This is why Kaepernick kneeled

Discussion in 'College Football Soundoff' started by tooslick4ya, Jun 14, 2019 at 7:30 PM.

1. tooslick4ya

tooslick4ya Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

o_O:eek:

2. DeputyDodge

DeputyDodge Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

3. clad_in_big_orange

clad_in_big_orange Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

4. IrishInOntario

IrishInOntario Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Like every profession with significant membership, police officers are representative of the scope of society. Some are great people, trying to do a great job, some some are scum and the rest fall in between...

Consider the following...

1. A lot of then are not well educated.

2. They are paid poorly, which means you don't always get the best candidates to do a job with a ton of responsibility.

3. The job often attracts a minority percentage of juice monkeys, people bullied as children who want authority and power and alcoholics etc... And departments don't always do anywhere close to a good job of vetting them in terms of personality traits.

4. They have a really friggen stressful job, particularly in a country with 300 million+ guns, meaning that any time they confront someone, there is an enormous chance that person possesses the means to fire back.

I feel for the family in this case.

5. mbd11

mbd11 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

It did seem like those cops were going a little overboard, for the situation. Maybe it was a slow day, and that was their only action for the day - so they made the most of it.:confused:

6. brianoc

brianoc Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Well it was a Barbie

7. KnightNasty

KnightNasty Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Doesn’t look good, but I want more context on this before taking it at face value.

8. BTSBuckeye

BTSBuckeye Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

That's terrible.

The problem with these things is only the negative encounters get traction.

Plenty of cases of cops doing a good job.

Negative news sells ... and people wonder why there's a mental health epidemic. You'd think every day was the last day of Earth by reading the news.

9. CardX

CardX Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Nope! CK hates America. It’s got nothing to do with racism or injustice. Screw him.

J/K. Reasonable people know why he kneeled. Others, for whatever the reason, racism, ignorance, denial, not so much.

10. CardX

CardX Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Idiot cops is not negative news. It’s not great news, but it’s real and needs to be aired.

11. BTSBuckeye

Expand Collapse

And so should the positive encounters.

It gives people context.

12. IrishInOntario

Expand Collapse

One of the things that most annoys me is how little psychological training most cops on the beat have... When I went to basic training (I'm active duty military) they explain to you that entire reason we spend 14 weeks getting yelled at, made to move extremely quickly and efficiently and learn how to operate under extreme pressure, is because it isn't at all natural and the VAST MAJORITY of recruits are terrible at following even the most simple instruction under that kind of menacing pressure on day one....

My fiance, a clinical psychologist (PhD) talks about the same thing all the time...

Yet, police officers like this dude seem to think the best way to get someone to cooperate is to repeatedly scream at the lady who is trying to tell you that her door doesn't open, and threaten to shoot her in the head if she doesn't cooperate...

A basic university level psychology course would go a long way for these guys. Maybe 10% of people are going to be able to function normally and follow your instructions under that kind of duress... They're not trained soldiers. They're civilians.

How many times have we seen people get shot simply because they misunderstand an instruction while being screamed at, with a gun pointed at them?...

Again... Active duty military here. Twice deployed into forward areas. Not sure I wouldn't flinch I that scenario. Of course that lady is going to.

cribbz85, GE Nole, 12Ghost12 and 6 others like this.
  13. CardX

CardX Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Don’t disagree.

LSU02 and BTSBuckeye like this.
  14. barney44

barney44 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Nah, he was just trying to stay relevant..

RedR8der4Life likes this.
  15. Big ol arms

Big ol arms Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

The last time you posted one of these video's off of facebook there was another whole side of the story which had the cops in the right but you couldn't tell it by the video. I'm going to assume the same thing with this one. You need to quit finding your video's off of facebook or whatever who only have an agenda to make cops look bad.

16. blemblam

blemblam Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

That might be one of the best, cover all the bases on the subject posts I have ver read on this board.

Or any board, for that matter.

Not one word in that is untrue.

Simple solution?

Pay them more. Do more psychological testing. Pay them more. Attract higher quality applicants.

17. blemblam

blemblam Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Was it a White or Black Barbie?

