ADVERTISEMENT

Tennessee picks up Tyreke Key Indiana State Guard out of portal

Let’s be fair about this Deller, you do take jabs at other teams and then get mad when somebody takes a jab at UT. That’s just what you do and it’s fine. We all know that’s your calling card. I love the back and fourth with you by the way. I will say like I did in another post that I am really happy for Key and I hope he does well for Tennessee but is he really the kinda player you start a thread about on the rivals board?
First of all, you were pretty nice in your original post, thanks for that. I suppose I do take some jabs, but they are light hearted jabs and I don't get mad. It's just fun to me. I even tried to cheer y'all up about Sharpe. I don't kick someone when they are down.

Reactions: cdbearde
I'm just hoping he helps us maintain our widening advantage over our rivals.😘

Kentucky could stop playing basketball altogether for the next twenty five years and Tennessee still wouldn't gain the advantage over them.

Kentucky could stop playing basketball altogether for the next twenty five years and Tennessee still wouldn't gain the advantage over them.
The gap is closing. It may be that your grandkids see the pass, but it has been since your grandparents since y'all did anything, so there is that. 😛

The gap is closing. It may be that your grandkids see the pass, but it has been since your grandparents since y'all did anything, so there is that. 😛

My Grandparents?

They saw six of eight national championships before their passing, more than UT will get if they play basketball for the next hundred years.

Historically, it’s not a ”gap”, it’s the Grand freaking Canyon.

I have a comment/question that probably requires @dukedevilz to address. Are mid major star guards struggling or thriving overall when they transfer to top 20 programs? It seems to me they are mostly struggling, but I can only think of a few so don't have nearly enough data to make that claim.

My Grandparents?

They saw six of eight national championships before their passing, more than UT will get if they play basketball for the next hundred years.

Historically, it’s not a ”gap”, it’s the Grand freaking Canyon.
Father+Time.png

Ok, I decided to verify what you said and sure enough here is a pic of you at UK's last Championship.

• Haha
Reactions: cdbearde
on that probably requires @dukedevilz to address. Are mid major star guards struggling or thriving overall when they transfer to top 20 programs? It seems to me they are mostly struggling, but I can only think of a few so don't have nearly enough data to make that claim.

Baylor had nice success with MaCio Teague (UNC Asheville) and Adam Flagler (Presbyterian). Significant contributors to their 2021 title team. But, both of those guys sat out a year. There's a colossal difference when these mid-major stars are thrown straight into the fire.

A few years ago, I started a worksheet where I tried to juxtapose the stats of guys transferring from mid-majors to high-majors. I was curious if there was a significant downward trend in their effectiveness on the court. I didn't get very far, unfortunately. But, here's a small sample size.

transferring-up.png

Kendall Smith was the only one of the six who didn't stink it up. 5 of the 6 guys averaged below 7 ppg. I really ought to complete this worksheet and use the past 5 seasons for data.

One of the more intriguing stats I've seen is that of guys transferring up during the 2019-20 season (without sitting out a season), Ryan Woolridge (Gonzaga, via North Texas) was the ONLY one who averaged double-digits.

Now, I will say that transfers are now coming out in droves. Last year, essentially everyone became immediately eligible. So, the talent in the portal is much, much better than it's ever been. For that reason, you will see some of these guys doing reasonably well. If you look at the P6 leagues, 5 of the all-conference performers actually transferred up.

Bryson Williams- Texas Tech (UTEP)
Tari Eason- LSU (Cincinnati)
Jayden Gardner- Virginia (East Carolina)
Jake Laravia- Wake Forest (Indiana State)
Michael Flowers- Washington State (South Alabama)

Cincy-LSU isn't necessarily a huge jump. And ECU and Indiana State play in solid conferences. So, I'm more surprised if it's someone coming from a true mid-major conference, like Michael Flowers or Bryson Williams. All that being said, yes, I tend to believe that guys that transfer up more often than not do struggle.

Tennessee should feel reasonably confident with Tyreke Key, however. Indiana State played at a slow pace and Key was still averaging north of 17 ppg. And his teammate, Jake Laravia, proved to be a valuable player in the ACC - and Key was much more impactful at ISU than Laravia was. Who knows how the shoulder injury will effect him, though? That's the biggest question mark. If he's healthy, I absolutely believe Key will start and be a double-digit scorer for Tennessee.

Baylor had nice success with MaCio Teague (UNC Asheville) and Adam Flagler (Presbyterian). Significant contributors to their 2021 title team. But, both of those guys sat out a year. There's a colossal difference when these mid-major stars are thrown straight into the fire.

A few years ago, I started a worksheet where I tried to juxtapose the stats of guys transferring from mid-majors to high-majors. I was curious if there was a significant downward trend in their effectiveness on the court. I didn't get very far, unfortunately. But, here's a small sample size.

transferring-up.png

Kendall Smith was the only one of the six who didn't stink it up. 5 of the 6 guys averaged below 7 ppg. I really ought to complete this worksheet and use the past 5 seasons for data.

One of the more intriguing stats I've seen is that of guys transferring up during the 2019-20 season (without sitting out a season), Ryan Woolridge (Gonzaga, via North Texas) was the ONLY one who averaged double-digits.

Now, I will say that transfers are now coming out in droves. Last year, essentially everyone became immediately eligible. So, the talent in the portal is much, much better than it's ever been. For that reason, you will see some of these guys doing reasonably well. If you look at the P6 leagues, 5 of the all-conference performers actually transferred up.

Cincy-LSU isn't necessarily a huge jump. And ECU and Indiana State play in solid conferences. So, I'm more surprised if it's someone coming from a true mid-major conference, like Michael Flowers or Bryson Williams. All that being said, yes, I tend to believe that guys that transfer up more often than not do struggle.

Tennessee should feel reasonably confident with Tyreke Key, however. Indiana State played at a slow pace and Key was still averaging north of 17 ppg. And his teammate, Jake Laravia, proved to be a valuable player in the ACC - and Key was much more impactful at ISU than Laravia was. Who knows how the shoulder injury will effect him, though? That's the biggest question mark. If he's healthy, I absolutely believe Key will start and be a double-digit scorer for Tennessee.
I really appreciate this type of analysis. It’s always hard to know how much is going to be immediately translatable at the higher level.

transferring-up.png

Great write up. Sounds to me like you have your next big summer project for the board.

ADVERTISEMENT