ADVERTISEMENT

The 2020/2021 ACC regular season thread

In the past 24 hours Clemson has secured commitments from two top-100 recruits in PJ Hall and Olivier-Maxence Prosper. They're going to have a solid team in 2021. Baehre and Trapp hopefully will be healthy by then. And the Forham transfer will be eligible, too.

Reactions: Fox Glove Tiger
In the past 24 hours Clemson has secured commitments from two top-100 recruits in PJ Hall and Olivier-Maxence Prosper. They're going to have a solid team in 2021. Baehre and Trapp hopefully will be healthy by then. And the Forham transfer will be eligible, too.

Sounds like the ACC could be filthy in 2021. FSU could be very good, and if Patrick Williams decides to return for a second year...maybe top 10 good.

Sounds like the ACC could be filthy in 2021. FSU could be very good, and if Patrick Williams decides to return for a second year...maybe top 10 good.

I think so. 2020 appears to be a down year, at least in terms of depth. 2021 looks much, much more promising. Duke and UNC should have 2 of the top 3 classes. Louisville, Florida State, and Virginia could all easily be in the top 15. Syracuse, Virginia Tech, Clemson, Miami and Pitt have promising pieces where any of them have realistic shots at a 2021 NCAA bid. Not sure about Notre Dame and NC State, as they'll both be losing several seniors. Georgia Tech could be decent if Pastner can keep his team intact. Expect more of the same for BC and Wake. But overall, yes, I think 2021 could be a very good year for the ACC.

I think so. 2020 appears to be a down year, at least in terms of depth. 2021 looks much, much more promising. Duke and UNC should have 2 of the top 3 classes. Louisville, Florida State, and Virginia could all easily be in the top 15. Syracuse, Virginia Tech, Clemson, Miami and Pitt have promising pieces where any of them have realistic shots at a 2021 NCAA bid. Not sure about Notre Dame and NC State, as they'll both be losing several seniors. Georgia Tech could be decent if Pastner can keep his team intact. Expect more of the same for BC and Wake. But overall, yes, I think 2021 could be a very good year for the ACC.

Well said.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Baehre could be back in December and Trapp in January. We are waiting to see if Nick Honor and Khavon Moore will be eligible this year.

We are kinda of a mystery team with 7 new players on our roster. They played great in Italy in July but not sure how great the competition was but it was very encouraging. As a Clemson basketball fan for over 40 years I keep my expectations at a low level.

I like their coach. Seems like a solid tough guy. They're never easy to play.

Baehre could be back in December and Trapp in January. We are waiting to see if Nick Honor and Khavon Moore will be eligible this year.

We are kinda of a mystery team with 7 new players on our roster. They played great in Italy in July but not sure how great the competition was but it was very encouraging. As a Clemson basketball fan for over 40 years I keep my expectations at a low level.

Interesting. I thought I read they were both out for the season. If you guys have Bahere, Trapp, Moore, and Honor available, you should have a fairly decent season. Seems like Moore would be a great candidate for a waiver as he played only 2 minutes, Tech used all of its scholarships, and he moved close to home. To date, only 8 of the 56 waiver appeals have been denied.

Interesting. I thought I read they were both out for the season. If you guys have Bahere, Trapp, Moore, and Honor available, you should have a fairly decent season. Seems like Moore would be a great candidate for a waiver as he played only 2 minutes, Tech used all of its scholarships, and he moved close to home. To date, only 8 of the 56 waiver appeals have been denied.

Clemson basketball has been compared to a small market baseball team like the Oakland A’s in baseball. You can win but everything needs to go right-no injuries and hit on the 3 star type of recruits.

We need Aamir Simms, Tevin Mack and Johnny Newman to carry us offensively. It would be huge to get Khavon Moore cleared and Jonathan Baehre back as we are so thin in the post. Baehre has been practicing but can’t cut on his knee yet. We need Honor with Trapp’s injury or we are relying on some talented but freshman guards.

Bottom line we have only been to 2 NCAA tournaments the last 9 years and Brownell needs to get us there this year or next year. In the last 15 one point games we are 1-14. Thank the good Lord for football.

Clemson basketball has been compared to a small market baseball team like the Oakland A’s in baseball. You can win but everything needs to go right-no injuries and hit on the 3 star type of recruits.

We need Aamir Simms, Tevin Mack and Johnny Newman to carry us offensively. It would be huge to get Khavon Moore cleared and Jonathan Baehre back as we are so thin in the post. Baehre has been practicing but can’t cut on his knee yet. We need Honor with Trapp’s injury or we are relying on some talented but freshman guards.

Bottom line we have only been to 2 NCAA tournaments the last 9 years and Brownell needs to get us there this year or next year. In the last 15 one point games we are 1-14. Thank the good Lord for football.

Yeah, you guys had crazy bad luck last year. Off the top of my head, I recall the NC State, Miami, and Louisville games. Seems like all of those games were determined within the final few seconds. Can't help but think how good you would have been had Zion played for Clemson. Easily a top 25 team, possibly playing in the second weekend.

While you are a smaller market, I still think you can haul in a fair amount of 4-star recruits. Top 100 kids like to play for schools with great football programs. The SEC is certainly picking up quite a few talented prospects. And while that's probably more related to the elite-level coaches, having a good football program doesn't hurt. A good chunk of the official visits occur in the fall where attending a football game is a part of the weekend activities.

Yeah, you guys had crazy bad luck last year. Off the top of my head, I recall the NC State, Miami, and Louisville games. Seems like all of those games were determined within the final few seconds. Can't help but think how good you would have been had Zion played for Clemson. Easily a top 25 team, possibly playing in the second weekend.

While you are a smaller market, I still think you can haul in a fair amount of 4-star recruits. Top 100 kids like to play for schools with great football programs. The SEC is certainly picking up quite a few talented prospects. And while that's probably more related to the elite-level coaches, having a good football program doesn't hurt. A good chunk of the official visits occur in the fall where attending a football game is a part of the weekend activities.
Putting $65 million into our basketball facilities three years ago was what Brownell really needed. He has one of the hardest jobs in the ACC like Duke in football but you can still find a way to win. I would like to see us over a 5 year period go to 2 to 3 NCAA tournaments. Losing Zion and Josiah James really hurt. If we would have missed on PJ Hall our rivals board would have melt down.

Last edited:
Putting $65 million into our basketball facilities three years ago was what Brownell really needed. He has one of the hardest jobs in the ACC like Duke in football but you can still find a way to win. I would like to see us over a 5 year period go to 2 to 3 NCAA tournaments. Losing Zion and Josiah James really hurt. If we would have missed on PJ Hall our rivals board would have melt down.

Y’alls new facilities definitely look nice. I don’t see why Clemson can’t be as good as FSU is in hoops if you get the right coaching staff in.

Y’alls new facilities definitely look nice. I don’t see why Clemson can’t be as good as FSU is in hoops if you get the right coaching staff in.
It comes down to recruiting and we have been nowhere close to FSU the past few years. This year and last years class have been solid. I can give Brownell a pass when our facilities were so bad but we need to see results within the next two years.

It comes down to recruiting and we have been nowhere close to FSU the past few years. This year and last years class have been solid. I can give Brownell a pass when our facilities were so bad but we need to see results within the next two years.

Right. That’s what I meant by “the right coaching staff.” College basketball coaches have to be able to recruit, period.

What I’m saying is, FSU’s facilities aren’t any better, in fact might be worse. And both are “football schools.” So I don’t see why Clemson couldn’t have the same success as FSU, if y’all were able to bring in the right staff. Staff doesn’t just mean head coach.

Well, Clemson has at least one more eligible player. Good chance he starts from day one, I would imagine.

He won’t start this year as he is overcoming a bad leg injury from last year. We need his height in the post and if he can give us 15 minutes a game that will be a plus. Hopefully next year he can live up to his high school accolades.

They could be significantly improved and still finish outside the top 5 next year.

Good chance of that, actually. ACC had 5 teams make the Sweet 16 in 2015, 2016, and 2019 (6 in 2016). Probably going to see something similar in 2021.

Reactions: Quavarius
Good chance of that, actually. ACC had 5 teams make the Sweet 16 in 2015, 2016, and 2019 (6 in 2016). Probably going to see something similar in 2021.
Just curious, How many made the Elite 8? I'm always curious when ppl use S16 stats. It's not even Regional finals. might as well say they made it to the 2nd weekend.

Just curious, How many made the Elite 8? I'm always curious when ppl use S16 stats. It's not even Regional finals. might as well say they made it to the 2nd weekend.

Maybe for a school like Kentucky or Duke. But for many programs a Sweet 16 appearance is a really good season.

I don’t know the exact answer to your question, but I think I recall a couple ACC teams knocking out other ACC teams.

7 different ACC schools have made the Regional Finals in the last 5 seasons. 11 schools have made the S16 in the same time frame. Here are the Regional Finals from the past 5 seasons:

2015 (3)- Duke, Notre Dame, Louisville
2016 (4) - UNC, Syracuse, Virginia, Notre Dame
2017 (1) - UNC
2018 (2) - Duke, Florida State
2019 (2) - Virginia, Duke

ACC has had 30% of the Elite 8 appearances since 2015 (12/40). I think 2020 might be a down season for our conference, but 2021 should be stacked.

Just for fun, here are the total number of regional final appearances by conference, from 2015-2019:

ACC- 12
Big XII- 7
SEC- 6
Big Ten- 5
Big East- 3
Pac 12- 3
WCC- 3
MVC- 1

I would have expected the Big Ten to maybe have 1 or 2 more, but honestly that’s pretty much as expected.

Can someone tell me why the ACC is playing conference games day one?

30 of the top 50 recruits have made a verbal commitment. 14 of those 30 guys are going to ACC schools. That's good, right?

Reactions: Quavarius
Surprise to see Notre Dame up at half- should be tough competition for Maryland next month.

Good win. Ryan Murphy looks like a really nice addition. I think you guys should at least be an NIT team this year. Now go represent the ACC and beat West Virginia.
Thanks DD, nice win over KU last night. I’d gladly take an NIT bid; Would be a step in the right direction.

We have a chance to rep the ACC pretty well in non-conference play. We play WVU, Rutgers in the ACC/B1G challenge, and then K-State. I’m hoping we can win two of those three.

Let’s go Pitt! Good luck tonight Noles fans. Can’t wait to see our new and improved team with the new (old) colors.

Ugly game with tons of whistles, but y’all found a way to get it done. Nice job. I’m looking forward to FSU getting healthy.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I know it’s VERY early, but I see the ACC has 5 teams in the Top 12 in defense per KenPom:

1- UVA
3- Duke
4- Louisville
9- FSU
12- UNC

Not sure if the conference has ever been this strong defensively but it could be some low-scoring wars in the months ahead.

Reactions: GE Nole
Can any UL fans tell me how Aiden Aiegihon is doing? I really liked the kid when UK was looking at him. How has he done so far?

@KerryRhodes @UL_1986 , @Steelers2012 , @Villain07
Looking pretty raw offensively, but he’ll get there. He hustles, is super athletic and looks to be a willing learner. It’s hard to gauge just from one game, but as of right now, he needs to work on his post play.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT