ADVERTISEMENT

The San Fran Dons showing once again

These kind of upsets happen from time to time. UVA under TB get a lot of scrutiny because of the UMBC loss but I'm not sure their system makes them any more vulnerable for getting upset. I remember Duke losing to Stephen F. Austin and Kentucky losing to Evansville.

These kind of upsets happen from time to time. UVA under TB get a lot of scrutiny because of the UMBC loss but I'm not sure their system makes them any more vulnerable for getting upset. I remember Duke losing to Stephen F. Austin and Kentucky losing to Evansville.

I’m not saying UVA is the only team that gets upset. It’s not even about the upset.

I’m talking about the recipe to beat them period. Now, it’s easier said than done. But there’s a clear blueprint for beating them.

Duke did it a couple years ago up in Charlottesville. FSU did it in the ACC Tourney a few weeks before UVA cut down the nets.

If you can spread them out and knock down some perimeter shots, all the sudden the line of the pack line gets a bit overextended and it’s open season at the rim.

I’m not saying UVA is the only team that gets upset. It’s not even about the upset.

I’m talking about the recipe to beat them period. Now, it’s easier said than done. But there’s a clear blueprint for beating them.

Duke did it a couple years ago up in Charlottesville. FSU did it in the ACC Tourney a few weeks before UVA cut down the nets.

If you can spread them out and knock down some perimeter shots, all the sudden the line of the pack line gets a bit overextended and it’s open season at the rim.

Did you watch the game..

I wasn't familiar with the program. Saw they brought in a Bruce Pearl assistant. Guy is in his first year.
Great way to get the program's name out there
Haven't heard of them since they had Bill Cartwright.

Yeah, I usually bet against UVA when they are a heavy favorite mainly because they don't blow out a lot of teams. It's tough to win by 30 when you score in the 40s.

Reactions: GE Nole
Living in Houston I get a lot of info about the Rice Basketball Program

So when I saw UVa fans celebrating Trey Murphy like he was about to be a big contributor I was worried for them.

A lot of his numbers were against the bottom of the CUSA. Didn't really show up as a player equal to the players at Houston when they played the last couple of years.

Did you watch the game..

I wasn't familiar with the program. Saw they brought in a Bruce Pearl assistant. Guy is in his first year.
Great way to get the program's name out there
Haven't heard of them since they had Bill Cartwright.

USF's coach played under Randy Bennett at Saint Mary's just a little over a decade ago. And USF beating UVA isn't a complete world-shocker. Surprising, yes, but not like UMBC-surprising. They've been a top 75 team the past two years. San Francisco played Gonzaga really tough in all 3 matchups last year. They were beating Gonzaga by 9 at the half in Spokane - then the Zags pulled away in the second half. And the games in SF and Las Vegas weren't decided until the final minutes of the game. Gonzaga won those two contests by four points. The Dons gave them a good fight. They're a tough team. They also beat a top 20 team in BYU last season. Bouyea and Shabazz are a really nice backcourt duo. I had Bouyea in my preseason top 150 rankings, as well.

Duke has won a lot of games over the years by spreading teams out and hitting threes. I love that style of offense. Drive the lane, draw a help defender and kick out to the open man. It's how Evsnsville beat UK last year. It worked like a charm.

I'll give credit to UVA, a lot of teams have tried this approach against them, you kinda have to really. But UVA has an incredible winning percentage the last few years and has taken the ACC title several times.

But, as has been said, they are susceptible to upsets like this when their offense sputters. They don’t get enough possessions to get separation and if someone gets a lead on them, they're in trouble.

Reactions: GE Nole
San Fran has two NCAA titles

The talent that came out of Bay Area at that time was crazy.
In all sports.
Bunch of blacks from Texas and Louisiana mainly moved out there and blew up.
Bill Russell and Frank Robinson attended the same HS. People claimed Robinson was a better basketball player than baseball but the money was in baseball at the time.

Definitely an ugly loss for us yesterday. We didn't look ready to play from the tip - just not much energy at either end. We let San Francisco hang around and they kept gaining confidence the longer they were in the game. They hit a lot of big shots in the second half and kudos to them for the win. They deserved it. They played harder and better than we did.

That said, we have a lot of new guys in new roles, and Tony still has a lot of work to do to figure out our rotations, as do a lot of other coaches at this point. Not an excuse but as a fan I'm not overly concerned. We have more work to do defensively than usual with so many new guys, but we'll get that sorted out. We always do.

I'm still very bullish on this team. We have quality experience, talent, size/length, and depth. We'll find out more in games against Michigan State and Villanova the next few weeks, but I still fully expect that come February/March we'll be considered one of the favorites.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
These early season upsets are common. No matter what coaches say to players it's hard to convince them they can lose to lower tier programs, and the players can come out flat without focus.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
ADVERTISEMENT