ADVERTISEMENT

Teams that will suffer setbacks and return to mediocrity in next few years

Virginia
UNC
Louisville
Xavier

What else do you get for this list?
I dont see why UVA will return to mediocrity. Or UNC. UVA should have Hunter, Guy and Jerome back and Bennett's system doesnt really need top talent. They've been great doing it like this for years now. Dont see why that will change in the years to come. It's not like TB has been funneling in 5 star talent every year. And UNC has some good recruits coming in next year a long with Maye coming back and well some really good big men from this year. UNC will be UNC.

Louisville isn't just going to have a setback, they could be well below .500 in league play for the next couple years.

Not sure why you think UVA or UNC will have setbacks. Xavier loses a lot off this team, and I honestly have no clue what their recruiting pipeline looks like, but something tells me they will be fine if they keep Chris Mack.

Reactions: KisteK and jhmossy
Louisville isn't just going to have a setback, they could be well below .500 in league play for the next couple years.

Not sure why you think UVA or UNC will have setbacks. Xavier loses a lot off this team, and I honestly have no clue what their recruiting pipeline looks like, but something tells me they will be fine if they keep Chris Mack.

Depends with us. We need a SG and PF in this class of '18 so hopefully Mack can get 1 of each.

Here's our roster for next year:
PG - 4* Darius Perry/Ryan McMahon
SG - 3* Ryan McMahon/ 4* Nwora
SF - 5* VJ King/Nwora
PF - T Dwayne Sutton/ 4* Lance Thomas
C - T Steven Enoch/5* Malik Williams

We need more depth at SG and PF, possibly PG if you add a backup. All very talented players though. Freshman have been getting a ton of minutes lately. Just depends on the coach and who he can snag late in the recruiting. There are a ton of 4*+ prospects left plus grad transfers..

Virginia
UNC
Louisville
Xavier

What else do you get for this list?

I notice you have a hard on for UNC. We'll be just fine next year with the recruits we got coming in and returning talent. Also we will challenge for the conference title. I notice in one of your posts we will return to mediocrity. With titles in 05, 09 and 17 when were we ever there?

Last edited:

For UVA, this historical upsets will haunt them for the next 5-10 years. They may never be able to recover from this, even if they could the setback would be inevitable. When Iowa State and South Carolina suffered 15 over 2 upsets, they took over a decade to finally rebound from the nightmare. Now we are talking about the ultimate choke artist, 16 over 1 upset.

For UNC, they have had their good 3 years run, but the poor recruiting over the last few years will eventually bring them back to mediocrity. After they won in 2009, UNC had been mediocre from 2010 - 2015 with the only exception of 2012 when they were a contender. It wont surprise me if they have another 5-6 years of setback like what happened years ago.

For Xavier, I just think they have peaked and will never be as good as a #1 seed anymore. Chris Mack may be leaving, but its hard to imagine they keep up with this even if he stays.

For UVA, this historical upsets will haunt them for the next 5-10 years. They may never be able to recover from this, even if they could the setback would be inevitable. When Iowa State and South Carolina suffered 15 over 2 upsets, they took over a decade to finally rebound from the nightmare. Now we are talking about the ultimate choke artist, 16 over 1 upset.

For UNC, they have had their good 3 years run, but the poor recruiting over the last few years will eventually bring them back to mediocrity. After they won in 2009, UNC had been mediocre from 2010 - 2015 with the only exception of 2012 when they were a contender. It wont surprise me if they have another 5-6 years of setback like what happened years ago.

For Xavier, I just think they have peaked and will never be as good as a #1 seed anymore. Chris Mack may be leaving, but its hard to imagine they keep up with this even if he stays.

Have you checked out our recruiting class coming and returning players? You must be a teenager because anyone that follow hoop know we're not going anywhere.

Reactions: KisteK
You don't know that. You really don't know what you're talking about and if you follow hoops you'd know. So I guess the team you follow will get there annually huh?
This guy comes around every year in February and March with hot takes that only he believes are even plausible. He makes more mistakes with his grammar than I do, which is saying a lot, and then brags about being an Ivy League grad. Then he disappears. Happens every year. Still trying to figure him out. Long term project and all.

WOW! Not sure how you can conclude UNC is going to drop off considering they are bringing in a really good class. If we are to hold UNC to the same standards as KU, UK, or Duke, they should be able to restock the cupboard rather quickly. Also take into consideration Roy always fields really competitive teams. Will they be younger? Yes, but the talent won't be an issue. UNC lacked presence in the post this season. I think Brooks, Manley and Huffman will all be considerably better starting next season. If Johnson returns, he and Luke Maye will be the veteran leaders and stars. Nassir Little is a stud!

Last edited:
I think huggs has at least 5 or 6 years left, but we'll see who wvu hires after that.

Huggs will probbaly hand pick his guy. Could go after Frank Martin.

If we don't make a good hire we could really slide.

One thing that makes me feel a little better is we started winning before Huggs, with Beilein.

nobody except for those of us who follow college hoops closely will even remember UVA in 2 or 3 years except for every year in March when the college basketball hits the forefront because of the NCAA tourney and they remind everyone of the past upsets. Duke, Arizona, Syracuse, Michigan St, Georgetown, have all suffered 15 over 2 upsets and I'm pretty sure its didnt take them a decade to rebound from it. And South Carolina didnt suck for a decade because they lost to a 15 seed, it was because they were South Carolina

Last edited:
Depends how you define mediocrity. UVA probably isn't going to be 31-3 year after year but we're also not going to continually miss the tournament either. UVA's ceiling is limited because of the lack of post play. Austin Nichols really ****ed us over in that regard.

UVA continually manages to overachieve and underachieve in the same year. It's quite extraordinary. We started the season unranked and #6 in the ACC poll. We played way above our heads for the most of the year and then played like a bunch of betas in the first round.

Reactions: Wojoman and GE Nole
I think the OP is probably 8 years old and can barely remember back to Selection Sunday; to include a Roy Williams coached program or North Carolina with the word mediocre is delusional. Even Duke is a Johnny-Come-Lately relative to UNC who rarely goes consecutive years without a tourney run into the second weekend.

Reactions: 829305
I do think UNC could suffer a bit of a setback next season....unless they find a point guard. UNC fans would have a better gauge than I do, but is Seventh ready to be the guy? I mean, I know he's not today, but he has seven months before practice starts again and he is going to be a junior. It would seem if there's going to be a jump with him that it would happen soon. Both Coby White and Nassir Little are guys who can help right away, but I think they're both more effective playing off the ball.

I do expect UNC's recruiting to become what it once was again....if it hasn't already started. They probably won't be two-seed good next season, but I think four or five is pretty reasonable. That doesn't seem too drastic to me when I consider they're losing two of the better 'program' kids they've had in a long time.

I do think UNC could suffer a bit of a setback next season....unless they find a point guard. UNC fans would have a better gauge than I do, but is Seventh ready to be the guy? I mean, I know he's not today, but he has seven months before practice starts again and he is going to be a junior. It would seem if there's going to be a jump with him that it would happen soon. Both Coby White and Nassir Little are guys who can help right away, but I think they're both more effective playing off the ball.

I do expect UNC's recruiting to become what it once was again....if it hasn't already started. They probably won't be two-seed good next season, but I think four or five is pretty reasonable. That doesn't seem too drastic to me when I consider they're losing two of the better 'program' kids they've had in a long time.
i can agree with that for next year but the OP's stance that they are going to return to mediocrity (if they were ever there in the first place) in the next few years is a bit of a stretch. I'm not saying i wouldnt enjoy them having another NIT season every now and then but it makes CBB better when its blue bloods are good. And i dont think UNC is going anywhere.

Xavier has been a solid team for the last 15 years. Don't know why they'd go back to mediocrity. They'll continue to get underrated recruits and when their coach leaves they'll plug another one in there with no problem.

Depends with us. We need a SG and PF in this class of '18 so hopefully Kevin Stallings can get 1 of each.

Here's our roster for next year:
PG - 4* Darius Perry/Ryan McMahon
SG - 3* Ryan McMahon/ 4* Nwora
SF - 5* VJ King/Nwora
PF - T Dwayne Sutton/ 4* Lance Thomas
C - T Steven Enoch/5* Malik Williams

We need more depth at SG and PF, possibly PG if you add a backup. All very talented players though. Freshman have been getting a ton of minutes lately. Just depends on the coach and who he can snag late in the recruiting. There are a ton of 4*+ prospects left plus grad transfers..

fixed it for ya Winking

Reactions: KisteK
Carolina won't suffer setbacks until there is a commissioner in the ACC who isn't a tarheel.

It's Tar Heel.

No, I don't think Seventh is ready to be the guy. However, injuries have really messed him up so there is hope that he could take a jump. I think it is more than injuries though. He was getting surpassed by guys even before college before all the injuries. What the injuries did was take away the one thing that made him special and he is left with just being ok without that.

I think Coby can run the point similar to Berry, which isn't ideal but will work ok. Honestly, I think White's game can be compared to Lilliard a little bit (NOT saying he is on that level or even will be, just a style comparison). He has better vision and passing ability than Berry but Joel made up for a lot with toughness and his nature.

Yeah, I think 4 or 5 seed is realistic, but I also thought that was what they would be this year. Honestly, that is probably what they were talent wise but they played well enough against enough tourney teams to overachieve a bit. Losing Berry and Pinson will hurt. I think Black could eventually do some of what Theo did but not next year. We need Robinson to kind of be that guy and I have no faith in that. I'm extremely high on Little though. I'm higher on him that I was on Barnes tbh. I think he excels next year, which is odd for me to think about freshman at UNC. Of course, I could be wrong, lol.

fixed it for ya Winking
tumblr_m9pjcfWLHt1rdutw3o1_500.gif

Reactions: mebeblue2
So is that your excuse why your wuffie team sucked for all these years?
If I was the commissioner of the ACC, then Carolina would have gotten the same treatment as we have. How in this day and age can you have someone so biased in charge of running a conference? John Swofford played football at Carolina and then became the athletic director. No conflict of interest there...

Michigan St.

Izzo can still recruit some great talent but his schemes are 10 years in the past. Guards who can’t penetrate and playing two big men at the same time in the post is not the way you win in the current college basketball landscape. They’ll take a major step back next season.

Depends how you define mediocrity. UVA probably isn't going to be 31-3 year after year but we're also not going to continually miss the tournament either. UVA's ceiling is limited because of the lack of post play. Austin Nichols really ****ed us over in that regard.

Well last season your team was a #5 seed and got completely humiliated by Florida in round of 32, this is a good example of mediocrity. I expect that UVA will do no better than that for the next few years.

OP is stupid.
I agree, but I expect some drop off from UNC next season. Berry and Pinson did a lot for this team and not just on the court but leadership in the locker room, etc. Maybe Kenny Williams or Luke Maye will fill that gap, maybe not. I have no clue who is going to play PG for UNC next year but as a rival fan I hope and pray it's Seventh Woods. There are big question marks around UNC's bigs too... I expect them to improve with another year of experience but how much? Maye is a good player but really struggles against good defenses/athletic bigs and I think he has hit his ceiling and won't improve much. He was really good this year so that's not a knock on him I just don't see anyway he is better next year with the loss of Berry and Pinson. Little is really good but Roy isn't a fan of starting freshmen over upperclassmen so how much burn does he get? I think UNC will be a good team next year, just don't expect them to be a title contender or anything. I don't agree that they'll be mediocre, OP is a troll.

Roy Williams system needs a capable PG to be relevant, without a decent PG they will underachieve, its not news anymore.

If I was the commissioner of the ACC, then Carolina would have gotten the same treatment as we have. How in this day and age can you have someone so biased in charge of running a conference? John Swofford played football at Carolina and then became the athletic director. No conflict of interest there...

920x920.jpg

I agree, but I expect some drop off from UNC next season. Berry and Pinson did a lot for this team and not just on the court but leadership in the locker room, etc. Maybe Kenny Williams or Luke Maye will fill that gap, maybe not. I have no clue who is going to play PG for UNC next year but as a rival fan I hope and pray it's Seventh Woods. There are big question marks around UNC's bigs too... I expect them to improve with another year of experience but how much? Maye is a good player but really struggles against good defenses/athletic bigs and I think he has hit his ceiling and won't improve much. He was really good this year so that's not a knock on him I just don't see anyway he is better next year with the loss of Berry and Pinson. Little is really good but Roy isn't a fan of starting freshmen over upperclassmen so how much burn does he get? I think UNC will be a good team next year, just don't expect them to be a title contender or anything. I don't agree that they'll be mediocre, OP is a troll.

No doubt. We’re losing some serious leadership. Both will be missed. But, even if we’re mediocre next year, we aren’t going “back to mediocrity.” To me that’s the dumbest part of his statement. Carolina may not be great next year, and may struggle to the bubble (even though I doubt it). But, to say a team that’s won 3 titles in the last dozen-ish years was ever mediocre (as opposed to a down year) is just dumb. He’s trolling, hard, considering he started a similar topic twice.

Reactions: KisteK and tw3301
Well last season your team was a #5 seed and got completely humiliated by Florida in round of 32, this is a good example of mediocrity. I expect that UVA will do no better than that for the next few years.

Possibly. That was our worst year in the last 5 years. But a 5-seed for us considering our history is not mediocrity at all.

Even though we choked in 2016 and 2018, I’ve resigned myself to accepting the fact whoever replaces Izzo won’t be as good.

You guys been sucking for years. Your AD ran off the good coach you had (Sendek) and hired Lowe who flopped which led to Gottfried. To say you guys sucked because Swofford was the conference commissioner is sad. Bottom line your AD is responsible for that but you can’t or probably won’t be able to grasp that.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT