ADVERTISEMENT

Thad Matta/UGA

ChaneyDawg

Gold Member
Dec 1, 2004
Sounds like things are moving quickly between the two parties. Will be interesting to see how he will do at UGA.

He is a decent coach but was a great recruiter. He can no longer recruit as hard because of his back. Weird hire for UGA.

Reactions: ChaneyDawg
Mark Fox was a hell of a coach at Nevada. Hard to see Matta being that much better.

You don’t have to stand up to coach, why couldn’t he do it from a wheelchair?

You don’t have to stand up to coach, why couldn’t he do it from a wheelchair?

He would not use a wheel chair. He did try different heights of chairs and just about every treatment and operation invented. He has suffered greatly. When healthy he’s a great recruiter and you won’t outcoach him in a game.

Mark Fox was a hell of a coach at Nevada. Hard to see Matta being that much better.
Mark Fox wasnt that great at all. He made the NCAA 2 times in 9 years in what was probably the most down the SEC has been in a long time. UGA was ranked in the top 25 a total of 1 week in his tenure, and that was 24. He is ok at coaching up mediocre players to play better than they are but he also made plenty of in game coaching mistakes, including some big ones this year. Georgia is one of the best states in the country as far as churning out 5 start talent and they are all leaving the state. It makes perfect sense that UGA is hiring someone with a reputation of being a good recruiter. Now if the university would cooperate some and invest in the team a little bit Matta could possibly catch some nice recruits and field some good teams. Its worth a try because Fox couldnt recruit. His time was up. He would do much better at a mid-major.

Reactions: untouchableobu
I am sure you are an expert. Where do you coach?
Clever. I’m not a coach, but when you continually have to chunk it to the opposite side of the court when you’re under the basket because you have one guy moving without the ball, it’s not real hard to see something is wrong with that picture. But yeah, Fox is an outstanding coach..

Clever. I’m not a coach, but when you continually have to chunk it to the opposite side of the court when you’re under the basket because you have one guy moving without the ball, it’s not real hard to see something is wrong with that picture. But yeah, Fox is an outstanding coach..
I don't think I stated he was an outstanding coach. I said he was an excellent coach. He was excellent at Nevada and I thought he did a good job with the talent he had at Georgia. Excellent floor coach but not so good as a recruiter.

I don't think I stated he was an outstanding coach. I said he was an excellent coach. He was excellent at Nevada and I thought he did a good job with the talent he had at Georgia. Excellent floor coach but not so good as a recruiter.

giphy.gif

Thad Motta and UGA. Its about official. Press conference should be tomorrow.

He would not use a wheel chair. He did try different heights of chairs and just about every treatment and operation invented. He has suffered greatly. When healthy he’s a great recruiter and you won’t outcoach him in a game.

Really? I never saw him make an adjustment. He has a game plan and if it isn't working, we'll, neither is he, on to the next game.

Reactions: blue_in_chicago
If Matta goes to Georgia, maybe the Mack too Louisville rumor will not happen because wouldn't Matta be Xavier"s first choice and I believe he would choose Xavier over Georgia.

Had the sec player of the year this year and his team struggled to break 60. Good defense but atrocious offense.

ADVERTISEMENT