The Sideways Locomotive Thread; Your Level of Patriotism, Hot Takes and Overall General Nonsense

Discussion in 'College Basketball Board' started by Random UK Fan, Jul 3, 2019.

1. TheDude1

TheDude1 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Moments like that are the best, when you sort of get that we are all ultimately on the same side and dumb shit is met the right way:)

bMORE607 likes this.
  2. SNU0821

SNU0821 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

You're second sentence isn't correct. It's misleading, but not as much as the MSM pushed for the last three years. If you actually read what Trump said, he wasn't hesitant to condemn a march full of white supremacists. He did it. Over and over again and at the time it was happening.

Black unemployment is the lowest of all time. He's worked on criminal justice reform. Lower and middle class Americans are doing better under Trump than Obama.

If he's racist, he's not a very good one.

JimboBBN likes this.
  3. JimboBBN

JimboBBN Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Ha, I'll pass. Usually whenever you and him talk anything politics I just kind of zone out and do my own thing until you're done :)

And I just don't buy the racism card for him. That's the easiest and most convenient thing for anyone who opposes him to say. If you actually do research and read about people who work with him and are close to him, you'd see a lot of people don't have a bad thing to say about the guy as far as this issue goes. It is what it is though, I won't change your mind or anyone else. Its all good

SNU0821 likes this.
  4. denniden

denniden Administrator
    Expand Collapse

Are you sure about that?

SNU0821 likes this.
  5. TheDude1

Expand Collapse

I think the issue after the United the Right march was that, in his first statement, not only did he NOT call out nazis and white supremists, he said that there was hatred and violence on MANY sides, implying that anti-nazi marchers shouldered similar blame. He even repeated "MANY sides" as emphasis.

Republicans even called him out for it. Orrin Hatch, Marco Rubio, and Cory Gardner were among the Republicans who said he should have called out the white supremacists by name. And other Republicans, including Mitch McConnell, Kevin McCarthy, and Paul Ryan specifically called out white nationalists, which made Trump's omission even more befuddling.

The whole "there were good people on both sides" thing that came afterwards just made it worse, as did the celebrating by the Klan and other white supremacists on social media and on white power websites and the like.

I think when you take all of that together, the end result is that people feel (again, right or wrong, it's the feelings that matter) that the President at BEST didn't really address what happened and the people who were the root cause of it.

I am glad that criminal justice reform is ongoing. I'm not sure the "lowest unemployment" thing is as big a deal as it is made out to be... I mean, black unemployment under Obama went from roughly 17% to roughly 8%. The extra 2% that Trump has been president during is certainly nice, and in terms of headlines (Lowest Unemployment Ever!) it sounds great, but I don't think it is the sort of dramatic, real world improvement that is going to cause people to say "Ah ha! This is a big deal, and because of it I will support him."

Lower and middle class Americans, again, you are trying to compare a President who pulled us out of the biggest depression in decades to a President who came in as things were going well. Not saying that Trump doesn't get credit or Obama doesn't, but the gains under Trump are nowhere near as dramatic as the ones under Obama, even if the final numbers look great, so I am not sure those improvements will overwhelm all of the other stuff.

At the end of the day, when it comes to FEELING, there are a LOT of components, and years worth of experiences. Right or wrong, simple things like "Black unemployment has improved by a few percentage points" aren't going to have a huge impact on how people FEEL.

11205 TheDude1, Jan 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  6. TheDude1

Expand Collapse

Yep. Go ahead and compare the early statements of other Republican leaders, like Mitch McConnell or Paul Ryan or Marco Rubio or Kevin McCarthy or any number of leaders, to those of Trump. There was a difference there, and it when it comes to asking people their feelings about Trump and race, those sorts of things, especially given the huge amount of attention they got, matter.

7. TheDude1

Expand Collapse

Dude, I think you should talk to him about it. It might be good, to hear it first hand from someone you talk to nearly every night.

And again, look at that list of things I posted. Do I think Donald Trump is wearing white hoods and burning crosses? No, obviously not. I do think green is the color that matters most to Donald. But given that I believe MOST people are at least a LITTLE bit racist... well, given his decades of actions and words, I think drawing the conclusion that Donald is maybe a bit more racist than most of us is a pretty reasonable conclusion.

8. TheDude1

Expand Collapse

Those aren't his initial comments. Those came later. Here are the initial remarks (made here in NJ!)

https://www.vox.com/2017/8/12/16138...-violence-on-many-sides-charlottesville-rally

"We condemn in the strongest possible terms this egregious display of hatred, bigotry and violence on many sides, on many sides."

Okay, I wasted a whole lunch on this. You guys might not be racist, but you are lunchist, and I'm not putting up with this!:)

9. SNU0821

Expand Collapse

I disagree. I think it was just a tool that the left/liberals like to play because they hate Trump. Honestly. They are looking for anything to paint him in a negative light.

Anyone can understand what Trump meant before he clarified his comments in the presser. And I don't think he was wrong saying there were good people on both sides as well as saying there were bad people on both sides. As he clarified, which is a shame he even had to, some people were there in support of NOT removing the statue that weren't with the nazi's who were marching. There were also a ton of Antifa/BLM people there that were only there to be a part of the conflict.

Also, Obama didn't pull us out of a depression. It was a recession. And it was the slowest recovery in history. Largley due to his overwhelming number of regulations he put in place that strangled many small to mid sized businesses. And I disagree on the Obama versus Trumps gains as president. Look at what Trump has done since he's been in office versus Obama. Obama had eight years. Trump has only had three. Obama did an ok job getting us out of the recession. It could have been much better. Trump has done a really good job so far. He also can do better, but not as much as Obama IMO.

10. hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I sometimes scroll through the thread top to bottom and WHENEVER I see random words typed in caps I KNOW who posted it before getting to their NAME.

11. hailtoyourvictor

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Sweet story!

12. JimboBBN

Expand Collapse

I love J, and he is very intelligent when it comes to basketball and 2K. But we had the Kapernick discussion and ended up just agreeing to disagree. Which is fine, but I didn't come away thinking any differently about Kap. He probably didn't either. Talking politics in a lot of cases is more of a chore than anything else, I would prefer to spend my off time getting mad at a basketball game and cussing my opponents out.

I read what you posted, I've also researched the subject and found that a lot of people who work with him, closely or not, find that he isn't in the least bit racist and does a lot for them. I will tend to take that to heart more than people dissecting his every word and trying to spin them in some crazy way. Everyone can agree the guy isn't good with words or speeches.

SNU0821 likes this.
  13. schoonerwest

schoonerwest Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I think a lot of what Dude said goes way back to the 1970's, 80's and 90's and has nothing to do with what's been put out there on him in the last 3-4 years. He's always had a sketchy reputation and he's been a household name for probably 35 years now. Donald Trump = racist isn't new news. Dude is just putting out there what's been common knowledge for a long time now. That may be a narrative that is grossly exaggerated but it's certainly how people have always viewed him. Why do you think one of the main arguments Democrats have against his senior age supporters is how they can just ignore everything they've ever thought of about him to blindly support him now?

Just curious, what have you read on him when you researched it? Are these old articles or is it recent stuff? I almost can't rely on anything that comes out on him within the last 5 years whether that be negative or positive. It's a weird world we live in now when it comes to news.

I don't know if that 80% number is accurate but it's no surprise that Trump is not well liked at all in the black community. I never have liked how white people can just dismiss anything put out there regarding how black people think when most of those white guys literally have no interactions whatsover with anybody that lives in black communities. They think because there's like 11 pro Trump black dudes on Twitter than that must mean it's a HUGE percentage of the population. I'm not calling out your or anybody on this board by the way. Just saying us crackers look really dumb when we try and, what would the term be, whitesplain(?) things they don't understand.

With all that said, #MAGA2020. (maybe)

SNU0821 likes this.
  14. JimboBBN

Expand Collapse

Just read a NYT article about how the people he works with think very highly of him. I'm not dismissing how others feel, I just think there is a lot of general assumption about the guy, especially in the African American community. Its very easy to say someone is racist because someone else tells you they are.

SNU0821 likes this.
  15. brooky03

brooky03 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

TWSS

JimboBBN and TheDude1 like this.
  16. brooky03

brooky03 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

People he currently works with think highly of him? Cuz of course they do (or say that).

If we’re talking people who have formerly worked with/under him, there’s anecdotal evidence that he’s cool and that he sucks.

17. TheDude1

Expand Collapse

Possibly, but writing off the feelings of people as them just accepting what someone else says... that's a bit unfair, isn't it? Like... they aren't making that judgment themselves? I mean, again... look at the stuff that Donald has done. I don't think it's just someone TELLING black people "Get upset!" and them getting upset. I think it is much more likely that black people see Donald being the ring leader of the Birther movement and relentlessly attacking the most famous black man in the country with no apparent basis in fact, they see Donald getting sued by the DoJ for racist renting practices, they hear Donald calling African countries a shithole, they read Donald calling young black men sons of bitches... I just don't get how Donald can do and say and write this stuff, but you then say the problem is with people who then consider him racist. To me, reaching the conclusion that he is racist is at least understandable, even if you don't agree with it.

One side thing, about racism... I'm not sure that you can judge if a person is racist by how they deal with you personally. This isn't a comment on Trump or anything... it's more a general thing? Face to face, people are generally a lot nicer than they are when they are dealing with a group or with someone who is unseen. Sometimes people will come off as very genuine or kind in person, but then when they get a bit more distant, another side will come up a bit? I think that's even happened here. I think that 99 percent of the people on this forum, including I think everyone in this discussion, would NEVER be racist towards someone in person. But I would wager that there are still people here with some racist beliefs or tendencies, which may not show up in person but might be more subtley noticeable in things written on a message board or generic comments or whathaveyou.

18. TheDude1

Expand Collapse

BTW, on another note... whats with the news of American troops being hurt in that Iran attack? I thought we had luckily gotten through that thing in the clear, but now it sounds more serious. Maybe the US government downplaying it so that cooling things of with Iran wouldn't be met with resistance?

19. I am stupid

I am stupid Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Democrats think of coal miners/Appalachian folk the same way Republicans view black people.

SNU0821 likes this.
  20. TheDude1

Expand Collapse

Uhmm... that's an interesting take? So I generally look at coal miners as people who have skills that were useful in their area in the past but just aren't going to be useful for long, and I hope that they have a chance to learn new skills that will give them a chance over the decades to come, as industry changes. "Appalachian folk" I generally think are just generally living in smaller, more isolated places and unfortunately tend to be living in poorer places. Is that how Republicans view black people?

21. JimboBBN

Expand Collapse

Meh. We can move on. I’m not dismissing anyone’s feelings, they can believe what they want. I feel pretty confident that what I posted is pretty accurate. I don’t think the average American pays as much attention to Trump as some of us on here. Which leads me to believe a lot of the criticism he gets is exactly what you posted. People spreading whatever they want about the guy.

SNU0821 likes this.
  22. I am stupid

Expand Collapse

I was meaning more of a political way as in who they support and why but there are similarities like you mention.

The thoughts are Appalachian people(specifically coal country) continue to vehemently support Republican people and polices when it has done nothing to noticeably help. Matt Jones this past election did everything but call SE KY voters dumb because they continue to vote "against their best interest" because they vote for Republicans who claim they have their back. Claiming Dems are going to take their jobs, kill their babies, make you make gay cakes, etc...

On the other side, Republicans can't figure out why Black voters continue to support Democrats and their policies so vehemently when nothing has really improved in their areas for the past 50 years(or whatever timeline). Democrats tell them they are the only party that cares about black people and their communities and Repubs are racists, etc...

Neither side lives the life of the others, so its very difficult to understand how/why they feel like they do. If inner city poor people and poor Appalachian people got together, they would have more in common than most would realize.

SNU0821 likes this.
  23. toonces11

toonces11 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

The soldiers that reported concussions from being in the bunkers?

SNU0821 likes this.
  24. TheDude1

Expand Collapse

Oh, is that all it is?! That’s nothing too serious.

You’d think a bunker would protect against that. Wonder if it was a shitty Iraqi bunker to blame?

25. toonces11

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I thought it was a team of 8-12 that control our eyes in the sky---the missile strikes were close enough that it shook the bunker pretty well and at the same time, severed our buried fiber optic lines where they actually couldn't communicate with our drones. These guys stayed behind on purpose to surveil the area. I'm sure you've watched actually explosion videos and the true effect of being anywhere near one. The shock wave on bigger bombs is shockingly large.

One fact I picked up from a documentary on what I believe was in afghanistan...I think the US Military reported an average of 2.3 suicide bombings per wk for 3 years. Average child casualty: 2.9

lurkeraspect84 likes this.
  26. TheDude1

Expand Collapse

I was all set to “like” your post. Then I got to the whole “dead kid” paragraph and then it felt awkward.

27. toonces11

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I cant wrap my head around any logic that has results like this. Its a widespread sickness over there that doesn't resemble any symbolism of being humane

28. TheDude1

Expand Collapse

It is some mix of abject desperation combined with familial and societal pressure combined with the absolutism of religion. It’s a dangerous goddamned combo.

29. lurkeraspect84

lurkeraspect84 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Well said.

30. hailtoyourvictor

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

....:rolleyes:

31. lurkeraspect84

lurkeraspect84 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

How long is it ok to get aggravated at a delivery time? When does the tip start going down?

20-30 minutes est. time, it's been 50.

32. I am stupid

Expand Collapse

I would say if you haven't received it yet do not tip. Winking

brooky03 likes this.
  33. bMORE607

bMORE607 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Remember that guy who made the awful joke about the shooting at the Ariana Grande concert, well he’s back on his shit. We really should thin the herd.

Not posting every tweet. Just click and follow. It gets worse, he called the cops.

I am stupid likes this.
  34. SNU0821

Expand Collapse

Another funny part is he said he hasn’t been to the dentist in three years because he couldn’t afford it. However, he tweeted like a year ago that he got his dentist office to change the TV from Fox News in the waiting area.

Dude is a POS.

35. hailtoyourvictor

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

That comment section is amazing

bMORE607 and SNU0821 like this.
  36. bMORE607

bMORE607 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I love the picture Laughing

Everybody coming together to recognize what a complete and total fvcking asshole you are.

toonces11 likes this.
  37. hailtoyourvictor

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

38. schoonerwest

schoonerwest Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

JimboBBN likes this.
  39. toonces11