ADVERTISEMENT

Subjective Calls.

The poorest called sport in the U.S. is college basketball.

Everything is subjective. In the SEC it is subjective on steroids.

There are a relatively small group of refs who have the "in" on the major college basketball conferences and they all have favored teams and it shows.

College football is well called. Basketball sucks.

The best gd thing would be to emphasize the art of the no call.
My mentor preached this...He told me, "Krice the best call you can ever make, is a no-call...You master that, and you'll be just fine.."---I live by, "its not a foul, until its a foul". Meaning just b/c there is contact, doesn't mean there needs to be a whistle.

The poorest called sport in the U.S. is college basketball.

Everything is subjective. In the SEC it is subjective on steroids.

There are a relatively small group of refs who have the "in" on the major college basketball conferences and they all have favored teams and it shows.

College football is well called. Basketball sucks.
Basketball is by far the most difficult sport to call. 10 dudes in a small area, where contact is legal, but also illegal?---Yeah, good luck.

Football SHOULD be well called---there are 8 of them. And even then they seem to **** shit up. Especially targeting....

The fact is I shouldn't know the name of any ref.
Pat Adams, Doug Shows, Karl Hess. I could go on.

057f522c28274ba03302b62544ea0c96_400x400.jpeg

The fact is I shouldn't know the name of any ref.
Why? Dude has been calling major CBB for over 36+ years....Worked 9 Final FOurs and 2 National title games....1,000+ games on natuonal TV...Works in one of the premier conferences in all of CBB...

I'd be concerned if you didnt know his name.

This is the absolute shittiest take I've ver heard from anyone.

Why? Dude has been calling major CBB for over 36+ years....Worked 9 Final FOurs and 2 National title games....1,000+ games on natuonal TV...Works in one of the premier conferences in all of CBB...

I'd be concerned if you didnt know his name.

This is the absolute shittiest take I've ver heard from anyone.
Wow....Very original. You spin this gem up by yourself---or you get help from moms and pop?

You nor anyone else on here would know a good official if it smacked ya your hillbilly forehead.
College Basketball Sport GIF by NCAA March Madness

Basketball is by far the most difficult sport to call. 10 dudes in a small area, where contact is legal, but also illegal?---Yeah, good luck.

Football SHOULD be well called---there are 8 of them. And even then they seem to **** shit up. Especially targeting....

Football would be easy….

if anyone knew what a catch is.

Get rid of the charge.
I’d like to see a preference toward no-calls in a lot of the block-charge situations.

If we get rid of the charge altogether, there’s no risk to the ballhandler just barreling his way to the hoop. There just needs to be a higher threshold for the amount of contact that warrants a whistle.

I’d like to see a preference toward no-calls in a lot of the block-charge situations.

If we get rid of the charge altogether, there’s no risk to the ballhandler just barreling his way to the hoop. There just needs to be a higher threshold for the amount of contact that warrants a whistle.
I’d like for them to allow far more contact on someone driving before there’s a whistle. Maybe not 1980s level but somewhere in the 90s.

tbh college basketball as a whole seems so subjective right now because so many of the games allow far, far too much contact. because of that, at times it feels completely subjective as to what is / isn't a foul.

it needs a clean up of the jr high style grabbing and holding.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
How about...you can't call that in that situation, usually referring to a last second play.

My absolute fav.

tbh college basketball as a whole seems so subjective right now because so many of the games allow far, far too much contact. because of that, at times it feels completely subjective as to what is / isn't a foul.

I agree they need to clean it up but your team will pay the price for that.

you can still have offensive fouls without having charges. Offensive players can still be guilty of lowering the shoulder or pushing off. Those calls should still be made.

What I want to see gone are the weakside defenders stepping into the lane and trying to draw charges.

Maybe that's the rule I am actually campaigning for. How about this rule:

As a defender you can no longer set your feet and wait for an opponent. You can only collect charges when you are moving your feet.

I actually love that idea. Forces players to defend by moving their feet rather than just waiting in a spot.

I do agree with your other point that there needs to be way more no calls in these situations. Just because a defender hits the ground doesn't mean you need to blow your whistle.

I totally agree.

I love college basketball and watch way, way too much. In one night you can watch three games in the same damn conference and see three different sets of officiating. And those same officials two days later will call a game differently simply based on who is playing.

I don't give a damn about what others say, I know for a fact that most college officials are biased after all they are human. Many of their calls depends on who they want to win. Plus I will bet that many play the odds and win money on their calls in a big game. One point makes a difference in your bet and you can sure make a difference in one little call late in the game.

If you think that some refs don't have side bets on games that they call then you need to call me. I got some good mountain top property in South Florida that I will sell you cheap! :D I will be setting by the phone.

Also John Higgins will be sitting beside St. Peter when you get to heaven. If you go to hell John will be fueling the fire!

Last edited:
I totally agree.

I love college basketball and watch way, way too much. In one night you can watch three games in the same damn conference and see three different sets of officiating. And those same officials two days later will call a game differently simply based on who is playing.

I don't give a damn about what others say, I know for a fact that most college officials are biased after all they are human. Many of their calls depends on who they want to win. Plus I will bet that many play the odds and win money on their calls in a big game. One point makes a difference in your bet and you can sure make a difference in one little call late in the game.

If you think that some refs don't have side bets on games that they call then you need to call me. I got some good mountain top property in South Florida that I will sell you cheap! :D I will be setting by the phone.

Also John Higgins will be sitting beside St. Peter when you get to heaven. If you go to hell John will be fueling the fire!

So college basketball refs have side bets, but all refs of other sports are clean. Interesting.

I totally agree.

I'm unsure of the why it's happening - whether it be refs get influenced by coaches or home crowds, work too many games, are biased, or just aren't good in general - but the bolded part is the frustrating deal here.

But regardless of the why, it's still shocking to me that cleaning up the game hasn't been one of the off-season points of emphasis in YEARS. It's such a glaring need and for some reason the powers at be don't want to change it.

Which is just such a bad idea because the variance of the way the college game is called is just going to continue to add to people not trusting the officiating.

• Love
Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
I'm unsure of the why it's happening - whether it be refs get influenced by coaches or home crowds, work too many games, are biased, or just aren't good in general - but the bolded part is the frustrating deal here.

But regardless of the why, it's still shocking to me that cleaning up the game hasn't been one of the off-season points of emphasis in YEARS. It's such a glaring need and for some reason the powers at be don't want to change it.

Which is just such a bad idea because the variance of the way the college game is called is just going to continue to add to people not trusting the officiating.
yes sir. You nailed it.

I've read many times that some coaches have clout to where others piss and moan all game and get on the ref's nerves so they don't get the calls. I've read that from our local resident among others.

That's horseshit, right? Call the game.

Is it a bit bs that refs talk prior to games and have a quick whistle for the tendencies of some players?

you can still have offensive fouls without having charges. Offensive players can still be guilty of lowering the shoulder or pushing off. Those calls should still be made.

What I want to see gone are the weakside defenders stepping into the lane and trying to draw charges.

Maybe that's the rule I am actually campaigning for. How about this rule:

As a defender you can no longer set your feet and wait for an opponent. You can only collect charges when you are moving your feet.

I actually love that idea. Forces players to defend by moving their feet rather than just waiting in a spot.

I do agree with your other point that there needs to be way more no calls in these situations. Just because a defender hits the ground doesn't mean you need to blow your whistle.

I’m good with that if it is accompanied by a reduction in the number of block calls. My fear is that we’d see even more blocks called because the ‘obvious’ charges (guy holding his junk and getting run over) will become less obvious and harder to call.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
ADVERTISEMENT