ADVERTISEMENT

This is How You Handle Classlessness

coryfly

Aug 7, 2007
In contrast to what happened with Michigan and Wisconsin here is how you handle it when a coach doesn't shake your hand and a second one turns his head the other way. Notice the look Hubert gives Carrawell. That dude may take a beating one day but at least Davis didn't make a scene with all the players around.

Oh you mean Hubert is working out to be the exact kind of coach anyone would want?

Nah. Fire his ass.

• Haha
Reactions: Random UK Fan
328.gif

Sucks he's going out on a low note.
Well, his game plan was to have Banchero play isolation ball and shoot it 30 times. Griffin took 5 shots in the meantime. He went out a loser at home the same way he has over the past 6 years by failing to adequately coach the talent he has had. When he was a good coach, players earned their roles. And if they had an off night, he would make adjustments. People are going to look at Banchero's points and say he had a good njght. But even some of the shots he made were terrible shots. He somehow only ended up with 4 turnovers. Probably because a lot of his fumbles landed in the hands of a teammate. But he totally shit the bed, especially when it counted and I put that all on coach K.

These coaches make too much money to be clowns and not show respect for their opponents and the game in general.
Seriously, we're talking about handshakes.

Handshakes to show unarmed blah, I could go on.

Calipari is blowing off handshakes and givng peace signs. From my understanding its a cooties deal.

• Haha
Reactions: cdbearde
Seriously, we're talking about handshakes.
There is no reason in the world for being a poor sport about things. I hate when fans are classless, but coaches make millions and are suppose to be professional.

Edit: I have no problem with Cal's sportsmanship. He has always been gracious in victory or defeat against UT (Barnes).

In contrast to what happened with Michigan and Wisconsin here is how you handle it when a coach doesn't shake your hand and a second one turns his head the other way. Notice the look Hubert gives Carrawell. That dude may take a beating one day but at least Davis didn't make a scene with all the players around.

What a prick.

Was trying to read various stuff about the game and since ESPN hyped it so much thought they would have something. Apparently not really though. Now the narrative is that K didn't want all this attention this year and he announced so he could just focus on coaching without all the adulation but people love him so much they just can't allow it and that last night's game doesn't really matter. I'll give Duke their due. The way they have the media lap up every little thing they do and constantly shift the narrative for them is something I wish UNC would learn from. Hardly any focus from ESPN at all on the actual team that deserves it.

We felt that way about Juwan last year.

i understand but I don’t think anyone would be calling for Juwan to be fired right now if he hadn’t thrown a bitch slap

I don’t think Hubert would ever do something like that. The man doesn’t even cuss

Yeah, that's dumb. When Hansbrough finished his career 4-0 to basically take ownership of that crappy gym the Dukies didn't give him a freakin' trophy. Just nonsense.

So, obviously most people would assume there is some story here.

And sure enough, if you poke around a little, apparently Davis blew off the Duke coaches pre-game, and they were annoyed.

Couple that with the "F you Coach K" chants, and that might be what happened here.

Anyone drawing giant conclusions from a blowby with that sort of backstory... that's a reach.

Anyway, it was a great night. Obviously wish Duke had won, but I was over the loss in about two seconds... the parts that mattered didn't have anything to do with the game. Honestly surprised that so many Duke fans are taking it so hard... its one game out of 1,500. But there is only one last K speech in front of all of his former players at a packed Cameron.

So, obviously most people would assume there is some story here.

And sure enough, if you poke around a little, apparently Davis blew off the Duke coaches pre-game, and they were annoyed.

Couple that with the "F you Coach K" chants, and that might be what happened here.

Anyone drawing giant conclusions from a blowby with that sort of backstory... that's a reach.

Anyway, it was a great night. Obviously wish Duke had won, but I was over the loss in about two seconds... the parts that mattered didn't have anything to do with the game. Honestly surprised that so many Duke fans are taking it so hard... its one game out of 1,500. But there is only one last K speech in front of all of his former players at a packed Cameron.

When you have a coach who acts like a total jackass the appropriate response is just to say they messed up.

Davis did not blow anyone off. He was late getting out there and made a point to find K and congratulate him and shake his hand. There is video of it.

If the Duke coaches are upset that some students chanted F you that is fine but has nothing to do with Davis, who wasn't even aware of it. Also, we can prove that isn't the reason because they had no problem shaking hands after they beat UNC at UNC.

They are sore losers who got their feelings hurt that their smack talking freshman got their crap pushed in on K's last stand and acted like children. I don't think Scheyer probably likes it tbh so he will probably give both the boot.

The real reason is probably because UNC did not honor K, which is dumb. They shouldn't have honored their rival coach at their homecourt. That would be super lame.

They are sore losers who got their feelings hurt that their smack talking freshman got their crap pushed in on K's last stand and acted like children. I don't think Scheyer probably likes it tbh so he will probably give both the boot.

Seems to me you already have a story for what happened, one that A) ignores what several people close to the Duke program have said, B) makes Duke look as bad as possible, and C) seems to ignore precedent.

To each their own.

Hey, btw, @coryfly has there been any talk about Davis just playing those five guys in the second half? That's an incredible move (and one that paid off like CRAZY)... was it something that was discussed at the half... like, "We are going to run with these guys." Or was it decided on the fly? That's just a crazy and ballsy coaching call in one of the biggest moments of the year, almost never done, and no media on the Duke side that I've seen has touched it.

Seems to me you already have a story for what happened, one that A) ignores what several people close to the Duke program have said, B) makes Duke look as bad as possible, and C) seems to ignore precedent.

To each their own.

Justification is always just a way to excuse poor behavior. People close to the Duke program said that they were pissed that UNC did not honor K and also that Hubert didn't shake their hands. Hubert did shake K's hand and this idea that all coaches shake hands BEFORE the game is something exactly zero people have ever even heard of before. I asked someone who was an AC at a small college and asked him about that and he said there is no precedent for everyone shaking hands before the game.

Both of those things are silly. They are ways to try and make them not look as bad for something they probably regret doing.

It would have seem less disingenuous to just say they were pissed and it was dumb. It isn't like this is the first time they have done it. Dawkins did it years ago and K snubbed Roy either last year or the year before with a quick blowby because he was pissed they lost.

Hey, btw, @coryfly has there been any talk about Davis just playing those five guys in the second half? That's an incredible move (and one that paid off like CRAZY)... was it something that was discussed at the half... like, "We are going to run with these guys." Or was it decided on the fly? That's just a crazy and ballsy coaching call in one of the biggest moments of the year, almost never done, and no media on the Duke side that I've seen has touched it.

He does that all the time. He does not like using the bench at all, which is fine I guess but it seems that it will not play well during the ACCT. Maybe he will change it up then though. I think he just doesn't trust them and since he didn't play them much early he just continues to ride the starters heavy minutes. Just a part of the learning process IMO.

He does that all the time. He does not like using the bench at all, which is fine I guess but it seems that it will not play well during the ACCT. Maybe he will change it up then though. I think he just doesn't trust them and since he didn't play them much early he just continues to ride the starters heavy minutes. Just a part of the learning process IMO.

Really?! I had no idea he did this! That's pretty nuts... I don't think I remember a coach doing that? It was ballsy as hell, riding five guys like that, but I have to say, it worked... would think it creates a pretty cool feeling among them.

ADVERTISEMENT