ADVERTISEMENT

Top 10 coaching jobs in all of college basketball

You don't surpass UCLA by stringing together two good seasons in a row

Like I said. Oregon has been hit and miss. This was even before Altman.

Washington put together 4-5 great seasons in a row under Lorenzo Romar but they couldn't keep it together long enough to present a challenge.

Last time Oregon was ranked for three consecutive seasons was 1974-77
Let alone ranked in the Top 10 for three consecutive seasons

You don't surpass UCLA by stringing together two good seasons in a row

Like I said. Oregon has been hit and miss. This was even before Altman.

Washington put together 4-5 great seasons in a row under Lorenzo Romar but they couldn't keep it together long enough to present a challenge.

Last time Oregon was ranked for three consecutive seasons was 1974-77
Let alone ranked in the Top 10 for three consecutive seasons

I'm not going to keep going back and forth and changing the criteria. Obviously if you go back further and further, UCLA looks better and better, we've established that.

At one point I thought we were having a conversation, now I realize you are just trolling. It's a shame, I enjoy talking hoops more than football.

I might have believed you weren't trolling but you had to mention Lorenzo Romar's 5 "great" teams. Romar never had a great team. Never coached a 30 win team, never coached a team that made it passed the sweet 16. That made it a little too obvious and gave it away.

I'm not going to keep going back and forth and changing the criteria. Obviously if you go back further and further, UCLA looks better and better, we've established that.

At one point I thought we were having a conversation, now I realize you are just trolling. It's a shame, I enjoy talking hoops more than football.

I might have believed you weren't trolling but you had to mention Lorenzo Romar's 5 "great" teams. Romar never had a great team. Never coached a 30 win team, never coached a team that made it passed the sweet 16. That made it a little too obvious and gave it away.

You tend to attempt to put false information on this message board.

Like UCLA only went to one Sweet 16 under Alford

Washington from about 2004-2010 was challenging in the PAC under Romar.
But he didn't do it consistently enough.

As an Oregon fan you are attempting to tell yourself that you surpassed UCLA...

I get it ..Has nothing to do with trolling.

You have a biased opinion that I don't have because I am not a fan of any of the teams.

But like I said. Oregon has to be consistent. They haven't been consistent enough. They are hit and miss

Just like if another elite player like Kevin Love comes out of Portland. UCLA or even Arizona would grab them.

You have a biased opinion that I don't have because I am not a fan of any of the teams.

But like I said. Oregon has to be consistent. They haven't been consistent enough. They are hit and miss

Just like if another elite player like Kevin Love comes out of Portland. UCLA or even Arizona would grab them.

I was wrong about the UCLA number and I corrected it. But the UW comment proved you were trolling. They never had a "great" team.

As for the Kevin Love comment, this shows you haven't kept up with the times. There's a 5 star player out of Oregon this year and he's already committed to the Ducks over Arizona and UCLA.

Didn’t you say that UCLA is your second favorite team?

Reactions: duckboy33
Exactly what "challenges" do Purdue coaches face?

What has winning 10 of 11 vs IU gotten you? See that is the difference in the expectations...We don't rest our laurels on beating Purdue....Want to, yes...But it ain't the pinnacle.

BTW, Purdue could be a Top 10 job. Or very close. Good tradition...facilities.....location. There isn't many jobs that are better.

Borden, you know you and I get along fairly well for rivals but Purdue certainly has challenges. Not being the state school, being in West Lafayette, and lack of F4/NC are some of the big ones. I find it extremely unlikely that Purdue would ever be close to a top 10 job. I think they’d be hard-pressed to even be a top 5 job in their own conference (I’d put them behind IU, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, and probably even Wisconsin and Illinois). The only chance Purdue has to move up a rung is with final four runs which would help to bring in some of the recruits we haven’t been able to land before. Painter has had a handful of teams that were good enough to make that kind of run but they’ve either been hit with untimely injuries (Hummel’s ACL twice and Haas breaking his elbow) or losing on one of the flukiest/luckiest plays you’ll ever see like what happened against UVA. I know I’m biased but I think Purdue basketball historically has overachieved (13th all time in wins and 24th in terms of winning percentage)with respect to other programs with similar advantages/disadvantages. The main thing missing are deep tournament runs. Painter is a hell of a coach and if he can finally break through and get a final four under his belt, I’d be curious to see what the future would look like. Having his probably 6th most talented team at Purdue mere seconds away from one gives me hope but we’ll see.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
So I grew up a UCLA BB fan. First game of BB I ever saw was UCLA-Houston in the dome. TV. Was fascinated by the team with the giant at center. My team lost that day. They rarely lost again. I lived in Jacksonville Fl and was about the only one in the entire city cheering as Wooden and his team, with no starter over 6-8, dismantled the Jax Giant Twin Towers. The coaches could have traded teams and Wooden would have won with the JU roster. Not a doubt in my mind. JU averaged over 100 Pts/game that year. Wooden held them to 69 and had a huge rebounding edge!

Would like to add a major point to John Wooden recruiting vs UCLA current day recruiting. Wooden could go anywhere in the country and get top players. Kareem, Hazzard, Bibby, Tommy Curtis-Tall. FL...etc.
Today they cannot.

So I grew up a UCLA BB fan. First game of BB I ever saw was UCLA-Houston in the dome. TV. Was fascinated by the team with the giant at center. My team lost that day. They rarely lost again. I lived in Jacksonville Fl and was about the only one in the entire city cheering as Wooden and his team, with no starter over 6-8, dismantled the Jax Giant Twin Towers. The coaches could have traded teams and Wooden would have won with the JU roster. Not a doubt in my mind. JU averaged over 100 Pts/game that year. Wooden held them to 69 and had a huge rebounding edge!

Would like to add a major point to John Wooden recruiting vs UCLA current day recruiting. Wooden could go anywhere in the country and get top players. Kareem, Hazzard, Bibby, Tommy Curtis-Tall. FL...etc.
Today they cannot.
If you can let (the players) them have all the girls that they can dream of and put them up in mansions where they can live like billionaires, you can recruit them.

The only problem is that that is and was against the NCAA rules.

But with Wooden the rules did not apply.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Matters the player...

Here in Houston you have recruits with different people in their ears.
Can say the same for Memphis.

I am familiar with a lot of Texas, Louisiana and the MidSouth.

Matters the recruit.

But it isn't as widespread as Kentucky.
Even with Billy Clyde when I came back to Houston 12 years ago Kentucky didn't have the name it does now

Calipari changed that. Calipari sells the NBA big time.

Regarding where UCLA is at...That name still carries some weight.
But Russ Westbrook isn't enough to sell and they need about 8 of them with Mick Cronin to compete with Calipari and Kentucky.

If you can let (the players) them have all the girls that they can dream of and put them up in mansions where they can live like billionaires, you can recruit them.

The only problem is that that is and was against the NCAA rules.

But with Wooden the rules did not apply.

Lol Bert. I know you’re a Bruin hater. Don’t know what went on at UCLA, UK, UNC, ND, NCST, Indiana, Maryland, KU, etc.. back in the day. I only know the Bruins won 10-12 and without the freshman ineligible rule would have been 11-12.

NCAA rules are as useless today as they ever were. Like the SEC says... if you ain’t cheatin, you ain’t tryin.Laughing

Matters the player...

Here in Houston you have recruits with different people in their ears.
Can say the same for Memphis.

I am familiar with a lot of Texas, Louisiana and the MidSouth.

Matters the recruit.

But it isn't as widespread as Kentucky.
Even with Billy Clyde when I came back to Houston 12 years ago Kentucky didn't have the name it does now

Calipari changed that. Calipari sells the NBA big time.

Regarding where UCLA is at...That name still carries some weight.
But Russ Westbrook isn't enough to sell and they need about 8 of them with Mick Cronin to compete with Calipari and Kentucky.
Great Cronin/Calipari recruiting story.

Lol Bert. I know you’re a Bruin hater. Don’t know what went on at UCLA, UK, UNC, ND, NCST, Indiana, Maryland, KU, etc.. back in the day. I only know the Bruins won 10-12 and without the freshman ineligible rule would have been 11-12.

NCAA rules are as useless today as they ever were. Like the SEC says... if you ain’t cheatin, you ain’t tryin.Laughing

Yea you wouldn’t think a fan of a team that has banners that are bookended with ncaa violations, as well as got caught handing kids Emory envelopes full of cash “back in the day” would be Calling the kettle black.

Yea you wouldn’t think a fan of a team that has banners that are bookended with ncaa violations, as well as got caught handing kids Emory envelopes full of cash “back in the day” would be Calling the kettle black.
Bookended?

Before and after. Might have used the wrong word. Source was the Rupp arena thread though so could be mistaken.

Villian the Emory envelope (single as in one) was not sent by UK. Dwayne Casey established that in court. In fact he got millions of dollars from Emory. So why repeat lies?

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
ADVERTISEMENT