ADVERTISEMENT

The greatest performance in NCAA tourney history?

I hated Laettner, but nothing will compare to him in that game imo. The stage was ten times that of a KState-Mich State game and the stakes were much higher.
This.
So 10-10 is better than 21-22?

Naaaah...

Shit I could argue Mashburn was better(that night): 28 points(11-16, 3-4 from three, 3-3 from the line) , 10 rebounds, 3 assist, 2 steals, with NO TRNOVERS---Laettner had 31/7/3/2---but had 5 turnovers, and didn't handle the ball nowhere near as Mash did. Laettner gave UK 5 extra possesions in a one point game---Mash gave them none.

NOTE----Keep this in mind. In 1973 dunking was against the rules. Walton had 4 baskets wiped off due to this. Otherwise, he would have had 52 points, on 25-26 shooting.
That clutch shot.

Reactions: 829305
This.

That clutch shot.
So the shot makes it the best? Is it best PLAY, or best overall game? I mean its not Waltons fault UCLA was a juggernaut. Maybe this----IF Lattener doesn't turn it over 5 times, Duke doesn't need that shot?

21-22 for 44 points. 13 rebounds. I mean dude missed ONE shot. And if not for not being able to dunk, he would have had 52, on 25-26 shooting----in the National Championship game.

So the shot makes it the best? Is it best PLAY, or best overall game? I mean its not Waltons fault UCLA was a juggernaut. Maybe this----IF Lattener doesn't turn it over 5 times, Duke doesn't need that shot?

21-22 for 44 points. 13 rebounds. I mean dude missed ONE shot. And if not for not being able to dunk, he would have had 52, on 25-26 shooting----in the National Championship game.
But Walton was likely high….

I did like the Xavier Kansas State double OT sweet 16 game in 2010.

Absolutely! Was thinking of that one, actually. Especially since K-State was involved in both games.

The West Virginia/Wake Forest double OT game in 2005 was wild and I would say tops the game last night.

And that same year in the Elite 8 you had Illinois come back from down like 15 with 3 min to go to get to OT and beat Arizona by 1. That was an all time great one.

So I’d say no further than 2005. But last night was still a classic.

Classics, for sure!

There have been plenty of great games in-between. Just not sure there have been better ones in the last 15 years than the MSU-K-State battle.

K-State/Xavier in 2010, Memphis-Kansas in 2008, ND-Kentucky in 2015 are a few that come to mind.

Duke-Kentucky in 1992....

Indiana-Duke 2002

Past three UClA-Gonzaga games have been epic: 2006, 2019 and this year.

Pure entertinament wise---1983 Lousiville-Houston. Like 420 dunks.

Great games, for sure! I still maintain that Boozer was hacked on the offensive rebound, though.

• Haha
Reactions: IUfanBorden
UCLA-Gonzaga last night and final four was better imo

UVA-Purdue was definitely better

I could definitely see the '19 UVA/Purdue and '21 Gonzaga/UCLA battles being better.

I don't think the Gonzaga/UCLA Sweet 16 from Thursday was better than K-State/MSU, though. UCLA ran out of steam and didn't have much firepower in the 2nd half. Granted, the gutted out a ridiculous effort in the final 2 minutes to retake the lead. Just, felt like their play for 70% of the 2nd half was underwhelming.

Did we just witness it? Did Nowell just pass Bill Walton’s near perfect game?

20 pts, 19 assists, 5 steals including one on the game tying 3 pt attempt. Only 2 turnovers as well.

And he did it all on a bum ankle in the 2nd half. At the very least he showed Willis Reed how it’s really done at the Garden.

All things considered I’m calling it the greatest performance since I started following the tourney seriously in the early 80s.
A great performance, but against a not-your-daddy's 7 seed Michigan State team that also gave up the greatest comeback in regular season D1 CBB history.........

I'm sure he'll do even better against Florida Atlantic though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT