ADVERTISEMENT

The SEC just doesn't prepare teams for the NCAAT

Original_Irish

Apr 27, 2010
We say this all the time on this board. You can't win in March when you play in a soft conference. How are SEC teams like Auburn supposed to prepare for the rigors of March when these are the teams that they have to compete against in their conference?

Hopefully Auburn can pull off some Cinderella stuff, because they didn't get challenged by top teams during their conference schedule. It couldn't be more clear now.

I mean, Tennessee should've been a 2 and I don't think anyone can argue that.

It basically comes down to them shooting 10% from 3 today and they still had a chance to win the game...

Reactions: cdbearde
It’s been a 2 team conference (Kentucky/Florida) for a long time. These other teams are good in the SEC but get exposed when they play other teams

Reactions: Villian07
Oddly the sec had the most impressive collection of non conference wins during the season.

But what’s strange about it is the 3 teams that had the best ooc wins did the worst in the tournament.

None of it makes any damn sense.

I was very high on the SEC going into the tournament. I felt Texas A&M should have made it (and still do). It's been a little surprising to see a lot of the SEC teams struggle. It will be interesting to see how Auburn does vs. Miami later.

We say this all the time on this board. You can't win in March when you play in a soft conference. How are SEC teams like Auburn supposed to prepare for the rigors of March when these are the teams that they have to compete against in their conference?

Hopefully Auburn can pull off some Cinderella stuff, because they didn't get challenged by top teams during their conference schedule. It couldn't be more clear now.
That is because the only thing that matters is beating Kentucky, Tennessee knew it, Auburn knew it and even St. Peter's knew it and now you know it.

It’s funny for how “bad the ACC is” this year, there are more teams still left standing than the “mighty” sec we’ve heard all year long.

Power Conferences are rarely "bad". It's usually people running with a few early season results and pretending that's definitive. The ACC is definitely proving that right now. There was always a lot of talent in the ACC.

a53cd0ce-ec17-48ca-b1d8-e9f8245f6e05_text.gif

I was very high on the SEC going into the tournament. I felt Texas A&M should have made it (and still do). It's been a little surprising to see a lot of the SEC teams struggle. It will be interesting to see how Auburn does vs. Miami later.
Miami is fools gold imo. Got a nice draw round one in usc, and played well, i just dont think they are anywhere near a top 16 team in the nation. I say auburn by double digits today.

Miami is fools gold imo. Got a nice draw round one in usc, and played well, i just dont think they are anywhere near a top 16 team in the nation. I say auburn by double digits today.
Auburn is better but Miami is pretty tough. My issue with Auburn is their guard play. They seem to have dudes that need to be reminded that when the chips are down they have an nba front court. Still, I tend to agree with you. I think Auburn takes this one. Maybe pulling away the last 5-10 minutes.

Auburn is better but Miami is pretty tough. My issue with Auburn is their guard play. They seem to have dudes that need to be reminded that when the chips are down they have an nba front court. Still, I tend to agree with you. I think Auburn takes this one. Maybe pulling away the last 5-10 minutes.
Yea i guess that works both ways as miami is a bc driven team but doesnt have all that much down low.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
I think Miami can hang.

Even ACC fans thought the ACC was really down this year. I thought they looked fairly impressive when I watched but that wasn’t often.
The conference definitely underperformed in OOC. But this is the problem with these huge P5 conferences. They keep making larger conference schedules and it kills the conferences opportunity to make statements in OOC.

giphy.gif

Even ACC fans thought the ACC was really down this year. I thought they looked fairly impressive when I watched but that wasn’t often.

You can be down and still be good. The ACC has been pretty dominant and had solid depth for the last decade. We’re not that this year but doesn’t mean we’re complete dog shit either

You can be down and still be good. The ACC has been pretty dominant and had solid depth for the last decade. We’re not that this year but doesn’t mean we’re complete dog shit either

That’s the big issue. People pretend they’re huge gaps between the power conferences. Sometimes they’re up and other times they’re down but they’re usually pretty close when it comes to overall talent in the leagues

Reactions: jhmossy

Still better than Gonzaga

Still better than Gonzaga
Yeah, you could see it watching that game. Gonzaga doesn’t know how to deal with that kind of athleticism. It’s one thing to see it in the noncon, but other teams go against great athletes every single night all year long and it toughens them up throughout the year. Gonzaga doesn’t. Too many times they seemed taken back by Arkansas’ athleticism. When you go 3 months without seeing it, it will catch you off guard. They were lucky last week with Memphis’ ineptitude.

ADVERTISEMENT