ADVERTISEMENT

Top Basketball Venues

Top three venues in CBB are AFH, Cameron, and Rupp. Don’t think this can be debated.
What do you mean by top 3? AFH is IMO the best in CBB. Rupp is outdated & a dump to sit in the upper arena. Cameron is a great gym but it’s a little on the small side.

UCLA is one of the worst venues/atmospheres, whatever you want to call it, in the entire country. All of those Pac-12 places are awful, minus Arizona and maybe Utah.

Reactions: uncfan in ky
What do you mean by top 3? AFH is IMO the best in CBB. Rupp is outdated & a dump to sit in the upper arena. Cameron is a great gym but it’s a little on the small side.
Overall top three are those. Rupp is uncomfortable in parts but they’ve done a lot recently to improve the technology and things.

Nah, I wouldn’t.

giphy.gif

Have you been to either place for a big game?
I have not. But I wouldn’t use the big game argument against Rupp. Largest arena in the country plus a big game, it’s pretty damn loud. If you wanted to argue game for game Rupp is worse than you got me. Factor in tradition, attendance, record, Rupp has the other two beat.

I have not. But I wouldn’t use the big game argument against Rupp. Largest arena in the country plus a big game, it’s pretty damn loud. If you wanted to argue game for game Rupp is worse than you got me. Factor in tradition, attendance, record, Rupp has the other two beat.
I am not arguing against Rupp. It was a simple question because I was curious.

Reactions: JimboBBN
The carrier dome is getting a much needed renovation, too. New roof is the main change. They’re trying to change it enough to get out of the naming rights deal with carrier. Oh, it’s finally getting air conditioning, as well.

I can't get it to load, but Hinkle Fieldhouse and the Palestra are both places that should be on any college basketball venue lists.

There's not a lof of history, and the fan support is so-so, but I live in the Seattle area and like watching games at UW Alaska Airlines Arena. It's an old barn. If Hopkins gets the program going, it'll be a fun place.

Nothing like the real Assembly Hall though for me.

The carrier dome is getting a much needed renovation, too. New roof is the main change. They’re trying to change it enough to get out of the naming rights deal with carrier. Oh, it’s finally getting air conditioning, as well.

Wait a minute. You mean the Carrier dome, brought to you by a huge HVAC company, doesn't have AC?

Reactions: MileHighSpartan
Top three venues in CBB are AFH, Cameron, and Rupp. Don’t think this can be debated.
Absolutely. 1a, 1b, and 1c. Although AFH is clearly 1a. Winking

Hilton should be on the list, IMO. ISU is just about as hard as anyone to play at home.

Reactions: JimboBBN
Y'all should check out a game at JPJ if you get a chance. It's one of the most beautiful arenas in the country and that place gets LOUD, especially near the end of the shot clock (when we're on defense, assholes)

Gallagher Iba? That place is as loud as a church. I’d put Hilton over that place in a heartbeat.

Absolutely. 1a, 1b, and 1c. Although AFH is clearly 1a. Winking

Hilton should be on the list, IMO. ISU is just about as hard as anyone to play at home.
Yup, no problem admitting AFH is number one. If I ever take a trip to Lawrence I expect you to show me a good time If you know what I mean SmokinSmile

I've never been to any of them but people I know have. I've heard people who liked and disliked most of them(including CIS, Rupp, and The Dean Dome). I've never heard anyone say anything negative about AFH though.

Reactions: KisteK
Y'all should check out a game at JPJ if you get a chance. It's one of the most beautiful arenas in the country and that place gets LOUD, especially near the end of the shot clock (when we're on defense, assholes)

I would agree with this. JPJ is about the perfect size for an on campus facility. I drove up with my daughter for the UVA-Villanova game a couple years ago. Even 6-7 rows from the top the view was great. Basketball only arenas are the best. I wish Villanova could do something on the scale of JPJ but Radnor Township won't let that happen. We have to settle for renovating a 30+ year old Pavilion.

A couple years ago I went to a game at San Diego State - that arena is a blast. Great student section known as "The Show". Looks like SDSU's The Show may have fallen off which is too bad, they were great the game I was at.

Reactions: jhmossy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT