ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Tech to hire Mark Adams as new HC.

Texas gets the flashy figurehead. Tech gets the real man in charge. 🤣

20-21 scoring O #136, scoring D#23
19-20 scoring O #147, scoring D #29
18-19 scoring O #162, scoring D #3
17-18 scoring O #153, scoring D #16
16-17 scoring O #172, scoring D #55

Do you want the guy coaching the offense or the guy coaching defense?

Jimmys and Joe’s... I don’t see this guy upholding the current standard Beard set. Defensive genius or not, you gotta get the players.

Beard's best seasons were with Tubby's recruits, a kid from Lubbock, and a few transfers.

Also he kept McCullar who is arguably our best player. Has guarded 1 through 5 and can score.

Do you want the guy coaching the offense or the guy coaching defense?

Beard's best seasons were with Tubby's recruits, a kid from Lubbock, and a few transfers.

Also he kept McCullar who is arguably our best player. Has guarded 1 through 5 and can score.

Well see, but from where I sit, it’s an emotional AD/fanbase eager to buy the narrative that a 60+ year old career D1 assistant, several years removed from his last HC gig at a lower level was responsible for the biggest off the charts rise in TT’s basketball history. There might be enough left in the cupboard to churn out another trip to the tournament next year, and then there is a chance TT hoops falls off a cliff.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
Well see, but from where I sit, it’s an emotional AD/fanbase eager to buy the narrative that a 60+ year old career D1 assistant, several years removed from his last HC gig at a lower level was responsible for the biggest off the charts rise in TT’s basketball history. There might be enough left in the cupboard to churn out another trip to the tournament next year, and then there is a chance TT hoops falls off a cliff.

That's Justin Gray a Tubby Smith recruit who last played on our 2018 Elite 8 team that lost to eventual NC Villanova.

Who do you think we should have hired?

That's Justin Gray a Tubby Smith recruit who last played on our 2018 Elite 8 team that lost to eventual NC Villanova.

Who do you think we should have hired?

Players are emotional and will always back their guy. WVU football players hated Rich Rod and loved Bill Stewart, but the program still declined under Stewart.

It’s tough to replace someone who changes the standard somewhere. As far as who I would pick (within reason), I’ll compare the situation to WVU. I think WVU’s best bet when Huggins retires is to go after some of his assistants that earned their stripes as head coaches elsewhere, obviously Beard is much younger so TT does not have this luxury. If that option fails or is unavailable, then you have to rebrand the program and give an up and comer a shot IMO. Clinging to a past identity when the coach responsible for that identity left and spurned the program is a long term losing proposition IMO.

Personally I think it’s a bad move to try and go with a substitute teacher from the departing coach’s old staff, especially if the choice is on the older side. All other assistants will follow the guy who departed and starting from absolute scratch is very tough for a HC to do. Every coach has the capacity to surprise so well all get to see how it plays out eventually.

They are too worried about Chris Beard that they are making a mistake that could kill their basketball program.

Bring in someone that can maintain the program...
They are too busy trying to prove that they don't need Chris Beard

Each their own.

We will see what happens.

I do know it will be Welcome to Thunderdome when Texas comes to down.

Hiring Adams is trying to maintain. How is hiring Beards righthand man not doing that?

Your fanbase wants to push the narrative that it was Adams.
That Tech's success was because of Mark Adams.

The guy could do a great job there....But
Tech won because Chris Beard loves to win. All he cares about is winning.

Brings in people who are about that.

We don't know if Mark Adams can do that on this level.

NJCAA to Big 12 is a huge leap.

There aren't any Bob Huggins in the NJCAA

giphy.gif

Your fanbase wants to push the narrative that it was Adams.
That Tech's success was because of Mark Adams.

The guy could do a great job there....But
Tech won because Chris Beard loves to win. All he cares about is winning.

Brings in people who are about that.

We don't know if Mark Adams can do that on this level.

NJCAA to Big 12 is a huge leap.

There aren't any Bob Huggins in the NJCAA
We took the coach who made our defense work. Beard can go do his thing in Austin. I'm over it. We made the right hire for us, and now we can move on. And hopefully keep kicking UT's ass. More so now that the traitor is there.

Entire roster is returning except for Shannon (NBA), Jaylon Tyson is sticking with his commitment and we already have 3 transfers lined up. The staff is going to be insanely good as well.

It should make for some interesting times in the Big 12 with Beard at UT, KU, WVU, Baylor all staying very good and OSU on the rise. OU hiring Moser will be intriguing as well.

Entire roster is returning except for Shannon (NBA), Jaylon Tyson is sticking with his commitment and we already have 3 transfers lined up. The staff is going to be insanely good as well.

It should make for some interesting times in the Big 12 with Beard at UT, KU, WVU, Baylor all staying very good and OSU on the rise. OU hiring Moser will be intriguing as well.

Sure about Tyson...
Better recheck that

Tech committed to the largest assistant salary pool in the big 12 and top 10 in the country. Sutton is coming back too.

How did someone go from hero to zero so quick?

The problem with the narrative coming from Lubbock is that Chris Beard couldn't do anything wrong. Now the man cannot do anything right.

Almost aggy like. Don't want to be sand aggy. Better than that.

The sand people of Lubbock sound like they have declared jihad against Chris Beard and the University of Texas.

Maybe Tommy Tuberville was right. Like being in Iraq there.

Had no idea their offense was consistently that low.

Beard w/out Adams = Shaka minus defense? 🤣

In seriousness, it sounds like there's truth to the idea that Adams "architected" the no-middle defense that they've been using at Tech and that other coaches have stolen from (including Drew and Self).

Is Beard not competent enough to implement it himself?

Would be funny to see Adams own Beard head to head though.

Texas used to celebrate football championships.

Now they celebrate basketball strength coaches. 🤣

Reactions: Villian07
Texas baseball......all the rage. I'll bet they pull at least a handful of attendees for big games. They'd better slow down before the basketball program gets jealous.

Just heard about Howard. There's a thread on the KU board called "Bye bye Snacks." Should tell you all you need to know about how respected he was.

Good ol' Texas. Always willing to pay more for far less results. 🤣

How did someone go from hero to zero so quick?

The problem with the narrative coming from Lubbock is that Chris Beard couldn't do anything wrong. Now the man cannot do anything right.

Almost aggy like. Don't want to be sand aggy. Better than that.

The sand people of Lubbock sound like they have declared jihad against Chris Beard and the University of Texas.

Maybe Tommy Tuberville was right. Like being in Iraq there.

Mack Brown, Rick Barnes, Charlie Strong, Tom Herman, Shaka Smart... hero’s to zeros.

Speaking of narratives you didn’t seem high on Beard at TTU now he’s one of the best coaches in the country because Texas hired him?

Sorry we are not all talking up your hire. I know how you people crave attention. But we know his flaws now you get to discover them.

I’ll take the occasional dust storm over god awful traffic, encounters with the homeless, etc.

Had no idea their offense was consistently that low.

Beard w/out Adams = Shaka minus defense? 🤣

The first time he joked about how we fired the the shooting coach at halftime was funny. I never saw people run into each in Bob Knight’s motion offense.

Man would still be at the NJCAA level without Chris Beard...

Common theme you will find with great basketball coaches.
They hire great assistant coaches.

But don't tell Tech fans that...They want to believe

So Beard pulled him out of the NJCAA level when he hired him to AR-Little Rock while he was director of Basketball Operations at Texas Tech?

• Haha
Reactions: ExitFlagger
ADVERTISEMENT