ADVERTISEMENT

Tennessee will be visiting Kentucky Saturday

I said Fulkerson would either show up or he wouldn't and it was the latter. He will have still won 3 of his 5 times at Rupp and that is pretty good.
Way to go out on a limb there nostradumbass

Huh? You got me confused here Jeff....You mentioned how UT shot well above their average from three----I said to be fair, so did UK.

And you respond with this?
I'm not sure why that's confusing. UT is not a good 3 point dhooting team, but they hit 11 today. You said UK shot 68%, they did, from the field and a lot of that is because UT overplays on defense. UK got past their outside defenders and got layups and dunks.
UK also shot great from the outside. Well, I'm not sure why that's strange. Mintz, Tyty and Grady will hit a high percentage when they get open looks.

And i said I'd bet every dime I have they won't....I believe UK is good. Really good. I also don't think today is something that UK is going to do often. If you do, great. I recall this type of convo a few years back when UK went to the Bahama's, smacked everyone, etc, etc....Then proceeded to lose to Duke by 500. Folks you cannot place all your eggs in one basket, over one game. Kentucky was unreal today...Like 5 Jodie Meeks vs UT/Prince vs UNC good. And it was fun to watch. Hell I was almost late getting to my game b.c I wanted to see if they'd keep it up---It was that fun.

But its also ONE game. A game where every shot seemingly went in. It snowballed on Tenn, Rupp was rocking', lights out----game over.

Tell ya what---YOu give me Tenn and 20 points, in TBA, and I'll let you name the $$$$.
LOL, okay.
This isn’t the 2018/19 team and it's not the 2014/15 team. I get that.
This team has blown several teams out by 25+ and it's only getting better

Yeah, but at some point, it's not "just one of those days" when it keeps happening.
Western KY got blasted by 35, North Carolina got hammered by 29, Mizzou by 27, Vanderbilt was down by 28 when UK let off the gas and now today. UK could have beat UT by 35 or 40 if it wanted to.
That’s just too many blowouts for me to say this was just one of those days.
C'mon, man....WKU had 8 hours to game plan....UNC is waaaay down. Really? Mizzou? There are about 5 HS teams in Indiana better than Vandy.

Not sure if you are trolling----or if you really think Kentucky is the type of good you saw today, good.

Kentucky is good. Potentially FF good. But what happens today if UK doesn't shoot 61% from three, and damn near 70% overall? I mean at one point, UK was shooting 80%---34/42. They were 20-21 from the line.

You think UK is that good^^^^^^, on a consistent basis?

C'mon, man....WKU had 8 hours to game plan....UNC is waaaay down. Really? Mizzou? There are about 5 HS teams in Indiana better than Vandy.

Not sure if you are trolling----or if you really think Kentucky is the type of good you saw today, good.

Kentucky is good. Potentially FF good. But what happens today if UK doesn't shoot 61% from three, and damn near 70% overall? I mean at one point, UK was shooting 80%---34/42. They were 20-21 from the line.

You think UK is that good^^^^^^, on a consistent basis?
WKU had 8 hours to prepare, but so did UK.

Also, is nobody else playing easier opponents? Or is it just UK? Is anyone else blowing out power 5 teams by 30?

uNC might not be great, but it’s still uNC. They have size and athletesism and they're still a good team.

I'm not sure why you're knocking down what UK has done, seems weird. Especially when everyone else is playing easier games too, but not blowing out multiple power 5 teams by 30.

I'm not sure why that's confusing. UT is not a good 3 point dhooting team, but they hit 11 today. You said UK shot 68%, they did, from the field and a lot of that is because UT overplays on defense. UK got past their outside defenders and got layups and dunks.
UK also shot great from the outside. Well, I'm not sure why that's strange. Mintz, Tyty and Grady will hit a high percentage when they get open looks.
Ahhh, you misunderstood. UT is not a good 3 point shooting team(29%). Hit 11 today. SHot it well. My response was----In fairness, UK only shoots 34% from three-----and today, shot 61%,

Ty/Grady(especially) and Mintz are good shooters. 40%+ shooters. All are capable of having great shooting games---Especially Grady.

Again, if you expect this type of shooting the majority of the season---thats fine. I respect that.

Reactions: kyjeff1

Also, is nobody else playing easier opponents? Or is it just UK? Is anyone else blowing out power 5 teams by 30?

uNC might not be great, but it’s still uNC. They have size and athletesism and they're still a good team.

I'm not sure why you're knocking down what UK has done, seems weird. Especially when everyone else is playing easier games too, but not blowing out multiple power 5 teams by 30.
UK's average margin of victory is 26..6. Average margin of defeat is 5.6.

I'm not knocking down what UK done...It was fun as **** to see. I just htink you are going a bit hyperbole here, friend. Again, if you feel UK is going to consistently shoot 70%/61%, thats great. I don't think they will.

P5 teams aren't equal my man....Vandy wouldn't win the MVC, AAC, or probably even compete for a Top 4 spot....Not would Mizzou. UNC is decent....but defensively they are awful, and not the same UNC you nornally would see... You know, kinda of how UK last year was awful...But still had the brand of P5 team....Not all are equal. You should know this from last years debacle.

You keep talking about UK, and the 30 point wins over P5 schools....But seemingly leave out the struggles with an awful UGA and Southern team----Or that UK lost to a Notre Dame team that Indiana whipped for most of the day..

What UK did today was impressive...Very impressive. And 1-5, they certainly have the tools. I just thin you are letting ONE game, whrere everything clicked, go to your head.

Now I wll happily eat crow if UK goes to A&M and then to Auburn, and blows them out...Or beats them handily, and performs as they did today----Same thing if they do so @ Kansas.

Cats have a good, solid 5....As good as anyone. Not sure how much more you'd like me to compliment them...Sorry I don't think UK will be like they were today, everyday, or even consistently like that. But I do think they;re gonna be a major headache come March. And if they develop a bench.....Oh, boy.

Dude, really?

UK and this blowing out P5 teams,just stop....Did you happen to see what GOnzaga did to UCLA and Texas? UK smashed a decent UNC team.....They dismantled a pretty good, MOF, IMO, really good TN team, at home----On a day where they could not miss.

I love this UK team. 1-5, they are really good. Two elite guards in Ty/Wheeler. Yes, I think Wheeler is elite. Gradys a shooter...Oscar is a NPOY type of dude. Mintz is streaky....But when playing well, is very good.

Cats need to get some bench love....Need Collins/Toppin.

Again, UK is good...Today, they were crazy good.

Our next three Saturdays are @AU, @KU, and @Bama.
ANd if UK goes to those places,and performs as they did today, I will be the first dude to eat the crow...I think they are very capable of winning all three. BUt also very capable of losing all 3----as would be the case for a lot teams. But if they go into said arena's, a curb stmp these teams.....Well, I'll be the frst to start helping design banner #9.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Dude, really?

UK and this blowing out P5 teams,just stop....Did you happen to see what GOnzaga did to UCLA and Texas? UK smashed a decent UNC team.....They dismantled a pretty good, MOF, IMO, really good TN team, at home----On a day where they could not miss.

I love this UK team. 1-5, they are really good. Two elite guards in Ty/Wheeler. Yes, I think Wheeler is elite. Gradys a shooter...Oscar is a NPOY type of dude. Mintz is streaky....But when playing well, is very good.

I'm not seeing how Collins or Hopkins is going to get much playing time. Oscar is going to play all the minutes his fouls allow him to. Brooks and Toppin are going to play along side him. Even Wear is going to have trouble. They could slide in a the SF but our scoring goes to shit when we're not running 3 guards.

I think it's around 200 now. Todays win jumped UK up to 3 in Kenpom. I know, it's kenpom, but it's the right direction. Lot's of tough games coming up.
KenPom is a better tool about this time of the year...Now I'm not sure UK is the 3rd best team...But they certainly have the starting 5 to get there.

ANd if UK goes to those places,and performs as they did today, I will be the first dude to eat the crow...I think they are very capable of winning all three. BUt also very capable of losing all 3----as would be the case for a lot teams. But if they go into said arena's, a curb stmp these teams.....Well, I'll be the frst to start helping design banner #9.
I don't think you'd need to eat crow. Those are going to be really tough games. If we win all three just celebrate with all your Kentucky friends and family. :)

Reactions: IUfanBorden
I'm not seeing how Collins or Hopkins is going to get much playing time. Oscar is going to play all the minutes his fouls allow him to. Brooks and Toppin are going to play along side him. Even Wear is going to have trouble. They could slide in a the SF but our scoring goes to shit when we're not running 3 guards.
True...Brooks getting more consistent, along with Toppin is a better take. Ty/Wheeler/Grady/Mintz/Oscar is a scary line-up....Get some love from Brooks/Toppin, and things get interesting..

Only issue I have with UK is their depth. Oscar gets into foul trouble, and there just isn't anyone to man the ship as he does...Lose Wheeler, and well there sits Washington. UK's backcourt is sick, and their strength TBH.

I don't think you'd need to eat crow. Those are going to be really tough games. If we win all three just celebrate with all your Kentucky friends and family. :)
Wifey's brother has season tix....He was there. Wife couldn't go due to granddaughters bday party..

If they win.....I wouldn't be a bit surprised. If they win handily, I would be---which has been my point. No one would have beaten UK today. Today was a day that happens from time to time.

It was fun to watch, for sure.

Either way we cookie cutter it up. UK hung 107 on the "statically the #2 best defensive team in the nation this year" Counts for something.

I've learned to enjoy it while it's happening.,,,and yes, I'm watching it again. This time I get to watch w/o emotion, and actually study it.

Reactions: RipThru
I think @mikeinknoxville might be the oldest guy here (older than @Bert Higginbotha). I would be curious to hear his take.

We should have more Donnybrooks here. I feel like all the good ones involve UK fans.
Ha ha sorry I missed the thread!
BTW to the UK fans I hated hearing about Joe B. Hall. I thought he did a great job up there.

Great win for UK and hopefully we can return the favor in Knoxville.

What adjustment does he make? UK just had one of those days. UT wasn't bad----Kentucky just played out of their minds today. Happens sometimes.
Their defense played perfectly into what the Cats do best. Drive, floaters, pullups, layups, lobs, kickouts. They played too far out and no help. We shoot maybe 20 3's a game. You can't practice the speed at UK plays at. Other coaches have mentioned that. And I think their bigs were intimidated by Oscar.

Way to go out on a limb there nostradumbass
We have more than one player on the team. He was the only one I mentioned and said that sometimes he does and sometimes he doesn't.

You want another tip? Plant your corn early this year. You're welcome.

Then why did they entered the game shooting 34% from three? Have they played someone,anyone, better defensively(per KP), than UT? A lot of their open looks came via the break...UT turnovers. And well, lay-ups---and being fair, that was UK's guards totally abusing UT's guards.

Today reminded me of IU/Kent State. Good shooting Indiana team...MOF, shot 41% as a team from three. But that day? Hit their first 7 three's. Finished 15-19.

Kentucky can be really good---And their b/c is lethal as ****. But if you think what the did today is some type of, "yeah they get those looks, they're gonna do that repeatedly", is a statement setting you up for disappointment.

I really like this Kentucky team. Very good chance at being really good. But today was just oneof those days that no matter who shot it----it went in. I mean Wheeler was 7/9 from the floor.

Very good team, no doubt. But today was 7 Jodie Meeks type of day.
Three point percentage aside, the rest of those looks were layups or 12 footers. If UK gets THOSE looks their percentage will be through the roof. That’s the entire point. Points off turnovers and layups/mid range jumpers make for high percentages. They only shot 18 3s. That’s not a lot. And, the Cats have been scoring it at a high rate anyway. 11-18 from 3 is off the charts but the 2s? That’s very doable again WITH THE SAME LOOKS.

Last edited:
Just looked up some stats. Kentucky is pretty good offensively. Entered the game as the #8 offense in the country. Scored 90 or more 6 times already this year. Shooting 51% from the field for the year. Averaging 85 ppg. Somebody is shooting it in with regularity.

Just looked up some stats. Kentucky is pretty good offensively. Entered the game as the #8 offense in the country. Scored 90 or more 6 times already this year. Shooting 51% from the field for the year. Averaging 85 ppg. Somebody is shooting it in with regularity.
I REAALLLYY want Grady to be more consistent. He has a tendency to drop a bit in some games.

Nobody expects the Cats to shoot like they did yesterday, every game. But this team is good in transition (off misses and turnovers) and when they get to the rim they’re gonna shoot a high percentage. At one point yesterday the transition/fast break points were 28-0

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Ahhh, you misunderstood. UT is not a good 3 point shooting team(29%). Hit 11 today. SHot it well. My response was----In fairness, UK only shoots 34% from three-----and today, shot 61%,

Ty/Grady(especially) and Mintz are good shooters. 40%+ shooters. All are capable of having great shooting games---Especially Grady.

Again, if you expect this type of shooting the majority of the season---thats fine. I respect that.
Yeah, that’s fair. It was also unfortunate for UT that guys like Brooks, Wheeler and Hopkins each hit one.
But lately, Grady, Tyty and Mintz have been on fire from the outside. So it's not crazy to think these guys will have games like this.

But yeah, 61% from 3 pt range is obscene.

UK's average margin of victory is 26..6. Average margin of defeat is 5.6.
Yeah, they have been crushing teams. I knew they had all the right pieces to be good, but they're clicking pretty good right now.

Last edited:
I'm not knocking down what UK done...It was fun as **** to see. I just htink you are going a bit hyperbole here, friend. Again, if you feel UK is going to consistently shoot 70%/61%, thats great. I don't think they will.

P5 teams aren't equal my man....Vandy wouldn't win the MVC, AAC, or probably even compete for a Top 4 spot....Not would Mizzou. UNC is decent....but defensively they are awful, and not the same UNC you nornally would see... You know, kinda of how UK last year was awful...But still had the brand of P5 team....Not all are equal. You should know this from last years debacle.

You keep talking about UK, and the 30 point wins over P5 schools....But seemingly leave out the struggles with an awful UGA and Southern team----Or that UK lost to a Notre Dame team that Indiana whipped for most of the day..

What UK did today was impressive...Very impressive. And 1-5, they certainly have the tools. I just thin you are letting ONE game, whrere everything clicked, go to your head.

Now I wll happily eat crow if UK goes to A&M and then to Auburn, and blows them out...Or beats them handily, and performs as they did today----Same thing if they do so @ Kansas.

Cats have a good, solid 5....As good as anyone. Not sure how much more you'd like me to compliment them...Sorry I don't think UK will be like they were today, everyday, or even consistently like that. But I do think they;re gonna be a major headache come March. And if they develop a bench.....Oh, boy.
Okay, that’s fine, but everyone else is playing teams similar to WKU, uNC, Vandy and UT and I don't see them blowing them out by 30.

Baylor just lost at home to Oklahoma state, who was 8-7. They've lost to Wichita State, Xavier, Wva and Oakland. I believe Vanderbilt is > Oklahoma State, but UK blew them out in Nashville.

I could do this with any team out there. Even as good as Auburn is, they aren't blowing anyone out by 30.

I never thought UK struggled with UGA, that's a weird take. They beat them by 15 without Wheeler. Tyty had 17 assists. Southern, UK beat them by 12 back in early December, long before they started playing like this.

Sorry man, I just feel like they are better 1-6 than UT and I also believe, if they stay healthy, they will beat UT pretty handily in TBA on 2/15.

Reactions: JC for 3
Dude, really?

See what Gonzaga did to Texas and UCLA? Texas sucks and Gonzaga only won by 12. They beat an overrated UCLA team (come on, they're not a top 5 team), by 20, that's awesome, but they also lost, in Seattle, to Alabama. They just allowed Santa Clara to score 83 points. Thats not good.

Yes, UK needs 1 more front court guy to get going, but that doesn’t mean my 20 point UT prediction wont be right.

In a very long and rich history against UT (158-75), UK brings out the most points ever against UT during their "peak era".

I’m hoping Chris Mack finds a way back to Xavier for good. He’s horrible.
FI9YtuzVUAI3x0b

• Haha
I’m hoping Chris Mack finds a way back to Xavier for good. He’s horrible.
Yeah, he was never qualified to coach any power 5 program and should never have been considered for the UofL job. No way. The guy has a major immaturity problem and frankly, he’s not a good coach.
I thought it was a bad hire right from the beginning.

ADVERTISEMENT