ADVERTISEMENT

Top 100 Recruits - The last 5 seasons

The idea that Shaka had to rebuild is ridiculous. Barnes’s last team was as good as any of Shaka’s, and he left him with a solid roster. He inherited a program that was in the tourney every year and occasionally made a run. In 5 years, he’s made the tourney twice (barely) and won zero tourney games. I don’t think a solid season in year 6 will “prove” anything. Short of a national title.

Some fans just have low expectations, I guess. If Self had a 5 year stretch like Shaka’s, I can guarantee he’d be on the hot seat or fired. Despite winning a title, going deep in the tourney every other year and winning 50 Big 12 titles.

Leonard Hamilton didn't make the NCAA Tournament until his sixth year at Florida State...

Should have been fired according to some people's logic.

Hard to compare the situations. Shaka inherited a program that was in the tourney every year. The idea was to take the next step and win the conference and make deep runs regularly. I don’t think the idea was to go backwards for 5 years.

Leonard Hamilton didn't make the NCAA Tournament until his sixth year at Florida State...

Should have been fired according to some people's logic.

Leonard Hamilton took over a program that hadn’t won more than 6 ACC games in a decade. FSU went 9-21 a year or two before Hamilton came in. He immediately turned them into a winner and had tournament quality teams (only 64 back then) within a couple years. And he did it in the best conference in the country.

Shaka took over a program that Rick Barnes made the NCAAT the year before Shaka arrived.

Reactions: duckboy33
Big 12 will need someone once KU gets their program ran over by the NCAA

Most likely will be Texas.

Either Shaka wins this year or he is gone

The only way KU loses its dominance over the league is if Self is fired or resigns. And I don’t see him resigning.

Self can put together an elite team with less talent than the average Texas team.

Hard to compare the situations. Shaka inherited a program that was in the tourney every year. The idea was to take the next step and win the conference and make deep runs regularly. I don’t think the idea was to go backwards for 5 years.

Shakas best team at Texas was in his first year. That’s pretty telling

Reactions: ExitFlagger
Leonard Hamilton took over a program that hadn’t won more than 6 ACC games in a decade. FSU went 9-21 a year or two before Hamilton came in. He immediately turned them into a winner and had tournament quality teams (only 64 back then) within a couple years. And he did it in the best conference in the country.

Shaka took over a program that Rick Barnes made the NCAAT the year before Shaka arrived.

Took him 6 years to play in the tournament.

Regarding Shaka.
The decision has already been made for next year.
We will see what he does.

Shakas best team had a losing conference record? Yikes

That was what happens when your best guard goes out and you have young guards.

That team was the best team he put together.
Jacob Young is one of the best players at Rutgers. James Banks is the best player at GA Tech
These were guys not getting major minutes.

They weren't program fits and he had to kick them out.
The other issue is Shaka's early recruiting misses.
He has fixed that IMO.

Took him 6 years to play in the tournament.

Regarding Shaka.
The decision has already been made for next year.
We will see what he does.

Barnes’ last year Texas was 20-14 and ranked 24th on KenPom.

Shaka‘s 5th year Texas was 19-12 and 61st on KenPom.

Steve Robinson’s last year at FSU, FSU was 12-17 and 121st on KenPom.

Leonard Hamilton’s 5th year, FSU was 22-13 and 34th on KenPom.

Not hard to see which coach improved things and which one didn’t.

Barnes’ last year Texas was 20-14 and ranked 24th on KenPom.

Shaka‘s 5th year Texas was 19-12 and 61st on KenPom.

Steve Robinson’s last year at FSU, FSU was 12-17 and 121st on KenPom.

Leonard Hamilton’s 5th year, FSU was 22-13 and 34th on KenPom.

Not hard to see which coach improved things and which one didn’t.

Why not use the fourth year.

Teams aren't all on the same trajectory because of players.

Barnes rebuild is basically Shakas high point at Texas

About the same.
He was 17-14 last year. Actually missed the tournament 3 of the 5 years and next year is being projected as a double digit seed.

Barnes is a decent regular season coach but never was one who I was comfortable with coaching in the tournament.
Always saw the best of his teams before the tournament started.

His best team was probably his third year.
Andrew Jones went out right before Big 12 play and then they had to kick a bunch off of the team.

Shaka has to learn to manage his roster better. This isn’t VCU, you don’t take any top 100 recruit you can get. Shaka will learn from his mistakes and be a better coach because of it. Just not sure if it will happen at Texas or not

About the same.
He was 17-14 last year. Actually missed the tournament 3 of the 5 years and next year is being projected as a double digit seed.

Barnes is a decent regular season coach but never was one who I was comfortable with coaching in the tournament.
Always saw the best of his teams before the tournament started.

I understand why Texas got rid of Barnes but they went for the sexy, exciting hire instead of a veteran coach. That was their mistake

Shaka has to learn to manage his roster better. This isn’t VCU, you don’t take any top 100 recruit you can get. Shaka will learn from his mistakes and be a better coach because of it. Just not sure if it will happen at Texas or not

I don't think that was ever the case.
I think the issue was Shaka wasn't totally knowledgeable about all the players especially in Texas.

That is the difference now. We see the difference with the last two recruiting classes.

His other problem was Jaxson Hayes ..

He fixed that with Kai Jones.
If Shaka wanted Kai Jones would have been a lottery pick this year

Tennessee wasn't a great team last year.
I don't see how you can say rolling.

His peak he went to the Sweet 16. Had to rebuild the team and was a bubble team last year

That was a solid top 20ish team before all the injuries.

Top 5 all year in the previous season. Got hosed in a coin flip Sweet 16 game. 26 wins and a 3 seed the year before.

Everyone associated with Tenn is happy with Barnes.

I have been watching Texas basketball for awhile and I have never seen a player with the raw talent that Kai Jones has.

We will see with his development.
The athleticism and length is crazy.

Have had some guys 7-0 but none that can run the floor like they are 6-6.
This includes even Myles Turner

I don't think that was ever the case.
I think the issue was Shaka wasn't totally knowledgeable about all the players especially in Texas.

That is the difference now. We see the difference with the last two recruiting classes.

His other problem was Jaxson Hayes ..

He fixed that with Kai Jones.
If Shaka wanted Kai Jones would have been a lottery pick this year

Shaka better stop holding back but he’s going into year 6 without a tournament win

I have been watching Texas basketball for awhile and I have never seen a player with the raw talent that Kai Jones has.

We will see with his development.
The athleticism and length is crazy.

Have had some guys 7-0 but none that can run the floor like they are 6-6.
This includes even Myles Turner
That’s cool, but when is it going to translate to success?

Reactions: duckboy33
Why not use the fourth year.

Teams aren't all on the same trajectory because of players.

Ham’s 4 year he was 20-10 with the 38th best KenPom team.

Shaka was 21-16 and 25th.

Ham was obviously improving things. Shaka is at best treading water with what Rick Barnes left him.

Ham’s 4 year he was 20-10 with the 38th best KenPom team.

Shaka was 21-16 and 25th.

Ham was obviously improving things. Shaka is at best treading water with what Rick Barnes left him.

Shaka is treading water..
No one can disagree but in his mind he has the team to change that

We will have to see. He bought himself another year.

Like I have said the weird thing is he is going to ride with what he has.
Not looking desperate at all trying to bring in a bunch of transfers.

Shaka is treading water..
No one can disagree but in his mind he has the team to change that

We will have to see. He bought himself another year.

Like I have said the weird thing is he is going to ride with what he has.
Not looking desperate at all trying to bring in a bunch of transfers.

Buddy, half the posters on this board could “coach” Greg Brown and Kai Jones to a Sweet 16. The roster is stacked.

If Texas loses 12+ games again, Shaka might officially be the worst high major coach in the country.

Buddy, half the posters on this board could “coach” Greg Brown and Kai Jones to a Sweet 16. The roster is stacked.

If Texas loses 12+ games again, Shaka might officially be the worst high major coach in the country.

So you see why Shaka is willing to bet on this team.
More than that you see why the Texas Athletic Department gave him that year to prove himself. They fire him they lose Greg Brown and lose some players possibly to transfer and they have to restart

That was my original point in the beginning.

So you see why Shaka is willing to bet on this team.
More than that you see why the Texas Athletic Department gave him that year to prove himself.

That was my original point in the beginning.

Lol. No that’s not what we are all saying. We are saying him going 22-10 and losing in the first or second round of the Dance with multiple lottery picks isn’t going to suddenly mean he’s a good coach.

Texas recruits itself. You don’t need Shaka to recruit and fall on his face with the recruits. But hey, I hope y’all keep him for the next 10 years. One less team I have to worry about.

Lol. No that’s not what we are all saying. We are saying him going 22-10 and losing in the first or second round of the Dance with multiple lottery picks isn’t going to suddenly mean he’s a good coach.

Texas recruits itself. You don’t need Shaka to recruit and fall on his face with the recruits. But hey, I hope y’all keep him for the next 10 years. One less team I have to worry about.

Unlike Leonard Hamilton he has been to a Final 4
I have been around basketball long enough and believe a team going to the Final 4 isn't a fluke.

You tend to trash other programs and coaches but ultimately I think both of these program with their current coaches can easily match what Hamilton has done the last couple of years.

I have been around basketball long enough and believe a team going to the Final 4 isn't a fluke.

You tend to trash other programs and coaches but ultimately I think both of these program with their current coaches can easily match what Hamilton has done the last couple of years.

Mike Davis went to a Final Four. Enough said.

Honestly, I think I’m a pretty complimentary poster. I definitely know FSU’s place in the hoops world and how lucky we are to have Ham. Just call em like I see em when it comes to coaches.

Reactions: olsonab
I think Barnes is a huge douche who likes to blame anyone but himself when his team loses and he will never win the big one, but anyone who thinks Shaka is better than him has very limited basketball knowledge...

Reactions: GE Nole

It was a fluke. He’s never even won a conference title. Never had another decent run. Until he proves otherwise, that’s the definition of fluke.

Every year he gets whipped twice by Bill Self teams with comparable talent to his own. Yet a VCU team with less talent than possibly all his Texas teams beat one of Self’s best? I’d call that a fluke.

Reactions: olsonab and GE Nole
It was a fluke. He’s never even won a conference title. Never had another decent run. Until he proves otherwise, that’s the definition of fluke.

Every year he gets whipped twice by Bill Self teams with comparable talent to his own. Yet a VCU team with less talent than possibly all his Texas teams beat one of Self’s best? I’d call that a fluke.

Not really.
Not saying coaches can make multiple Final 4 runs.
But if you can lead your team to a Final 4 you are a legit coach. Might only be one but this is why so many people around the game speak up for Shaka.

If we only included 5 star recruits 2016-2020:

AAC: - 2
Memphis - 2

ACC: - 37
Duke - 18
North Carolina - 8
Florida State - 3
Louisville - 3
Miami FL - 3
Wake Forest - 1
NC State - 1

Big 12: - 11