ADVERTISEMENT

THE ACC SCHOOLS ALL WANT OUT OF THE ACC

BasketBallJunkie-UK

Nov 18, 2011
While most college football media and fans have been chasing Big 12 and Pac-12 expansion and realignment rumors, the truth of the matter is this: the future battles in college football expansion aren’t going to be fought in the Big 12 or the Pac-12, they’re going to be fought in the ACC. Because pretty much every ACC school wants to leave the ACC for the SEC or the Big Ten and unlike the Big 12 and the Pac 12, many ACC schools have substantial expansion value to both the SEC and the Big Ten. And there are two schools in particular, the University of Virginia and the University of North Carolina, who will help to drive the next generation of college football expansion. I’ll discuss that below in a moment, but first let’s begin here: top ACC schools recognize that the future of college football is the SEC and the Big Ten and they want out of the ACC.

LINK

I don't see it happening. SEC has already said within the last few days they are set with 16 (at least for now), once Texas and OU join. I suspect the Big 10 will settle on 16, too, with UCLA and USC being the last they add. Only thing I see changing that would be potentially adding Notre Dame and one more to even out the members. Once you get any bigger than that the scheduling wouldn't make sense. You'd have teams in the same conference going 5-6 years without playing each other in some sports.

tumblr_mht21osmaC1s3fqgbo1_400.gif

ACC schools are stuck with a crappy tv deal and want out for that reason. I think the exit cost is prohibitively expensive, but I expect those other conferences will be willing to pick up the tab for the big dogs.
We'll trade you Vandy, Mizzou, South Carolina, and $59 worth of buffalo nickels for Florida State, Miami, and Clemson. Other than that, no deal.

ACC schools are stuck with a crappy tv deal and want out for that reason. I think the exit cost is prohibitively expensive, but I expect those other conferences will be willing to pick up the tab for the big dogs.

That's a lot of money to payout. I think they're more likely to wait the ACC out

Reactions: brooky03
This weird conference realignment and too heavy two conference deal is going to probably make me watch way more pro sports tbh.

That's a lot of money to payout. I think they're more likely to wait the ACC out
That is why there will be a negotiated settlement rather than wait 14 years for the current agreement to expire. ACC teams currently receive $33 million in media money ... a team potentially negotiate a settlement with an annual payment to the conference of $33 million per season until the agreement ends in 2036 (even with some annual escalator). In the meantime the program would be receiving $80-100 MM in the new conference, deducting the $33MM and netting the difference. Better than remaining. Just one scenario ... good negotiators can get a deal done.

We’re in full rebuild mode brah, and NBA is a far superior product. Not even close.
I think that speaks more towards the state of college basketball than it does the quality of the NBA. IMO. I continue to watch college because I have hope for it. I don't watch the NBA because all hope is lost. That's obviously just my personal opinion. We all have different taste.

I think that speaks more towards the state of college basketball than it does the quality of the NBA. IMO. I continue to watch college because I have hope for it. I don't watch the NBA because all hope is lost. That's obviously just my personal opinion. We all have different taste.
Agreed. I still love college ball, just not a fan of the direction it’s headed. For Phil and co to say “nba is trash” without really knowing anything about the current NBA is somewhat laughable boomer speech. With that being said, I can understand why some still prefer college bball, as most on this board including myself would still be considered major fanatics. I just think the realignment and new formation of unregulated NIL and transfer portal are killing the sport. Jmo. Obv will still watch, it just isn’t the same for me. It’s losing its luster and charm.

Reactions: Villian07
I don't see it happening. SEC has already said within the last few days they are set with 16 (at least for now), once Texas and OU join. I suspect the Big 10 will settle on 16, too, with UCLA and USC being the last they add. Only thing I see changing that would be potentially adding Notre Dame and one more to even out the members. Once you get any bigger than that the scheduling wouldn't make sense. You'd have teams in the same conference going 5-6 years without playing each other in some sports.
I talked to @IUfanBorden Borden for 2 & 1/2 hours yesterday and this was part of the discussion. We came to the same base conclusion. UCLA and USC to the Big 10 and Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC really tops out a reasonable size for any conference.

The Pac 12, Big 12 and ACC have a lot of decisions to make. Folks for decades have been told by ESPN, CBS et.al. that the Pac 12, ACC and Big 12 were on a par with the Big 10 and the SEC and we all knew it was not true. When two of the top Pac 12 decide to go to the Big 10 and two of the top Big 12 decide to go to the SEC just shines the spotlight on the mistruths we have been told.

After the Big 10 and SEC get to 16 teams it is going to be fun the watch the shuffling and the lies being told by the media to tell everyone that the other conferences are similar to the Big 10 and SEC.

That is why there will be a negotiated settlement rather than wait 14 years for the current agreement to expire. ACC teams currently receive $33 million in media money ... a team potentially negotiate a settlement with an annual payment to the conference of $33 million per season until the agreement ends in 2036 (even with some annual escalator). In the meantime the program would be receiving $80-100 MM in the new conference, deducting the $33MM and netting the difference. Better than remaining. Just one scenario ... good negotiators can get a deal done.

Not sure the ACC has any motivation to negotiate the GOR just so it's most valuable assets can leave

Agreed. I still love college ball, just not a fan of the direction it’s headed. For Phil and co to say “nba is trash” without really knowing anything about the current NBA is somewhat laughable boomer speech. With that being said, I can understand why some still prefer college bball, as most on this board including myself would still be considered major fanatics. I just think the realignment and new formation of unregulated NIL and transfer portal are killing the sport. Jmo. Obv will still watch, it just isn’t the same for me. It’s losing its luster and charm.
It’s always funny when olds trash the NBA. It’s by far the most popular sport w kids. It isn’t really close. College basketball is all but dead. Saying that, give me college hoops all day, but that’s cause I’ve become and old (46). 😉

It’s always funny when olds trash the NBA. It’s by far the most popular sport w kids. It isn’t really close. College basketball is all but dead. Saying that, give me college hoops all day, but that’s cause I’ve become and old (46). 😉
Popular has nothing to do with the product on the court. It has all to do with the marketing and branding off the court. The actual playing of the sport in the NBA is awful until the playoffs and then it isn't that good until the 4th quarter.

They are that best athletes on. the planet but it doesn't translate into good hoops..

Popular has nothing to do with the product on the court. It has all to do with the marketing and branding off the court. The actual playing of the sport in the NBA is awful until the playoffs and then it isn't that good until the 4th quarter.

They are that best athletes on. the planet but it doesn't translate into good hoops..
Lol yes it does.

What does the NBA have to do with college football realignment? I live for college football in the Fall and haven't watched an NBA game in 20 years.
So you admit you don’t know what you’re talking about. Got it.

I’m getting there 😂…

I just laugh at the “nba is trash”

…but “I haven’t watched a game in 20 years”

Wut

So you admit you don’t know what you’re talking about. Got it.
Hey genius ... check the title of the thread ... ACC schools want out of the conference ... topic is college football conference realignment. As far as I am concerned the NBA can fold and it doesn't impact this thread.

Hey genius ... check the title of the thread ... ACC schools want out of the conference ... topic is college football conference realignment. As far as I am concerned the NBA can fold and it doesn't impact this thread.
Lol Idc what the title of this thread is, calm your tits. Also a realignment affects both sports. Especially when you’re consolidating teams to form two mega conferences. The nba won’t fold, but it sure as hell seems like then ncaa is headed in that direction…

Genius.

Besides, this is the college basketball board. So obviously the thread is for basketball fans. Just because the purpose of destroying college basketball by realigning conferences is focused on football, doesn't mean it has nothing to do with basketball. Nothing like condescendingly calling someone a genius while looking like a complete fool.

Anyone that thinks that college kids play a higher form of basketball in any facet of the game is a complete moron.

Lol Idc what the title of this thread is, calm your tits. Also a realignment affects both sports. Especially when you’re consolidating teams to form two mega conferences. The nba won’t fold, but it sure as hell seems like then ncaa is headed in that direction…

Genius.
Sure it impacts all sports ... but nobody is realigning conferences even giving more than a passing thought to basketball. The realignment is 100% driven by college football (or what used to be called college football).

Sure it impacts all sports ... but nobody is realigning conferences even giving more than a passing thought to basketball. The realignment is 100% driven by college football (or what used to be called college football).
Who said it didn’t? You came in this thread with the jerk off attitude.

Yeah $, football, TV might be driving it all but I don't see why we can't talk about the impact realignment is gonna have on college basketball on the college basketball board?

Reactions: 289fia
ADVERTISEMENT