ADVERTISEMENT

The biggest loser in UK vs Tennessee

ThePhog08

Gold Member
May 2, 2008
Sahvir Wheeler

They beat a top 5 team on the road with out.

Man just lost his starting role?

Reactions: AWilli6995
Sahvir Wheeler

I don’t trust cal to make the obvious decision on that. Everyone…fans, media, analysts, data, have been saying all season that Wallace, Fredrick, Reeves, Toppin, Tshiebwe was our best lineup and they had only played 20 minutes together. I think that lineup outscored UT 29-14 today. Inexplicably it’s the first time it’s gotten extended minutes all season and it was almost out of pure necessity because of wheeler not being available.

I’m thrilled with getting a top 5 road win. It could go a long way in at least salvaging a bid. But one game gives me no delusions going forward. Gotta see more

Sahvir Wheeler

He's has sucked for a good part of his career at UK. He gets some assist but is a walking TO and cripples UK's half court offense as his man sags and clogs the lane.

If Cal was smart, he'd keep him on the bench and playing reserve minutes. If it's an open court game, maybe he plays more but otherwise 10-15 minutes as a change of pace guy. But we all know Cal is too stubborn and has his favorites. So Wheeler will be back to playing 30 minutes as soon as he's able to..

Reactions: Random UK Fan
I just posted that in another thread about Wheeler, that's crazy.
He has been the punching bag for fans and now the mentality that today justified it is tough. I think UK wouldve won no matter what. UT was so off and UK was so locked in

He has been the punching bag for fans and now the mentality that today justified it is tough. I think UK wouldve won no matter what. UT was so off and UK was so locked in

Wheeler at times plays out of control so I can see why UK fans are annoyed with him. UT is a physical team and they foul alot but that's how Barnes coaches. When he was at Clemson they played the same style, rough and physical. Tournament time rolls around and if the refs are calling a tight game, that's not going to bode well for UT.

Wheeler still has a place in the court. He just needs to be the backup pg. He has a few moments when he does great then other times he is bad.

I say he will still start when he is healthy, which will anger the fan base again but it will be hard for Cal to bench him.

I really don't care if Wheeler starts or not. But his minutes need to be reduced 100%.

Honestly Cal needs to find a starting lineup that is going to come out with energy. In all the big games UK has started the game in like a 10 point deficit. Luckily we got back in it quick today after we got down 8-0.

I’d put wheeler in when the other teams defense is winded. Dude can run, but not necessarily with the ball. He’s run first/ think last. I like Wheeler, and he probably would’ve provided more than Wallace did today, but Wallace has back issues for a couple of games now.

Reactions: I am stupid
Especially if we are dominant rebounding. When they are tired, resting Wallace or even just to change the flow a little put Wheeler in let him fly for a few minutes.

It sounds like the UK fans hate him but they don't, they just dislike how he is being used.

No one cheered harder or beat Dwight off
200w.gif

I don't think the win today had anything to do with Wheeler not playing. UK won this thing through defense. Defense is all about ebergy and toughness. Our guys hit free throws today. What would the record be if this had been the norm. They rebounded. Again about energy and toughness. UK certainly didn't have a good game shooting. Wheeler, like him or not, provides toughness and energy.

This team must play defense like this night in night out and do the other things that require effort.

Just think if they play this hard every game, then a good shooting night happens. I pity the team they're playing 😁😉

Kansas maybe?

Wasn't going to say anything, but if someone bumped all his threads, it would paint a picture for sure.
You goons are why this place is boring as hell now adays. You post nothing interesting. Your a$$ team is interesting and when people post about it you goon up about obsession. Why don't post something of worth or go back to loserville on the rafters

I'll go with Tennessee, but we are kicking y'all's ass in Lexington.

Kentucky shot 35% and had 19 turnovers, not a real gauge for changing their point guard.
Cal kills me sometimes. So many of those turnovers were our guys trying to force feed Oscar, who was triple teamed.

Not only that, but Cason was dealing with back spasms and this game was played at Tennessee, who has the #1 rated defense in the country.

Lastly, Wheeler is a turnover machine himself. What's worse is he can’t guard his position, Cason can. He can also rebound.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
I don’t trust cal to make the obvious decision on that. Everyone…fans, media, analysts, data, have been saying all season that Wallace, Fredrick, Reeves, Toppin, Tshiebwe was our best lineup and they had only played 20 minutes together. I think that lineup outscored UT 29-14 today. Inexplicably it’s the first time it’s gotten extended minutes all season and it was almost out of pure necessity because of wheeler not being available.

I’m thrilled with getting a top 5 road win. It could go a long way in at least salvaging a bid. But one game gives me no delusions going forward. Gotta see more
This......Does Cal revert back when Wheeler is healthy? I think he does. History says so. I mean when is the last time Cal benched his starting PG? Or made changes(line-up)?

Its weird. But as you said, as my brother has said for over a month----even my wife----Our best 5 is Cason, Reeves, Fredrick, Toppin and Oscar. But until today they have seen limited time together.,

I got home and I was like---"good wins today for both of us...."---Shes like, Yeah, but............Cal will implant Wheeler right back in there when he is healthy.

I have no reason to like or dislike wheeler. If I’m coaching or a fan of UK. You want anyone and everyone taking wheelers minutes. It drastically eliminates constant negatives.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Wheeler can still get a good share of the minutes, just not 30+. The offense just doesn't run as well with him at the point and his dribbling out the shot clock and throwing something up is not a recipe for success.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
I am not trying to spoil the party, but KU wasn't great vs tenn... Tenn really beat themselves in a lot of ways. UK isnt a great scoring team , there was no reason for UT's entire starting 5 to have 2 fouls each at halftime. Also UT was gawd awful rebounding the ball. They didn't rebound , they turned it over, and overly fouled everyone for no reason.

UK shot 35% from FG 31% from 3 and had 19 turnovers. IF someone told you that before the game you'd have thought UK lost by 30 . This team still isn't good. Lets see where UK goes from here.

I am not trying to spoil the party, but KU wasn't great vs tenn... Tenn really beat themselves in a lot of ways. UK isnt a great scoring team , there was no reason for UT's entire starting 5 to have 2 fouls each at halftime. Also UT was gawd awful rebounding the ball. They didn't rebound , they turned it over, and overly fouled everyone for no reason.

UK shot 35% from FG 31% from 3 and had 19 turnovers. IF someone told you that before the game you'd have thought UK lost by 30 . This team still isn't good. Lets see where UK goes from here.
Jesus, what game were you watching? All ut did was try to hack, grab, bump, whatever word you want to use to describe 'foul' The big goon in the middle literally took a running start to try to throw a shoulder/forearm into Oscar and was only called a for a common foul. The vols earned the fouls that got called. They try that shit again in Rupp and the same result will happen.

You're not spoiling any party. The lineup of Wallace, Reeves, CJ, Toppin, Oscar outscored UT 28-14 and had an offensive rating of 1.07. Find another 5 combo that's rated higher and Wallace was playing with a bad back.

After the original excitement and enthusiasm this is where I stand. Also If they make a few of those wide open layups UK loses.

So a good win, but I'm gonna wait and see the next few games before I get too excited.

Jesus, what game were you watching? All ut did was try to hack, grab, bump, whatever word you want to use to describe 'foul' The big goon in the middle literally took a running start to try to throw a shoulder/forearm into Oscar and was only called a for a common foul. The vols earned the fouls that got called. They try that shit again in Rupp and the same result will happen.
I agree. UT were goons and they didn't need to be to win. This game was more about UT being idiots than UK being good.

We got an uncharacteristically good whistle in that game. we shot more than twice as ma h free throws than them. And while i agrée they were the more physical team and the fouls reflected that, how often can we say that in a road game let alone in knoxville. That and then missing several point blank shots were keys.

Doesn’t take away from how much i enjoyed the win though. It’s still a w

ADVERTISEMENT