The Sideways Locomotive Thread; Your Level of Patriotism, Hot Takes and Overall General Nonsense

Discussion in 'College Basketball Board' started by Random UK Fan, Jul 3, 2019.

1. bkingUK

bkingUK Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Sounds like feel good hyperbole to me. It’s a subjective term. Being the thankful by itself means nothing with out comparison to something else.

And this also shows why liberalism and conservatism are largely subjective bullshit today. The whole dichotomy is a mental disorder. If we really applied the labels to this conversation, I am being conservative in my application of the term. I am being exact and removing ambiguity. You are talking in broad generalizations and feelings.

But of course if you also want to get exact, we are all liberals. China does not refer to you as a conservative. You represent westernized democratic values that embody westernized liberalism. When Putin recently said liberalism is dead, he wasn’t referring to left or right in American politics, he was referring to human rights, liberty, free markets, freedom of speech, etc.

Big_Blue79 and Dattier like this.
  2. BasketBallJunkie-UK

BasketBallJunkie-UK Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

People one on one are great. Its when they start getting a group mentality when it gets bad. People lose their individuality in a group.

And I agree being educated and continuing with education and critical thinking throughout life can bring more of a sense of happiness.

bkingUK likes this.
  3. hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

So yes? You’ll have to do better next time.

4. HRTheCard

HRTheCard Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I can see that too, but it's still stupid that they let 1 person do this

5. bkingUK

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

You made a statement and put a question mark on the end of it?

6. dukedevilz

dukedevilz Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I find this piece of information interesting: The differences can be quite striking, as Arthur C. Brooks of the American Enterprise Institute pointed out in a New York Times article on the subject: Fifty-two percent of married, religious, politically conservative people (with kids) are very happy — while only 14 percent of single, secular, liberal people without kids are.

Conservatives, on average, seem to be more content with how things are. We can accept the status-quo, whatever it may be. As I said in a previous post, when we lose an election, we go home and eat dinner with our families. Liberals aren't nearly as gracious in defeat... and they often seem hell-bent to change any little imperfection in our society. Liberals see themselves and those around them as victims of circumstance. They need help from legislators to overcome their circumstances. Conservatives believe there is equal opportunity afforded to everyone. If there are any disadvantages, they believe that they can be overcome through hard-work, instead of hand-outs. That's much more empowering, IMO.

How progressive are they really? I mean, we're talking about literally the whitest countries in the world. Sweden is the largest country in Scandinavia, roughly the size of North Carolina. So yeah, I don't think a government serving 10 million people in a highly homogeneous community translates well to serving the needs of a diverse country, well over 300 million individuals.

I don't think there is strong correlation between political leanings and levels of happiness. But, I think our culture and environment greatly influence our perception of the world, our attitudes, and our beliefs. I would say, however, that there is a negative correlation between how much time you invest in politics and your level of happiness (at least in America, as political coverage here largely written with a negative tone). If I were a betting man, I would say that liberals, on average, spend more time engaging in politics than conservatives. Conservatives are more invested in family and religion.

7. bkingUK

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Because they are white they aren’t progressive? What?

I’m not going to argue about who argues politics more between liberals and conservatives. It’s unprovable.

Things like socioeconomic status, education and mental health are ACTUAL indicators of happiness.
    Any “study” correlating liberalism or conservativism with happiness is tangential at best.

With out even researching, I’d bet I can find 10 studies or articles showing that liberalism is more conducive to happiness.

And that subjectivity is also why I consider liberal vs conservative arguments to be some of the most simplistic and basic arguments in politics. I don’t consider either a philosophy.

If you believe in a god because you think it brings you happiness that’s your prerogative. Whatever it takes I guess.

8. dukedevilz

dukedevilz Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

That was mostly tongue in cheek. Just think it's kind of ironic that these super progressive countries are lacking in terms of ethnic diversity and intellectual diversity. I mean, how progressive can you be if everyone looks alike and thinks alike?

I think it's much different when you compare conservatism/liberalism in America, as opposed to the world abroad. Scandanavia might as well be a country on another planet that we've never heard. How they view things has no effect on American politics. Like I said, I don't think there's a correlation with political leanings and our level of happiness. There are many attributable elements to why American conservatives might be more happy than American liberals. But, conservatives could just as well be insufferable dolts in another land... I just think we're sort of bred this way through our environment. I focus on my family, my church, my job, my level of physical fitness. Many liberals are hyper-focused on politics. My contention is that the more you engage in politics (in America), the less happy you'll be.

As far as finding studies that show liberalism is more conducive to happiness, I'm more interested in data that represents actual sampling of American citizens. Find me 10 studies/reports that show liberalism leads to higher levels of happiness in America, and I'll gladly change my avatar for the next 4 months.

168 dukedevilz, Jul 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    SNU0821 likes this.
  9. IUfanBorden

IUfanBorden Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Here's some comparisons:

Saturday Morning in Libya:

[​IMG]

Average Saturday morning in the United States:

[​IMG]

Need anymore,. so you can be thankful?

10. hailtoyourvictor

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Feels good

SNU0821 likes this.
  11. IUfanBorden

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

It really does. I am quite thankful to be a citizen of this country. Sure we have our issues. But, look, I mean I don't have to wrry about getting my legs blown off, when mowing my grass.

For those who "don't like this country"....Ok, great. Move. Go live in Iraq for a week. Or China. Something tells me Ol' Donnie(Trump), won't look so bad then.

SNU0821 likes this.
  12. hailtoyourvictor

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Being thankful doesn’t mean having the best of everything.

Though with how many things the USA excels at the line gets blurred sometimes.

SNU0821 and LetsGoDuke301 like this.
  13. IUfanBorden

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Very, very well said, my man. People get this confused. As I have told some of my "friends"---You don't like this country---leave. What part of "free" to you is confusing? As in, if you don't like it here---Your ass is free to leave. Look, go to China and complain about Jinping, as a citizen, as you do Trump...Yeah, let me know how that works out. You'll find your ass in a ****ing cave somewhere. And thats if your lucky.

SNU0821 likes this.
  14. coryfly

coryfly Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

That isn't really an average Saturday morning for many people, certainly not for the average person. It is for me but I'm more fortunate than most and am extremely happy. Many people start off Saturday morning in pretty terrible situations even in this country. I also don't think anyone was comparing Libya to America so this whole thing seems like a strawman.

Most people who have an issue with America aren't unhappy or hate America or don't want to live here. They are just loud in their objections to certain aspects of our society. I would suggest just ignoring them tbh. Not sure why so many let people they disagree with getting them so worked up.

MileHighSpartan and Dattier like this.
  15. schoonerwest

schoonerwest Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I like you but there’s several places in China I’d rather live in than Borden, IN. The fact that I’m a white man makes it a no brainer.

lurkeraspect84 likes this.
  16. IUfanBorden

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

C'mon, Cory.....Really? You gonna cut hairs? You know what my point is(here). And look, he said being thankful is subjective, unless you have something to compare it to....Well----I gave him that. Hell, I could've used a Saturday morning in Compton, Cali as an example, and it still would have been better.

17. coryfly

coryfly Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

But you used Libya, lol. That's pretty absurd. Surely you see how ridiculous that was.

Dattier likes this.
  18. BasketBallJunkie-UK

BasketBallJunkie-UK Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I would think religious conservatives in general are less intelligent than those of the secular brand.

19. IUfanBorden

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Sure you would...I mean, who'd want to live in a scenic, small town, that rest comfortably in the hills of Indiana---when you could live in China..Laughing

20. IUfanBorden

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

No, its not. I'm thankful to live in a country that's not a worn torn, day in and day out civil war. A country where my beliefs won't get me jailed or executed. He said being thankful carries little meaning, unless you compare it to something else. Sure I could have used England----But, OK---how much difference is there? Or Australia....Sure there are numerous countries that wouldn't be that big of a transition, to learn. But that's not the point. THe point is, your ass could be living in a region such as Libya, Iraq, Iran----China. Russia. Cuba. Places where you have minimal rights---And even then, those are rights that are chosen for you.

Look, I served in Iraq. I was there for 18 months. There is not a day that goes by that I do not thank My Lord and Savior for living in such a blessed country.

21. schoonerwest

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

“I mean, who’d want to live in one of the top alpha cities of the world with world class beautiful women, people from nations all over the world, amazing food and the center of the Asian culture when you could live in the middle of nowhere Indiana..Laughing

Dattier and bkingUK like this.
  22. IUfanBorden

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Live there----Or be a citizen? But hey, if you'd rather live in a communist country, ran by a lunatic---then by all means----by your ticket, and kick rocks. Me? I'll continue to live quite comfortably in my little cabin, with 5 acres, a pond, and one hell of a wife.

You left yet?

kelley2403 and mathman68 like this.
  23. hailtoyourvictor

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I’d take Indiana.

kelley2403, denniden and SNU0821 like this.
  24. schoonerwest

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

You said live there. I stand by my claim. I’m not going but I did point out some reasons why I think it would be a better place than Indiana... after you laughed at the idea of it.

25. schoonerwest

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

According to you, you have no desire to ever travel to the western USA so this doesn’t surprise me.

Dattier likes this.
  26. hailtoyourvictor

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Imagine having to fly halfway across the world to attend an MLB, NCAA Football, NCAA Basketball, of NFL game. As someone who goes to a good 15 games a season I have no interest in giving that up.

schoonerwest likes this.
  27. schoonerwest

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

This is such a fantastic response.

You’re being serious, aren’t you?

28. IUfanBorden

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Yeah----Ok. Dude I'd live in Kansas, before I'd move to fvcking China. I mean look, split hairs, slice it like you will---Whatever. Bottom line----There is no country better on this planet than that of The United States. If you feel different---fine. I respect your opinion---But please, save me the horse shit , rhetoric....

29. schoonerwest

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

How many other countries have you been to on vacation?

30. hailtoyourvictor

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Yes.

31. hailtoyourvictor

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I went to Toronto for spring break when I was 19 to drink legally. Don’t plan on leaving the country again.

32. IUfanBorden

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Why is that relevant? Hell I can think of 100 places I;ve been to in the US, where I'd rather live than Borden----Much less fcking China. That ain't the point. To say you'd rather live in China, opposed to Indiana---or for that matter---Anywhere in the US, is plain stupid. And quite honestly, its being very obtuse. Look, I get it. Taking a jab at my hometown...Its size. Location. That's cool. I get it. But if hey if having, and I quote--" I mean, who’d want to live in one of the top alpha cities of the world with world class beautiful women, people from nations all over the world, amazing food ", is your "cup of tea, then why not New York, LA, Chicago-----Or hell, fcvking Indianapolis? Portland offers as much....As does Seattle.....

See, thats why I don't take your post that serious. Its just you wanting to argue. Problem is, your argument is fcking stupid.

kelley2403 likes this.
  33. schoonerwest

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

You said there is no country on earth better than the US. I think hearing about all of your experiences in these other countries that led you to make that statement is entirely relevant.

I mean, it would be kind of “fcking stupid” to make a claim like that without really having ever traveled to numerous countries. Right?

MileHighSpartan likes this.
  34. IUfanBorden

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

No chance you are married---Or have a g/f. If so, God bless her.

Anyways----What country have you been to that's better than US? Better question---Have you been to every single country, in the world? If you have, then your question is relevant. If you have not---then your question is as irrelevant as I said. In other words, I don't need to travel the world to FEEL there's no better place/country to live. I mean, sure, Curacao is unreal....Beautiful. Lovely. Great food. Hell, I'd live there. Switzerland as well. England is wonderful. But see, SChooner----thats not the context of the discussion. Your splitting hairs, in a feeble attempt to change the context, to better fir your 'argument". Its rather childish to be honest.

35. schoonerwest

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I’m not the one who made an extremely bold statement with no facts to back it up and then later made some claim about not having a wife/gf (that didn’t even make sense).

I’m not even sure why you’re so upset. I made some pretty normal statements and asked some pretty normal questions.

MileHighSpartan and Dattier like this.
  36. IUfanBorden

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

What facts do yo have to refute my statement? See, now you are trolling. I'll give you a 5.

Plus, I didn't expect you to get the "wife/GF" statement. Give it some time....It'll come to you.

Not upset at all. Fine as could be. Your rhetoric is annoying as ****. But hey---thats you. Splitting hairs to "win" a "argument". I mean, there's roughly 200 countries in the world. So yeah, its highly likely, or quite possible there is a better place to live. But you are taking the word better, way, way out of context. Labeling it in terms of hot women, great food, etc, etc...You know as well as I do that's not what I am talking about....But hey---continue on son. Its entertainment.

37. LetsGoDuke301

LetsGoDuke301 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I definitely agree with the overall point here. It is kind of silly to say something so definitively without acual experiences to judge by. But it's also silly for people to claim that other places are better without that experience.

MileHighSpartan and SNU0821 like this.
  38. hailtoyourvictor

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

No

39. bkingUK

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I don’t care about your avatar, but when I’m Googically challenged, I’ll take it. I got to 8 using Google Scholar engine. The last one I just find really interesting. I spent two hours of my life doing this research on a Friday night.

Following articles either provide rebuttal to a happiness gap between liberals and conservatives, hypothesize that liberals are happier or that atheism is a path to happiness.

1. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...01404/do-liberal-policies-make-people-happier
    2. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/03/150312142909.htm
    3. https://science.sciencemag.org/content/347/6227/1243
    4. https://secularpolicyinstitute.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Zuckerman_on_Atheism.pdf
    5. http://orion2020.org/archivo/planeacion/07_Happiness.pdf
    6. http://www.people.hbs.edu/rditella/papers/restudpartisanhappiness.pdf
    7. https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/abs/10.1017/S0022381610000241

All are based in academic studies or research. To reiterate, my broader point is that the sheer subjectivity of these types of studies are why I don’t put a lot of credence into studies into liberalism and conservativism.As a technical guy, I’d much rather deal with objective values like gross national income than the self-reported emotion of happiness.

I do find the articles linking social policies to overall happiness of populations to have the most solid scientific merits. But away from this argument, in particular, this study was really interesting:

http://www.sakkyndig.com/psykologi/artvit/pronin2015.pdf

199 bkingUK, Jul 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  40. bkingUK

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]
    Borden, Indiana

French Countryside
    [​IMG]

MileHighSpartan likes this.