ADVERTISEMENT

Talk to me about Providence….

AuHoosier420

Gold Member
Oct 9, 2008
They keep winning but I feel like no one has talked about them at all. Would think they should be a solid 2 seed as of right now in the tourney. Up 2 games in the Big East. Blowout losses to uva and Marquette.

One of the more interesting resumes that I can ever remember. All they do is win... but usually not by very much. They're 9-0 in games decided by 5 points or less. 13-0 in games decided by 10 points or less.

The metrics hate Providence (47th in KenPom). They win close games, and have been blown out in both of their losses. Watson is the leader of the team. Bynum, Durham, and Horchler all play well. But, no bonafide superstars on this team. I think people get hesitant about Providence because they don't strike you as a Final Four team. They look like a good team, someone that might be a capable of winning a game or two in the tournament. But, most people don't think they'll go very far in March. And most don't think they're better than Villanova.

Only stat that really matters, though, is they're 21-2. If they keep winning, they could legitimately earn a 1 seed. Crazy thing about PC is, they have never won a regular season conference championship. They currently have two less conference losses than Villanova. Could be an exciting finish in the Big East down the home stretch.

Reactions: englandnu
One of the more interesting resumes that I can ever remember. All they do is win... but usually not by very much. They're 9-0 in games decided by 5 points or less. 13-0 in games decided by 10 points or less.

The metrics hate Providence (47th in KenPom). They win close games, and have been blown out in both of their losses. Watson is the leader of the team. Bynum, Durham, and Horchler all play well. But, no bonafide superstars on this team. I think people get hesitant about Providence because they don't strike you as a Final Four team. They look like a good team, someone that might be a capable of winning a game or two in the tournament. But, most people don't think they'll go very far in March. And most don't think they're better than Villanova.

Only stat that really matters, though, is they're 21-2. If they keep winning, they could legitimately earn a 1 seed. Crazy thing about PC is, they have never won a regular season conference championship. They currently have two less conference losses than Villanova. Could be an exciting finish in the Big East down the home stretch.
They play Villanova this week. Win that game and they probably lock the big east up

Providence is in Rhode Island.

I believe Providence was one of the first cities to industrialize.

Pretty solid for the LGBT community folk so if that's you, not a bad place to live.

I think I saw somewhere they are looking to improve their public transit also.

I think I saw a stat that says they have the best luck rating in Kenpom history. Take that for what it's worth. They looked awful against us. Also, take that for what it's worth.

More than likely they get the seed their resume points to as deserving but then fail to play to their seed. This is what they refer to as, the "Hopgood Hunch"

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I think I saw a stat that says they have the best luck rating in Kenpom history. Take that for what it's worth. They looked awful against us. Also, take that for what it's worth.
They are currently tied with 2008 Wagner (which went 23-8 and was KenPom #228 with an AdjO of 87.1 and AdjD of 103.6). Both teams are miles ahead of anyone else in the KenPom era.

Best luck rating in KenPom history:

2022 Providence .226
2008 Wagner .226
2021 Cleveland State .199
2012 Norfolk(in) State .189
2021 Navy .179
2013 Montana .175
2010 Oakland .173
2003 Austin Peay .171
2022 Siena .170

They are closer to a 2 right now than a 4 and pretty much all mock brackets agree with me on this
I've seen them as a 4 more times than not. I think I saw them as a 3 in 1 bracket.

For them to get a 2, they better not lose on the way out, their metric numbers are not 2 seed worthy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT