ADVERTISEMENT

Torvik rankings for Final Four teams since Feb 1

ExitFlagger

May 2, 2015
Team
Kansas
KU #1 overall. #5 offense and #4 defense.
Duke: #8 overall. #1 offense and #105 defense.
Nova: #11 overall. #15 offense and #25 defense
UNC: #12 overall. #21 offense and #20 defense.

How can Duke's defensive rating be so low with an elite rim protector?

Surprised to see KU's defense rated that high.

Reactions: HawksJ
KU is going to have to keep that defense up. This team couldn’t defend their shadow to start the year and even at the start of conference play.

The effort and focus on the defensive end has been noticeable. Communication is so much better and switching everything has helped.

If this team can keep playing defense and then all the sudden start getting hot again from the outside then they are in trouble. This is a good 3pt shooting team that has been cold lately. However, defense, rebounding and scoring at the rim has been outstanding. Get hot (and they are due if you believe in that thing) and anything can happen in NOLA.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
In the last 10 games, Duke is 157th in defensive efficiency on Torvik. That's insane. I thought their defense looked okay when I watched them.

Williams was DPOY because he played for Duke. That is the only reason. Leaky was the DPOY. When you see his stats on who he guards it really isn’t even close.
I didn't even know that he was DPOY. But he's definitely a solid rim protector.

Williams was DPOY because he played for Duke. That is the only reason. Leaky was the DPOY. When you see his stats on who he guards it really isn’t even close.
And Leaky wasnt DPOY because he plays for UNc.

UNC has been the #1 team for Torvik since March 1st. KU slightly behind. UNC surprisingly been the #1 defense in that time period.

Another big stat for advanced metrics guys. KU moved into the top 20 overall for defensive efficiency on Kenpom. Only Nova/KU are top 10 offense and top 20 defensive efficiency of the 4 teams. We’ll see if the trend holds true.

In conference play Duke was 1st in FG% defense, 1st in 3FG% defense, and 3rd in Opp. PPG. Their defense doesn’t strike fear in an opponent, but I’m surprised their metrics are SO bad

I don’t think it’s because he played for duke. I think it’s because he played for the conference regular season champion

ashton hagans won it for UK his sophomore year i think? and his advanced defensive stats really weren’t that good.

UNC has been the #1 team for Torvik since March 1st. KU slightly behind. UNC surprisingly been the #1 defense in that time period.

Another big stat for advanced metrics guys. KU moved into the top 20 overall for defensive efficiency on Kenpom. Only Nova/KU are top 10 offense and top 20 defensive efficiency of the 4 teams. We’ll see if the trend holds true.
#1 D this month? That's worrisome. Not sure who I'd prefer to play at this point.

I'm starting to think UNC is going to beat Duke.

I don’t think it’s because he played for duke. I think it’s because he played for the conference regular season champion

ashton hagans won it for UK his sophomore year i think? and his advanced defensive stats really weren’t that good.

Probably, but that's just lazy. If you look at the players Leaky has guarded and what they have done it is ridiculous. He basically takes one player and eliminates them from the game. Williams blocks some shots. Bacot shot 91 percent against him and had 23 points. He wasn't protecting much rim that game.

Probably, but that's just lazy. If you look at the players Leaky has guarded and what they have done it is ridiculous. He basically takes one player and eliminates them from the game. Williams blocks some shots. Bacot shot 91 percent against him and had 23 points. He wasn't protecting much rim that game.

Is Black on Banchero or Moore Saturday? That will be a fun matchup.

Is Black on Banchero or Moore Saturday? That will be a fun matchup.

Hopefully Griffin. That is who I wanted him on the first game. He played and shut down Paulo for the second half of the first Duke game I think after that disastrous start with Bacot guarding him for some reason. Then he was mainly on Griffin the second game and shut him down. Griffin is the key to beating Duke IMO. I would rather just let Paulo get his and shut him down. The problem with Duke now is how well Roach is playing. That takes them to a whole different level.

ADVERTISEMENT