Arkansas - 4
Missouri - 4
Vanderbilt - 3
Ole Miss - 1

WCC:
Gonzaga - 9
St. Mary's - 2
BYU - 1
With the amount of talent Texas recruits it’s crazy they aren’t better. Shaka Smart just sucks I guess.

With the amount of talent Texas recruits it’s crazy they aren’t better. Shaka Smart just sucks I guess.

Im surprised Texas didn’t look towards a proven veteran coach. The program will largely recruit itself, they don’t need an elite recruiter to win, they need a veteran coach who’s been around the block

Reactions: MGC_07
Top 100 recruits - Last 5 seasons
By Team:

A10:
St. Louis - 2
VCU - 2
UMass - 2
Rhode Island - 1
Davidson - 1

AAC:
Memphis - 5
Cincinnati - 2
Houston - 1
USF - 1

ACC:
Duke - 26
North Carolina - 15
Virginia - 9
Louisville - 8
Miami FL - 8
Florida State - 7
NC State - 7
Syracuse - 6
Notre Dame - 6
Virginia Tech - 4
Wake Forest - 3
Clemson - 2
Pittsburgh - 2
Georgia Tech - 1
Boston College - 1

Big 12:
Texas - 15
Kansas - 12
Texas Tech - 6
Baylor - 5
West Virginia - 4
Oklahoma State - 3
Iowa State - 3
TCU - 3
Oklahoma - 3

Big East:
Villanova - 10
UConn - 7
Marquette - 7
Xavier - 5
Providence - 5
Georgetown - 3
Creighton - 3
St. John's - 2
Seton Hall - 2
DePaul - 1
Butler - 1

Big Ten:
Michigan State - 11
Maryland - 9
Indiana - 8
Michigan - 7
Ohio State - 7
Illinois - 5
Minnesota - 4
Purdue - 3
Iowa - 3
Wisconsin - 2
Penn State - 2
Rutgers - 1
Northwestern - 1

CUSA:
Western Kentucky - 4

Ivy:
Harvard - 2
Princeton - 1

MVC:
Northern Iowa - 1

MWC:
UNLV - 2
Nevada - 1

PAC 12:
Arizona - 17
Oregon - 15
UCLA - 13
USC - 9
Arizona State - 8
Washington - 6
Stanford - 6
Oregon State - 2
Colorado - 1
California - 1
Utah - 1

Patriot:
Loyola - 1

SEC:
Kentucky - 28
LSU - 9
Mississippi State - 9
Florida - 8
Auburn - 8
Georgia - 7
Alabama - 7
Texas A&M - 5
Tennessee - 4
Arkansas - 4
Missouri - 4
Vanderbilt - 3
Ole Miss - 1

WCC:
Gonzaga - 9
St. Mary's - 2
BYU - 1

Texas, Arizona, Miss State, UGA, NC State, Bama, and UCLA with some massive underachieving going on.

I’m guessing that transfers aren’t included. I know that would be a pain in the ass, but it’s a pretty big piece of the puzzle. Some of KU’s best players in that span were top 100 transfers. Lawson, Newman, etc.

Then you also have a lot of players transferring out within a short period of time, further muddying the picture.

Reactions: duckboy33
They don’t even have an NCAAT win in those 5 years, do they? 15 top 100 kids and more losing seasons than Tourney wins?! RollLaugh

Wait for sheriff to tell us he’s a great coach.
Shaka sucks shit through a straw. He comes across as a very genuine, intelligent, and honorable person. He really would have been a great politician, might still go that route. Texas people love him behind the scenes, off the court. His wife is very well liked as well.

His buyout was just too high, even for Texas. If it wasn't for that buy out, he would have been fired after last season (2019,nit Champs).

He's also had some really bad luck with injuries /medical issues.

I’m guessing that transfers aren’t included. I know that would be a pain in the ass, but it’s a pretty big piece of the puzzle. Some of KU’s best players in that span were top 100 transfers. Lawson, Newman, etc.

Then you also have a lot of players transferring out within a short period of time, further muddying the picture.

That’s true. Transfers are a big part of college hoops now and it’s not reflecting in those numbers

Shaka sucks shit through a straw. He comes across as a very genuine, intelligent, and honorable person. He really would have been a great politician, might still go that route. Texas people love him behind the scenes, off the court. His wife is very well liked as well.

His buyout was just too high, even for Texas. If it wasn't for that buy out, he would have been fired after last season (2019,nit Champs).

????
Untrue. That buyout didn't mean much.
They had the money because of the new arena if need be. The basketball program has an influx of cash.

The reason Shaka wasn't fired was because of the recruitment of Greg Brown and the belief that Shaka can build a program.

When CDC tweeted we are Goliath and not David he was pretty much talking about the two basketball programs.
One he made a decision on and another he didn't because Shaka convinced him he knew what he was doing and could win NC.

Shaka had this idea that Texas was going to come in as double digit seed and knock off the Giants because he the team prepared. Don't know without a Tournament.
Next year..
Has to beat Gonzaga. Pretty much that will be his Waterloo to start the season.

If we have a full athletic year you will see why.
Texas is in position to finish Top 10 in the Big 3 mens sports and the Big 3 women's sports and compete at a high level in the rest.

Last edited:

He seems to be smart and well-spoken, but that doesn’t automatically translate to being a quality basketball teacher or a good motivator.

If you look at the the top coaches throughout history, there isn’t necessarily a correlation with being a brainiac.

I’m sure everybody’s had that teacher who was extremely knowledgeable but not very effective.

Reactions: GE Nole
We will find out.
His story hasn't been finished.

There is a hunger and violence to Greg Brown's game I think could add a lot of energy to the team.
Plus you have Kai Jones.

He obviously can sell his plan to the people at Texas. Can it be actually constructed.

If we had a NCAA Tournament and Texas played well this conversation would be different.
Baylor only made it to the Round of 32 in 2019. I think some saw them 10-15 but no one saw them as a Top 5 all year.

Shaka is a fighter. His teams are fighters.
You saw that team become him and more importantly you saw that team represent Andrew Jones.
You saw it with how Jones played when Texas needed wins.

For whatever reason Shaka thought that team needed to be on the ropes all year.
We will see if it worked.

Maybe not tasting any success will make them hungrier because everyone is counting them out
Hopefully they predict them to finish 7th or 8th in the Big 12.

We will find out.

There is a hunger and violence to Greg Brown's game I think could add a lot of energy to the team.
Plus you have Kai Jones.

He obviously can sell his plan to the people at Texas. Can it be actually constructed.

If we had a NCAA Tournament and Texas played well this conversation would be different.
Baylor only made it to the Round of 32 in 2019. I think some saw them 10-15 but no one saw them as a Top 5 all year.

You saw that team become him and more importantly you saw that team represent Andrew Jones.

Maybe not tasting any success will make them hungrier because everyone is counting them out

I don’t think everyone is counting them out. In fact, I’d bet they’ll get some hype before the season. But even if they have a good year, it doesn’t mean that he’s the answer. Anyone will eventually have a solid year when consistently recruiting well. That doesn’t mean that he’s built something that will last.

Maybe he will. But I think it’s kind of silly to act like they had a great shot to do real damage in the tourney. Their last game was a blowout loss to a bad Oklahoma St team. At home, no less. A few weeks before this, they lost to a terrible Iowa St team by 30. A few wins over decent-but-struggling teams isn’t necessarily a turnaround, especially when they finish with a dud.

As for being fighters, they sure didn’t look like it in the 50 point loss to WV and a few others. I’m pretty sure you even said at the time that they quit on him.

He seems to be smart and well-spoken, but that doesn’t automatically translate to being a quality basketball teacher or a good motivator.

If you look at the the top coaches throughout history, there isn’t necessarily a correlation with being a brainiac.

I’m sure everybody’s had that teacher who was extremely knowledgeable but not very effective.

Shaka and Mike White seem very similar to me. Both are clearly intelligent, passionate, and thoughtful guys. Both can recruit very well. Neither seems to have a clue about establishing a culture and running an effective team at the high major level.

Reactions: KisteK
We will find out.

Plus you have Kai Jones.

Damn dude. You are so far off base on these.

“Thought his team needed to be on the ropes all year.” Hahahahahahaha. Yeah that’s what it was. Shaka wanted his team to lose their last game, at home, by 20 points to an average Okie State team just so he could “keep them on the ropes.”

If that really were true, he’s a worse coach than any of us think.

You keep talking NCAAT like it was a sure thing. The reality is, Texas was maybe 50/50 to even make the Dance. In fact, on Bracket Matrix they weren’t in the majority of the 97 brackets tracked.

Go out and lose in the first or second round of the Big 12 Tourney—like he’s done every single year at Texas—and the Horns would have had the chance to defend their NIT title.

What this really speaks to me is that the pc 12 has absolutely horrific x and o coaches, only plus one in that league is Turgeon.

Damn dude. You are so far off base on these.

“Thought his team needed to be on the ropes all year.” Hahahahahahaha. Yeah that’s what it was. Shaka wanted his team to lose their last game, at home, by 20 points to an average Okie State team just so he could “keep them on the ropes.”

If that really were true, he’s a worse coach than any of us think.

You keep talking NCAAT like it was a sure thing. The reality is, Texas was maybe 50/50 to even make the Dance. In fact, on Bracket Matrix they weren’t in the majority of the 97 brackets tracked.

Go out and lose in the first or second round of the Big 12 Tourney—like he’s done every single year at Texas—and the Horns would have had the chance to defend their NIT title.

Telling you what is going on.

If you don't want to accept it that is your choice.
Shaka was able to keep his job because people still believe he can win a NC.

You were probably someone who wanted to get rid of Leonard Hamilton because he sucked for 10 years at Florida State according to the reasoning I see on this message board.

Last edited:
I don’t think everyone is counting them out. In fact, I’d bet they’ll get some hype before the season. But even if they have a good year, it doesn’t mean that he’s the answer. Anyone will eventually have a solid year when consistently recruiting well. That doesn’t mean that he’s built something that will last.

Maybe he will. But I think it’s kind of silly to act like they had a great shot to do real damage in the tourney. Their last game was a blowout loss to a bad Oklahoma St team. At home, no less. A few weeks before this, they lost to a terrible Iowa St team by 30. A few wins over decent-but-struggling teams isn’t necessarily a turnaround, especially when they finish with a dud.

As for being fighters, they sure didn’t look like it in the 50 point loss to WV and a few others. I’m pretty sure you even said at the time that they quit on him.

Who said they did?
Just saying what is going on with Shaka.

He didn't have a chance to prove it last year.
We really have no idea where any program was at last year.

Doesn't matter to me anyway. The guy either proves it or he gets replaced.
Not that hard.

Telling you what is going on.

If you don't want to accept it that is your choice.
Shaka was able to keep his job because people still believe he can win a NC.

You were probably someone who wanted to get rid of Leonard Hamilton because he sucked for 10 years at Florida State according to the reasoning I see on this message board.

In what world does a coach want to lose games by 20, 30, 50 points? Are you serious with this crap? No coach wants to lose 14 games and not make the Dance.

And somehow you’re even more off base on my past support of Hamilton. I’ve been on this board for over a decade. Long timers will tell you that there was a time where other FSU fans would say Hamilton sucked and I would point out how remarkably wrong they were.

But here’s the difference. Hamilton didn’t take over a program that was already going to NCAATs. The opposite, he took over a program that hadn’t had a winning season half a decade and hadn’t finished above .500 in the ACC in a decade. And in short order he was winning 20 games and finishing above .500 in the ACC.

It was very obvious that the man could coach. Moreover, FSU didn’t have the resources or ability to attract anyone better. So removing Hamilton would have been a terrible decision.

Also, you say “FSU sucked for 10 years under Hamilton.” You may want to check again. FSU made 4 NCAATs, a Sweet 16, and won an ACC Championship in his first 10 years.

In what world does a coach want to lose games by 20, 30, 50 points? Are you serious with this crap? No coach wants to lose 14 games and not make the Dance.

And somehow you’re even more off base on my past support of Hamilton. I’ve been on this board for over a decade. Long timers will tell you that there was a time where other FSU fans would say Hamilton sucked and I would point out how remarkably wrong they were.

But here’s the difference. Hamilton didn’t take over a program that was already going to NCAATs. The opposite, he took over a program that hadn’t had a winning season half a decade and hadn’t finished above .500 in the ACC in a decade. And in short order he was winning 20 games and finishing above .500 in the ACC.

It was very obvious that the man could coach. Moreover, FSU didn’t have the resources or ability to attract anyone better. So removing Hamilton would have been a terrible decision.

Also, you say “FSU sucked for 10 years under Hamilton.” You may want to check again. FSU made 4 NCAATs, a Sweet 16, and won an ACC Championship in his first 10 years.

Coaches want to win a National Championship

Not every coach has to the same path to that goal

Did you read what I wrote. If people didn't believe Shaka could win a NC at Texas he would have been gone.

Listen to what I write and it will answer all questions...

Shaka convinced the people he needed that he is the right guy.
Back to him being a fighter. Shaka showed how much he wanted the job. He has a understanding what the expectations entail and what happens if he falls short.

Did you read what I wrote. If people didn't believe Shaka could win a NC at Texas he would have been gone.

Back to him being a fighter. Shaka showed how much he wanted the job. He has a understanding what the expectations entail and what happens if he falls short.

Lots of salesmen convince people to buy their bull. Doesn’t mean the product is actually good.

Shaka is an intelligent and passionate guy. I’m not surprised he can sell a story. But the evidence is clear—the dude isn’t a good high major coach. He probably wasn’t even gonna make the NCAAT this year, despite plenty of talent.

Reactions: MileHighSpartan
I actually like Shaka but He’s a young coach and often loses chess matches with some really good coaches in the conference. He will learn from it and be a better coach because of it. The question is whether texas wants to wait that out or not

Lots of salesmen convince people to buy their bull. Doesn’t mean the product is actually good.

Shaka is an intelligent and passionate guy. I’m not surprised he can sell a story. But the evidence is clear—the dude isn’t a good high major coach. He probably wasn’t even gonna make the NCAAT this year, despite plenty of talent.

Coaches don't luck into Final 4's

Regarding the NCAA Tournament. They were pretty much playing a play in game before the play in game vs Texas Tech.

I already explained to you why the decision was made.
End of story.

If it was Shaka being a salesmen...
That's a start. Going to hit if you swing enough times

????
Untrue. That buyout didn't mean much.
They had the money because of the new arena if need be. The basketball program has an influx of cash.

The reason Shaka wasn't fired was because of the recruitment of Greg Brown and the belief that Shaka can build a program.

When CDC tweeted we are Goliath and not David he was pretty much talking about the two basketball programs.
One he made a decision on and another he didn't because Shaka convinced him he knew what he was doing and could win NC.

Shaka had this idea that Texas was going to come in as double digit seed and knock off the Giants because he the team prepared. Don't know without a Tournament.
Next year..
Has to beat Gonzaga. Pretty much that will be his Waterloo to start the season.

If we have a full athletic year you will see why.
Texas is in position to finish Top 10 in the Big 3 mens sports and the Big 3 women's sports and compete at a high level in the rest.
Dude, if he didn't have a buyout, he'd be gone. That's from a source as high as you can get without getting to CDC himself.

Dude, if he didn't have a buyout, he'd be gone. That's from a source as high as you can get without getting to CDC himself.

Your source is giving you incorrect information.
The basketball program received a bunch of money because of the new arena. The naming rights agreement included money to both the men's and women's basketball programs for a few things.

One of the things they did was fire the women's coach and make Vic Schaefer one of the highest paid women's coaches in the game
Shaka for whatever reason gave people more faith that he can win at a high level

So whoever you are getting your info from is full of shit
Probably listening to aggy.

There are a few names included on the list if things go bad
If Shaka is fired they are going for a home run hire.

Up to Shaka this year

No one thinks shaka can win the championship. Not only do you have to be incredibly good, you have to be incredibly lucky. Shaka is neither.

It takes a special kind of stupid to believe that shaka is a championship level coach.

It also takes a special kind of stupid to believe a coach wants to be on the wrong side of the bubble 4 years into his tenure.

I'm saying you are definitely special.

No one thinks shaka can win the championship. Not only do you have to be incredibly good, you have to be incredibly lucky. Shaka is neither.

It takes a special kind of stupid to believe that shaka is a championship level coach.

It also takes a special kind of stupid to believe a coach wants to be on the wrong side of the bubble 4 years into his tenure.

I'm saying you are definitely special.

You are emotional about the entire thing.

If people at Texas didn't think Shaka could win a NC he would have been fired.

Shaka is going to have one year with his team at a peak to prove he can coach.
That is it

If he fails he is gone.
He deserved this chance.

Regarding his previous teams..
First two years he was rebuilding the program
The third year he lost Andrew Jones and had to kick a few players out of his program

He has been on a three year plan...
We didn't get to see where 2020 is at
We should see where 2021 is

Your source is giving you incorrect information.
The basketball program received a bunch of money because of the new arena. The naming rights agreement included money to both the men's and women's basketball programs for a few things.

One of the things they did was fire the women's coach and make Vic Schaefer one of the highest paid women's coaches in the game
Shaka for whatever reason gave people more faith that he can win at a high level

So whoever you are getting your info from is full of shit
Probably listening to aggy.

There are a few names included on the list if things go bad
If Shaka is fired they are going for a home run hire.

Up to Shaka this year
Texas did not fire the women's coach. You simply don't know what your talking about, as usual.

Texas didn't want to spend 15+mm to buy out shaka and beard. There isn't enough give a shit amongst the big money guys for BB to cover that. Plus CDC is trying to be smarter with Texas' spending. The athletic department has way too much bloat.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
Texas did not fire the women's coach. You simply don't know what your talking about, as usual.

Texas didn't want to spend 15+mm to buy out shaka and beard. There isn't enough give a shit amongst the big money guys for BB to cover that. Plus CDC is trying to be smarter with Texas' spending. The athletic department has way too much bloat.

Who said anything about Chris Beard?

You are out of the loop. He isn't even a Top 5 choice.

Their team was as bad as Shaka's last year.
That is a lateral move

That won't really be paying for a coach.
More the Moody Foundation.

The deal for naming rights included money to the basketball programs

Last edited:
Last post for me, I'm pissing into the wind and this point.

Shakas best team was the one he inherited from Barnes...no rebuild required. He badly mismanaged his roster after that.

Even if he did need to rebuild, basketball isn't like football where you need 3-4 years. A good coach gets it done within 2 years, or at least has things headed in the right direction. Shaka has been going in reverse, or at best stuck in neutral.

No one at Texas believes shaka is on the cusp of winning the championship, or is that caliber coach. He'll finish out his contract and not get renewed, or the ad might decide to make a splash hire before they open the new arena.

His roster is so stacked, even he can't **** it up and not get into the tourney, and probably the second weekend, which will buy him one more year.

Reactions: GE Nole
Last post for me, I'm pissing into the wind and this point.

Shakas best team was the one he inherited from Barnes...no rebuild required. He badly mismanaged his roster after that.

Even if he did need to rebuild, basketball isn't like football where you need 3-4 years. A good coach gets it done within 2 years, or at least has things headed in the right direction. Shaka has been going in reverse, or at best stuck in neutral.

No one at Texas believes shaka is on the cusp of winning the championship, or is that caliber coach. He'll finish out his contract and not get renewed, or the ad might decide to make a splash hire before they open the new arena.

His roster is so stacked, even he can't **** it up and not get into the tourney, and probably the second weekend, which will buy him one more year.

You are emotional about it...

Who said Shaka is on the cusp of winning a NC?

That isn't the point. Shaka gets one year to prove what he can do it with a team on a peak.

That's all.

If it is proven that Shaka cannot win when he has a team full of upperclassmen than they will find someone who can.

Is it Mark Few, John Beilein or Chris Beard..

Maybe it will be Shaka.

Top 100 recruits - Last 5 seasons
By Team:

A10:
St. Louis - 2
VCU - 2
UMass - 2
Rhode Island - 1
Davidson - 1

AAC:
Memphis - 5
Cincinnati - 2
Houston - 1
USF - 1

ACC:
Duke - 26
North Carolina - 15
Virginia - 9
Louisville - 8
Miami FL - 8
Florida State - 7
NC State - 7
Syracuse - 6
Notre Dame - 6
Virginia Tech - 4
Wake Forest - 3
Clemson - 2
Pittsburgh - 2
Georgia Tech - 1
Boston College - 1

Big 12:
Texas - 15
Kansas - 12
Texas Tech - 6
Baylor - 5
West Virginia - 4
Oklahoma State - 3
Iowa State - 3
TCU - 3
Oklahoma - 3

Big East:
Villanova - 10
UConn - 7
Marquette - 7
Xavier - 5
Providence - 5
Georgetown - 3
Creighton - 3
St. John's - 2
Seton Hall - 2
DePaul - 1
Butler - 1

Big Ten:
Michigan State - 11
Maryland - 9
Indiana - 8
Michigan - 7
Ohio State - 7
Illinois - 5
Minnesota - 4
Purdue - 3
Iowa - 3
Wisconsin - 2
Penn State - 2
Rutgers - 1
Northwestern - 1

CUSA:
Western Kentucky - 4

Ivy:
Harvard - 2
Princeton - 1

MVC:
Northern Iowa - 1

MWC:
UNLV - 2
Nevada - 1

PAC 12:
Arizona - 17
Oregon - 15
UCLA - 13
USC - 9
Arizona State - 8
Washington - 6
Stanford - 6
Oregon State - 2
Colorado - 1
California - 1
Utah - 1

Patriot:
Loyola - 1

SEC:
Kentucky - 28
LSU - 9
Mississippi State - 9
Florida - 8
Auburn - 8
Georgia - 7
Alabama - 7
Texas A&M - 5
Tennessee - 4
Arkansas - 4
Missouri - 4
Vanderbilt - 3
Ole Miss - 1

WCC:
Gonzaga - 9
St. Mary's - 2
BYU - 1

Thanks for doing this.

Who needs Final Fours when you can have the most top 100 recruits the last 5 years?

You are emotional about the entire thing.

If people at Texas didn't think Shaka could win a NC he would have been fired.

Shaka is going to have one year with his team at a peak to prove he can coach.
That is it

If he fails he is gone.
He deserved this chance.

Regarding his previous teams..
First two years he was rebuilding the program
The third year he lost Andrew Jones and had to kick a few players out of his program

He has been on a three year plan...
We didn't get to see where 2020 is at
We should see where 2021 is

Didn’t get to see 2020? Haha. Yes we did. Texas was not a top 50 team in 2020. On the wrong side of the bubble needing to win at least two games in the Big 12 tourney, with a blowout loss at home to Okie State to end the season. We saw exactly what Texas was in 2020.

Didn’t get to see 2020? Haha. Yes we did. Texas was not a top 50 team in 2020. On the wrong side of the bubble needing to win at least two games in the Big 12 tourney, with a blowout loss at home to Okie State to end the season. We saw exactly what Texas was in 2020.

Texas was at 19 wins.
They weren't going to leave a 20 win Power Conference team out
Texas was playing Texas Tech as a play in game pretty much.

Texas pretty much was the better team at that point.

Regular season basketball..
Isn't important. Isn't football

Texas was at 19 wins.
They weren't going to leave a 20 win team out
Texas was playing Texas Tech as a play in game pretty much.

20 win teams get left out all the time. NC State had 22 wins in 2019 and was left out, despite a top 35 NET.

Texas was roundly considered to be on the outside looking in. Having a NET score of 70 will do that for a team.

Reactions: duckboy33
20 win teams get left out all the time. NC State had 22 wins in 2019 and was left out, despite a top 35 NET.

Texas was roundly considered to be on the outside looking in. Having a NET score of 70 will do that for a team.

Not in the Big 12
You win 20 games and are at least 500 in conference play you are getting in.

This was the bar Texas had to get to. Needed one win in the conference tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT