ADVERTISEMENT

Top ten active coaches going into next season

Noahtogo24

Jan 6, 2015
Obviously with K gone , someone will ascend to the number 1 spot- and of course , with Wright and Self still in this years tourney , one of them could claim the number one spot - what’s your list people ?

Obviously with K gone , someone will ascend to the number 1 spot- and of course , with Wright and Self still in this years tourney , one of them could claim the number one spot - what’s your list people ?
are you we talking historical resume or current top 10 coaches? I mean pitino and Boeheim are there historically but I wouldn’t say they are active top 10 coaches right now.

Wright
Self
Few
Izzo
Sampson
Bennett
Pearl
Calipari
Drew
Beard

are you we talking historical resume or current top 10 coaches? I mean pitino and Boeheim are there historically but I wouldn’t say they are active top 10 coaches right now.

Wright
Self
Few
Izzo
Sampson
Bennett
Pearl
Calipari
Drew
Beard
Valid question - I will leave it up to each poster .

Wright
Self
Few
Izzo
Sampson
Bennett
Pearl
Calipari
Drew
Beard

What makes Bruce pearl part of this list?

Unless you actually think Auburn is elite?

What makes Bruce pearl part of this list?

Unless you actually think Auburn is elite?
Pearl has won 5 sec titles in his career. 3 in just last 5 years. Auburn is one of 4 programs in the country with 4- 25 win seasons over the last 5 years in college basketball. Been to a final 4 and lost by 1 point in a missed call. He has been the most successful coach in the SEC the last 5 years. Auburn was the worst program in power 5 before pearl came here. Hadn’t been to the ncaa tourney for 15 years. What he has done at auburn is very elite and not something many coaches could do

Last edited:

Wright
Self
Few
Izzo
Sampson
Bennett
Pearl
Calipari
Drew
Beard

Looks like you made a list that combined historical and current or something.

It’s why you have a problem with my list. Just own it

No I don’t care that Howard is missing I don’t think he’s a top 10 coach. But you include Izzo who has 1 tournament win in the past three seasons and Calipari who has none. So you’re probably going back further than 2-3 years.

No I don’t care that Howard is missing I don’t think he’s a top 10 coach. But you include Izzo who has 1 tournament win in the past three seasons and Calipari who has none. So you’re probably going back further than 2-3 years.
Izzo was in the final 4 in 2019. Really bro? You wouldn’t include him. Point taken I guess on Cal

Pearl has won 5 sec titles in his career. 3 in just last 5 years. Auburn is one of 4 programs in the country with 4- 25 win seasons over the last 5 years in college basketball. Been to a final 4 and lost by 1 point in a missed call. He has been the most successful coach in the SEC the last 5 years. Auburn was the worst program in power 5 before pearl came here. Hadn’t been to the ncaa tourney for 15 years. What he has done at auburn is very elite and not something many coaches could do

Out of 17 tourney opportunities (not including Covid cancel) he's only made 11.

.64 overall. With a .550 win% in the tournament.

He's made 3 field of 64, 3-32, 3-16, 1-8, 1-4.
And 1 show cause and suspension from post-season. Not exactly impressive.

Out of 17 tourney opportunities (not including Covid cancel) he's only made 11.

.64 overall. With a .550 win% in the tournament.

He's made 3 field of 64, 3-32, 3-16, 1-8, 1-4.
And 1 show cause and suspension from post-season. Not exactly impressive.
You are pretty clueless. Do you not understand what he walked into at auburn? The year before he got here our entire recruiting class left. He had 1 scholarship player when he arrived. Auburns point guard the year before pearl got indicted for point shaving. Auburn had not been in ncaa tourney for 15 years. We were a complete dumpster fire. Pearl has taken 3 different programs with zero basketball history to the sweet 16. Before that he won a national title at a D2 school that had never won shit. When you judge coaches you have to look at what they have done to rise the program from what it is historically. At this point he is perhaps the best coach of all time at two different SEC schools. You are basically knocking pearl for not winning at auburn like a blue blood school wins. Sorry you are lightweight when it comes accurately kidding basketball coaches

Last edited:
You are pretty clueless. Do you not understand what he walked into at auburn? The year before he got here our entire recruiting class left. He had 1 scholarship player when he arrived. Auburns point guard the year before pearl got indicted for point shaving. Auburn had not been in ncaa tourney for 15 years. Pearl has taken 3 different programs with zero basketball history to the sweet 16. Before that he won a national title at a D2 school that had never won shit. When you judge coaches you have to look at what they have done to rise the program from what it is historically. At this point he is perhaps the best coach of all time at two different SEC schools. You are basically knocking pearl for not winning at auburn like a blue blood school wins. Sorry you area lightweight when it comes accurately kidding basketball coaches

The guy is a known cheater and has been busted for it on 2 occasions. Probably, why Auburn got better so quickly. But, IMO, that pretty much skews his body of work. He just happens to be a decent coach that buys good players.

But back to his record. I grade coaches on the NCAA tournament, his .550 winning% is average at best and is way down most pundits lists.

The guy is a known cheater and has been busted for it on 2 occasions. Probably, why Auburn got better so quickly. But, IMO, that pretty much skews his body of work. He just happens to be a decent coach that buys good players.

But back to his record. I grade coaches on the NCAA tournament, his .550 winning% is average at best and is way down most pundits lists.
He had an illegal bbq. Gtfo here dude. Pearl isn’t doing anything that not is happening at every school that wins in America. Including Arkansas. You are dumber than shit and completely naive.

Wright
Self
Few
Izzo
Sampson
Bennett
Pearl
Calipari
Drew
Beard

One of them is not like the others.
🙃

Reactions: mtsuhog85
Izzo was in the final 4 in 2019. Really bro? You wouldn’t include him. Point taken I guess on Cal

Izzo missed the field of 68 in 2020/21
Izzo lost in the round of 32 in 2021/22
Izzo turns 68 next season, 4 years removed from his last good tournament.
MSU has made it past the round of 32 once in 6 years (and that was already 4 seasons ago)

Since Juwan Howard was hired Michigan has 5 tournament wins (Elite 8, Sweet 16). Michigan State has 1. I'm cool if you think Howard sucks but what is that saying about MSU's trajectory?

Wright
Self
Few
Izzo
Sampson
Bennett
Pearl
Calipari
Drew
Beard
Beard isn’t at that level. He’s decent but not elite without Adams. I thought that before this season and this year was further proof.

Drew should be higher though. Since he reinvented himself, he’s been as good as anyone. Without many hyped players.

MSU has made it past the round of 32 once in 6 years.

Since Juwan Howard was hired Michigan has 5 tournament wins (Elite 8, Sweet 16). Michigan State has 1. I'm cool if you think Howard sucks but what is that saying about MSU's trajectory?
I believe every 4 year player that’s okayed at msu the last 20 years or so has made the final 4 at least once.
Beard isn’t at that level. He’s decent but not elite without Adams. I thought that before this season and this year was further proof.

Drew should be higher though. Since he reinvented himself, he’s been as good as anyone. Without many hyped players.
my list wasn’t a top 10 order. It’s just the 10 I think are there.

Wright
Self
Few
Izzo
Sampson
Bennett
Pearl
Calipari
Drew
Beard

this is probably right. Musselman and Barnes next up.

MSU has made it past the round of 32 once in 6 years (and that was already 4 seasons ago)

It says that everybody has down years.

Howard has done nothing even remotely as impressive as beating the Zion Duke team. Hell, he had K on the ropes again this year with half as much talent.

It says that everybody has down years.

Howard has done nothing even remotely as impressive as beating the Zion Duke team. Hell, he had K on the ropes again this year with half as much talent.

Sure but you’re reaching back 4 seasons for that. Since Howard was hired:

Michigan:
Elite 8
Sweet 16

MSU:
Lost play in game
Lost round of 32

I’m not even arguing Howard is good. But if he sucks then MSU’s trajectory with a coach turning 68 is not good either.

He had an illegal bbq. Gtfo here dude. Pearl isn’t doing anything that not is happening at every school that wins in America. Including Arkansas. You are dumber than shit and completely naive.

NIL. Arkansas is using its Ncaa approved methods of paying athletes.

Oh and Pearl has as many FF's as he does assistants that are in jail.

NIL. Arkansas is using its Ncaa approved methods of paying athletes.

Oh and Pearl has as many FF's as he does assistants that are in jail.
And before NIL Arkansas was also paying players. When folks like you go to the cheating accusations you need to just stop. You are making yourself look like a fvcking moron.

Sure but you’re reaching back 4 seasons for that. Since Howard was hired:

Michigan:
Elite 8
Sweet 16

MSU:
Lost play in game
Lost round of 32

I’m not even arguing Howard is good. But if he sucks then MSU’s trajectory with a coach turning 68 is not good either.
Three tourneys ago. And didn’t he win the Big 10 in the Covid year and would have had a 2 seed?

I think even you know this is a silly argument that only a Michigan fan would make.

I was talking about Pearl in this occasion, but Drew and Bennett are both below average tournament coaches. They are very good in regular season though.
Again, Drew has played to seed or better 70% of the time. You’re either clueless or pathetically biased.

Three tourneys ago. And didn’t he win the Big 10 in the Covid year and would have had a 2 seed?

I think even you know this is a silly argument that only a Michigan fan would make.

When you’re talking about a coach turning 68 speaking in years is relevant. So is trajectory.

@ExitFlagger ill offer you the same bet I offered the MSU fan that he wouldn’t take.

More NCAA Tournament wins from the time Juwan Howard was hired at Michigan to the time one of Howard/Izzo leaves/retires/is fired.

I’m not even arguing Howard is good. But if he sucks and Izzo is currently and going forward a top 5 coach in the country this should be the easiest bet of your life.

I see him getting there for sure but I think you are a couple years away. Unless you just kill it in the portal this year
That ain’t happening. Way too late. Maybe this season after next. But I think by year 3 we will be on the right track.

@ExitFlagger ill offer you the same bet I offered the MSU fan that he wouldn’t take.

More NCAA Tournament wins from the time Juwan Howard was hired at Michigan to the time one of Howard/Izzo leaves/retires/is fired.

I’m not even arguing Howard is good. But if he sucks and Izzo is currently and going forward a top 5 coach in the country this should be the easiest bet of your life.
I wasn’t even comparing to Howard. The point is that it’s ridiculous to bury a coach because he hasn’t killed it in the last couple tourneys. Does he need to go to the Final Four every year for you to keep him on a top 10 list? Clearly his talent just hasn’t been at the usual level. I doubt that it’s a huge factor that he’s a couple years older. Much older coaches have had success.

I’m not making any predictions about the future. I don’t follow their recruiting. Not to mention everything’s wide open with the portal. It’s silly to predict anything right now.

I’m pretty confident that you wouldn’t place a bet on Howard ending his career with more Final Fours than Izzo though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT