ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Reaches Out to John Calipari

Question for UK fans.... How in the hell can a guy get kicked out of Core-Rupt Arena for holding up a sign that had no vulgarity or swearing in its message. That is some real BS and not to mention the 2nd amendment and rights to free speech???

1. You have no freedom of speech rights at a private event.

2. They first told him to put it down, which he did. Then they asked him to hand it over. He refused and wanted to keep it so he was asked to leave.

3. They shouldn't have done any of that, but it's within their abilities.

1. You have no freedom of speech rights at a private event.

2. They first told him to put it down, which he did. Then they asked him to hand it over. He refused and wanted to keep it so he was asked to leave.

3. They shouldn't have done any of that, but it's within their abilities.

At least they gave him the chance to surrender it first. That’s not quite as lame.

He'd be stupid to walk away from UK until the end of the 2023-2024 season. The UK recruiting class next year might be legendary.
If they continue on this trajectory, will it be legendary? The obvious answer is no.

Maybe some guys more into the know than I am, not at all these days.
I made the comment that Cal should hire an OC and a DC. Supposedly Cal asked for more money so he could hire those type of assistants and was refused by Barnhart. After raising 30 mil for a new practice facility, he was refused that by the AD. This I know to be true. From what I understand Barnhart and Cal can't communicate with each other. Camp Cal seems to have disappeared. This always seemed to give the team a boost. Did the AD stop this?

There's other things but those are the biggies. Seems the AD is punishing the basketball program because he doesn't like Cal. Seems our current shit show goes deeper.

Maybe Barnhart needs to go first. Hire an AD that will take the handcuffs off of Cal. Certainly would be cheaper.

Maybe we need more "Free Cal" signs that "Fire Cal" and replace that with "Fire Barnhart" lol

Maybe some guys more into the know than I am, not at all these days.
I made the comment that Cal should hire an OC and a DC. Supposedly Cal asked for more money so he could hire those type of assistants and was refused by Barnhart. After raising 30 mil for a new practice facility, he was refused that by the AD. This I know to be true. From what I understand Barnhart and Cal can't communicate with each other. Camp Cal seems to have disappeared. This always seemed to give the team a boost. Did the AD stop this?

There's other things but those are the biggies. Seems the AD is punishing the basketball program because he doesn't like Cal. Seems our current shit show goes deeper.

Maybe Barnhart needs to go first. Hire an AD that will take the handcuffs off of Cal. Certainly would be cheaper.

Maybe we need more "Free Cal" signs that "Fire Cal" and replace that with "Fire Barnhart" lol
It's pretty nuts to think an AD is so petty he'd hold alcohol, NIL, and personal feelings against the sports fans, teams, and coaches, but here we are. The fact it comes up is a problem.

It's pretty nuts to think an AD is so petty he'd hold alcohol, NIL, and personal feelings against the sports fans, teams, and coaches, but here we are. The fact it comes up is a problem.
You're exactly correct lurk. The fact it comes up.... I think this needs to be fixed first, then give Cal some more time to right the ship.

I've heard the way the NIL is structured is causing strife between the players as well as causing football transfers from the rumor mill.

You're exactly correct lurk. The fact it comes up.... I think this needs to be fixed first, then give Cal some more time to right the ship.

I've heard the way the NIL is structured is causing strife between the players as well as causing football transfers from the rumor mill.
Almost like a Mormon in a den of thieves. We need a guy to exploit everything. Come up with new ways to do it.
Hell the fact we have past Calipari players willing to build a practice facility, which will also house the UK museum again, and the AD says "nope", GTFO. I hate to be harsh, but this dude...stopping myself.

I’m all for Cal if he’s trying to correct course by bringing in stronger offensive and defensive minds. I’ll give him time.

• Love
Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
I’m all for Cal if he’s trying to correct course by bringing in stronger offensive and defensive minds. I’ll give him time.
I hope Calipari can get over himself on thinking he's this offensive genius and let go of the reigns and delegate to someone who's not someone (from his past) he feels like he needs to give jobs to. Love loyalty, but it's loyalty to a fault.

Reactions: cdbearde
There was this article in the Commercial Appeal (a local Memphis paper) where Calipari talked to some old coach about dribble drive. Calipari thought it was amazing. He "tweaked it" and it worked for a while to great success.
Another local article talked about him watching the '03 UK Tubby team and "it seemed like they had 6 men on defense", he worked on that. It worked for a while with great success.

Neither of those is working now. He's not adapted.
Honestly, Robic's father's death started a lot of this. Robic was his right-hand man since Umass IIRC. Dude did all the scouting and helped with adjustments. Robic stopped after his father's death.

Last edited:
Calipari doesn't need a team full of 5*'s he needs an elite PG.
As much as I appreciate Wheeler, he won't go down as one of the best he's had.

Reactions: cdbearde
Some counter points that were mentioned to the new practice facility and the AD....

1. Where would they put it? The suggested place is apparently the primary parking lot in the area. So that was one issue.

2. Due to equality things they have to abide by they may not be able to have a "men's" practice facility only. My have to be open to others or millions must be spent on other women's sports.

3. Doesn't UK bb have more assistant coaches than most schools? Why do they need to hire another... They have Cal head coach and associate coaches Bruiser Flint, Orlando Antigua, Chin Coleman and KT Turner.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Some counter points that were mentioned to the new practice facility and the AD....

1. Where would they put it? The suggested place is apparently the primary parking lot in the area. So that was one issue.

2. Due to equality things they have to abide by they may not be able to have a "men's" practice facility only. My have to be open to others or millions must be spent on other women's sports.

3. Doesn't UK bb have more assistant coaches than most schools? Why do they need to hire another... They have Cal head coach and associate coaches Bruiser Flint, Orlando Antigua, Chin Coleman and KT Turner.
Your avatar design for Mossy won last season IMO. Incredible!

Nope, actually they have less. Antigua and Turner spend a lot time recruiting. The staff is spread thin.

Also, Barnhart is on KSR right now. Just asked about the construction. Said there is a significant process to build something like that. 18-24 month process that includes University approval of where to put it, gender equality, approved building plans, etc... Plus the cost would likely be 70-80 million and distinguished that Cals 30 million is great but clarified that is pledged money that also takes a lot of time to get it.

Main plan is to renovate Memorial first which has been the plan for a while.

Nope, actually they have less. Antigua and Turner spend a lot time recruiting. The staff is spread thin.

Just saying when you count the head coach and assistant/associate coaches Duke has 5 just like UK. UNC, Kansas and the team that just beat us South Carolina has 4. Pretty sure every other team in the top 10 only has 4(Purdue, Alabama, Houston, Tennessee, UCLA, UCONN, etc...)

So maybe instead of adding another coach replace one who can't.

There was this article in the Commercial Appeal (a local Memphis paper) where Calipari talked to some old coach about dribble drive. Calipari thought it was amazing. He "tweaked it" and it worked for a while to great success.
Another local article talked about him watching the '03 UK Tubby team and "it seemed like they had 6 men on defense", he worked on that. It worked for a while with great success.

Neither of those is working now. He's not adapted.
Honestly, Robic's father's death started a lot of this. Robic was his right-hand man since Umass IIRC. Dude did all the scouting and helped with adjustments. Robic stopped after his father's death.
Tubby ran the ball-line same as Bennett.

Just saying when you count the head coach and assistant/associate coaches Duke has 5 just like UK. UNC, Kansas and the team that just beat us South Carolina has 4. Pretty sure every other team in the top 10 only has 4(Purdue, Alabama, Houston, Tennessee, UCLA, UCONN, etc...)

So maybe instead of adding another coach replace one who can't.
Duke also has a GM. Duke's not doing so well either lol. But I'm absolutely sure there will be changes in the off season. Arkansas has a total of 18 on its staff. link
Alabama has 12 the same as their football program.
Tennessee Also has 12.

The major programs are increasing their staffs.

Last edited:
Looking at the link you provided.... They have the same amount of assistant/associate coaches as UK. The rest of the list includes the athletic trainer, equipment manager, recruiting coordinator, multimedia coordinator, grad assistant coordinator, director of bb ops, nutritionist and academic advisor.

I don't think any of those are helping with their offensive schemes.

Maybe the only thing other schools have that UK doesn't is a recruiting coordinator. Sure hire someone for that, but it still doesn't fix the issues on the floor.

Also, Barnhart implied that the NCAA was changing the rules on the staff. No voluntary positions except GA's. I wonder if that will change anything at UK or elsewhere. Just to point out Musselmans son is the recruiting coordinator for him. So maybe bring back Brad for that job at UK. I'm sure that would go well with the fans.

For a whole lot less? Have you forgotten that little issue of the 50+ million buyout? And do you think the next coach would be okay with earning a lot less than they were paying Calipari?
This is the go to argument for most people. It's almost as if they don't understand there are other ways that John Calipari won't be at UK besides getting fired...

No.

After doing the research they appear to be at the NCAA limit for coaches. NCAA just voted(but not officially approved yet) to allow 2 more starting next season, but they will NOT be allowed to do off campus recruiting. You can also hire unlimited people it seems like for non coaching roles(nutritionist, strength, trainer, videographer, etc...)

So UK is at that cap and they also have people at almost every other position that isn't a coach except a few. (Doesn't have recruiting coordinator but I'd say Cal and Antigua do that)

If they want to bring in somebody that can teach them analytics I'm all for it. Or just somebody to help would be great. The problem is would Cal actually listen to them.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
ADVERTISEMENT