ADVERTISEMENT

Thinking of going into coaching..

Do it. I want to see how much different your opinion on officiating becomes Laughing.

Sounds fun. I'd love to get into officiating/umpiring or coaching.
My opinion on officiating isn't what most of you think. I just try to put things in perspective.
Where do you live? I could certainly help get you involved.
Note: My wife is 50/50 on it. She told me--"Remember when you coached Little League?"....Oh, yeah...I do. Also, r3member when you coached 8th grade basketball?

Yeah, yeah..

Good luck making your decision.

Our head varsity girls coach (I'm an assistant coach) just took an Elementary Principal job in another district so that job is open.

Still not sure if I want to apply for it or not. A lot of politics and outside stuff goes into being a head coach anymore. The coaching part wouldn't be my reservation.......

@IUfanBorden Henderson. Pretty sure I've read you went to USI so I'm sure you know where Henderson is. I know some people that could get me into little league but I'd rather learn and start at the Jr high or high School level. I'd have to get into better shape though.
Very familiar with Henderson. I actually lived for a short while. I went to East Heights, and played against Kenny Butts---One of the best to play at HC.

Got offered two jobs: JV coach for beseball....Frosh coach for hoops.
Giving it some thought.
Not sure how it is in Indiana but JV ball in Ky is a joke.
My son played JV ball 2 years ago as a 7th grader & it was a waste of time.
They play after varsity games only & usually only play 2-3 innings.

Do you not have to be a teacher to coach school sports? That’s how it was when I was growing up in Oklahoma.

Not sure how it is in Indiana but JV ball in Ky is a joke.
My son played JV ball 2 years ago as a 7th grader & it was a waste of time.
They play after varsity games only & usually only play 2-3 innings.
JV baseball is well structured here. They sometimes play JV/V DH's...JV plays firt with 5 innings. But that is maybe 2-3 times. Most JV games are on non-varsity days.

Do you not have to be a teacher to coach school sports? That’s how it was when I was growing up in Oklahoma.
No. But most are. Not to many lay coaches. Most of the coaches I know are also teachers. Some, at smaller schools, are also AD's. I'm not 100% on this. But I do know a few coaches who are not teachers, or on the school staff.

JV baseball is well structured here. They sometimes play JV/V DH's...JV plays firt with 5 innings. But that is maybe 2-3 times. Most JV games are on non-varsity days.
That must be nice. There were many times varsity would go long & our JV team would only get 2 innings in. We never played on days off from varsity.
There’s a lot about Ky high school sports that I don’t agree with. Football is the only sport that does championships by class.
It’s ridiculous that they expect 1-A & 2-A schools to compete with 5-A & 6-A schools for state titles.

Last edited:
Reactions: IUfanBorden
Do it! You can impact so many lives being a coach. I’m currently coaching college football and as we work remotely with Covid-19 I’m heading to New York City to work in the ER on a 8 week contract to help out! Idk what else you do for work but if you can swing it financially I would give it some thought. Idk how long sports will be suspended though

No. But most are. Not to many lay coaches. Most of the coaches I know are also teachers. Some, at smaller schools, are also AD's. I'm not 100% on this. But I do know a few coaches who are not teachers, or on the school staff.

I coached middle school basketball for a bout 4 or 5 years and I loved it. The head coach was a teacher but me the the other guy coaching wasn’t.

Do it! You can impact so many lives being a coach. I’m currently coaching college football and as we work remotely with Covid-19 I’m heading to New York City to work in the ER on a 8 week contract to help out! Idk what else you do for work but if you can swing it financially I would give it some thought. Idk how long sports will be suspended though
I agree. Its weird, though. Kids who I umpired when they were 8-10, year old, remembered me to this day. Crazy. Finance wise it wouldn't be that big if a deal---Well, it wasn't so much until this(COVID). I love umpiring/officiating, though. Just love it. But the travel is getting tiresome. Told the wife that at 50, I was going to quit. I'm 47 now. But, still feel good physically. Its the travel.

I could. But probably won't. I want to stay in officiating.

Do you officiate in Kentucky? I have a couple of friends that do and you may know them. One of them has worked the sweet 16 in Rupp a few times.

Last edited:
Nah, Borden seems like the kind of guy who will be extra careful to keep his mouth shut..........SmokinSmile
I get that sarcasm! Winking He'll get tossed just because he used to be one of them. Plus, they won't need a reason to toss him, because we all know officials aren't held accountable for anything. "I don't like the way you looked at me.... YOU'RE OUTTA HERE!!!" Laughing

I was an assistant assistant coach for a local grade school, aka waterboy for football for a couple seasons. I enjoyed it a lot, but got a job that prevented me from helping.

The coaches were knowledgeable and could tell the kids what to do, but sometimes couldn't "teach" them how to do it. So that's where I came in, plus to get water.

From the 2 years of doing it we had 4 or 5 that went on to play in college and 1 that had a scholarship offer but declined. The one that turned down the scholarship is doing really great in life. The one P5 player is coaching hs now. I think he may end up on a d1 staff someday.

Do you officiate in Kentucky? I have a couple of friends that do and you may know them. One of them has worked the sweet 16 in Rupp a few times.
I do not work in Kentucky. Pay is awful. Plus, they use assigners.

Reactions: Scotty00
If you do, I hope you get thrown out of every game. :D
See, that was my issue first go around. I coached a 13 year old team because there was no one to do so. So I was asked, and accepted. We played 25 games. I bet I got ran 8 times or more. Needless to say, I was not asked again. But, that was 10 years ago. As I've evolved, I doubt I'd be that bad. But, well I cannot handle lazy officials, and or b/s explanations from dudes who don't know the rules. Last year I helped with a buddy of mine 12 year old travel team. Very elite level. We went to a tourney in Indy. I told one of the umpires..." You gotta give a better effort..At least get to where you need to be." He snaps back , " What do you know...? I chuckled and told him, "you don't wanna know the answer. Just call the game.." He them says, and I knew it was coming..." Not another word." Oh, boy. I said.."is that a warning"? He replies.." No. We don't give warnings ". I responded-- Really..Why not? It's not how we do things... Really? So, you make a call I don't like...I respomd, you tell me not another word....But that's not a warming? So, what is it? He's pissed. I know he wants to toss me. So, well, I keep at it. 2 inning later, home plate calls a ball foul, because the bat hits the ball...I Tell him, it's not foul. He tells me...No more. Get this...He then says, " that's your warning." Whoa...hey, your partner says you guys don't do warnings...Which is it? Both are pissed. I'm laughing my ads off. These dudes have no.idea they are arguing with a D1 umpire. I had those dudes so rattled.
Ahhh, that was fun.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
See, that was my issue first go around. I coached a 13 year old team because there was no one to do so. So I was asked, and accepted. We played 25 games. I bet I got ran 8 times or more. Needless to say, I was not asked again. But, that was 10 years ago. As I've evolved, I doubt I'd be that bad. But, well I cannot handle lazy officials, and or b/s explanations from dudes who don't know the rules. Last year I helped with a buddy of mine 12 year old travel team. Very elite level. We went to a tourney in Indy. I told one of the umpires..." You gotta give a better effort..At least get to where you need to be." He snaps back , " What do you know...? I chuckled and told him, "you don't wanna know the answer. Just call the game.." He them says, and I knew it was coming..." Not another word." Oh, boy. I said.."is that a warning"? He replies.." No. We don't give warnings ". I responded-- Really..Why not? It's not how we do things... Really? So, you make a call I don't like...I respomd, you tell me not another word....But that's not a warming? So, what is it? He's pissed. I know he wants to toss me. So, well, I keep at it. 2 inning later, home plate calls a ball foul, because the bat hits the ball...I Tell him, it's not foul. He tells me...No more. Get this...He then says, " that's your warning." Whoa...hey, your partner says you guys don't do warnings...Which is it? Both are pissed. I'm laughing my ads off. These dudes have no.idea they are arguing with a D1 umpire. I had those dudes so rattled.
Ahhh, that was fun.
Well... I mean, in fairness to those refs, it is 12 and 13 year old baseball we are talking about. There is literally nothing a ref is doing that is worth getting upset or arguing over in 12 and 13 year old baseball games.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Well... I mean, in fairness to those refs, it is 12 and 13 year old baseball we are talking about. There is literally nothing a ref is doing that is worth getting upset or arguing over in 12 and 13 year old baseball games.
Sure there is. Being lazy. You are getting paid to.do.a job. Rather I'm working at LSU, or a local LL game, I give the same effort. Most of my issues was effort. I cannot stand laziness. Those kids deserve an umpire, or umpires, to give effort. For them, it's their moment. It's their College WS..In other words, it's important to them. So by God, it should be important to you.

Laughing

could you imagine Borden's long winded ass explaining why you were thrown out?
Naaah...If I run you, you have earned it. No explanation needed. I very seldom run coaches/players. I don't like the paperwork. I bet last year, HS/College combined, I had maybe 6 ejections. You include travel baseball. And it jumps a bit. Those coaches are idiots for the most part.
Same with hoops. Maybe 10 tech's all year.
I'm pretty easy going, TBH.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Sure there is. Being lazy. You are getting paid to.do.a job. Rather I'm working at LSU, or a local LL game, I give the same effort. Most of my issues was effort. I cannot stand laziness. Those kids deserve an umpire, or umpires, to give effort. For them, it's their moment. It's their College WS..In other words, it's important to them. So by God, it should be important to you.
I get your point but you’re comparing yourself to somebody who is just doing it to pick up some extra cash on the weekends. There’s a reason why you work D1 games and this guy is doing children’s baseball leagues. That’s an unflattering look to go pick a fight with him because he’s not doing his job up to your standards. You were asked to be there for help. You weren’t asked to create a scene.

I get your point but you’re comparing yourself to somebody who is just doing it to pick up some extra cash on the weekends. There’s a reason why you work D1 games and this guy is doing children’s baseball leagues. That’s an unflattering look to go pick a fight with him because he’s not doing his job up to your standards. You were asked to be there for help. You weren’t asked to create a scene.
I think you just like arguing. You're making a mountain out of a mole hill. First off, you weren't there. So you have zero idea what happened. Secondly, I don't care if it's LL, OR MLB. You are getting paid to do a job. Doesn't matter if your making $2500 for a game, or $25 dollars. Bottom line, someone is paying you. And look, I don't expect any 'LL or travel ball umpire to be able to umpire at the level I do. That's foolish. But what I do expect is for them to be professional as possible, to hustle and give the game and those kids the effort it deserves. When I see a home plate guy never move from behind the plate, and make a call at third, it infuriates me. I dont care if the call was right, or wrong. What I do care is that he shows some effort. I didn't cause a scene. What caused a scene was this dude being lazy. Had he at least moved 10 feet, I would have never said a word.
You don't have to have the exp/training that I have, to hustle. Being lazy is unacceptable.

I think you just like arguing. You're making a mountain out of a mole hill. First off, you weren't there. So you have zero idea what happened. Secondly, I don't care if it's LL, OR MLB. You are getting paid to do a job. Doesn't matter if your making $2500 for a game, or $25 dollars. Bottom line, someone is paying you. And look, I don't expect any 'LL or travel ball umpire to be able to umpire at the level I do. That's foolish. But what I do expect is for them to be professional as possible, to hustle and give the game and those kids the effort it deserves. When I see a home plate guy never move from behind the plate, and make a call at third, it infuriates me. I dont care if the call was right, or wrong. What I do care is that he shows some effort. I didn't cause a scene. What caused a scene was this dude being lazy. Had he at least moved 10 feet, I would have never said a word.
You don't have to have the exp/training that I have, to hustle. Being lazy is unacceptable.
I do like to entertain on here, that’s no lie.

The way you described it rubbed me the wrong way. You said you were asked to be there. Then you implied you continually inserted yourself into the game because he wasn’t doing his job up to your standards. Then you said you were laughing at him and his colleagues because of how mad you made them. It sure sounded like you were making the game about you. It sounded unflattering and I feel like if it went down like you described then the parents there probably didn’t like what you were doing.

How would you feel if you were working a children’s game and some guy inserted himself into what you were doing because he was a 20+ year MLB veteran? You’d probably be a little pissed at the guy too.

I do like to entertain on here, that’s no lie.

The way you described it rubbed me the wrong way. You said you were asked to be there. Then you implied you continually inserted yourself into the game because he wasn’t doing his job up to your standards. Then you said you were laughing at him and his colleagues because of how mad you made them. It sure sounded like you were making the game about you. It sounded unflattering and I feel like if it went down like you described then the parents there probably didn’t like what you were doing.

How would you feel if you were working a children’s game and some guy inserted himself into what you were doing because he was a 20+ year MLB veteran? You’d probably be a little pissed at the guy too.
Wow. I was asked to help coach. Not be a dugout parent. Secondly, this isn't your run of the mill, local 'LL game. It's an Elite level travel tourney. Umpires are paid very good for these games. Teams pay big money to get into these tournamemts. So it goes without saying, there's a level of expectation with umpires. R3gardless, you should give effort.
Also, I didn't interject myself into.the game. I was asked. I didn't embarrass any umpire. I wasn t laughing out loud, or even at him. When I say, " I laughed", I didn't mean as if I was literally laughing. I got a chuckle when he asked, how would I know anything about being in position. You are twisting words. You wasn t there. It was harmless. Hell I doubt anyone even knew what was going on. I didn't raise my voice once. It was nothing. But you are trying to.act as if I ran onto the field with a bullhorn, or something.

Sheesh.

ADVERTISEMENT