didn’t live up to the hype, regardless if they were overrated or not. Maybe some of the success stories like herro and shai were a bit underrated.

I think we’ve had this convo before and concluded it’s on the player to listen, take criticism, and work hard, moreso than any developmental secrets being whispered in their ears by the coaches.

Reactions: uncfan in ky
…. I love the U6 "UK recruiting analysts" out there. Laughing
Recruiting rankings 'miss' quite a bit on some guys. Skal is the best example of that, as is EJ Montgomery (most likely).

Cal has a lot more development success stories than 'failures'. Claiming otherwise is a futile effort.

True. I personally think Anthony Davis would be in the G League right now without Cal's tutelage.

Reactions: jhmossy
Why is this Haarms cat having an announcement for a transfer? Seems a bit much. I hope this doesn't start to become a thing.

Reactions: uncfan in ky

Dayton fan here who has watched Santos Silva for three years. Respect his effort, IQ and toughness. Hard to keep off the offensive boards if you do not have a big physical player to handle him.

He was a good big man in the A-10 but no where close to dominant. Slower and less athletic than the two guys you're discussing. And he is a terrible FT shooter and equally poor outside about 3'. Tough, rebounds well and finishes through contact but plays well below the rim. You have to account for him on the boards to control him there and rolling off picks to the rim but beyond those two aspects of the game he is pedestrian against good competition.

In my opinion a 1st, maybe even 2nd big man off the bench for spot minutes at Kentucky.

Haarms isn't American, so the lure of a blue blood doesn't carry the same weight. One thing you gotta say about Pope, though, is the dude has enthusiasm. Dude obviously still loves Kentucky.

Look, I'm not going to pretend to remember the final rankings as I'm not involved enough to care to (even?) look it up, but......

I followed Reid Travis' recruitment bc he was interesting and I thought he'd be a big pick for Minnesota (I believe at one time he was their top high school QB and a top 5 basketball player when he chose basketball over football).. borderline 5 star for most of that summer. I actually thought he ended with 4 stars. Was stoked if not the home school, Stanford.. nice.

Loads of kids at that borderline 4/5 star-line stay 4+ years. To use that against any school, regardless of their reputation, is kinda basic. Dudes with limited athleticism and range need as much polish as possible before jumping in with the pros.. they're going to need it.

ADVERTISEMENT