ADVERTISEMENT

The last time both K-State and KU had advanced to the sweet 16 was exactly 30 years ago

gocats5611

Jun 12, 2002
Interesting article about what happened to the two programs after 1988. Most younger people today don't realize K-State's basketball history pre-1990's is quite proud. Of course in retrospect, K-State should have been more patient with Dana Altman in the early 90's. But at that time the expectations were still very high. It was mostly a joke then until Frank Martin came on board. Most won't care about the article except for KU and K-State fans. But the more interesting part of this article that is linked is the video. The two teams were fairly evenly matched but K-State was probably the better team that season. I'm too young to have appreciated it but my father tells me Larry Brown was a stud that day. http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/sam-mellinger/article206168694.html

Rock Chalk!!!
4223752488_d6efedef57_b.jpg
SmokinSmile

Interesting article about what happened to the two programs after 1988. Most younger people today don't realize K-State's basketball history pre-1990's is quite proud. Of course in retrospect, K-State should have been more patient with Dana Altman in the early 90's. But at that time the expectations were still very high. It was mostly a joke then until Frank Martin came on board. Most won't care about the article except for KU and K-State fans. But the more interesting part of this article that is linked is the video. The two teams were fairly evenly matched but K-State was probably the better team that season. I'm too young to have appreciated it but my father tells me Larry Brown was a stud that day. http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/sam-mellinger/article206168694.html

didn't read the article, but K-state had Mitch Richmond and Lon Kruger Kansas had Danny Manning, and they killed my Sooners in the championship game.

What in the actual **** is an emaw? I really do want to know. I know for god damn sure that no cat makes that sound. No mountain lion, no tiger, no ocelot, no house-cat, no cheetah, no standard ass lion, nothing.

I loved the old Big 8! The conference was like the old wild west.
during that season OU, KU and Mizzou taken turn to rank #1 in the nation. We beat KU at Allen fieldhouse for the first time in decades, Billy Tubbs and co. cut down the net there, pissed off KU fans.

I also missed KU Mizzou rivalry, taking about the wild west - Mizzou's Anthony Peeler scored an easy lay up, walked to KU bench and flexed his muscle, both bench emptied at midcourt in an all out brawl.

during that season OU, KU and Mizzou taken turn to rank #1 in the nation. We beat KU at Allen fieldhouse for the first time in decades, Billy Tubbs and co. cut down the net there, pissed off KU fans.

I also missed KU Mizzou rivalry, taking about the wild west - Mizzou's Anthony Peeler scored an easy lay up, walked to KU bench and flexed his muscle, both bench emptied at midcourt in an all out brawl.

That is definitely the Kansas/Missouri rivalry I missed. Roy Williams getting Norm Stewart a rocking chair on one of Mizzou's trips to AFT was awesome. The Antelopes student section were a brutal & relentless group. I did feel like the rivalry got a bit diluted when the Big 12 took over but it was still a pretty hated rivalry.

That is definitely the Kansas/Missouri rivalry I missed. Roy Williams getting Norm Stewart a rocking chair on one of Mizzou's trips to AFT was awesome. The Antelopes student section were a brutal & relentless group. I did feel like the rivalry got a bit diluted when the Big 12 took over but it was still a pretty hated rivalry.
Nothing was ever the same. I get we needed Texas' TV sets.. but they really mucked it up for everybody.

Reactions: LeroyOU12
The Antlers were brutal. That was.. I believe when I was a student at K-State in the 90's, the only place the K-State Marching band wouldn't travel to. Apparently one year when I was a student the band was running out there and several of the Antler's dumped grape juice and other stuff from the stands down on the band that ruined a bunch of the Marching Band uniforms. They also launched energy bars at the band members. They really were jackasses.

I think Missouri people are just built a little differently then Kansas people. Just sayin'

I think Missouri people are just built a little differently then Kansas people. Just sayin'
This couldn’t be any more true. They have fewer teeth, and naturally smell like tapioca pudding. The women have more hair on their back than I do, but when they take their dentures out.... oh boy! Nothing like a good gum job.

The Antlers were brutal. That was.. I believe when I was a student at K-State in the 90's, the only place the K-State Marching band wouldn't travel to. Apparently one year when I was a student the band was running out there and several of the Antler's dumped grape juice and other stuff from the stands down on the band that ruined a bunch of the Marching Band uniforms. They also launched energy bars at the band members. They really were jackasses.

They were rabid breed. Anything they could throw at opposing players they threw with no regrets.

Reactions: gocats5611
Oh god... Ecokat. A dark dark time for K-State marketing. You want to know the worst part? I have a feeling... that most of these fans that aren't familiar think this is something KU came up with to make fun. Nope.. Ecokat was the creation of the K-State marketing braintrust. Yeah .. we did it to ourselves (hangs head in shame) https://athlonsports.com/overtime/kansas-states-ecokat-crappiest-mascot-ever
It was also during the time of the K-State marketing genius that was Ecokat, that there was a push by the liberal PC K-State administration at that time to convert EMAW to EPAW. That failed miserably, lol. There are some questionable "traditions" in our repertoire including the "f*** KU chant during games". But EMAW is a huge source of pride, and something unique K-State should be proud of. Hence to replace said administration we hired a retired alum 5-star General and former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Richard Myers to lead our University. Yeah.. he's cool with EMAW. Lol.
chairman-of-the-joint-chiefs-of-staff-general-richard-myers-answers-a-picture-id1870655
general-richard-b.-myers_ksu-interim-president.jpg

Reactions: Monty_Burns
There are some questionable "traditions" in our repertoire including the "f*** KU chant during games".
That sandstorm bs is the worst. I guess I understood when it first started, but then it continued. And continued. Then your admistration came out publically in attempt to stop it, yet it still continued. Then you guys started doing it during non-KU games. That’s when I stopped understanding it.

Can’t imagine taking my young kids to a b-ball game and hearing the entire crowd chanting “eff KU”. Even if I was a KSU fan, I wouldn’t subject my boys to that. Have a little more class. We’re not even a heated rivalry. It’s much more of a friendly rivalry IMO.

That sandstorm bs is the worst. I guess I understood when it first started, but then it continued. And continued. Then your admistration came out publically in attempt to stop it, yet it still continued. Then you guys started doing it during non-KU games. That’s when I stopped understanding it.

Can’t imagine taking my young kids to a b-ball game and hearing the entire crowd chanting “eff KU”. Even if I was a KSU fan, I wouldn’t subject my boys to that. Have a little more class. We’re not even a heated rivalry. It’s much more of a friendly rivalry IMO.
Yeah... well you bitches wave "our" wheat. Just sayin'.

Which is interesting considering KU almost seems ashamed at times to be from this state and uses derogatory language toward K-State utilizing words from the top industry in the state. Nobody is perfect. But I wish we would dispatch of the F--- KU. Just isn't necessary, and reflects poorly.

Part of the rivalry factor is that I do think we hate KU more then you hate us Much of that is because for decades your ire was directed at Missouri. West of Topeka that KU/MU rivalry was much less of a factor even for KU fans. KU has much less presence overall west of Topeka, and the rivalry is much more important to K-State fans and KU fans. But in the most densely populated part of the state it was mostly about KU/MU. That's at least my opinion.

Reactions: npreston
Yeah... well you bitches wave "our" wheat. Just sayin'.

Which is interesting considering KU almost seems ashamed at times to be from this state and uses derogatory language toward K-State utilizing words from the top industry in the state. Nobody is perfect. But I wish we would dispatch of the F--- KU. Just isn't necessary, and reflects poorly.

Part of the rivalry factor is that I do think we hate KU more then you hate us Much of that is because for decades your ire was directed at Missouri. West of Topeka that KU/MU rivalry was much less of a factor even for KU fans. KU has much less presence overall west of Topeka, and the rivalry is much more important to K-State fans and KU fans. But in the most densely populated part of the state it was mostly about KU/MU. That's at least my opinion.

What's this? I've giggled at the mention of Manhattan smelling ... funky at times.
It does.

But, you're right, Staters do hate KU more than KU hates State.
Embarrassed to be from this state? Have you taken a look around?

I don't mind the Eff KU chant.....I particularly like it when its going on and we aren't even in town. Its kinda hilarious.

Reactions: KUhawks34

Pretty much defines KSU fandom. Playing Direction Football U in September and this is what they trot out for their halftime entertainment. Followed shortly by a celebration of the soil judging team and the grand finale a sheep mating exhibition.

ADVERTISEMENT