ADVERTISEMENT

Top 10 coaching jobs in all of college basketball

I feel like a lot of the revenue and profits come down to some creative accounting.

Cuse I get, playing in the carrier dome they can fit more people and sell more tickets.

I have no clue how or why Louisville is always at or near the top. The YUM center isn’t huge capacity wise. I guess corporate sponsors and such or all that good ole Adidas money, I really don’t have a clue.
Thought Yum Center seated twenty thousand plus

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
That doesn't change expectations...

Most fanbases don't have a say if a coach stays or goes.
It is the people with money. A lot of people connected with UCLA feel like the program should be elite.

Can be 100,000 or 10,000 of them it doesn't matter just as long as they feel like the basketball program deserves to be elite.
Bro, we ain't talking about "most fan bases". This ain't GaTech, or Pepperdine. And you do realize that boosters, alums, donors, etc, etc...are part of the fan base----right? Ya know, the people with money..

I'm sure those with pockets at UCLA feel they should be elite..No doubt. No doubt they would spend the $$$$....But its not priority. Not at UCLA. At Indiana-----it is. At least in the eyes of the fans.

But the people who have flamed out at Kansas ...
Flamed out quick.
I cannot remember anyone in my lifetime flaming out at Kansas????
75759430f981fd8ef0910e75e1178714.jpg

Reactions: IUfanBorden
California and Vegas have a lot more talent than the state of Indiana
State of Nevada is 43rd in NBA players produced per captia----Indiana is 12th.

This from 2016:

58347cb8ba6eb69a018b5c23

Indiana is 3rd.....Nevada is not 3rd...

Top 40 cities that produce NBA talent....

Indianapolis comes in at #9.....

9. Indianapolis, Indiana
Top five homegrown players:

• Mike Conley (2007)
  • Zach Randolph (2001)
  • Gordon Hayward (2010)
  • Eric Gordon (2008)
  • Jeff Teague (2009)
Other notables:

• Jaren Jackson Jr. (2018)
  • George Hill (2008)
  • Gary Harris (2014)
  • Greg Oden (2007)
  • Courtney Lee (2008)
Nobody does high school basketball like Indiana, and they've got the players to prove it. Oden is obviously the biggest "what if" on the list, with his career being stifled by injuries, but that top five is legit with a couple of nice, young players coming up behind them in Jackson and Harris.

source:

Using Vegas was bad, bro....Now Cali? Of course. But dude, AZ is competing with UCLA, ASU, Oregon, GONZAGA,....Plus about another 200 west coast schools, so it seems. Not to mention, the distance....Bro, at Indiana, this talent is less than an hour from Archie...

C'mon, dude....Do some research...

My list would look similar to Dan's

1) Kentucky
2) North Carolina
3) Kansas
4) Duke
5) Zona
6) Louisville
7) Indiana
8) Nova
9) Oregon
10) Memphis

Reactions: ExitFlagger
Your recruiting area still isn't as good as Arizona's.

So to act like somehow Indiana has this superior recruiting area would be incorrect.
To act like Indiana doesn't have to compete for talent either

Plus you posted birthplace. Not where they come out if HS at.

I included Vegas with California. Could include Phoenix in there as well.

Last year according to 247 composite Nevada had three Top 100 players all from Vegas to go with the 12 from California.
State of Arizona had 6.

21% of the Top 100 in their main recruiting area

Plus Arizona is the school who has done the most internationally.

They brought in all the top Euro players this year

Your recruiting area still isn't as good as Arizona's.

So to act like somehow Indiana has this superior recruiting area would be incorrect.
To act like Indiana doesn't have to compete for talent either

Plus you posted birthplace. Not where they come out if HS at.

I included Vegas with California. Could include Phoenix in there as well.
Indianapolis alone is a hotbed.....then there is Chicago less than 2 hours away....then Ohio...

There are four, Top 40 kids in the class of 2020 within 2 hours of Bloomington----One of them is in Evansville.

In the NBA right now, here are the HS's in Indiana that are represented:

High schools represented: Park Tudor (3), Washington and Pike (2 each), and 1 each for Brownsburg, New Albany, Perry Meridian, Hamilton Southeastern, North Central, Broad Ripple, East Chicago Central, Lawrence Central, Homestead, Tech, Lawrence North and Lake Central.

16 High schools in the state have a player in the NBA....7 of those schools are in Indianapolis.

This for a state that could fit inside Dodger Stadium...

The talent that comes out of the state is crazy, dude...The head coach at Indiana doesn't need to travel 4 hours to LA, or Sacramento----He can get in his car, drive an hour north to Indianapolis, and have his pick...Or a mere two-hour trip to Chicago....Or South bend....Or Evansville....Or a short trip to Ohio----Or DC...

Dude....

Indianapolis alone is a hotbed.....then there is Chicago less than 2 hours away....then Ohio...

There are four, Top 40 kids in the class of 2020 within 2 hours of Bloomington----One of them is in Evansville.

In the NBA right now, here are the HS's in Indiana that are represented:

High schools represented: Park Tudor (3), Washington and Pike (2 each), and 1 each for Brownsburg, New Albany, Perry Meridian, Hamilton Southeastern, North Central, Broad Ripple, East Chicago Central, Lawrence Central, Homestead, Tech, Lawrence North and Lake Central.

16 High schools in the state have a player in the NBA....7 of those schools are in Indianapolis.

This for a state that could fit inside Dodger Stadium...

The talent that comes out of the state is crazy, dude...The head coach at Indiana doesn't need to travel 4 hours to LA, or Sacramento----He can get in his car, drive an hour north to Indianapolis, and have his pick...Or a mere two-hour trip to Chicago....Or South bend....Or Evansville....Or a short trip to Ohio----Or DC...

Dude....

No one is saying Indiana doesn't have talent...

But the main recruiting area of Arizona hasn't changed under Sean Miller. Vegas, Arizona and Southern California
He has brought in the international players as well.

But I left Southern California in 2007. Unless things have changed Arizona had as big of a name as any school there with young basketball players.

Somebody better out Tennessee on their list or Della will stroke the f**k out!o_O

Kansas, Duke, Kentucky and UNC are in their own category. Indiana and UCLA are not comparable. They are very good jobs but they aren’t equal.

Reactions: Villian07
I think what dude is alluding to is that Indiana doesn’t have the recruiting pull in the state of Indiana as AZ does on the west coast.

and if they did, why does AZ out recruit them every year. Nvm we all know the answer to that. $$$

And all those guys u mentioned from Indy in the NBA. Exactly one went to IU, so he kinda has a point. In the state of Indiana you have Louisville, kentucky, Ohio State, purdue, sparty, ND, Michigan all right there in the region, plus a few I’m probably missing. Out west it’s AZ, AZ st, USC, UCLA, zags, and Oregon. Not exactly the same recruiting competition.

Archie seems to be landing more local studs recently however, now he’s just gotta to win with them, and things could change quickly.

Back to your ncaa sanctions bias, you mention Louisville losing recruits, which we did, Bryce Hopkins. But all in all a recruit decomitting isn’t much different than missing out on said recruit in the first place. Much diff scenario when they jump ship on signing day. I’m just not following the “well I’m tempted to move Louisville out of the top ten bc they had a single recruit decommit where as az and Kansas haven’t (although admittedly I have no idea what their respective classes look like). We have 3 guys that look to be four year players, barely in the top 100, and then El Ellis, arguably the best Juco. Def a down class compared to usual but we aren’t just taking boatloads 2-3 stars Just to fill out the roster.

As far as HS players knowing or not knowing that IU used to be a great program, and U responded well they can point to the 5 banners. You think that works for San Fran, pointing to Bill Russels titles and expecting it to resonate with today’s recruits.

You aren't getting it....

Indiana believes that you should win big there and if you can't you aren't a good coach

The difference between Indiana and Arizona is Arizona has been winning.

I can give you the numbers

Indiana since 2000 has finished ranked in the top 10 once
Has only spent 7 of those seasons ranked in the Top 10

Tournament results
1 Final 4
1 Elite 8
4 Sweet 16

Arizona
Finished in the Top 10 seven times
Spent 15 seasons in the Top 10

1 Final 4
6 Elite 8
10 Sweet 16

That is the difference between Indiana and the other schools as of right now.

Indiana has the expectations to be like Kentucky, Kansas, Duke and UNC

But the results haven't been there.

This thread perfectly explains why the IU job gets docked by some when they create these rankings

Why shouldn’t they? They have the money, they have the talent pool, they have the facilities. Mike Davis wasn’t tired, he left and is now coaching at Detroit. The actual good coach we had got busted for phone calls and Tom Crean was too up and down. This is like saying Texas isn’t a top football job.

Kansas, Duke, Kentucky and UNC are in their own category. Indiana and UCLA are not comparable. They are very good jobs but they aren’t equal.

Id agree with that. I don’t know who would say IU is currently in that top tier, Borden I guess? I’d say it sits in that second tier with Louisville, Arizona.

Just a few years ago IU was in the top bracket and Duke was not. Plus IU has more titles and a better program than KU.
It certainly was less than a decade ago. A few bad hires in a row and an administration holding the athletic department back hasn’t helped. It’s still up there but has dropped a few spots sense.

Just curious----Why? Now, eliminate recent success----that is irrelevant to how good a job IS. Tell me what KU, Duke, UNC and UK can offer, that Indiana cannot...

Fanbase?
Tradition?
Money?
Facilities?
Recruiting area?

Maryland vs Virginia is interesting

The man who originally wrote the article had Maryland fifth in the conference but he made note that there are people who would consider Maryland #1.

You see why Mark Turegon has found life so tough.

But would Maryland take a step back since it left the ACC.....
There once was a time Georgetown believed they had the best job because of the Big East. I wouldn't be shocked if you saw the Big East make a comeback especially with UCONN

If you include GTown the debate really becomes interesting.

Highly subjective. The fact that someone has UVa above GTown and Maryland goes to show how much Tony Bennett has changed the job.

Personally I would say Maryland.
Mainly because their presence in the DMV is so huge.
They have an enrollment of 40+K
GTown is 4,523
UVa is 21,985

Just curious----Why? Now, eliminate recent success----that is irrelevant to how good a job IS. Tell me what KU, Duke, UNC and UK can offer, that Indiana cannot...

Fanbase?
Tradition?
Money?
Facilities?
Recruiting area?

If success doesn’t matter, there are probably 25+ programs with great fanbase, money, facilities, and recruiting area. Hell probly 60% of P5 programs.

If recent success doesn’t matter, then why does history or tradition? Recent success is much more important imo.

Reactions: KUhawks34
If success doesn’t matter, there are probably 25+ programs with great fanbase, money, facilities, and recruiting area. Hell probly 60% of P5 programs.

If recent success doesn’t matter, then why does history or tradition? Recent success is much more important imo.
If succes(recent) matters so much, that adds more teams----And teams that have no business being mentioned with schools such as UK, Duke, etc, etc...Teams like Creighton, Wichita State, San Diego St, St. Marys, Butler, etc, etc...Those schools have been quite successful the past 10 years or so---And I am sure there are some I am missing.

I'm sure 60% of P5 programs do have graet fan bases, money, facilities, etc, etc....I just don't think that 60% equals what schools like Duke, UK, IU, UNC, etc, etc....have.

Recent success is overblown....It doesn't make a job---The coach does. NO school is immune to a bad hire. None...UNC with Doherty....UK with BCG. Doherty/BCG didn't lose like they did b/c UNC and UK were bad jobs----they lost like that b/c they suck. I mean did UK become a bad job under Tubby, then with BCG? Combine Tubby's last 4 years, with BCG's 2 years at UK----One Elite 8.....One missed NCAAT. One 1st round loss....And 3 2nd round losses.

Recent success matters----there is some weight. Just not as much as some feel....

Indiana isn't a bad job, or not a great job, b/c they haven't been as good. They've just made realy bad hires. I mean think IF IU would've offered Cal the job? He was interested...MOF, if offered, he would have taken it. But IU wanted a minority hire---So, well, instead Indiana hired KS. Never went after Calipari. They also passed on Belien as well.....Opted to stay with Mike Davis instead.

had IU hired any of those two, this conversation isn't happening...

Brown was at UCLA for two seasons: His runner-up finish in 1980 was vacated. His second season,UCLA lost in the 2nd round.
Howland: Went to 3 straight FF's. Reached one title game. Outside of those 3 seasons, he was very, very meh..Never got past the 2nd round...missed the tourney 3X's
Lavin: BUnch of SW 16's---5 in his 7 seasons. One Elite 8

Harrick is the only coach to win a title not named Wooden, though. 1995. HIs only FF appearance at UCLA...Did go to the ELite 8 once.

Success has been there for other coaches...But it has been very sporadic..

Also, IU spanked their ass in the 1992 Elite 8...SmokinSmile

Well you just proved my point. UCLA had success outside of Wooden. Wooden was a giant. No doubt. And unmatched.

So you dismiss one coach who was runner-up and then 2nd round out. Another who went to 3 final 4’s. Another who went to a “bunch of sweet 16’s”. And we didn’t discuss Bartow. He was riding Wooden’s coattails for sure but by normal standards was successful at UCLA . A runner-up and final 4 off the top of my head. Lately tho they have been a disaster.

If succes(recent) matters so much, that adds more teams----And teams that have no business being mentioned with schools such as UK, Duke, etc, etc...Teams like Creighton, Wichita State, San Diego St, St. Marys, Butler, etc, etc...Those schools have been quite successful the past 10 years or so---And I am sure there are some I am missing.

I'm sure 60% of P5 programs do have graet fan bases, money, facilities, etc, etc....I just don't think that 60% equals what schools like Duke, UK, IU, UNC, etc, etc....have.

Recent success is overblown....It doesn't make a job---The coach does. NO school is immune to a bad hire. None...UNC with Doherty....UK with BCG. Doherty/BCG didn't lose like they did b/c UNC and UK were bad jobs----they lost like that b/c they suck. I mean did UK become a bad job under Tubby, then with BCG? Combine Tubby's last 4 years, with BCG's 2 years at UK----One Elite 8.....One missed NCAAT. One 1st round loss....And 3 2nd round losses.

Recent success matters----there is some weight. Just not as much as some feel....

Indiana isn't a bad job, or not a great job, b/c they haven't been as good. They've just made realy bad hires. I mean think IF IU would've offered Cal the job? He was interested...MOF, if offered, he would have taken it. But IU wanted a minority hire---So, well, instead Indiana hired KS. Never went after Calipari. They also passed on Belien as well.....Opted to stay with Mike Davis instead.

had IU hired any of those two, this conversation isn't happening...

Good post. But at some point programs have to accomplish something to maintain the status that they are at. But definitely very true about not making the right hire doesn’t make a job a bad job.

The problem with the right hire is he has to win quickly.
Calipari came over from Memphis. Had a couple of recruits that followed him but Kentucky's bad era was only a few seasons.
Calipari was able to win quickly at Kentucky

Not because of him but because Kentucky didn't have a 30 year period like Indiana has had.

Like I have said...
I don't think many people around the country view the IU basketball program like him.
Been around basketball in Texas and Southern California for the last 30 years. Not many of these players consider IU a glamour program.
Luckily they have some in state talent and from the neighboring states but is that enough to get IU where the fanbase wants them....

Because the great hires can easily look like bad hires to impatient fanbases who want someone go come in and magically turn around the program.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
8. DePaul: Dude, one word---Chicago. The right dude, i.e.a Calipari like recruiting dude, could/would smash it here. DePaul has some good , decent history. To me, a sleeping giant.
9. St. Johns---See "DePaul".
3 pages and nobody called out this? Holy shit, those are bad takes. Why not Chicago State University or The City College of New York?

There is a remarkably simple test for what makes for a great job in college basketball, and it’s precisely the same test that applies to regular jobs in the real world too: overwhelmingly, is it a job where most hires succeed or is it a job where otherwise seemingly talented people often fail?

If only a small fraction of hires do well, then it’s not a good job. If virtually everybody seems to do well, then it’s the job, not the warm body in it.

One could make a better argument for St. John’s, but DePaul? Jeebus. That’s closer to 8th from the bottom than 8th best. Your argument for including schools like that flies directly in the face of the evidence. None of the elite jobs are in major metropolitan areas, so arguing that being in one makes it a great job is pure nonsense.

Last edited:
3 pages and nobody called out this? Holy shit, those are bad takes. Why not Chicago State University or The City College of New York?

There is a remarkably simple test for what makes for a great job in college basketball, and it’s precisely the same test that applies to regular jobs in the real world too: overwhelmingly, is it a job where most hires succeed or is it a job where otherwise seemingly talented people often fail?

If only a small fraction of hires do well, then it’s not a good job. If virtually everybody seems to do well, then it’s the job, not the warm body in it.

One could make a better argument for St. John’s, but DePaul? Jeebus. That’s closer to 8th from the bottom than 8th best.

Right you are...

Last edited:
The original list was weird because it factored in different things for different schools.

If any success matters it is recent success. Not something from 40-60 years ago.
History only matters if people know about it.

Is Texas football still considered a top job?

Calipari came over from Memphis. Had a couple of recruits that followed him but Kentucky's bad era was only a few seasons.

Not because of him but because Kentucky didn't have a 30 year period like Indiana has had.

Like I have said...
I don't think many people around the country view the IU basketball program like him.
Been around basketball in Texas and Southern California for the last 30 years. Not many of these players consider IU a glamour program.
Luckily they have some in state talent and from the neighboring states but is that enough to get IU where the fanbase wants them....

Because the great hires can easily look like bad hires to impatient fanbases who want someone go come in and magically turn around the program.

Who at IU didn’t get enough time?

Who at IU didn’t get enough time?

Think you have to ask the coaches.

This isn't a question everyone will agree about.

But from what has been said over and over by all the IU fans on here.
A coach should win there because he is being given everything.

Problem is...
Mike Davis truthfully wasn't. I believe he has admitted he may have been too Inexperienced for the job.
But as we all know there was dislike for Davis from Day 1. Even though players have spoken on his behalf and still continue to do so.

Think you have to ask the coaches.

This isn't a question everyone will agree about.

But from what has been said over and over by all the IU fans on here.
A coach should win there because he is being given everything.

Problem is...
Mike Davis truthfully wasn't. I believe he has admitted he may have been too Inexperienced for the job.
But as we all know there was dislike for Davis from Day 1. Even though players have spoken on his behalf and still continue to do so.

Are you the Texas gilligan? Answer the questions that you’re making accusations on. Davis left on his own, he was probably going to be fired but such is the life following a hall of fame coach.

Are you the Texas gilligan? Answer the questions that you’re making accusations on. Davis left on his own, he was probably going to be fired but such is the life following a hall of fame coach.

It is a touchy subject it looks like...

Not trying to run down your program but it is hard to say that a coach should win big there and if he doesn't win big he isn't a good enough coach..
Especially when winning big doesn't happen overnight.

Mike Davis didn't get a fair shake at IU.
Sampson had too many issues he brought to IU from Oklahoma.
Tom Crean had to clean up for Sampson and he finally did take IU to a few Sweet 16s in a Five Year Period but that wasn't enough and was replaced.

We will see with Archie Miller.

But at the end of the day everything that has went on there the last 20+ years is self inflicted IMO.

Truthfully this thread shows a lot of it.
I know some of you don't represent the entire fanbase...

But we go back to the point made...A great coach at IU should win big.

But not everything is that simple IMO.

Villanova is on the list as well.
Jay Wright wasn't winning Big when he first took the Villanova job.

Didn't even take Villanova do a single NCAA Tournament his first three years there
Didn't make a Final 4 until Year 8
Missed the Tournament in 4 of his first 10 seasons

It is a touchy subject it looks like...

Not trying to run down your program but it is hard to say that a coach should win big there and if he doesn't win big he isn't a good enough coach..
Especially when winning big doesn't happen overnight.

Mike Davis didn't get a fair shake at IU.
Sampson had too many issues he brought to IU from Oklahoma.
Tom Crean had to clean up for Sampson and he finally did take IU to a few Sweet 16s in a Five Year Period but that wasn't enough and was replaced.

We will see with Archie Miller.

But at the end of the day everything that has went on there the last 20+ years is self inflicted IMO.

Truthfully this thread shows a lot of it.
I know some of you don't represent the entire fanbase...

But we go back to the point made...A great coach at IU should win big.

But not everything is that simple IMO.

Villanova is on the list as well.
Jay Wright wasn't winning Big when he first took the Villanova job.

Didn't even take Villanova do a single NCAA Tournament his first three years there
Didn't make a Final 4 until Year 8
Missed the Tournament in 4 of his first 10 seasons

No you’re just talking in circles and your posts are scatterbrained. It’s hard to follow.

No you’re just talking in circles and your posts are scatterbrained. It’s hard to follow.

Cliff Notes...

It is your own arrogance doing you in.

You aren't Kansas, UNC, Duke or Kentucky anymore

Not even Michigan State..

Your own fanbase somehow thinks you have a better program than even UCLA

So any coach who enters there is expected to win at that level but cant.

You have some things better than UCLA but without the access to the talent.

Like I have said on here before...
This history people keep bringing you up isn't helping IU or UCLA it is hurting them.

Like I have said...

Sorry but I disagree. Cal won immediately by bringing Memphis number 1 class to him to UK. I doubt it would have matter if Uk had been on a 20 year period of losing. U add 4 first round pick freshmen to any roster and they are gonna improve significantly. ESP when one is number 1 overall in wall and cousins went 5.

ADVERTISEMENT