ADVERTISEMENT

the enduring pain of Dick Vitale

cooljeff

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2003
Team
Kansas
anyone read that article in The Athletic? I was not certain Seth Davis could write any more bu tit is a very good article. Takes you back to a time when Dickie V doing a game just meant it was big time.

Highlights of the article: suggests that far from being a phony, the act is straight up Dick Vitale and that is how he is 24/7...talks a lot about how hard loss hits him and gives quite a bit of details on his tireless work for pediatric cancer.

It was really difficult to watch him for about a decade as it seemed that he had become a caricature and I think it is natural to tire of anyone's act after a while...I think he has stepped up his game a bit lately and regardless the dude is a good guy by all accounts even if he is a bit annoying.

He seems a LOT like Bono to me.

Reactions: Noahtogo24
Dickie V reminds me of late stage John Madden. No substance, very schticky, and still strangely endearing. Him, Raftery, and Packer were the voices that came with every big game growing up. But if I hadn't grown up with them and have that enduring connection, I'd despise each.

Reactions: cooljeff
Dickie V isn't worth the seeds and stems in Bill Walton's ashtray.

Dickie V reminds me of late stage John Madden. No substance, very schticky, and still strangely endearing. Him, Raftery, and Packer were the voices that came with every big game growing up. But if I hadn't grown up with them and have that enduring connection, I'd despise each.

I agree with this, except the “still strangely endearing.” I mute his ass now.

ADVERTISEMENT