ADVERTISEMENT

Tell me about Villanova

Jul 6, 2007
please.

Just wondering what the board thinks about this 1-seed without digging through threads. Kind of want to take em to win the title in brackets I don’t pick the Heels. Thoughts?

please.

Just wondering what the board thinks about this 1-seed without digging through threads. Kind of want to take em to win the title in brackets I don’t pick the Heels. Thoughts?
Villanova hasn't performed to seed except once (2016) in the last 25 years or so (i don't know exactly how long before some nerd posts actual stats). I doubt it happens this year, I think the big east gets exposed a bit this tournament.

Reactions: 829305
Kind of want to take em to win the title

Your bracket before the 2nd weekend even starts....

giphy.gif

Since 2010, Nova has been to the tourney 7 times and lost in the 1st or 2nd round 6 of those times. Twice as a 1 seed, twice as a 2 seed.

When will people learn?

They like to shoot the ball. Their top 5 scorers all shoot above 38% from 3. They will spread you out, find the open shooter and make you pay. Jalen Brunson will win NPOY - Mikal Bridges is arguably the most versatile player in the country. They have a cakewalk to the Elite 8. They are a relatively safe bet, in spite of their tournament struggles this decade.

3-point field goal percentage: 39.8% (21st)
3-point fields per game: 11.4 (4th)
Field Goal Percentage: 50.4% (5th)
Free-Throw Percentage: 77.1% (19th)

Villanova's past struggles in the tournament aren't relevant to this year at all. They have an experienced senior PG in Brunson, a future NBA wing in Bridges and a versatile big man in Omari Spellman. Throw in bonafide scorers in DiVicenzo and Phil Booth and you have a very safe bet to reach the Elite 8 pretty safely.

Most years I don't have a lot of faith in them but I really like them this year.

Most years I don't have a lot of faith in them but I really like them this year.

I really think WVU could upset them- then again, I thought ASU was the best team in Pac-12 going into conference play, so who knows.

Villanova's past struggles in the tournament aren't relevant to this year at all. They have an experienced senior PG in Brunson, a future NBA wing in Bridges and a versatile big man in Omari Spellman. Throw in bonafide scorers in DiVicenzo and Phil Booth and you have a very safe bet to reach the Elite 8 pretty safely.

They always have experienced senior point guards. I'm too lazy to look up all the rosters but I know 2010 had Scottie Reynolds and Corey Fisher.

Last year they had Jalen Brunson, Josh Hart , Jenkins, Bridges, and pretty much everybody else that's still on that team

They still lose early most of the time

Last edited:
I really think WVU could upset them- then again, I thought ASU was the best team in Pac-12 going into conference play, so who knows.

Brunson is really good, but he hasn't seen anything like Jevon Carter or even Daxter Miles all year.

I like our guards against Nova's. They're battle tested... they go up against Devonte Graham, Trae Young, Keenan Evans, etc. 2 or 3 times per year.

Bridges would be a tough matchup. Depends which Esa Ahmad would show up.

Konate would eat them alive if he could stay on the floor.

We'd have to do a better job than usual defending the 3. Been a problem for us all year.

Last edited:
Brunson is really good, but he hasn't seen anything like Jevon Carter or even Daxter Miles all year.

I like our guards against Nova's. They're battle tested... they go up against Devonte Graham, Trae Young, Keenan Evans, etc. 2 or 3 times per year.

Bridges would be a tough matchup. Depends which Esa Ahmad would show up.

Konate would eat them alive if he could stay on the floor.

We'd have to do a better job than usual defending the 3. Been a problem for us all year.

I think Nova is a terrible matchup for WVA. if you can beat the press, there's tons of room on the wings to shoot 3s vs WVA. And no one shoots 3s better than Nova. As long as they can deal with the press, they should have no problem with WVA on that end of the floor. They have an elite NPOY PG, the best in the country. I like their odds vs the press.

As for Konate, his massive advantage on the defensive end won't come into play because Villanova doesn't bother going to the basket.

On the other end, Konate is great and the two guards can score, but as a team I don't see the outscoring Nova if Nova isn't hindered by the press.

I think Nova is a terrible matchup for WVA. if you can beat the press, there's tons of room on the wings to shoot 3s vs WVA. And no one shoots 3s better than Nova. As long as they can deal with the press, they should have no problem with WVA on that end of the floor. They have an elite NPOY PG, the best in the country. I like their odds vs the press.

As for Konate, his massive advantage on the defensive end won't come into play because Villanova doesn't bother going to the basket.

On the other end, Konate is great and the two guards can score, but as a team I don't see the outscoring Nova if Nova isn't hindered by the press.

At least you didn't try to tell me that WVU struggles on neutral courts again.

Nova is good, but there a several other teams that scare me more than them. No size, no depth.

Oh, and I'll take Jevon Carter over Brunson. Good thing DePaul was too dumb to offer a Chicago area kid like him. Winking

Last edited:
At least you didn't try to tell me that WVU struggles on neutral courts again.

Nova is good, but there a several other teams that scare me more than them. No size, no depth.

Oh, and I'll take Jevon Carter over Brunson. Good thing DePaul was too dumb to offer a Chicago area kid like him. Winking

lol like he would've ever come to DePaul. Even if that was his only offer I'm sure he would've just stuck with baseball or retired altogether. No one is that desperate.

There was a time in the past where we actually had plenty of stories of great players who wanted to come to DePaul, but we didn't even recruit them. Tim Hardaway, Dwyane Wade. But, those days are long gone.

Our biggest story in years was our dancing walk on who ended up on national news earlier this year. By the end of the year, Leito decided it wasn't good that our walk on was getting more notoriety than the team and he kicked him off the team. That's where DePaul is these days.

They like to shoot the ball. Their top 5 scorers all shoot above 38% from 3. They will spread you out, find the open shooter and make you pay. Jalen Brunson will win NPOY - Mikal Bridges is arguably the most versatile player in the country. They have a cakewalk to the Elite 8. They are a relatively safe bet, in spite of their tournament struggles this decade.

3-point field goal percentage: 39.8% (21st)
3-point fields per game: 11.4 (4th)
Field Goal Percentage: 50.4% (5th)
Free-Throw Percentage: 77.1% (19th)

Wichita St will send em packing.

Nova fan here: Biggest thing this team has going for it is a lot more pros on it, but not 1 & done guys. Bridges is the best pro prospect they've had since Tim Thomas/ Kittles. His offensive game was a disaster this time last year. Brunson, Spellman & maybe Paschall + Donte D will play in NBA.

This team is far more balanced than last year (two solid big guys, phil booth playing) and definitely more so then the teams that lost to Uconn & NC State. Scary thing is if their Defense plays like crap again/ they can't make anything from 3.

Last year's draw was BS and this year is much better. I like them to go to F4 and could go the distance.

Doogie, unrelated but do you still think wvu is better than ku?

I think we dominated probably 90 to 100 minutes of the 120 minutes that we played, and it took three freak occurrences for Kansas to win all three games. But no, when you go 0-3 you can't really talk smack anymore

I think we dominated probably 90 to 100 minutes of the 120 minutes that we played, and it took three freak occurrences for Kansas to win all three games. But no, when you go 0-3 you can't really talk smack anymore

Yeah, when you play them without their only post threat and lose by double digits, that argument kinda goes up in smoke.

BTW, it's a "freak occurrence" when a great 3-pt shooting team makes 15 threes, but not when a poor shooting team makes 14 and shoots 20% above their average?Laughing

Yeah, when you play them without their only post threat and lose by double digits, that argument kinda goes up in smoke.

BTW, it's a "freak occurrence" when a great 3-pt shooting team makes 15 threes, but not when a poor shooting team makes 14 and shoots 20% above their average?Laughing

We jist fouled at the end. That wasnt a typical double-digit game. 70+ percent from 3 for a half and close to 60 for the game is a pretty freak occurrence. Especially as tough as a lot of the shots were. And we still had an 8 or 9 point lead at least mid way through the 2nd half.

Then u have the other two big late comebacks plus 35-2.

Some pretty freaky stuff.

But hey... winners win and losers lose.

By the way I think you're better without azabuike. Even shorter bench, but look better on the floor.

Whether you win by an inch or a mile winning is winning

We jist fouled at the end. That wasnt a typical double-digit game. 70+ percent from 3 for a half and close to 60 for the game is a pretty freak occurrence. Especially as tough as a lot of the shots were. And we still had an 8 or 9 point lead at least mid way through the 2nd half.

Then u have the other two big late comebacks plus 35-2.

Some pretty freaky stuff.

But hey... winners win and losers lose.

By the way I think you're better without azabuike. Even shorter bench, but look better on the floor.

Right...an already thin frontcourt is better without a 7-ft beast who converts 77% of his shots. Good take.

Perhaps they looked better because WV shot like usual this time and KU's guards had a better than average shooting night.

Which is more unusual..KU shooting 56% from three or WV shooting 54%?

Right...an already thin frontcourt is better without a 7-ft beast who converts 77% of his shots. Good take.

Perhaps they looked better because WV shot like usual this time and KU's guards had a better than average shooting night.

Which is more unusual..KU shooting 56% from three or WV shooting 54%?

Okay so two freak occurrences and then a borderline freak occurrence the third time.

I already said winners win and losers lose. You won... 3 times.

I'm moving on.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT