ADVERTISEMENT

Thad Matta/UGA

I respect his decision but dont really understand why he showed so much interest in the first place if he isnt ready to coach. Unless he is just BS'ing and looking for a better job

How so? UGA just fired Fox Sunday and this was the first interview. How the hell is it desperate?

It was desperate because Matta would never have lasted more than a few years and there's going to be a lot better places for him if he truly wanted to come back. Sounds like Georgia just couldn't pay him enough to endure the pain. I'd imagine it'll take a lot for Matta to jump back into coaching.

It was desperate because Matta would never have lasted more than a few years and there's going to be a lot better places for him if he truly wanted to come back. Sounds like Georgia just couldn't pay him enough to endure the pain. I'd imagine it'll take a lot for Matta to jump back into coaching.
He wouldve been the second highest paid coach in the SEC wouldnt he? I could be wrong about that but i thought i read that somewhere

He wouldve been the second highest paid coach in the SEC wouldnt he? I could be wrong about that but i thought i read that somewhere

Haven't read that anywhere but let's be honest that's not saying much.

Haven't read that anywhere but let's be honest that's not saying much.
3.2 mil a year would put him right around top 10 in the nation. If he thinks he should get more than that then he probably should just stay retired anyway

3.2 mil a year would put him right around top 10 in the nation. If he thinks he should get more than that then he probably should just stay retired anyway

3.2 mil ain’t shit to sneeze at. He surely isn’t going to make Calipari, K type money.

Its not bad but apparently not enough for Matta to endure the pain, just like i said above. His buyout was $9mil, he gets 100k/month until 6/20. So he's basically getting paid $2mil to coach and put more strain on his back.

Would be hilarious to see Tubby end up back at UGA, but they can do better.
I think Ron Hunter would be a good hire if they could get him to leave Georgia State. But Georgia State is the best basketball program in GA right now haha! they would have to make it worth his while

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Its not bad but apparently not enough for Matta to endure the pain, just like i said above. His buyout was $9mil, he gets 100k/month until 6/20. So he's basically getting paid $2mil to coach and put more strain on his back.
Yea i agree with you if he cant take the pain. All I was saying was if that was the case then he shouldnt have wasted their time anyway unless it is really a $$ thing and he thinks he can get more elsewhere, in which case i think he has a little too high opinion of himself.

Yea i agree with you if he cant take the pain. All I was saying was if that was the case then he shouldnt have wasted their time anyway unless it is really a $$ thing and he thinks he can get more elsewhere, in which case i think he has a little too high opinion of himself.

Honestly its probably just a deal where he wants to coach again, maybe part him trying to appease his buyout, but when it comes down to saying yes he just can't pull the trigger.

Reactions: Wojoman
I am skeptical myself but it sounds like a done deal.

As it pertains to college basketball this is a ho hum item. He's just an above average coach. I don't think he is the type of guy you hire to turn your program around.

ADVERTISEMENT