ADVERTISEMENT

Texas.Miami(Fla) game thread...

Yes, and if they had Zeigler, they probably would have been a 3 seed or higher - so we probably wouldn't have been facing them in the 2nd round anyway.
I see proctor is returning for duke next year. What kind of NIL deal does he have?

Reactions: dukedevilz
Miami making a run while the rest faceplant isn’t overperforming by the conference. By that logic, we should be bowing down to whatever league Fla Atlantic is in.

No, that's not it. You along with others were going on about how powerful the Big 12 was and many of you thought that would continue when the tourney started. The Big 12 was the best conference this year, no doubt about it but when the lights were on as a conference you crumbled. The ACC wasn't good at all and UNC didn't deserve an invite. All this conference honking I don't understand it.

No, that's not it. You along with others were going on about how powerful the Big 12 was and many of you thought that would continue when the tourney started. The Big 12 was the best conference this year, no doubt about it but when the lights were on as a conference you crumbled. The ACC wasn't good at all and UNC didn't deserve an invite. All this conference honking I don't understand it.

Not sure what you're going on about. Did I predict that the Big 12 would dominate the tourney? Or am I responsible for things that Phog and the K-State fan say?

The Big 12 didn't kill it this year, but 2 teams in the Elite 8 isn't bad. No league produced more. And they probably win a few more games if Disu and Self aren't out.

What made the Big 12 tough is that you have a true round robin and no bad opponents. There were no days off. The worst opponent you could face was a Texas Tech team that was around 60 on Kenpom and finished .500 with a bunch of quality wins. That's a team that is middle of the pack in most leagues.

When people hype the Big 12, they're hyping the depth of the league and the grind of the conference schedule. It's not like a bunch of people were predicting the Big 12 would have 3 out of 4 final four teams or something.

Not sure what you're going on about. Did I predict that the Big 12 would dominate the tourney? Or am I responsible for things that Phog and the K-State fan say?

The Big 12 didn't kill it this year, but 2 teams in the Elite 8 isn't bad. No league produced more. And they probably win a few more games if Disu and Self aren't out.

What made the Big 12 tough is that you have a true round robin and no bad opponents. There were no days off. The worst opponent you could face was a Texas Tech team that was around 60 on Kenpom and finished .500 with a bunch of quality wins. That's a team that is middle of the pack in most leagues.

When people hype the Big 12, they're hyping the depth of the league and the grind of the conference schedule. It's not like a bunch of people were predicting the Big 12 would have 3 out of 4 final four teams or something.
Agreed. The big 12 in basketball was basically the Equivalent of playing an sec schedule in football

Reactions: ExitFlagger

LOL, you're not the mouthpiece of others, not saying that. I'm saying all year long all we heard was how tough the Big 12, best conference by a mile etc.. Now making excuses on who wasn't available doesn't work even though missing a HOF coach does matter, but you still have to play.

My point is that once conference season starts teams only play each other. So the Big 12, which IMO was the best conference, only plays each other and gets pumped up regardless of any outcome because they play each other. Lose a bunch of Quad 1 games? No one cares because you get credit for just winning a few of them. So the Quad system is very biased towards a conference that had a strong OOC. That may not necessarily be reflective of how teams are playing at the end of the year. My argument is mainly a knock on how stupid the Quad system is. Teams get killed because of what they did in November and December and if they struggled with Quad 1 games then and their conference is weak they have zero chance to make up for it.

I think the ACC sucked ths year and I don't pull for the conference anyway. But, I do think tournament success should be considered and that again reflects how bad the NET and Quad stuff is.

The scheduling is the easier fix, IMO. Everything happening now has been happening for years going back to the RPI era too. Basically going back to when “last 10 games” was removed from an official factor in the committee decisions.

The fix is to play some non-con games in January and February. Even just 2-3 for each team between Jan 15 and Feb 15 would make a massive difference.

Reactions: jhmossy
LOL, you're not the mouthpiece of others, not saying that. I'm saying all year long all we heard was how tough the Big 12, best conference by a mile etc.. Now making excuses on who wasn't available doesn't work even though missing a HOF coach does matter, but you still have to play.

Not making excuses. It is what it is. But you can't ignore factors like that if your goal is to actually determine the strength of a conference.

Big 12 teams had to face Disu 2-3x. He was a huge part of their surge down the stretch. They had to face Bill Self 2-3x. Iowa St faceplanted largely due to the loss of two of their top players near the end of the year, and TCU hadn't been at full strength since midseason.

And again, playing in the Big 12 was tough. That's not the same as predicting dominance in the tourney.

Last edited:
I see proctor is returning for duke next year. What kind of NIL deal does he have?

I feel like he would have been drafted in the 2nd Round. His stocking was rising, for sure. He was slightly undervalued as a recruit. But, to keep him for a second season, I gotta imagine he's getting at least 200k. I think he could work his way into the 1st Round next year.

I feel like he would have been drafted in the 2nd Round. His stocking was rising, for sure. He was slightly undervalued as a recruit. But, to keep him for a second season, I gotta imagine he's getting at least 200k. I think he could work his way into the 1st Round next year.
I thought his stock really took off as the season went on. I saw some projections had him potentially in the lottery.

Are you hearing that Roach may be gone though? Proctor/Roach is a great backcourt but add Foster and McCain and it starts to get a bit crowded. Depth is always good but 5-stars don't come to sit either.

Are you hearing that Roach may be gone though? Proctor/Roach is a great backcourt but add Foster and McCain and it starts to get a bit crowded. Depth is always good but 5-stars don't come to sit either.

I've heard Roach most likely isn't coming back. Think he starts his pro career, wherever that may be.

Hoping to get either Mitchell or Flip back. And Lively and Whitehead are obviously gone.

Reactions: jhmossy
Miami didn't make a single 3-pointer in the second half. They came back from a deficit of 13 points on nothing but two-point field goals. Gotta admire the Miami guards. They kept their composure. Pace stayed the same. The attack was the same. They just kept plugging away. And eventually their defense was able to make some stops and deflect a few passes.

And they gave the biggest FU to analytics. The midrange game can exploit defenses. Create separation, and you've got plenty of quality looks.

Reactions: TKBray and jhmossy
Miami didn't make a single 3-pointer in the second half. They came back from a deficit of 13 points on nothing but two-point field goals. Gotta admire the Miami guards. They kept their composure. Pace stayed the same. The attack was the same. They just kept plugging away. And eventually their defense was able to make some stops and deflect a few passes.

And they gave the biggest FU to analytics. The midrange game can exploit defenses. Create separation, and you've got plenty of quality looks.
Texas kept fouling to which helped also. Texas just seem to go into a complete lull the last 8 minutes of that game

Reactions: dukedevilz

It really was pretty remarkable. 2-8 from three, while Texas finished 10-25, but only 3-11 in the second half I believe. I do love watching how effective they are as a team from midrange. You don't see that very much anymore.

Miller was amazing, Wong was really good down the stretch, and Pack finished with 15 despite only hitting one 3. But Wooga Poplar was quietly the second best player I thought. He finished with 16 and it doesn't feel like he had that many, lol. When you talk about midrange, he's a killer there. He came up with several big plays yesterday and was critical in keeping the game from being even more out of reach until Wong got it going more late in the game.

Texas kept fouling to which helped also. Texas just seem to go into a complete lull the last 8 minutes of that game

That was the biggest factor imo. As I was watching it, once Miami got into the bonus so early and was able to get to the free throw line with a chance to cut into the deficit but even more importantly to be able to stop the clock on so many possessions, that's what saved them.

There were so many dicey calls in the last couple minutes that basically decided the game. The charge/block call between Miller & Allen was huge. I didn't think that was an obvious block by Allen, causing him to foul out. The over the back/foul call between Omier & Cunningham. Initially, that looked like Omier jumped on his back. That would've been Omier's fifth foul, and Cunningham could've tied the game at the line instead of Omier putting Miami up 4. When Omier reached in and stripped Carr, that was very risky by him since he had 4 fouls. All those plays worked out for Miami but none would've been surprising if called the other way imo.

Really the only call that went against them was the push-off call on Wong in the lane. That one could've easily been called the other way as well.

Sounds like what you want to say is that UNC got screwed. That they were left out due to a weak resume, but should have gotten consideration due to what they did in the tourney last year. For the record, I think North Carolina should have been in the field over some other teams. But I also think that losing Manek was a massive blow and that he masked a lot of their problems last year.

There will never be a way to objectively determine how well teams are playing at the end of the year. And it would be pretty shitty if a team that killed it all year was hammered for having a rough stretch near the end, in favor of some team that got hot for a handful of games.

I don't have a problem with the quad system. I think quality wins/losses throughout the year should always be the main focus when seeding. What I have a problem with is the lack of consistency in their approach. If you're supposedly putting so much emphasis on quad 1 wins, how do you give Houston the Midwest over a team with 10 more quad 1 wins and a similar win % in quad 1 games? Makes no sense. I'm also not a big fan of the NET rankings.

I do not think UNC deserved it at all tbh. They didn't beat anyone. I think they should have been in over some of the last few Big Ten or Big 12 teams probably but that doesn't mean I think they deserved it. The Quad system just self-perpetuates who the system thinks you are once conference season starts. It's all basically over at that point.

@coryfly ehich conference are you hoping for? SEC or big ten?

SEC all the way.

Reactions: GE Nole
I do not think UNC deserved it at all tbh. They didn't beat anyone. I think they should have been in over some of the last few Big Ten or Big 12 teams probably but that doesn't mean I think they deserved it. The Quad system just self-perpetuates who the system thinks you are once conference season starts. It's all basically over at that point.

SEC all the way.
I think unc, Clemson, fsu and one other will come to the SEC when it comes down to it. I could see uva be the 4th team

I hope not. They won't be tied to Duke. Some have said the BOR or whatever it's called could make separating from State difficult.
I see unc as being number 1 for the SEC when it comes To it. Big ten will want them to. I don’t see the SEC wanting duke or nc state unless we are taking like 6-8 schools.

Unc
Clemson
Fsu
Uva
Miami

Then you are probably at the nc state, Va tech, duke level

I see unc as being number 1 for the SEC when it comes To it. Big ten will want them to. I don’t see the SEC wanting duke or nc state unless we are taking like 6-8 schools.

Unc
Clemson
Fsu
Uva
Miami

Then you are probably at the nc state, Va tech, duke level

A lot of UNC fans are absurd and say they would never stoop to the academic level of the SEC. I'm like, do you have any idea that Vandy, UF, Auburn, etc... are there? IDK, just dumb IMO.

A lot of UNC fans are absurd and say they would never stoop to the academic level of the SEC. I'm like, do you have any idea that Vandy, UF, Auburn, etc... are there? IDK, just dumb IMO.
Yeah. I doubt unc makes the decision based on academics but if it is a concern I think uva is offered as a means though to ensure the unc academic side if someone brings that up . sEC wants to to expand its foot print but only wants states that touch its current schools. North Carolina and virginia both do that. Florida st. And Clemson obviously have the football tradition but the SEC is already strong in those states but I see them both coming in a 4 team package. Miami just doesn’t fit at all. The SEC has no City type schools

Two point FGs and a crap ton of FTs, which are an analytics dream. They were in the bonus with like 12 min to go. Baffled me why Texas didn’t go to a zone early in the 2nd half.

SEC all the way.

So you consider the Big 12 the best league, yet you think they only deserved 5 bids?

As for the quad system…even if it does self-perpetuate during conference season, that’s only half the season. Maybe teams/leagues that are upset should be putting more emphasis on the non-con.

You seem to think that just being in a league like the Big 12 is a big advantage, and that losses don’t matter. I’m pretty sure that every Big 12 teams’ efficiency rating went down during conference season. Some by a lot. Early in the year, every Big 12 team was in the Kenpom top 25. Texas Tech was top 20 in the non-con. After getting chewed up by the Big 12, they finished at 63. I’m sure it was similar in the NET. Every team they lost to this year was top 50ish.

And if you think the committee puts too much emphasis on the quads, explain to me how a team that set the record for quad 1 wins, with no losses below quad 1, was seeded below a team with 10 fewer quad 1 wins and a quad 3 loss, and placed in easily the toughest region.

The computers reward blowouts, and losses don’t help you no matter who you’re facing. Give any Big 12 team Houston’s schedule, and their efficiency metrics are way higher and they’d be seeded higher. A few teams that were left out of the tourney probably get in, and maybe even as a pretty high seed. KU would have been the overall 1 seed with Houston’s schedule. I don’t think it’s the advantage you think it is. In some cases, the opposite.

So you consider the Big 12 the best league, yet you think they only deserved 5 bids?

As for the quad system…even if it does self-perpetuate during conference season, that’s only half the season. Maybe teams/leagues that are upset should be putting more emphasis on the non-con.

You seem to think that just being in a league like the Big 12 is a big advantage, and that losses don’t matter. I’m pretty sure that every Big 12 teams’ efficiency rating went down during conference season. Some by a lot. Early in the year, every Big 12 team was in the Kenpom top 25. Texas Tech was top 20 in the non-con. After getting chewed up by the Big 12, they finished at 63. I’m sure it was similar in the NET. Every team they lost to this year was top 50ish.

And if you think the committee puts too much emphasis on the quads, explain to me how a team that set the record for quad 1 wins, with no losses below quad 1, was seeded below a team with 10 fewer quad 1 wins and a quad 3 loss, and placed in easily the toughest region.

The computers reward blowouts, and losses don’t help you no matter who you’re facing. Give any Big 12 team Houston’s schedule, and their efficiency metrics are way higher and they’d be seeded higher. A few teams that were left out of the tourney probably get in, and maybe even as a pretty high seed. KU would have been the overall 1 seed with Houston’s schedule. I don’t think it’s the advantage you think it is. In some cases, the opposite.

Blowouts being rewarded is also super dumb so good point there. NCAA seems to use Quads to get teams in and then just seeds them however they see fit. I don't disagree there, though I thought Texas deserved a higher seed than both Houston and KU tbh. I'm not really talking about Houston vs KU though. I'll always favor Kansas in that argument. I'm more talking about big boy conferences versus each other. It's a fun argument but really pretty inconsequential as well though. Arguing over who gets in as a 10 or 11 seed or whatever doesn't make much difference in the long run.

I also really have no issues with who was in or not. I also really have little issue with the Big 12. If anything their teams should take the place of some Big 10 teams. But, at what point does one conference constantly flopping in the tournament matter? IDK, maybe it shouldn't.

Last edited:
Blowouts being rewarded is also super dumb so good point there. NCAA seems to use Quads to get teams in and then just seeds them however they see fit. I don't disagree there, though I thought Texas deserved a higher seed than both Houston and KU tbh. I'm not really talking about Houston vs KU though. I'll always favor Kansas in that argument. I'm more talking about big boy conferences versus each other. It's a fun argument but really pretty inconsequential as well though. Arguing over who gets in as a 10 or 11 seed or whatever doesn't make much difference in the long run.
You could definitely argue that Texas was a better team than KU, especially down the stretch, but I don’t think they had a good argument for a higher seed. They had a worse overall record, worse quad 1 record, and worse Big 12 record.

Two point FGs and a crap ton of FTs, which are an analytics dream. They were in the bonus with like 12 min to go. Baffled me why Texas didn’t go to a zone early in the 2nd half.

This is true. They did get in the bonus awfully early. At the rate they were shooting against Texas, that's 1.75 points per possession, which is bananas.

Reactions: GE Nole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT