ADVERTISEMENT

Top March Madness moments of decade

ThE nBa Is A sUpErIoR pRoDuCt

Cool.

Give me college basketball.
Well. It is much easier on the eyes. You explained why CBB can be more enjoyable the other day in a way I completely agree with but for the most part it’s a pretty brutal sport to watch. That’s why most people don’t give a shit about it until March.

Reactions: UL_1986
Well. It is much easier on the eyes. You explained why CBB can be more enjoyable the other day in a way I completely agree with but for the most part it’s a pretty brutal sport to watch. That’s why most people don’t give a shit about it until March.

It’s fine.

Dull nba broadcasts with disinterested crowds are brutal on the eyes to me.

Man, who you tellin? After Paiges' circus 3 pointer I knew this game was going to OT and I'm confident we would of won. Fast forward to the following year we got redemption.
Just another reason Jenkins shot, which was already maxed out clutch, was even more clutch. No way Nova wins that in OT.

Reactions: AWilli6995
Just another reason Jenkins shot, which was already maxed out clutch, was even more clutch. No way Nova wins that in OT.

That was a big boy shot right there. When he let it go I knew it was going in and I was up all night, called in sick to work the next day. To lose like that in a championship game I never took a lost that hard in my life.

Who would be "most people"? I mean, you ain't convincing me fans of UK, IU, Duke, UNC, Kansas, UL, Nova, MSU, etc, etc...don't care until March. Of course I understand the above teams represent a small amount, in comparison. But hell, I only named a few schools. College basketball for most, never stops, i.e. UK, KU, IU, etc, etc...Its a year around discussion.

College basketball is fine. The problem is how much money is now involved. But the game itself? Its good. Elite talent...elite teams...great tournament moments. So and so on.

I agree, somewhat. If he misses, the game rolls into OT. And maybe, a UNC win. But who knows. That was a very, very good Nova team. The clutch shot IMO, was the shot Paige hit. He misses---game is over. And there is no "Jenkins moment".

Reactions: WojoRising
Who would be "most people"? I mean, you ain't convincing me fans of UK, IU, Duke, UNC, Kansas, UL, Nova, MSU, etc, etc...don't care until March. Of course I understand the above teams represent a small amount, in comparison. But hell, I only named a few schools. College basketball for most, never stops, i.e. UK, KU, IU, etc, etc...Its a year around discussion.

College basketball is fine. The problem is how much money is now involved. But the game itself? Its good. Elite talent...elite teams...great tournament moments. So and so on.

Agreed. The NBA is a different product. There are tons of fans who only tune into the NNA for the playoffs just like some folks wait until March madness. In both cases these are casual fans.

Reactions: IUfanBorden

Most people? How about America?

Only showed one of Harrison's three game winners. Imagine if he hit a game winner against UConn to make it 4 straight and win the title. Dude would've gone down as having the biggest balls in NCAAM history.

Most people? How about America?
I could say the same about the NBA, schooner. Each sport has a selective group that it attracts. For me? I really only watch the NBA during the playoff's. I highly doubt I am the only who does so. MOF, I'd dare say I am one of probably thousands, if not millions, who do so. And yes, the same can be said about the college game. Look comparing the two sports, one which is an amateur sport, is silly. They both attract two totally different audiences, for the most part.

The two sports, though the same in structure, are as different as night an day. One displays the worlds greatest players....The other is the platform that provides that product.

I could say the same about the NBA, schooner. Each sport has a selective group that it attracts. For me? I really only watch the NBA during the playoff's. I highly doubt I am the only who does so. MOF, I'd dare say I am one of probably thousands, if not millions, who do so. And yes, the same can be said about the college game. Look comparing the two sports, one which is an amateur sport, is silly. They both attract two totally different audiences, for the most part.

The two sports, though the same in structure, are as different as night an day. One displays the worlds greatest players....The other is the platform that provides that product.
Ok. I understand all of that. It’s obvious.

Are you trying to argue?

The NBA is easier to watch from a basketball perspective. That and its players storylines combine to make it a much better product than college basketball. That’s it. It’s pretty simple.

Ok. I understand all of that. It’s obvious.

Are you trying to argue?

The NBA is easier to watch from a basketball perspective. That and its players storylines combine to make it a much better product than college basketball. That’s it. It’s pretty simple.
Not trying to argue. I just don't agree. The NBA from a talent stand point is easier to watch. That is obvious. But as far as the game itself? I mean, not really. I mean, what is a foul? Or a travel? I see dudes hugging dudes when setting a screen, and its a play on. So I guess if by "easier on the eyes", you mean not calling travels and fouls---then I agree. Personally, I think the NBA is terribly officiated. I mean, I am utterly surprised when I see a travel MOF, I 'm shocked an NBA official knows the proper mechanic for a travel.
As for storylines? Of course. The NBA is a business. It's a a business by promoting its team(s), players, etc..So telling us how Player A came from living in a swamp, to an NBA phenom, is what the NBA does. It does this to promote. To sell tix. So you know---they can pay those $350 million max contracts. CBB does not do this , as it's not a business so to speak in the same terms of the NBA. CBB story line, is well, March Madness.

Again brother, two different products, with totally different approaches, and audiences.

Its pretty simple really.

Not trying to argue. I just don't agree. The NBA from a talent stand point is easier to watch. That is obvious. But as far as the game itself? I mean, not really. I mean, what is a foul? Or a travel? I see dudes hugging dudes when setting a screen, and its a play on. So I guess if by "easier on the eyes", you mean not calling travels and fouls---then I agree. Personally, I think the NBA is terribly officiated. I mean, I am utterly surprised when I see a travel MOF, I 'm shocked an NBA official knows the proper mechanic for a travel.
As for storylines? Of course. The NBA is a business. It's a a business by promoting its team(s), players, etc..So telling us how Player A came from living in a swamp, to an NBA phenom, is what the NBA does. It does this to promote. To sell tix. So you know---they can pay those $350 million max contracts. CBB does not do this , as it's not a business so to speak in the same terms of the NBA. CBB story line, is well, March Madness.

Again brother, two different products, with totally different approaches, and audiences.

Its pretty simple really.
You hear people say all the time that officials ruin the games in CBB. It seems to me like the officials are letting them play in the NBA. That seems to be what the people want.

You hear people say all the time that officials ruin the games in CBB. It seems to me like the officials are letting them play in the NBA. That seems to be what the people want.
You hear that because CBB is on a bigger stage. Its on ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPNU, ACC, Big10, SEC networks. CBS, ABC, FoxSports. You hear it because its more visable. When heavyweights go at in the NBA, the game isn't viewed like say when a Kansas/Kentucky play. Or a Duke/MSU battle. In other words, bad calls stick out more in CBB, because well, they are paid attention to more. If there's a bad call, or calls in a Lakers game, it isn't shown 14 different times during the game, then talked about another 50 times on SC. Or all over twitter. Or well, on here. In college? Dude, we had a 60 page thread over the officiating about the KU/UK game a few years back.

NBA fans are more concerned with getting a seat near the bench, seeing a LBJ dunk, or a celebrity, than they are over a bad call. The NBA is a business of entertainment. CBB is not.

You hear that because CBB is on a bigger stage. Its on ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPNU, ACC, Big10, SEC networks. CBS, ABC, FoxSports. You hear it because its more visable. When heavyweights go at in the NBA, the game isn't viewed like say when a Kansas/Kentucky play. Or a Duke/MSU battle. In other words, bad calls stick out more in CBB, because well, they are paid attention to more. If there's a bad call, or calls in a Lakers game, it isn't shown 14 different times during the game, then talked about another 50 times on SC. Or all over twitter. Or well, on here. In college? Dude, we had a 60 page thread over the officiating about the KU/UK game a few years back.

NBA fans are more concerned with getting a seat near the bench, seeing a LBJ dunk, or a celebrity, than they are over a bad call. The NBA is a business of entertainment. CBB is not.
Are you trying to suggest that a Kansas-Kentucky game is bigger to the sports world than something like the Lakers-Celtics?

Are you trying to suggest that a Kansas-Kentucky game is bigger to the sports world than something like the Lakers-Celtics?
If the Celtics and Lakers play the same night Kentucky and Kansas play----What game you think is getting the lead on SportsCenter? Also, if there is a questionable call or two, in the Laker/Celtic game, does it get more attention that say a questionable, controversial call in a UK/Kansas game?

I think you know the answer(s).

If the Celtics and Lakers play the same night Kentucky and Kansas play----What game you think is getting the lead on SportsCenter? Also, if there is a questionable call or two, in the Laker/Celtic game, does it get more attention that say a questionable, controversial call in a UK/Kansas game?

Is this a trick question?

Surely you aren’t gonna say the CBB game are you?

Is this a trick question?

Surely you aren’t gonna say the CBB game are you?
Dude, really? Tell me the last time a controversial call was talked about MORE on twitter, SC, HERE, or anywhere, about an NBA game, compared to a college game? The college game is much more visible. There is a college game on National TV, damn near every single night. ESPN's, Fox Sports, Big 10, ACC and SEC channels. And thats just the regular season. It magnifies immensely during conference play, conference tourney's, and of course, the NCAAT.

So yes, if Top 5 UK and Top 5 Kansas play on the same night as the Lakers/Celtics, my money is on the UK/KU game being the lead.

Dude, really? Tell me the last time a controversial call was talked about MORE on twitter, SC, HERE, or anywhere, about an NBA game, compared to a college game? The college game is much more visible. There is a college game on National TV, damn near every single night. ESPN's, Fox Sports, Big 10, ACC and SEC channels. And thats just the regular season. It magnifies immensely during conference play, conference tourney's, and of course, the NCAAT.

So yes, if Top 5 UK and Top 5 Kansas play on the same night as the Lakers/Celtics, my money is on the UK/KU game being the lead.
You don’t hear about bad calls in the NBA much because they understand you let the guys play. We already went over this.

And seriously, it blows my mind that you think that way. I feel like if we did a poll the Lakers-Celtics would get 90% of the votes. I could be wrong but I don’t think so. I don’t think you realize just how insignificant CBB is to very large portions of the country.

Reactions: UL_1986
You don’t hear about bad calls in the NBA much because they understand you let the guys play. We already went over this.

And seriously, it blows my mind that you think that way. I feel like if we did a poll the Lakers-Celtics would get 90% of the votes. I could be wrong but I don’t think so. I don’t think you realize just how insignificant CBB is to very large portions of the country.
If by "letting them play", you mean not calling fouls,travels---then I agree 100%. I could post 10 articles proclaiming how bad officiating is in the NBA. Or how corrupt it is thought to be. Or how officials lean toward favorites, and or how they pick on certain players, i.e. see Allen Iverson. Just look at the recent non-travel call involving LeBron? Dude, it was laughed about it was so bad.

As for how insignificant CBB is to very large portions of the country? I am sure it is. But on the flip side, I don't think you realize how insignificant the NBA is, to very large portions of the country. And you know, TV Ratings don't lie. For example: In early November, the Lakers/Warriors drew 1.9 million viewers. On the same night, Oregon and Memphis---Yes Oregon and Memphis, drew 902, 000. A mere 100, 000 less. Dude---That's MEMPHIS AND OREGON, damn near out drawing the Lakers and Warriors. Then, the Champions Classic game of Kansas/Duke, drew 2.6 million---And that is DOWN. MOF, it was a three year low. UK/MSU drew 2.2 million---down 16%. Yet it still outdrew a Lakers/Warriors game. And this was during a time where numbers for the Champions Classic was down. All the while, the Lakers were trotting out AD and LeBron. Yet still didn't come close to outdrawing a college game. Shit, it was damn near less than Oregon vs Memphis. MOF, that game(Mem/Oregon) had more viewers than most NBA games that same week. Yeah---Oregon vs Memphis.

College basketball is a ton more popular than you think.

I agree, somewhat. If he misses, the game rolls into OT. And maybe, a UNC win. But who knows. That was a very, very good Nova team. The clutch shot IMO, was the shot Paige hit. He misses---game is over. And there is no "Jenkins moment".
The way I remember it, UNC had a crazy amount of momentum and it just felt like it was there for the taking for them had it hit OT. Obviously all what ifs, could be remembering it wrong.

Reactions: AWilli6995
If by "letting them play", you mean not calling fouls,travels---then I agree 100%. I could post 10 articles proclaiming how bad officiating is in the NBA. Or how corrupt it is thought to be. Or how officials lean toward favorites, and or how they pick on certain players, i.e. see Allen Iverson. Just look at the recent non-travel call involving LeBron? Dude, it was laughed about it was so bad.

As for how insignificant CBB is to very large portions of the country? I am sure it is. But on the flip side, I don't think you realize how insignificant the NBA is, to very large portions of the country. And you know, TV Ratings don't lie. For example: In early November, the Lakers/Warriors drew 1.9 million viewers. On the same night, Oregon and Memphis---Yes Oregon and Memphis, drew 902, 000. A mere 100, 000 less. Dude---That's MEMPHIS AND OREGON, damn near out drawing the Lakers and Warriors. Then, the Champions Classic game of Kansas/Duke, drew 2.6 million---And that is DOWN. MOF, it was a three year low. UK/MSU drew 2.2 million---down 16%. Yet it still outdrew a Lakers/Warriors game. And this was during a time where numbers for the Champions Classic was down. All the while, the Lakers were trotting out AD and LeBron. Yet still didn't come close to outdrawing a college game. Shit, it was damn near less than Oregon vs Memphis. MOF, that game(Mem/Oregon) had more viewers than most NBA games that same week. Yeah---Oregon vs Memphis.

College basketball is a ton more popular than you think.

We maths different..

Reactions: lurkeraspect84

Several factors would come into play! If UK/KU are both ranked top 5 and the Celtics and Lakers are horrible then the college gets the nod but if it’s the other way around the NBA gets the lead. Just depends on the teams really.

I'm a no body, I watch every college basketball I can watch. I basically only watch NBA playoffs.

I like cbb and NBA about the same, but the NBA is a better product. It’s just facts. Comparing some boring matchup is frivolous because, both the NBA and college hoops have boring matchups occasionally that no one cares about (i.e. Duke playing some nobody team or UofL or UK playing some crappy team before conference play or even during conference play with a bottom feeder) same goes for NBA when it’s a top team playing the Cavs or the Hornets for instance. However, a game like the Lakers-Clippers, Lakers-Bucks, or even Celtics-Lakers/Celtics Clipps will have a much larger following, and can be extremely exciting. To argue otherwise means you’re not watching..

The way I remember it, UNC had a crazy amount of momentum and it just felt like it was there for the taking for them had it hit OT. Obviously all what ifs, could be remembering it wrong.

You remembered right, UNC had the momemtum and blowing that lead late I think would of carried over into OT. Anyone can play the what if game but they closed the deal in regulation.

Well that felt just as horrible as I expected...

2015 - Cincy hits a buzzer-beater to send it to OT
2016 - Arkansas Little Rock hits an absurd 3 to send it to OT
2019 - Sisqo hits a buzzer-beater to send it to OT

All three of those games did not end the way I had hoped.

I think basketball is just better-suited for college and high schoolers. In general, watching balding 30-something millionaires compete (and then act like two-year-olds in postgame pressers) just feels silly.

The other aspect is the atmosphere. Atmosphere can make or break a sporting event, and the atmosphere at an NBA game almost never compares to a big-time college atmosphere.

And no matter what anyone says, the intensity level just isn't there in the average regular season game.

Well that felt just as horrible as I expected...

2015 - Cincy hits a buzzer-beater to send it to OT
2016 - Arkansas Little Rock hits an absurd 3 to send it to OT
2019 - Sisqo hits a buzzer-beater to send it to OT

All three of those games did not end the way I had hoped.

We had 2 **** you's and 3 hell yea's.

Reactions: CardinalBoiler
I like cbb and NBA about the same, but the NBA is a better product. It’s just facts. Comparing some boring matchup is frivolous because, both the NBA and college hoops have boring matchups occasionally that no one cares about (i.e. Duke playing some nobody team or UofL or UK playing some crappy team before conference play or even during conference play with a bottom feeder) same goes for NBA when it’s a top team playing the Cavs or the Hornets for instance. However, a game like the Lakers-Clippers, Lakers-Bucks, or even Celtics-Lakers/Celtics Clipps will have a much larger following, and can be extremely exciting. To argue otherwise means you’re not watching..

The Lakers-Bucks just played and that might be the most hyped regular season game of the season for Milwaukee with NBA Finals vibes. The Badgers will have at least 5 home games that match or surpass the level of intensity at Fiserv Forum that night.

That’s not even going into games like Kentucky/Louisville, Michigan/Michigan St., Duke/UNC, Indiana/Purdue, etc.

I think basketball is just better-suited for college and high schoolers. In general, watching balding 30-something millionaires compete (and then act like two-year-olds in postgame pressers) just feels silly.

The other aspect is the atmosphere. Atmosphere can make or break a sporting event, and the atmosphere at an NBA game almost never compares to a big-time college atmosphere.

And no matter what anyone says, the intensity level just isn't there in the average regular season game.

Yup, same for goes for football. College football gamedays and tailgating trump the ever loving shit out of NFL gamedays and tailgating.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT