ADVERTISEMENT

Top 10 best programs right NOW

Tried really hard to think of a Big Ten team I would put in front of them. Considered a few, wouldn't hurt my feelings if someone else did rank them higher.
“Right now,” at least to me, implies three main things:

1) How good was your team this past season? AKA, how good can your fans feel about the season that just wrapped up?
2) How good will your team be this upcoming season? AKA, how good can your fans feel about next year’s team?
3) How good is your current level of recruiting? AKA, can your fans feel confident that the current level of success isn’t on seriously borrowed time?

Using those three, I would argue that Illinois and Michigan can at least make an argument to be ahead of TTU … probably slightly in favor of Michigan.

1) Illini lost in the Second Round to a great Houston team, but they were Big Ten champs. Michigan had a rough regular season, but they once again made the second weekend of the NCAAs. Michigan had a worse regular season but an equal postseason (Sweet Sixteen), while Illinois had a similar regular season (4 seed slightly worse than a 3 seed, but ILL won its conference).

2) Assuming Kofi is back (as is the rumor) and pending another rumored transfer addition for Illinois, both will be projected to be near the top of the Big Ten. Clear edge to Michigan here, as they look primed for a great year, but both are projected above Texas Tech on the lists I just looked up.

3) Both Illinois and Michigan are pretty significantly out-recruiting Texas Tech, with MICH at the #7 class for 2022 and ILL at #8, while TTU is at #28.

Minor side note, but I also think the Big Ten is more “wide open,” possibly making it easier for Illinois and Michigan to continue to get higher seeds, “deserved or not.”

Could have thrown other B1G programs in, but I choose to pick these two just as an example argument. Purdue doesn’t look to be going anywhere, but their fans were likely a bit more disappointed about this past season. Similarly, MSU is looking like they’ll rebound, buy they’re close enough to Izzo’s retirement that maybe that is a lingering thought (meanwhile, Howard and Underwood look to be set there for several years). Wisconsin will be fine, as they always are, but their recruiting is a bit behind their other conference rivals. Etc., etc.

Michigan and Illinois imo maybe wisku or purdue but rhey look to take a step back. Idk what to make of sparty

You think Illinois's a better program than Texas Tech right now?

I think Michigan's the only Big 10 team that's accomplished as much as Tech over the last 5 yrs.

Pretty interesting to me that no one has UVA in their top 10 despite winning a national championship 3 years ago and finishing in the top 2 of the ACC regular season more often than not. Add to that a top 15 recruiting class for 2022 and I think we're top 10 program worthy.
You’re right.

Reactions: jhmossy
1 Gonzaga
2 Nova
3 Kansas(i’m just not a believer that much of anything other than the games de sousa played in being vacated, will happen to them)
4 Duke
5 Baylor
6 Kentucky
7 UNC
8 Auburn
9 Michigan State
10 Arizona

A lot of these programs are just never going to fall very far.

Kansas, Duke, Kentucky and UNC have too much invested in them for any of them to be down long. Good coaches are always going to see them as destination jobs and NIL is just going to make them even stronger going forward.

And the sec titles more than make up the one less elite 8 Along with the final 4. Auburn has a far better 5 years.
You are hung up on 5 years.

Auburn is shit: always has been and probably always will be.

To hell with the last 5 years, Auburn is still shit.

Geeze dude why don't you drop Auburn and root for Indiana.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
You are hung up on 5 years.

Auburn is shit always has been and probably always will be.

To hell with the last 5 years, Auburn is still shit.

Geeze dude why don't you drop Auburn and root for Indiana.
I can understand why Kentucky fans don’t want to talk about now

I don't even like when haters bring up family to other haters families. Desperation at its worse.

I know a bit about some of your families and it would be off character to bring them up. Low brow.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
I don't even like when haters bring up family to other haters families. Desperating at it's worse.
Oh good lord. It was a joke about him getting lucky with his wife later. You are all acting worse than will smith. Chris rock at least took a shot at his wife. I didn’t take a shot at all at Bert’s wife

• Sad
I can't argue for or against these lists posters are posting. I need to see who will be on Tennessee's team and that will be looking about loses to the NBA and the portal two and from.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I don't even like when haters bring up family to other haters families. Desperation at its worse.

I know a bit about some of your families and it would be off character to bring them up. Low brow.
Family should be off limit period. I got upset with @Bert Higginbotha due to something he said about a race and well my recently deceased wife was of that race. I was really sensitive about it. Not so much now, I had to reflect a bit. But I was never upset enough to put you on ignore Bert. We're WildCat family.

A couple of old timers like us, need to stick together to keep these young guys in check lol

Family should be off limit period. I got upset with @Bert Higginbotha due to something he said about a race and well my recently deceased wife was of that race. I was really sensitive about it. Not so much now, I had to reflect a bit. But I was never upset enough to put you on ignore Bert. We're WildCat family.

A couple of old timers like us, need to stick together to keep these young guys in check lol
I have never said one negative thing about any person's wife's race. I am sorry that you felt that way.

But that bastard attacked my family. So fvck him and the horse his Indiana ass rode in on.

I don't give a shit if I get banned. I went a year off this board and lived fine.

Again, I don't even know what race your wife is. Mine is mixed Persian, black, english, scot etc. So why would I insult someone's wife's race? I don't like the southern border being invaded. I assume that is what you are referring to.

If I insulted you, it was not intended and you have my regrets.

I have never said one negative thing about any person's wife's race. I am sorry that you felt that way.

But that bastard attacked my family. So fvck him and the horse his Indiana ass rode in on.

I don't give a shit if I get banned. I went a year off this board and lived fine.

Again, I don't even know what race your wife is. Mine is mixed Persian, black, english, scot etc. So why would I insult someone's wife's race? I don't like the southern border being invaded. I assume that is what you are referring to.

How did I attack your wife? This should be good

• Angry
1 Gonzaga
2 Nova
3 Kansas(i’m just not a believer that much of anything other than the games de sousa played in being vacated, will happen to them)
4 Duke
5 Baylor
6 Kentucky
7 UNC
8 Auburn
9 Michigan State
10 Arizona

A lot of these programs are just never going to fall very far.

Kansas, Duke, Kentucky and UNC have too much invested in them for any of them to be down long. Good coaches are always going to see them as destination jobs and NIL is just going to make them even stronger going forward.
Not bad

He did not attack your family. He made a joke. You call people names more than anyone on this board.

What’s the case for them over Michigan?
Texas Tech since 2018:
90 wins
1 Sweet Sixteen
1 Elite Eight
1 Runner Up

Michigan since 2018:
91 Wins
2 Sweet Sixteens
1 Elite Eight
1 Runner Up

So really no case at all other than I like their coach over Howard. But its close, and like I said, if you took Tech out over Michigan I wouldn't complain.

I know Bert, its all good.

• Love
Wouldn't you just use the recruiting rankings to see what programs 18 year olds are choosing?

If you want to incorporate recent success and the quality of coaching in addition to recruiting and good use of the transfer portal, my list would look like this:

1. Kansas
2. Duke
3. Kentucky
4. Baylor
5. Arkansas
6. Villanova
7. UNC
8. UCLA
9. Houston
10. Michigan

Yeah- HOF Corch Jon Scheyer has coached Duke to a bunch of wins- they would be lost without him.

I'm always skeptical about UNC and their recruiting but they always find recruits ranked #30-100 who start out slow, don't translate to the NBA and end up sticking around their whole college careers and their teams end up being as good as Duke's 5 star loaded freshman squads.

I guess you gotta credit their player development but other good programs have plenty of upperclassmen who end up busting and never really improving. I'm hopeful that regression is coming.

This is example 1A of Duke fans not understanding basketball.

Carolina just ended your HOF coach's career, your team's season and ruined CBBs most hyped regular season game in history, yet you are skeptical about UNC? That's a great take.

It's not that Carolina is as good as Duke, it's that Carolina is better than Duke in every way, shape and form.

Reactions: AWilli6995
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT