ADVERTISEMENT

Tampering in College Basketball?

Clonewithasigh

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2001
So it appears that UNC folks have reached out to Tyrese Hunter from ISU and offered him a large amount of $$$ to play for them. Hunter is expected to enter the transfer portal within the next 48 hours because of it.

Let’s see where things like this take college athletics.

So it appears that UNC folks have reached out to Tyrese Hunter from ISU and offered him a large amount of $$$ to play for them. Hunter is expected to enter the transfer portal within the next 48 hours because of it.

Can you please define "UNC Folks". I'm pretty the coaching staff cannot promise money for play, I don't think the staff can be directly involved in that.

Can you please define "UNC Folks". I'm pretty the coaching staff cannot promise money for play, I don't think the staff can be directly involved in that.
Neither can boosters as the young man is not in the portal yet. I suspect the info getting out early will eliminate UNC, but the opportunity for others will be there once he puts his name in.

Lol, you do know this was just a rumor started by some random dude that is just a straight up lie.

UNC has zero scholarships available for anyone. Use your brains, people.

Lol, you do know this was just a rumor started by some random dude that is just a straight up lie.

UNC has zero scholarships available for anyone. Use your brains, people.
After seeing the OP I went searching to see if there was any bit of information out there. I guess it was floated on an Iowa State home board but couldn’t find it anywhere else.

if Caleb Love leaves then there would be a spot available, but I’m not sure adding another 6’0 guy to create the smallest backcourt in the ACC would be the way to go. I assume they’d prefer to have a stretch four.

Hunter can basically handpick where he wants to play now. UNC? Kansas? Duke? Wisconsin? He'll be one of the best point guards in America next year.

Hunter can basically handpick where he wants to play now. UNC? Kansas? Duke? Wisconsin? He'll be one of the best point guards in America next year.
He will but my guess is UNC is eliminated by the info that came out. While all the tweets have been deleted, the damage has been done and the NCAA has been notified. He will end up somewhere where his eligibility is guaranteed.

He will but my guess is UNC is eliminated by the info that came out. While all the tweets have been deleted, the damage has been done and the NCAA has been notified. He will end up somewhere where is eligibility his guaranteed.
Why would that matter? Oscar and UK had some smoke. Auburn and Kessler was rumored while the season was still going on.

He will but my guess is UNC is eliminated by the info that came out. While all the tweets have been deleted, the damage has been done and the NCAA has been notified. He will end up somewhere where is eligibility his guaranteed.

Wasn't there smoke last year with CJ Frederick and Walker Kessler? Plausible deniability is always a good counter.

Why would that matter? Oscar and UK had some smoke. Auburn and Kessler was rumored while the season was still going on.
They will investigate the UNC connection and his transfer approval will be held up. He won’t take that chance.

They will investigate the UNC connection and his transfer approval will be held up. He won’t take that chance.
jennifer-lawrence-oh-ok.gif

Well, the initial favorites are already coming out and UNC didn’t make the cut. Wisky, L-ville, UK, and KU, are the potential suitors. Maybe UNC ups their initial offer and he reconsiders, but it is doubtful.
Where are you seeing this?

We had the same thing happen to two of our football WRs this offseason smh.

Im pretty sure Its illegal, to tamper before the player enters the portal. I think uk wasnt allowed to recruit one of our football transfers bc he had pics on social media with their coaches before he hit the portal. That also might be homeboard BS

Im pretty sure Its illegal, to tamper before the player enters the portal. I think uk wasnt allowed to recruit one of our football transfers bc he had pics on social media with their coaches before he hit the portal. That also might be homeboard BS
Of course it is. If it didn’t happen then these guys wouldn’t have initial lists of teams that actually do recruit them right after.

I think back room conversations happen with high school coaches or parents calling and checking waters before they leave. That’s why there is often smoke before people actually leave (sometimes even before the season is over).

I personally was just questioning UNC being involved here. But the Iowa State poster was setting it up as UNC being both on the list or off the list as proof of guilt.

I am sure UK wants those Louisville rejects. It's not like UK has won the last 3 games by 109 combined points or anything. ;)

I am sure UK wants those Louisville rejects. It's not like UK has won the last 3 games by 109 combined points or anything. ;)
Yea i have no clue. It was Jordan watkins. He had pics with him and vince morrow on social media before he entered the portal, then once he did UK either didnt or couldnt get involved bc of those social media pics. He ended up at Ole Miss so not like he went to some mid major scrub.

We also hd honebord rumors that WR T Harrell was being with tampered with by alabama, and by the end of the week he had entered the portal and is set to visit Alabama this weekend 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Lol, if you are going to go dumb at least go full dumb and this Iowa fan is doing that in spades.

I do respect the way he faded it by saying 'now' UNC won't be listed so he can stand by his story though. At least he was smart enough to think ahead a little bit.

Last edited:
If someone would know about tampering it would be an Auburn fan. Everyone at UNC knew Pearl was talking to Kessler his entire freshman season. I have no issues with it though. It was a great move for both parties but honestly any fan of a school that employs Pearl should basically sit out almost any conversation.

Lol, if you are going to go dumb at least go full dumb and this Iowa fan is doing that in spades.

I do respect the way he faded it by saying 'now' UNC won't be listed so he can stand by his story though. At least he was smart enough to think ahead a little bit.
Listen sport, tweets came out by fans of UNC making claims that Hunter had struck a deal with UNC folks on an NIL deal and even stated an amount. They thought the kid was already in the portal and it was done. Hunter hadn’t announced anything about even entering the portal. They quickly deleted the tweets but we know how that works. Don’t be an idiot on this one because this kid is a bit higher profile than the average portal guy and the misdeeds were obvious.

Listen sport, tweets came out by fans of UNC making claims that Hunter had struck a deal with UNC folks on an NIL deal and even stated an amount. They thought the kid was already in the portal and it was done. Hunter hadn’t announced anything about even entering the portal. They quickly deleted the tweets but we know how that works. Don’t be an idiot on this one because this kid is a bit higher profile than the average portal guy and the misdeeds were obvious.

When made up 'misdeeds' are clearly made up just take the L and move on. You came, you said some dumb things, you should have just left. No one would have really cared. We all get duped sometimes. People who would know got a kick out of these rumors though. Those are the people to listen to. Not random butthurt fans of a program upset because some dude doesn't want to play there anymore. He isn't welcome at UNC. Sorry, bud.

When made up 'misdeeds' are clearly made up just take the L and move on. You came, you said some dumb things, you should have just left. No one would have really cared. We all get duped sometimes. People who would know got a kick out of these rumors though. Those are the people to listen to. Not random butthurt fans of a program upset because some dude doesn't want to play there anymore. He isn't welcome at UNC. Sorry, bud.
Get a clue as folks just aren’t as ignorant as you think they are. But you are correct that he won’t be at UNC if he wants to be eligible to play right away. Maybe he was enticed by the fantom classes that basketball players get credit for at UNC.

Get a clue as folks just aren’t as ignorant as you think they are. But you are correct that he won’t be at UNC if he wants to be eligible to play right away. Maybe he was enticed by the fantom classes that basketball players get credit for at UNC.

He won't be at UNC because UNC has 13 scholarship players and have had 13 scholarship players this entire time. I'll let you in on a little inside information some people close to the program have shared with me. 13 scholarships are all they are allowed. It seems that folks actually are as ignorant as you think I think they are if folks actually treat trolling internet rumors as fact.

Even though you spelled phantom phonetically correct, perhaps you need some of those classes.

Reactions: 829305
He won't be at UNC because UNC has 13 scholarship players and have had 13 scholarship players this entire time. I'll let you in on a little inside information some people close to the program have shared with me. 13 scholarships are all they are allowed. It seems that folks actually are as ignorant as you think I think they are if folks actually treat trolling internet rumors as fact.

Even though you spelled phantom phonetically correct, perhaps you need some of those classes.

Seems like all of this would be dependent on Caleb Love. I mean, if Love is still there, you wouldn't seek another guard in the first place. If he leaves, you're missing a starting guard - and you now have an open scholarship.

Reactions: Villian07
Seems like all of this would be dependent on Caleb Love. I mean, if Love is still there, you wouldn't seek another guard in the first place. If he leaves, you're missing a starting guard - and you now have an open scholarship.

Yes, if Love leaves they would have an open spot. But if anything the thought is that he stays. He may not but right now I would say that is slightly more likely. Regardless, that has nothing to do with this.

If someone would know about tampering it would be an Auburn fan. Everyone at UNC knew Pearl was talking to Kessler his entire freshman season. I have no issues with it though. It was a great move for both parties but honestly any fan of a school that employs Pearl should basically sit out almost any conversation.
Had unc not paid him off to come there in the first place we wouldnt have had to tamper. Unc fans can also hardly be the authority on morality in college sports though seeing how you you had an entire fake academic program for athletes. Gtfo hypocrite

Yes, if Love leaves they would have an open spot. But if anything the thought is that he stays. He may not but right now I would say that is slightly more likely. Regardless, that has nothing to do with this.
How would whether or not love is on the team not affect this? For one thats the scholly opened up, for two they basically play the same position, lead guard. You can argue hunter is a pg and davis is yalls pg, but love and hunter are both ball dominant guards regardless if you wanna peg them as a 1 or 2

How would whether or not love is on the team not affect this? For one thats the scholly opened up, for two they basically play the same position, lead guard. You can argue hunter is a pg and davis is yalls pg, but love and hunter are both ball dominant guards regardless if you wanna peg them as a 1 or 2

Because this is a fabricated story.

If Love leaves they will add someone. But at no point was this particular player ever contacted by UNC before or after he entered the portal, which was what I understand the crux of this discussion to be about.

Because this is a fabricated story.

If Love leaves they will add someone. But at no point was this particular player ever contacted by UNC before or after he entered the portal, which was what I understand the crux of this discussion to be about.
You have no damn clue if he was contacted or not. You are a fan dude. Gtfo thinking you know 100 percent as to what went down.

Reactions: Villian07
Eye on College Basketball podcast had an episode today where they discussed his departure.

They did mention the UNC rumor and that they looked into that and it was completely false. Nobody would know 100% but I haven’t seen anyone with any credibility claiming it.

Iowa State seems to always be one of the most active programs in the portal. That’s how you turn a 2 win team into a sweet 16 team in a year. But the portal gives and the portal takes away.

Reactions: WojoRising
Also, I don't care how much money UNC offers anyone tbh. The more the better if it lands good players. But that doesn't mean people should be dumb enough to believe random rumors some internet troll makes up.

Reactions: KisteK
ADVERTISEMENT