18. BawlzDeep

BawlzDeep Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

The new Latin one I wager.

19. BTSBuckeye

Expand Collapse

It was a dollar store. So it was probably a white baby painted black by a 12 year old girl in china that came out looking like Sloth from the Goonies thanks to the extra plastic.

20. midcalhorn

midcalhorn Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

But...pig socks!

21. RealisticUGAfan1191v2.0

RealisticUGAfan1191v2.0 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

22. Highwayman19

Highwayman19 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I thought Kap took a knee cuz his ol lady brainwashed him.

23. Tidaltown

Tidaltown Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Unless she threatened that officer with a weapon, or he had some reason to believe she was armed (doubtful as he never mentions any weapon or any suspicion of a weapon) then this officer's conduct amounts to police brutality. I usually support the police, but this is awful. What man points a gun at an unarmed woman holding a young child in her arms? I cannot believe police officers are trained to act in this manner.

24. Tidaltown

Tidaltown Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

"Shocking footage of a Phoenix police officer telling a 22-year-old man, "I'm gonna put a ****ing cap in your ****ing head" has sparked backlash against a department already reeling from the revelation last week of racist social media posts from officers."

"Now, the man and family in the video — Dravon Ames, his pregnant fiancée, Iesha Harper, and their two young children — have filed a notice of claim against the city of Phoenix. The family is seeking $10 million in damages. Former Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne is representing the family."

--------------------
    --------------------

Apparently the man in the video did shoplift a couple of small items (underwear?), and a little girl left the store with a doll in her hand.

The police admit at no time did they believe the woman, whom they threatened repeatedly with firearms, to be armed. In my opinion, this is what's going to destroy any defense in this lawsuit. No respectable expert in police procedure is going to justify the threats made and pointing a gun at an unarmed woman holding a child.

In my state, this case is worth only 1 to 3 million tops. I'd think, in Arizona, and depending on the jury, it's worth much more, but I would expect the city to settle for a few million to make this story go away.

LeroyOU12 likes this.
  25. CB3UK

CB3UK Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

This.

26. SECalafan

SECalafan Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Why is Opie not answering this?

RedR8der4Life likes this.
  27. CB3UK

CB3UK Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

As it turns out, someone saw them shoplift the Barbie and called the police. Cops tailed them and stopped them. They refused to get out saying the door doesnt open. Cops repeatedly asked them to get out of rhe car and they refused. Which is what lead to the escalated situation.

So in textbook fashion, we see black commit a crime, police do their job, they refuse to cooperate, and it escalates and then all of a sudden they want to collectively cry.

Thats why Kaep kneeled? Its why whites dont give a ****. Get a clue already and learn how to act.

Lets go riot and burn down a city because Mike Brown got shot trying to take an officers gun.

Lets go celebrate because OJ got away with murdering two people.

****ing absurd.

28. aubie06

aubie06 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Wow. And all this time I thought it was because he hated America and the military. :eek:

29. IrishInOntario

Expand Collapse

None of that justifies screaming at a woman that you're going to cap her in the head from point blank range when she hasn't presented any kind of physical threat to you.

I know they have a tough job. A really tough job. But they signed up for it.

29 IrishInOntario, Jun 14, 2019 at 9:44 PM
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019 at 10:00 PM
  30. CB3UK

CB3UK Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Perhaps. But Im not going to get up in arms when they just refuse to exit the car when asked too repeatedly. You dont get to pick and choose when to listen to the cops. You have your day in court.

They were woefully in the wrong, and then these jackasses go overboard. But Im not gonna let it sit here and go unchallenged like the mom is some kind of martyr. Youve got a 4 yr old stealing, another child, and one more on the way and yet you cant afford a car that has doors that all open. What a valuable asset to society.

Anyway, we know how this thread will go. Yall have at it.

31. RealisticUGAfan1191v2.0

RealisticUGAfan1191v2.0 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

All of it would have been avoided had they just listened to the officer asking them to get out of the car. It's like the blatant disregard for following simple orders from the men in blue get completey ignored in these types of stories....

31 RealisticUGAfan1191v2.0, Jun 14, 2019 at 10:07 PM
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2019 at 9:33 AM
  32. Vols4Ever369

Vols4Ever369 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

But what does that have do with the military

33. IrishInOntario

Expand Collapse

I'm not absolving this family of their criminality. Not in the least. I certainly don't condone crime, or ignoring the authority of police.

That said, police are and should be held to a higher standard than the average citizen. They are paid to do their job through tax money and they enter into civil service voluntarily. They have a responsibility to be a voice of law and reason in society. It's an enormous responsibility and not easy task.

They're human. We all **** up. But we need to be accountable to those **** ups.

I used to be a combat medic in the military. Later I commissioned and became an air traffic control officer. I know what it's like to give distinct instructions that people legally MUST follow. That said, in stressful situations pilots make mistakes all the time. A misunderstanding of a vector. A right turn instead of a left turn. Breaching altitude restrictions, the list goes on and on... One wrong move in a busy air space and hundreds of lives could be lost... It's my job to remain as cool, calm and collected as possible to ensure that a human error doesn't ramp into people dying unnecessarily.... it's not easy. It's why air traffic controllers have some of the highest rates of suicide, nervous breakdown, heart attacks and alcoholism among professions... If you make a mistake, people die and you go to jail. Police take on that same burden, in a different way. It's imperative that they be well trained, selected carefully among candidates, vetted psychologically etc. Their ability to act with professionalism and as much as possible, without emotion keeps everyone safer and leads to greater trust between them and the civilians they are sworn to protect and those they are mandated to apprehend.

NotSteveNotNow and 12Ghost12 like this.
  34. Wunder.Noid

Wunder.Noid Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

It's telling that these types of videos fuel your direction of ignorance...

Not casting judgement in any direction but can you agree that there are good people on both sides of this discussion? SmokinSmile

35. IrishInOntario

Expand Collapse

I totally agree. The situation should have been resolved long before that. The family was totally at fault and deserved to be charged...

At what point does any of that stop the police officer from being professional?

It's their responsibility by choice and by pay (through taxpayers) to be professionals. Threatening to shoot somebody in the head, with your weapon drawn, that is not presenting a threat to you, is not being a professional. Whether they are listening or not... Appropriate escalation of force needs to be considered. It's what you train for.

YellowlabOSU likes this.
  36. CB3UK

CB3UK Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I agree, but Im not going to act like them being unprofessional far outweighd and is more egregious than them having a child shoplift and refusing to obey the police's orders after the fact. It simply isn't.

37. VaultHunter

VaultHunter Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Teach your kids not to pick up and carry around things that don't belong to them.

Those are they type of people I wouldn't want in my home because their hellyun kids broke something valuable on "accident"

LeroyOU12 likes this.
  38. IrishInOntario

Expand Collapse

I agree. Again, I don't condone criminality. I'm not suggesting that the police were criminal in their actions... I just think that officer was highly unprofessional.

Those people ought to be charged and get their day in court, per the system of law. A judge or jury will decide their fate... Simultaneously, I think the police officer should be at the very least, suspended without pay and forced to take additional training in force escalation and risk management if he wants to keep his job.

This isn't about picking sides, IMO... It's about 2 wrongs not making a right and there needing to be justifiable and appropriate punishment for both parties.

NotSteveNotNow, 12Ghost12 and LSU02 like this.
  39. Wunder.Noid

Wunder.Noid Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Tell the plebs how to teach said kids against said things...

40. MelbBamaFan

MelbBamaFan MelbBamaFan@hotmail.com
    Expand Collapse

I think a simple “Get the **** out of the car, bitch”, would have been sufficient in a case like this. I met a lot of people like that - just worthless human beings. It can get to you if you let it. The trick is to have no expectations, because you can only be annoyed if you have expectations.

Assuming that it’s all true and there isn’t more to this story, it strikes me as an officer problem but not necessarily a racially motivated encounter unless he used racial slurs or there’s more to the story, such as it’s a Hallie Berry-boyfriend-in-prison-thing and it’s payback of some sort.

At least that would be more interesting than stupid people finding each other.