ADVERTISEMENT

Toughest coaches to prepare for

jhmossy

Aug 9, 2017
Team
Virginia
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...ach-to-prepare-for-in-college-basketball/amp/

tenor.gif

Everybody plays faster than UVA so when you play them chances are your team isn't going to hit their PPG average and it's not going to look good. I personally don't think K is that hard to prepare for because of the talent he gets, that goes for K, Self and Roy.

Surprised Boeheim isn't listed because of the zone.

Probably because his teams haven't been good for a minute. Also, his offense is very simple.

Reactions: topps coach
Surprised Bennett didn’t win on account of “using toothpicks to hold your eyes open during film sessions makes things a lot more difficult”.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Surprised Bennett didn’t win on account of “using toothpicks to hold your eyes open during film sessions makes things a lot more difficult”.

In other words, you suffer from ADHD and are unable to focus for an entire 35 seconds on how to get a good shot against UVa's team defense.

Plus, that same condition prevents you from focusing for an entire 35 seconds when you are on defense simply because UVa elects to take the time to work for a good shot rather than just quickly throwing up trash.

I now understand your cognitive deficiencies.

Reactions: jhmossy
I didn't think Cal was hard to prepare due to the horses he's goin to throw at you. Man to man on defense and running down hill on offense.

You just have to have players ready to go toe to toe.

*Kentucky here's to win,not to watch you play"

He just rolls the ball out.

Last edited:
In other words, you suffer from ADHD and are unable to focus for an entire 35 seconds on how to get a good shot against UVa's team defense.

Plus, that same condition prevents you from focusing for an entire 35 seconds when you are on defense simply because UVa elects to take the time to work for a good shot rather than just quickly throwing up trash.

I now understand your cognitive deficiencies.

Almost had it.

Shot clock isn't 35 seconds, Bubby. I give it an A for effort though. Stick around, stay awhile!

Matters your team as much as who makes things difficult.
I think any coach could construct a team to beat any coach and their system.

Truthfully think any coach who presses you when you have young and inexperienced guards will be tougher than any of these.
Or an old Nolan Richardson team. Always trying to create turnovers especially when you don't have length.

Mainly shot selection and having the players on the floor.
If my team wasn't a great shooting team and I didn't have a big who could pass on top of the key than Boeheim and Syracuse would be tough.

Much harder to play teams that aren't letting you get into your offense.
At least with Boeheim, Chris Beard and Bennett you are getting into your offense.

Much harder to plays teams looking to disturb your guards, trap and get into the passing lanes.

I don't think there is any secret with any coach unless a coach has the ability to adjust at a moment's notice. Just sometimes you don't have the needed players.
With coaches who will adjust. You have no idea on what they are going to do.

And now who are all of these blue bloods Izzo has beaten? :eek:

Seriously. Off the top of my head, here's what I know:

UNC: 0-3 (98- L, 05- L, 09- L)
Duke: 2-3 (99- L, 05- W, 13- L, 15- L, 19- W)
Kentucky: 1-0 (99- W)
Kansas: 0-1 (17- L)

combined: 3-7

I'm probably missing some from Kansas/Kentucky. Maybe another one against UNC? But he's not exactly getting the better of blue bloods in March.

I'm probably missing some from Kansas/Kentucky. Maybe another one against UNC? But he's not exactly getting the better of blue bloods in March.

He beat KU in the tourney in 09, but they were a 1 seed, KU a 4.

I’d actually put Tom Crean up there
I mean, I was gonna say the same. Seriously . Dude had about 565 set plays on offense . Bad part is...He only had one defense: None.
I never was upset with Creans game planning. It was his inability to adjust that drove most of us nuts.

Reactions: bkingUK
I think that is why Izzo gets the nod. Michigan State can play a lot of different styles.

Agree on Huggins if they have the players.
Majority of time you play WV they are holding jerseys. If they have length they get turnovers.
Jay Wright and Villanova did a great job in that Sweet 16 but they had the guards.

Or any part of the calendar. He’s like 2-11 vs. K and 1-10 or something vs. Roy. I know KU beat them last season and UK has beaten them in the CC. Not sure about Indiana and UCLA

Last edited:
Reactions: dukedevilz
Or any part of the calendar. He’s like 2-11 vs. K and 1-10 or something vs. Roy. I know KU beat them last season and UK has beaten them in the CC. Not sure about Indiana and UCLA
OT; but am I the last guy here that thinks Zion will one day be a fat boy?

he's battling it right?

that boy is going to bigger than fat albert.

Cash in!!!!

*sounded better in my head

Last edited:
Bennett is tough to prepare for. Many schools are tough just because they are talented.
Agree Bennett’s teams are tough but imo Boeheim zone is tougher when he has those unending 6-8 athletic guys to run that matchup zone.You only see that maybe two or three times s year

Your list is missing a few... mostly losses to Duke Laughing

In the Champions Classic, MSU is 2-1 vs Kansas, 1-1 vs Kentucky, 0-3 vs Duke.

MSU beat UK in the 2005 F4 run, the game before or after they beat Duke - can't remember the order, just remember it was the same weekend I believe. UK game was crazy and went to 2OT I think? Kid named Sparks hit a buzzer beater 3 to go to OT, but his foot may have been on the line.

Last 2 games vs Kansas were losses; Champions Classic last year and 2017 NCAAT, but prior 3 were wins; 2015 Champions Class, 2012 Champions Class, 2009 NCAAT

As for UNC, 2017 was the last meeting and MSU won, but had lost the prior 7 games in a row dating back to the 2005 Final Four. Then MSU won in 2000 and 1999.

So pretty terrible against UNC and Duke, but 7-7 overall against Kansas and 7-5 against UK. All-time (not just Izzo), from this link:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/michigan-state/head-to-head.html

Your list is missing a few... mostly losses to Duke Laughing

In the Champions Classic, MSU is 2-1 vs Kansas, 1-1 vs Kentucky, 0-3 vs Duke.

MSU beat UK in the 2005 F4 run, the game before or after they beat Duke - can't remember the order, just remember it was the same weekend I believe. UK game was crazy and went to 2OT I think? Kid named Sparks hit a buzzer beater 3 to go to OT, but his foot may have been on the line.

Last 2 games vs Kansas were losses; Champions Classic last year and 2017 NCAAT, but prior 3 were wins; 2015 Champions Class, 2012 Champions Class, 2009 NCAAT

As for UNC, 2017 was the last meeting and MSU won, but had lost the prior 7 games in a row dating back to the 2005 Final Four. Then MSU won in 2000 and 1999.

So pretty terrible against UNC and Duke, but 7-7 overall against Kansas and 7-5 against UK. All-time (not just Izzo), from this link:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/michigan-state/head-to-head.html

He's a heckuva of a coach. He's just had trouble against K and Roy... mostly Roy. Forgot UNC beat MSU in 2007 as well.

COACH VOTES
Tom Izzo, Michigan State 16%
Tony Bennett, Virginia 14%
Chris Beard, Texas Tech 11%
Kermit Davis, Ole Miss 5%
Matt Painter, Purdue 4%
Kelvin Sampson, Houston 4%
Mark Few, Gonzaga 4%
Mike Krzyzewski, Duke 4%

I would prefer Kentucky to meet MSU, UVA, Texas Tech, Ole Miss, Purdue, Houson and Gonzaga twenty times before they have to meet Duke.

This is simply stupid.

Articles like this are crazy. Holy crap.

ADVERTISEMENT