ADVERTISEMENT

Top coaching jobs per CBS.

lurkeraspect84

Mar 4, 2014
FeTw6k6XgAEeqZt

I’d have Duke #2 over Kansas.

As long as barnhardt is the AD at Kentucky it’s a little lower as well.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
i think IU should be 5.
Not sure how they are ranking---or what criteria---but I don't see how AZ, Nova or UCLA is above Indiana...

IMO, UK, Duke, UNC, KU and IU are pretty interchangeable TBH....For me criteria for "best jobs" would be..In no order...

1. Fan base
2. facilities
3. history
4. recruiting ability
5. $$$

I don't have an issue including Duke, since they have been a ntional power since 1986. I do not think they have the following of KU, UNC, UK or IU though.

Indiana to me is a job that, with the right hire, is a sleeping monster. Had KS stayed, we would be mentioning Indiana with the likes of KU, UK, Duke, UNC, etc, etc...

Top 5 jobs for me are IU, UK, UNC, Duke and Kansas.

I’d have Duke #2 over Kansas.

As long as barnhardt is the AD at Kentucky it’s a little lower as well.
I don't see much of a difference between IU, KU, UK, Duke or UNC, tbh.....You take Cal and plug him in at any of the other 4, and he's doing what he's doing now....Same with Self, or K----same could be said about Roy....Cannot include any former IU coaches sans Knight/Sampson.

Jury still out on Woodson---but I think IU got shit right with hiring him; should have done so years ago, tbh...

Not sure how they are ranking---or what criteria---but I don't see how AZ, Nova or UCLA is above Indiana...

IMO, UK, Duke, UNC, KU and IU are pretty interchangeable TBH....For me criteria for "best jobs" would be..In no order...

1. Fan base
2. facilities
3. history
4. recruiting ability
5. $$$

I don't have an issue including Duke, since they have been a ntional power since 1986. I do not think they have the following of KU, UNC, UK or IU though.

Indiana to me is a job that, with the right hire, is a sleeping monster. Had KS stayed, we would be mentioning Indiana with the likes of KU, UK, Duke, UNC, etc, etc...

I agree that Duke doesn’t have the traditional fan following of the schools you mentioned - I do think Duke has a stronger “marketable” following than an Indiana, though. Social media buzz, name recognition for non-die hard CBB followers, and extended national footprint of more loosely associated “fans” that will click links, like, share, and comment “😈🔥” That’s where the money is now.

Needless to say, I’m speaking as a hypocrite here as I didn’t go to Duke, but unfortunately these things matter more than a raving local fanbase now, I think. I think that’s where Duke separates with a Kentucky, UNC, etc. from a branding point of view, which masquerades as fandom in the modern world.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
I agree that Duke doesn’t have the traditional fan following of the schools you mentioned - I do think Duke has a stronger “marketable” following than an Indiana, though. Social media buzz, name recognition for non-die hard CBB followers, and extended national footprint of more loosely associated “fans” that will click links, like, share, and comment “😈🔥” That’s where the money is now.

Needless to say, I’m speaking as a hypocrite here as I didn’t go to Duke, but unfortunately these things matter more than a raving local fanbase now, I think. I think that’s where Duke separates with a Kentucky, UNC, etc. from a branding point of view, which masquerades as fandom in the modern world.
great point.

FcJacCsXkAAYNiQ

FcEX2FvXwAkr1MQ

Fair point(s)---Although I think IU is a FF away from re-entering the discussion.

Fair point(s)---Although I think IU is a FF away from re-entering the discussion.
That’s the downside of this modern day value system of fandom, indeed. Indiana has been through some hard years, and their brick and mortar fans haven’t wavered.

Back to back 10-loss seasons and Duke’s social media value is back to zero.

That’s the downside of this modern day value system of fandom, indeed. Indiana has been through some hard years, and their brick and mortar fans haven’t wavered.

Back to back 10-loss seasons and Duke’s social media value is back to zero.
Do you feel w/o K,its inevitable they lose some of that anyways? That Scheyer has to win "big" to keep the momentum----Or would being good,be good enough?

Do you feel w/o K,it’s inevitable they lose some of that anyways? That Scheyer has to win "big" to keep the momentum----Or would being good,be good enough?
If Scheyer wins big out of the gate and has a Hubert Davis happen, I think Duke could become even “cooler.” The reality is that it’s definitely likely Duke cools down some, as I’m certain there will be ups and downs. Being a consistent top-20 team isn’t good enough I don’t think. People have terrible attention spans and will lose interest immediately.

The other alternative is that Duke keeps recruiting and producing pros at the same level, at which point wins get a little more leeway with the casual crowd. That’s a lot to ask, though.

Agree....its why Ifeel that if IU were to makesome noise this year,it changes things; hell, they went 21-14 last year, and the perception of the program has chamged dramatically.
ive shared with you on my desire to get IU back, its great for the game.

i think a lot of folks agree. haters no, but fans of the game sure.

ive shared with you on my desire to get IU back, its great for the game.

i think a lot of folks agree. haters no, but fans of the game sure.
Yep, you have; still gotta little Hoosier in your UK ass... 😁

"Haters" to me are just folk who hate the idea of Indiana being a player again. Its fun ragging on us---and I get it, b/c I'd do, and do, th same thing. Purdue fans, even some Illinois fans, just don't wanna accept the idea---sort of like Hillary lovers with Trumpy getting elected. It'll absolutely destroy their mentality...

I think Indiana is close...

Yep, you have; still gotta little Hoosier in your UK ass... 😁

"Haters" to me are just folk who hate the idea of Indiana being a player again. Its fun ragging on us---and I get it, b/c I'd do, and do, th same thing. Purdue fans, even some Illinois fans, just don't wanna accept the idea---sort of like Hillary lovers with Trumpy getting elected. It'll absolutely destroy their mentality...

I think Indiana is close...
i did live there during developmental ages of 4-6.

Zero chance the at Kansas job is a better job than at Kentucky.

.. "imo", but fr
TBH there beautiful, I don't think there's much of a diference between the two---if any. Large fan bases, facilities, tradition, expectations(logical), money, etc.....I mean where is the difference? Self won at every stop---Tulsa, Illinois and now Kansas. Cal has won at every stop---UMass, Memphis and now Kentucky. You could put Self at UK, Cal at KU, and I'd bet the results would be damn near identical. I mean bascally, they alrady are.

Reactions: KisteK

1. Fan base
2. facilities
3. history
4. recruiting ability
5. $$$

Spot on and I don't like to agree with Borden. :D I can find no fault with this post except Duke and Kansas' facilities do not compare favorably.

How did they put Arizona at 5?

Edit: I changed the facilities comment.

Last edited:
Spot on and I don't like to agree with Borden. :D I can find no fault with this post.

How did they put Arizona at 5?
Weather? 😎 I think its a very good job. However I do not think its on par with UK, KU, UNC, IU or Duke....If any school outside those 5 is a contender, IMO it would be UCLA. Its hard, sort of, to leave UCLA out.

Weather? 😎 I think its a very good job. However I do not think its on par with UK, KU, UNC, IU or Duke....If any school outside those 5 is a contender, IMO it would be UCLA. Its hard, sort of, to leave UCLA out.
Have you ever been to Arizona in summer? That ain't good weather. Hell I spent a day in Phoenix because the plane could not leave until the temperature got below 120°F.

Have you ever been to Arizona in summer? That ain't good weather. Hell I spent a day in Phoenix because the plane could not leave until the temperature got below 120°F.
That's why the Arizona coaches usually have summer beach houses in San Diego. I think the top 4 is pretty solid. After that, it's definitely up for debate. Arizona has proven you can recruit and win there quick. The fan base is very devoted but not psycho to the point that it can bring too much pressure like at any of the blue bloods which is very appealing. Is it # 5, maybe not but I don't think it's crazy to be in the discussion.

UCLA is a tough one. They have pedigree but top five coaching jobs don't hire Steve Alford as their head coach. And while Cronin has proven to be a solid hire, he was probably the 8th person they asked after everyone else turned them down, something that has happened the last three times they've replaced coaches. At the end of the day, how can you be a top 5 job if nobody wants to coach there?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
ADVERTISEMENT