ADVERTISEMENT

The downplaying of UNCs run

Villian07

Aug 11, 2015
I just want to put into context how amazing this run has been by UNC. Ive read on here how they should have been a 2-3 seed on here and how well they played down the stretch, which they did indeed. And how anyone could have seen it coming etc etc.

But besides beating Duke @ cameron they didnt do anything down the stretch sans beat bad teams.

2/16 LOST TO PITT
2/19 beat Vtech
2/21 beat louisville
2/26 beat ncstate
2/28 beat cuse in Ot
Then of course Won @ duke last game

Blasted uva then lost by 13 to vtech in accc semis

Im not sayingn all this to shit on UNC, quite the opposite, just pointing out what an amazing run they have been on this tournament and how much props should be given to Coach Davis and staff. Plus sans st pete, theyve had as difficult path as anyone.

I just want to put into context how amazing this run has been by UNC. Ive read on here how they should have been a 2-3 seed on here and how well they played down the stretch, which they did indeed. And how anyone could have seen it coming etc etc.

But besides beating Duke @ cameron they didnt do anything down the stretch sans beat bad teams.

2/16 LOST TO PITT
2/19 beat Vtech
2/21 beat louisville
2/26 beat ncstate
2/28 beat cuse in Ot

Im not sayingn all this to shit on UNC, quite the opposite, just pointing out what an amazing run they have been on this tournament and how much props should be given to Coach Davis and staff. Plus sans st pete, theyve had as difficult path as anyone.
Its always easy to say a team should have been this or that, after the fact----But the fact is, they were seeeded correctly. YOa can't just ignore 2+months of so-so basketball, and replace it with the last 2/3 weeks, or so.

Right now Carolina is playing top notch, title winning level hoops---No doubt. Have to tip your cap to HUbert, and the staff, BUT............cannot overlook that all of the sudden, Love and Davis have transformed into elite level guards....And that Bacot has finally decided to show up.

THis is a very good team right now----but it doesn't erase Nov, Dec and Jan...

Bacot has been pretty great all year. Love and Davis playing like elite guards and the overall D, especially from Leaky, has been the difference. Plus, it seems Hubert clearly altered some things until he found what worked with this group.

Yea its davis and love to me, esp love. He was no where near this good most of the season, kudos to kid for stepping up when it matters.

Yea its davis and love to me, esp love. He was no where near this good most of the season, kudos to kid for stepping up when it matters.

Love was just wildly inconsistent all season. He had some strong games and would follow them up with duds

This UNC run reminds me of IU 20 years ago under Mike Davis who took over for Bob Knight. Granted he was in his "quote" second season that year. They were 19-10 in the regular season and somehow grabbed a 5 seed. They rode that all the way to the NCAA Championship Game.

Like that IU squad I think UNC falls short but it won't be for lack of support. I'm rooting for the Heels to get it done. I really enjoy watching this team.

Love was just wildly inconsistent all season. He had some strong games and would follow them up with duds

Someone showed this stat on Twitter. All season Love really struggled shooting with the quick turn around game including in the NCAAs (combined 7/23 vs Baylor and St Peters). On the season UNC had 9 games where they had a 2 day or less turnaround. In those games Love only shot over 40% once (42% vs Syracuse) and on the season combined only 30% in those for the season. I know you can usually throw trends out the window in a 1 game playoff but will be interesting to watch that trend for tomorrow night and see if Love has some tired legs and struggles to shoot.

Bacot has been pretty great all year. Love and Davis playing like elite guards and the overall D, especially from Leaky, has been the difference. Plus, it seems Hubert clearly altered some things until he found what worked with this group.
Couple more rebounds a game and he’s on par with Oscar T. Which is pretty amazing in itself he averaged 16/13.

2/16 LOST TO PITT
2/19 beat Vtech
2/21 beat louisville
2/26 beat ncstate
2/28 beat cuse in Ot

They passed the eye test to me, which is why I picked them in the Elite 8 over Baylor and UCLA...........

ADVERTISEMENT