ADVERTISEMENT

The greatest performance in NCAA tourney history?

WeAreDePaul

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2017
Did we just witness it? Did Nowell just pass Bill Walton’s near perfect game?

20 pts, 19 assists, 5 steals including one on the game tying 3 pt attempt. Only 2 turnovers as well.

And he did it all on a bum ankle in the 2nd half. At the very least he showed Willis Reed how it’s really done at the Garden.

All things considered I’m calling it the greatest performance since I started following the tourney seriously in the early 80s.

Did we just witness it? Did Nowell just pass Bill Walton’s near perfect game?

20 pts, 19 assists, 5 steals including one on the game tying 3 pt attempt. Only 2 turnovers as well.

And he did it all on a bum ankle in the 2nd half. At the very least he showed Willis Reed how it’s really done at the Garden.

All things considered I’m calling it the greatest performance since I started following the tourney seriously in the early 80s.
It was pretty damn great and one for the ages.

Michigan was a better team overall. Without Nowell they lose 2 games ago
taht's not the point of this thread though. I'm not going to discredit Rice's performance because he played with some good players. For all we know they lose in the first round if Rice doesn't play well as well.

But, this is about one game, not a tourney run and I don't think Rice had any individual game that was as good as what we saw last night.

That was one of the most entertaining NCAA Tournament games I can ever recall. Seriously, how far back do you have to go to top that one?

UCLA-Gonzaga last night and final four was better imo

UVA-Purdue was definitely better

7foo8z.jpg

If it wasn't for fvcking Kihei and Diakite, I'd argue the nod should go to Carsen Edwards scoring 42 points (10-19 from three) against a top 5 Virginia defense in 2019.
Agree.....Amazing game by him.

Reactions: boilerzz
That was one of the most entertaining NCAA Tournament games I can ever recall. Seriously, how far back do you have to go to top that one?
Duke-Kentucky in 1992....

Indiana-Duke 2002

Past three UClA-Gonzaga games have been epic: 2006, 2019 and this year.

Pure entertinament wise---1983 Lousiville-Houston. Like 420 dunks.

I think it legit might be the best individual tourney performance I’ve ever seen.

Steph had a couple of doozies too. He scored 40 against Gonzaga, including 30 in the second half, on 8-10 shooting from 3. Also had 5 steals. But that was only the first round. Then he goes for 30 against Georgetown to rally from like a 15 point deficit and then 33 against Wisky.

Harold “The Show” Arceneaux was electric against UNC, with 36 including 5-7 from deep. But again, it was just the first round so hard to give it the same weight as Sweet 16. He went for 32 and 9 boards in the second round against UF but they lost in OT. He pulls that off and maybe I’d give him the nod.

So yeah, Nowell might at least be the best in the last 25 years.

The West Virginia/Wake Forest double OT game in 2005 was wild and I would say tops the game last night.

And that same year in the Elite 8 you had Illinois come back from down like 15 with 3 min to go to get to OT and beat Arizona by 1. That was an all time great one.

So I’d say no further than 2005. But last night was still a classic.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Laettner. 1992. KY game.

/thread
Great game oviously, but not as good as Nowell. Laettner's 10/10 from the field and 9/9 from the line for 31pts is amazing, but the rest of his stat line is nothing special including the 5 turnovers.

Nowell accounted for 40-60 pts last night between his scoring and assists. Laettner not even clsoe to that. Throw in the 5 steals and only 2 TO and I think it's clearyNowell.

Last edited:
Great game oviously, but not as good as Nowell. Laettner's 10/10 from the field and 9/9 from the line for 31pts is amazing, but the rest of his stat line is nothing special including the 5 turnovers.

Nowell accounted for 40-60 pts last night between his scoring and assists. Laettner not even clsoe to that. Throw in the 5 steals and only 2 TO and I think it's clearyNowell.

Not sure how many TOs Nowell had, but those 40 ft threes he was jacking near the end were just as bad as turnovers. He was damn lucky that the last one was allegedly tipped.

A few here....

Manning vs OU----31 points, 18 rebounds, 5 steals, 3 blocks.

Benson vs UK(1975)---33 points, 23 rebounds, 5 steals.(13-18 shooting)

Magic vs Penn in 1979 FF---29/10/10 and 4 steals: Note---He also had a triple double in their 1st round game----13/17/10

Oscar Robertson----43 points, 14 rebounds----NCAA did keep track of assist then. But dude averaged a triple double in the league, so safe to say he probably had a few.

Elvin Hayes had 49 points and 27 rebounds vs Loyola in 1968..

Curry had 40 vs Gonzaga----But story here, is 30 of those came in 2nd half...

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
Not sure how many TOs Nowell had, but those 40 ft threes he was jacking near the end were just as bad as turnovers. He was damn lucky that the last one was allegedly tipped.

Still crying like a little bytch over your early exit, KU girly man. Jealousy of your superior is not a good trait. You can always say "Wait 'til next year'.Better get used to it.

• Haha

I hated Laettner, but nothing will compare to him in that game imo. The stage was ten times that of a KState-Mich State game and the stakes were much higher.

• Love
Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
I hated Laettner, but nothing will compare to him in that game imo. The stage was ten times that of a KState-Mich State game and the stakes were much higher.
The stakes were not much higher. One was an elite 8 game and one was a S16 game. I'd say the stakes were slightly higher if at all. And to say the stage was 10x higher is laughable. S16 game in the Garden is a pretty large stage.

And you can't say nothing will compare to Laettner since Bill Walton had a better game with much higher stakes when he had 44 pts on 21/22 shooting along with 13 boards in the national title game.

Reactions: asindc
The stakes were not much higher. One was an elite 8 game and one was a S16 game. I'd say the stakes were slightly higher if at all. And to say the stage was 10x higher is laughable. S16 game in the Garden is a pretty large stage.

And you can't say nothing will compare to Laettner since Bill Walton had a better game with much higher stakes when he had 44 pts on 21/22 shooting along with 13 boards in the national title game.
I'm not gonna defend Laettner. Don't care enough to. But you're wrong. If Duke fans care enough, they can chime in. Ha.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield

Still crying like a little bytch over your early exit, KU girly man. Jealousy of your superior is not a good trait. You can always say "Wait 'til next year'.Better get used to it.

Bwahahaha......

Actually, I was just pointing out a fact. Not the least bit jealous. We're the champs. You don't know what that word means.

But you're right about something. Being jealous of your superior isn't a good trait. You should consider that before spouting off at fans of a program that is 100x better than yours will ever be. I've actually been rooting for K-State. Do you think you insecure little betas would ever root for KU? 🤣

Last edited:
I'm not gonna defend Laettner. Don't care enough to. But you're wrong. If Duke fans care enough, they can chime in. Ha.
I love Laettner, one of my all time favorite players and was a massive fan of that team. But he didn't have a better game than Bill Walton in the 73 championship.

Reactions: asindc
Stakes are the same rather it be 1st round, or the national title game. Its a sibgle elimination tournament.

Now if this were the NBA, and your team was down 2-0,then I could see the stakes being higher than that of Game 1....

So 10-10 is better than 21-22?

Naaaah...

Shit I could argue Mashburn was better(that night): 28 points(11-16, 3-4 from three, 3-3 from the line) , 10 rebounds, 3 assist, 2 steals, with NO TRNOVERS---Laettner had 31/7/3/2---but had 5 turnovers, and didn't handle the ball nowhere near as Mash did. Laettner gave UK 5 extra possesions in a one point game---Mash gave them none.

NOTE----Keep this in mind. In 1973 dunking was against the rules. Walton had 4 baskets wiped off due to this. Otherwise, he would have had 52 points, on 25-26 shooting.

Why were the stakes that much higher? It wasn’t even a Final Four game.

Obviously Laettner had an all time classic game. The shot is legendary and the 10/10 performance is great. But when you start looking at some of the stat lines and performances mentioned here, and even just by Nowell last night, it’s not on the same level. Nowell literally set a new NCAAT record.

I’m really gonna have to do this? Lol. Defending National champs being coached by the GOAT vs the greatest program of all time. Two blue bloods playing to go to the final four. Meanwhile KState vs Mich State to get to the E8. Bahahahha. Gtfo.

If you want Walton’s game fine. Have at it. But I’ll take the modern era miracle. My main contention is that last night’s game doesn’t touch it. The performance was up there sure, but laettner’s was a bigger stage and higher stakes. But whatever. F Laettner.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT