ADVERTISEMENT

Teams that can beat Gonzaga

Original_Irish

Apr 27, 2010
As the resident Gonzaga fan on this board, I think it's my responsibility to calm the storms whenever the hype goes up for GU. So let's talk about some of Gonzaga's flaws as well as teams that I believe could beat Gonzaga.

2 major Flaws:
Timme still is not a great defender and gets burned in pick and roll defense.
This team is a good 3pt shooting team but not a great 3 pt shooting team. I see a lot of players who are likely going to be around 37.5% from 3 at the end of the year. That is a recipe for cold shooting nights and we have already seen that happen a couple times against lesser competition this year.

Teams I think can beat GU (Especially in March):
Duke: They can match up physically with GU. I don't see another Baylor yet this season who has the depth, athleticism, 3 pt shooting ability that their guards had. They were truly a great team and played lights out against GU. I think this year, teams that can beat GU will have to beat them inside and that seems to be strengths of a lot of good teams this year as well.

Kentucky: Oscar scares the crap out of me. He dominated the Zags last year when he played for WVU. This is the guy that could get 10 offensive boards against them. I expect them to continue to grow throughout the season.

Purdue: Size down low and an elite guard. Great recipe to knock off the Zags.

Kansas: Different than the first 3. If there is a team that has the elite guard play to beat the Zags, I think they are it.

It's early in the season and I haven't seen everyone play yet. These are the teams so far that give me the most concern. Feel free to add others and I look forward to seeing how this season plays out.

Reactions: idaho_bob
Speaking of Gonzaga what happened to that one fan that came in talking all kinds of shit then was never seen again after Y'all lost to Baylor?

As for Kentucky, Idk. Even if Oscar/Timme is a wash Kentucky doesn't really have anyone for Chet. Their 4's are tweeners. If Washington keeps improving like he has I think that could be a real edge but I don't trust Cal.

Reactions: RipThru
Speaking of Gonzaga what happened to that one fan that came in talking all kinds of shit then was never seen again after Y'all lost to Baylor?

As for Kentucky, Idk. Even if Oscar/Timme is a wash Kentucky doesn't really have anyone for Chet. Their 4's are tweeners. If Washington keeps improving like he has I think that could be a real edge but I don't trust Cal.
Lol that was a weird day or two. but I'm pretty sure I told him to get lost. Not a lot of Gonzaga fans on Rivals or 24/7. The have a huge message board group on their local newspaper (Spokesman Review) and they all talk there.

Ya I don't think that Kentucky can beat GU now, but I'm projecting on them. Oscar though is the guy who I have seen wreck GU before though.

Memphis is a team to watch. They’re young and need to improve on the offensive end but their overall size and athleticism is enough to give everyone problems

3 pt line gives the underdog a real shot in a lot of games that on paper wouldn't make sense. Run into a buzzsaw as a chalk and it's pearl clutching time.

Lol that was a weird day or two. but I'm pretty sure I told him to get lost. Not a lot of Gonzaga fans on Rivals or 24/7. The have a huge message board group on their local newspaper (Spokesman Review) and they all talk there.

Ya I don't think that Kentucky can beat GU now, but I'm projecting on them. Oscar though is the guy who I have seen wreck GU before though.
Until Calipari can find his way past the Kansas States and Indianas in their down years, etc in the tourney, GU seems highly unlikely. I appreciate your thought though.

Much respect for the Zags program!

No lie. Which ones are so volatile since you know so much about their players personalities. Only one ive even ever heard anything negative is Landers Nolley and thats just bc of something about how or why he transferred from VT but it wasnt something super agregious.

Never heard a bad thing said about duren or bates or any of the others personality wise.

By all means, why not say which memphis players will cause their volatile meltdown.

If Gonzaga plays at the level they did vs UCLA----good luck. And the scariest part is Hickman and Sallis are only going to get better, and better. Nembhard is playing at a very high level...Their transition game is elite. Their defense is Top 15----good enough when you score as they do. Holmgren is the real deal. Timme, love or hate, is a monster.

Right now, I just don't see anyone beating them. But CBB is crazy---Duke might boat race them tomorrow---but I doubt it.

Good realistic excuses for UCLA. They played a back to back , tired legs? Also Cody Riley didn't play.
Gonzaga also played back to back so no. Riley not playing is a legit excuse though, but he’s not good enough to make up the 20 pt difference.

Memphis is a team to watch. They’re young and need to improve on the offensive end but their overall size and athleticism is enough to give everyone problems
I don’t see it with Memphis. Gonzaga isn’t losing to a couple of guys who should still be in high school.

If Gonzaga plays at the level they did vs UCLA----good luck. And the scariest part is Hickman and Sallis are only going to get better, and better. Nembhard is playing at a very high level...Their transition game is elite. Their defense is Top 15----good enough when you score as they do. Holmgren is the real deal. Timme, love or hate, is a monster.

Right now, I just don't see anyone beating them. But CBB is crazy---Duke might boat race them tomorrow---but I doubt it.
Cmon man. This shit gets blown out of proportion every year with that squad.

As the resident Gonzaga fan on this board, I think it's my responsibility to calm the storms whenever the hype goes up for GU. So let's talk about some of Gonzaga's flaws as well as teams that I believe could beat Gonzaga.

2 major Flaws:
Timme still is not a great defender and gets burned in pick and roll defense.
This team is a good 3pt shooting team but not a great 3 pt shooting team. I see a lot of players who are likely going to be around 37.5% from 3 at the end of the year. That is a recipe for cold shooting nights and we have already seen that happen a couple times against lesser competition this year.

Teams I think can beat GU (Especially in March):
Duke: They can match up physically with GU. I don't see another Baylor yet this season who has the depth, athleticism, 3 pt shooting ability that their guards had. They were truly a great team and played lights out against GU. I think this year, teams that can beat GU will have to beat them inside and that seems to be strengths of a lot of good teams this year as well.

Kentucky: Oscar scares the crap out of me. He dominated the Zags last year when he played for WVU. This is the guy that could get 10 offensive boards against them. I expect them to continue to grow throughout the season.

Purdue: Size down low and an elite guard. Great recipe to knock off the Zags.

Kansas: Different than the first 3. If there is a team that has the elite guard play to beat the Zags, I think they are it.

It's early in the season and I haven't seen everyone play yet. These are the teams so far that give me the most concern. Feel free to add others and I look forward to seeing how this season plays out.
Well, UK beat Albany so there is that.

• Haha
Reactions: cdbearde
Cmon man. This shit gets blown out of proportion every year with that squad.
Yeah,I know----And all they have done since 2015 is go to 4 ELite 8's and play for two National titles. But other than that----you're right.

Notes: Odds are, had COVID not cancelled 2020 NCAAT, they get to another E8 or FF.

Crazy how going to 4 E8's, playing for two national titles in 6 years is "shit getting blown out of proportion."

Yeah,I know----And all they have done since 2015 is go to 4 ELite 8's and play for two National titles. But other than that----you're right.

Notes: Odds are, had COVID not cancelled 2020 NCAAT, they get to another E8 or FF.

Crazy how going to 4 E8's, playing for two national titles in 6 years is "shit getting blown out of proportion."
Yeah but the original question is who can beat them. I’m sorry but there are teams that can beat you on any given night. Gonzaga gets extra love because they blow out their regular season opponents and have crazy good records prior to the tourney. They would have a bunch more losses in a tougher conference. They are not an unbeatable juggernaught. They are an excellent program with an excellent team.

Yeah but the original question is who can beat them. I’m sorry but there are teams that can beat you on any given night. Gonzaga gets extra love because they blow out their regular season opponents and have crazy good records prior to the tourney. They would have a bunch more losses in a tougher conference. They are not an unbeatable juggernaught. They are an excellent program with an excellent team.
I didn't say no one couldn't beat them----I said if they played as they did vs UCLA, I doubt anyone could/would beat them. Tonight they were 6-22 from three, and turned it over 17 times. And only got to the line 11 times(made 7).

And I don't know about a bunch of more losses.....Maybe not 30-2, or what not---But they'd still be in line for a 1 seed, no matter what conference they played in.

Gonzaga gets the love they get b/c they are fukin' really good. I get tired of hearing the conference thing....Every year we hear it, and every year these dudes are in the Elite 8, or the FF. Gonzaga in the ACC, Big 10,,B12, SEC,would lose more than two/three games in the reg. season---No doubt. But thats irrelevant----Because even with 5,6 or even 7 losses, they'd still be in line for a 1 or 2 seed, simply b/c they would compete for a league title every year.

Victim of their success. Zags are always gonna be under a microscope because they have reached the F4 multiple times recently as a non-traditional "power" program. Their HC turned out to be a long hauler and they are now recruiting at a high level. Everyone is watching. Return leading scorer off a team fresh off final game appearance, that produced two 1st rd NBA picks, add a top recruit and they deserved to be where they were ranked.

Playing a wicked OOC schedule... they've played if you are 2-2 with those 4 games against TX, UCLA, Duke, and Alabama.. most fans are satisfied with 2-2 vs those 4.

Yeah they are exposed some people probably saw it sooner than others, they are not a defensive juggernaut. They lack athleticism, guard play suspect to an extent. Gonna be tough to win 6 in a row the way they play D, but only one team is winning 6 in a row anyway.

Jabari smith will make Chet and drew his bitch if auburn plays them.

ADVERTISEMENT