ADVERTISEMENT

Teams with 4 NBA players who were winless in NCAA-T?

WeAreDePaul

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2017
I can only think of one program that had 4 NBA players on the court at the same time and never won an NCAA tournament game.

1998-2000 DePaul: Quentin Richardson, Bobby Simmons, Stephen Hunter, Paul McPherson.

Coached by used car salesman Pat Kennedy, maybe the worst game coach I've ever seen.

I wanted him fired from day 1. Ironically, he's better than anyone we've had in the 20 years since and i wish we still had him. If we're gonna be poorly coached I'd rather have one who can at least buy good players.

Are there any other programs that can boast such a powerful lineup of pros and not have a single NCAA-T win to show for it?

Kansas lost 1st round games in 2005 and 2006. There were several NBA players on those teams but most of them either won tournament games before or after.

2005 KU - Wayne Simien. Aaron Miles. Darnell Jackson. Keith Langford. Sasha Kaun. JR Giddens

2006 KU - Darnell Jackson. Sasha Kaun. Mario Chalmers. Brandon Rush. Julian Wright.

Those were 2 different teams and like I said all of them atleast won a tournament game for KU at one point. Nothing like DePaul having 4 guys for 3 years and winning 0.

06 guys were mostly freshman for KU who ended up winning the title.

I can only think of one program that had 4 NBA players on the court at the same time and never won an NCAA tournament game.

1998-2000 DePaul: Quentin Richardson, Bobby Simmons, Stephen Hunter, Paul McPherson.

Coached by used car salesman Pat Kennedy, maybe the worst game coach I've ever seen.

I wanted him fired from day 1. Ironically, he's better than anyone we've had in the 20 years since and i wish we still had him. If we're gonna be poorly coached I'd rather have one who can at least buy good players.

Are there any other programs that can boast such a powerful lineup of pros and not have a single NCAA-T win to show for it?

Pat Kennedy was a solid coach...in the late 80s. What he did with George McLoud and getting him out on the perimeter in 88 and 89 was brilliant.

But unfortunately he became a drunk. He spent more time on Tennessee Street in Tallahassee chasing co-eds than he did watching film. And he definitely pushed the envelope with recruiting too. The fact that our team with Sam Cassell, Doug Edwards, Bob Sura, Charlie Ward, Chuck Graham, and Rodney Dobard lost 9-10 games is all the proof you need that he was hitting the sauce hard by the mid 90s.

Pat Kennedy was a solid coach...in the late 80s. What he did with George McLoud and getting him out on the perimeter in 88 and 89 was brilliant.

But unfortunately he became a drunk. He spent more time on Tennessee Street in Tallahassee chasing co-eds than he did watching film. And he definitely pushed the envelope with recruiting too. The fact that our team with Sam Cassell, Doug Edwards, Bob Sura, Charlie Ward, Chuck Graham, and Rodney Dobard lost 9-10 games is all the proof you need that he was hitting the sauce hard by the mid 90s.

the rumor was that he got hired at DePaul because him and our AD Bill Bradshaw were drinking buddies.

UNC had 3 this season: Brooks, Bacot, and Anthony.
There's an outside shot at a fourth if Black, Harris, or Francis somehow have breakout careers at UNC. Although unlikely, it's within the realm of possibility.

UNC had 3 this season: Brooks, Bacot, and Anthony.
There's an outside shot at a fourth if Black, Harris, or Francis somehow have breakout careers at UNC. Although unlikely, it's within the realm of possibility.

Brooks has won an NCAA-T game so UNC doesn't qualify. Also, you're only using one year. I'm talking about the entire career of the players.

Coached by used car salesman Pat Kennedy, maybe the worst game coach I've ever seen

Pretty damning when you also had Jerry Wainright and Oliver Purnell to choose from.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
Pretty damning when you also had Jerry Wainright and Oliver Purnell to choose from.

Yea we've had a murders row of horrible coaching. At least PK could buy recruits. 20 years later and we haven't had as good of players as we got with Kennedy. And the coaching has been just as crappy. We'd be better off if we just kept PK all those years ago.

Yea we've had a murders row of horrible coaching. At least PK could buy recruits. 20 years later and we haven't had as good of players as we got with Kennedy. And the coaching has been just as crappy. We'd be better off if we just kept PK all those years ago.
I didn’t mind Wainright and was definitely pulling for him being a local guy (Berwyn, Leyden). It’s Purnell who’s incompetence completely floored me. He came from the ACC so had been surrounded by good basketball but I t’s like he wanted to collect a check and ride off into the retirement sunset frequenting Chicago’s best dining establishments, record and success be dammed.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
Kansas lost 1st round games in 2005 and 2006. There were several NBA players on those teams but most of them either won tournament games before or after.

2005 KU - Wayne Simien. Aaron Miles. Darnell Jackson. Keith Langford. Sasha Kaun. JR Giddens

2006 KU - Darnell Jackson. Sasha Kaun. Mario Chalmers. Brandon Rush. Julian Wright.

Those were 2 different teams and like I said all of them atleast won a tournament game for KU at one point. Nothing like DePaul having 4 guys for 3 years and winning 0.

That was a rough time. I remember I was passing through Denver on a ski trip on the day of the Bradley game, and we stopped at ESPN Zone just in time to see the last several minutes of that disaster. Basically ruined the trip. Only got worse when we drove through a blizzard coming back down the mountain.

That was a rough time. I remember I was passing through Denver on a ski trip on the day of the Bradley game, and we stopped at ESPN Zone just in time to see the last several minutes of that disaster. Basically ruined the trip. Only got worse when we drove through a blizzard coming back down the mountain.
It was terrible. I had a lot of hope for that tournament. Started off 10-6 and then went 15-1 over their last 16 with a dominating win in the Big 12 tournament title game over arguably the best Texas team under Rick Barnes. Then sadly, Bradley.

I got nothing so far.

UNLV hasn't won any NCAAT games this decade, and they've had 4 different years with 3 NBA players. Perhaps if one more guy makes it to the league, they could qualify.

Georgia Tech had 4 NBA players in 2010 (Derrick Favors, Iman Shumpert, Glen Rice Jr, Gani Lawal), and the only win for the group came in the 1st round round in 2010 against Oklahoma State. Close again, but not quite. Would be quite the dubious honor for DePaul and Pat Kennedy.

Reactions: GE Nole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT